The future of GoPro

ob
1/10/2018 9:06am
All I know about this is that my 5 black shoots some insanely good video.
1/10/2018 9:09am
Maybe their problem is they last too long ? Planned obsolescence. Lol.
1/10/2018 9:39am
That's what happens when you make products don't break, should of taken a page out of apples book :D
nrosso391
Fantasy
3479th
1/10/2018 9:42am
...and to think of all the other action camera companies and all of their money that couldn't enter our sport because GoPro had a monopoly on...
...and to think of all the other action camera companies and all of their money that couldn't enter our sport because GoPro had a monopoly on action cam advertising.
That's a lie! GoPro had sole action cam sponsorship for AMA SX/MX. They wouldn't even let riders use their own cam if it wasn't a GoPro on the track, which is totally BS politics from GoPro. Remember when Reed couldn't run his 360 cam? That's when he said he hated the politics of American racing. Garmin is smoking GoPro right now. And they should be! They added so much more telemetry and gps data to basically the same camera for less money. And they came out with a 360 cam before GoPro.

The Shop

nrosso391
Fantasy
3479th
1/10/2018 9:46am
WhiteTaco wrote:
At least when they televise GoPro video the quality is good. Remember the nationals last year with the Garmin? I was embarrassed for Garmin.
At least when they televise GoPro video the quality is good. Remember the nationals last year with the Garmin? I was embarrassed for Garmin.
cappelmans wrote:
I thought that was next level what Garmin did. They showed a very good 360 quality cam before GoPro at that time
/\
THIS!
Garmin looked 10 times better than the 360 cam. I will say the GoPro new 360 cam doesn't look bad video wise, less bubble vision. But the thing isn't shaped right at all to put on a helmet...Its like putting a sail on the top of your helmet.
RandyS
1/10/2018 10:00am Edited Date/Time 1/10/2018 10:35am
I was just reading about money spent spent by Nick Woodman. In 2012 he bought a yacht for 30 million or so. In 2014 he donated 500 million to a charity in Silicon Valley. At some point he bought a 60 million dollar Gulfstream. In 2015 he ordered another yacht for about 50 million. In 2014 Gopro was paying him 285 million a year. And at one point on paper he was worth 3.2 billion, based on that being that the majority of that 3.2 was Gopro stock he is worth about 240 million this morning. It's doubtful that he's ever going to be homeless but I'd bet we're going to see 0-3.2 billion and back down near zero in the span of less than 10 years. That right there is a big part of what happened to Gopro, if the CEO blows through "on paper" money like that imagine what the company run by that same Ceo blew through. 1.3 billion in revenue in 2014 and they paid him 285 million, now I assume that a good portion of that was not cash but that still seems insane for a publicly traded company. This is the problem with making these instant billionaires. At least Gopro had a product, some of these websites that are worth tens and hundreds of billions based on faith that they will avoid being the next Myspace is just insane. Guess it's not surprising coming from species that will accept currency coming from thin air and backed by zero, zip, nada.
roninho
1/10/2018 11:06am
roninho wrote:
I wonder what the future for action cams is in mx. In the nerherlands we are not allowed to use a helmet cam on any track...
I wonder what the future for action cams is in mx.

In the nerherlands we are not allowed to use a helmet cam on any track since start of 2017.
blaney372 wrote:
Why aren't you allowed to use them? That's super interesting.
Tonynz wrote:
NZ the same can’t have them on our helmets.
I am not 100% certain why but what i have heard is that its an insurance issue. The cam could cause more damage/injury in a crash (being placed on a helmet).
RCF
1/10/2018 11:13am
blaney372 wrote:
Tonynz wrote:
roninho wrote:
I am not 100% certain why but what i have heard is that its an insurance issue. The cam could cause more damage/injury in a crash...
I am not 100% certain why but what i have heard is that its an insurance issue. The cam could cause more damage/injury in a crash (being placed on a helmet).
A lot of Hare scrambles don't allow them, they claim the video can be used to shut riding areas down. at least that's what they say at the riders meeting.
jasonward73
1/10/2018 11:31am
blaney372 wrote:
Tonynz wrote:
roninho wrote:
I am not 100% certain why but what i have heard is that its an insurance issue. The cam could cause more damage/injury in a crash...
Helmets don't receive their safety rating with any external items attached to it.

I've seen some vids on YouTube of street bikers that have helmet cams getting warnings/tickets from Cops who just pulled them over to run their license or give them some shit in general and used the helmet cam as a reason to do so.

I'd bet a ton of money it's something to do with that.
jasonward73
1/10/2018 11:41am
Correct, though it appears the $7500 rebate may be expiring for Tesla. As the Model 3 production lines catch up, that will make a huge difference...
Correct, though it appears the $7500 rebate may be expiring for Tesla.

As the Model 3 production lines catch up, that will make a huge difference. Being off by a year in production estimates isn't something that only Tesla has experienced.

Not mentioned is the revenue being created by solar (they bought SolarCity) and the batteries. In 2020 CA will require all new home to "create their own power", which is a fancy way of saying solar for all new homes. Many local municipalities already require it on new construction. Fast forward a few years and I expect storage (batteries) to be required too.

Full disclosure: I work for Tesla.
The rebate won't be expiring. It's only good for the first 200,000 (or something close to that) EV cars produced by a given company. And it doesn't just end. It starts to taper off. So if you're car # 210,000 you still get a federal rebate just not the full $7500. It's a tiered system.

And to be clear... It's the same exact system that all manufactures of cars get to use.

One other tidbit I forgot to mention is that unlike the bail out loans provided to other manufactures the American people actually profited off of the startup loan. Tesla paid it back with interest and ahead of time. On top of the fact that Tesla is made in America and continues to employ almost 50,000 people.

It never ceases to amaze me the level of anger/hate people display towards a made in USA company that is essentially the same as the big 3 in Detroit. And even more confusing is that the more someone wraps themselves in an American flag the higher the chance they'll yell about how much they hate Tesla on their way to buy something from Walmart that is made in China.
Holigan
1/10/2018 12:04pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2018 12:05pm
blaney372 wrote:
Tonynz wrote:
roninho wrote:
The initial reports of Michael Schumacher's skiing accident stated he had a camera attached to his helmet. It is a bad idea for anything to stick out of a helmet, you want a round surface. You don't want the impact to be focused on one point.
2b
1/10/2018 12:12pm
Beeby wrote:
I have a hero 3, black edition (I think it’s called) and it’s great. It’s pretty much indestructible which is probably the issue. Make something that...
I have a hero 3, black edition (I think it’s called) and it’s great. It’s pretty much indestructible which is probably the issue. Make something that lasts and you don’t get enough repeat buyers. Sure, the newer models are probably lots better but the quality of the image from the one I have is so good I just don’t need another.

Kind of shot themselves in the foot making them so good!

I had one for racing and even then it felt like a fairly big investment but I used it each weekend. I went on a cruise a few years back and they were EVERYWHERE. Seemed people used them to make general video of their holiday, for in the water, for taking photos of tourist attractions and everything. So I’m really surprised the company is struggling unless these people all got home and found their footage sucked?!
˄ This

i have a Hero 3 Silver , it cant even do 1080 at 60FPS, but it will do 720 at 60FPS, the files are still huge and the quality good enough.
AND its indestructible with the Case, these new models dont have a case ?
1/10/2018 1:15pm
2b wrote:
˄ This i have a Hero 3 Silver , it cant even do 1080 at 60FPS, but it will do 720 at 60FPS, the files are...
˄ This

i have a Hero 3 Silver , it cant even do 1080 at 60FPS, but it will do 720 at 60FPS, the files are still huge and the quality good enough.
AND its indestructible with the Case, these new models dont have a case ?
After looking at the website the new cameras are waterproof up to 33ft, so they don't come with a case, but the case is an optional accessory.
TXDirt
1/10/2018 1:21pm
Tesla paid back all their govt loans ahead of time and with interest. Same can’t be said for GM and Chrysler. We literally bailed them out...
Tesla paid back all their govt loans ahead of time and with interest. Same can’t be said for GM and Chrysler. We literally bailed them out and other than keeping heir doors open “we” got nothing back.

And every electric car built is eligible for the same federal rebate. It’s not exclusive to Tesla. By a $35k Chevy Bolt and you get $7500 back.

Whether Tesla eventually succeeds or not is a topic to debate but they’re actually getting less subsidized than others in the industry.

I will add that all this “they’re not making money yet” talk was said about Amazon, Google, Facebook, Twitter, IG, etc... How many wish they bought stock 10yrs again for any of those companies???? Time will tell. Nothing is for sure.
Shawn142 wrote:
This is exactly what kicks my ass about people claiming the government sells Tesla's for Elon. The EV credit is available for EVERY automaker, and believe...
This is exactly what kicks my ass about people claiming the government sells Tesla's for Elon. The EV credit is available for EVERY automaker, and believe me they use it. So why is the hate directly squarely at Telsa for it? Other than the tax credit available to all car makers and the original bail-out loan that has already been repaid the government doesn't offer Telsa any special assistance.

The profit thing is also painfully true. Tesla is still in its infancy. Every dollar made is reinvested. While there have been big hiccups in production the cars are still in demand and every one made is already sold.
Tesla hemorrhages $8,000 of capital a minute at it's current burn rate.

You gotta sell a shit ton of cars to sustain that.
numba1 fan
1/10/2018 1:33pm
This is a huge bummer! If GoPro sells then it just wont be the same company and will become like NoFear did in the MX industry. It's crazy to think that they are losing money when i see them being used everywhere. I just went to Thailand a couple of months ago and pretty much every traveler i met had one, the police in thailand had them on their helmets or on their chest with the strap and my Toyota Tacoma even has a gopro mount built into it which helps push their product. Really surprised how they messed this one up.

My main thing with the Gopro is understanding how to use it correctly. There are so many features and setting that can be adjusted that to the average consumer is just too much to learn and not an easy consumer experience. It takes some awesome shots but i cant get my videos like the ones on their marketing channel and i really feel like that is because i lack a good laptop with the ability to use an editor and add additional edits on top of it. Most people just stick with their phones for ease of use and ability to edit and upload to social media. Cant really blame
jasonward73
1/10/2018 2:57pm
TXDirt wrote:

That’s why Tesla sells more than just cars. It’s also an energy company.

kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
1/10/2018 4:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2018 4:57pm
Tonynz wrote:
roninho wrote:
Holigan wrote:
The initial reports of Michael Schumacher's skiing accident stated he had a camera attached to his helmet. It is a bad idea for anything to stick...
The initial reports of Michael Schumacher's skiing accident stated he had a camera attached to his helmet. It is a bad idea for anything to stick out of a helmet, you want a round surface. You don't want the impact to be focused on one point.
Yep. Torque.
TXDirt
1/11/2018 5:34am
TXDirt wrote:

That’s why Tesla sells more than just cars. It’s also an energy company.

Are you referring to the solar panel company they overpaid for? Or the battery company where Panasonic owns much of the intellectual property?

I like Tesla as much as the next guy, but they will need to start producing cars at scale soon. They put out lofty projections, then lower those projections, then fail miserably trying to meet their already lowered projections. They are not even the biggest EV car maker in the world.

It could be 5-10 more years (if they find money to last that long) before they are producing cars at any meaningful scale. All the major car makers are spending a lot on R&D on EV. There is likely to be even more EV choices from the major car manufacturers in that period of time.

Props to Musk for trying with Tesla. It’s yet to be determined if Tesla will actually succeed long term. Vehicle manufacturering isn’t cheap...
rocky94
1/11/2018 7:19am
zookie wrote:
GoPro has missed the boat big time in my opinion. No cameras with good optical image stabilization. No waterproof gimbal. No data overlay (speed, altitude, direction...
GoPro has missed the boat big time in my opinion. No cameras with good optical image stabilization. No waterproof gimbal. No data overlay (speed, altitude, direction for action sports (or integration with data recording (RPM, speed, gear, G force for car guys). They didn't get into any other industries where their tech could have been huge (dash cams, security cameras, police body cameras, etc) before others did.

GoPro management has had their heads up their asses for years to not try something else in their space. The one thing they did try (Karma) was a massive investment in a space already dominated by DJI. Unlike a dash cam, security cam, etc...GoPro did not have the in-house expertise to produce an easy to fly Drone. Freaking expensive project to develop after you get the resources to make it happen and learn what needs to be learned to make something as easy to fly as a DJI.

I wish GoPro the best, but can't see this ending well. They have a convertible debt load due in 2022 that is approaching their cash in hand. Their cash in hand is going to continue to hemmorage itself as they struggle to survive. Not sure why any other company would want to buy them since EVERYONE else does what GoPro does now. The only reason would be to get a bargain price on the name brand and the aftermarket that relies on that name brand. Bet it goes chap 11 then the IP and name are sold to cover some portion of the convertible note due in 2022.
They have data overlay

https://youtu.be/y1UFnPQmCUw
Jmicmoto13
1/12/2018 12:07pm
Have a watch of this video about the demise of GoPro. Great information. And if that is true above, that the CEO was buying $50 million dollar yachts and other extravagant items, that’s a shame. I guess he will learn a lesson from this one way or another.

https://youtu.be/l4fHeiqtGOA

Post a reply to: The future of GoPro

The Latest