The foolishness of men of a certain age

Related:
Create New Tag

12/23/2019 9:17 PM

Say what you want to about Jody and mxa, but everybody over 30 can appreciate this for what it is, a well written article from someone that truly loves our sport.

https://motocrossactionmag.com/the-foolishness-of-men-of-a-certain-age/#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-foolishness-of-men-of-a-certain-age

|

12/23/2019 9:51 PM

I like this line, haha
"Motocross racing is lost on the young"
Kinda true.

|

12/23/2019 10:18 PM

And that's good enough reason to remain a kid all your life.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

12/24/2019 1:50 AM

I like this line,
"It’s sad that old people don’t risk their lives more often—it would make living a few more years seem more precious"
I don't know how many otmx guys are in here, if so you know these guys,
Barry will be the young guy in the 80 class next year
Photo
Each year Dick runs his age for his number, next year he's running number 85 blink What a stud. The fact that he can load his bike, get his gear on, and get on his bike alone puts him miles past the average 85 year old, the fact that he still gets around a motocross track very well at 85 is mindblowing....
Photo

|

12/24/2019 2:32 AM

sumdood is right, I've seen too many people die young because they were a couch potato. Us older folks gotta keep moving. To all of you young gun's...take care of your health and hold onto it.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

12/24/2019 4:09 AM

Great read, love you all, my brothers!

|

12/24/2019 4:20 AM

Next year I’ll be 18 for the 28th time I’m getting good at it w00t I try and keep my foolishness that I had in my youth still do the stupidest of things on and off the bike. Dick at 85 is my new idol what a legend. I hope to be the old guy at family bbqs that still has some pep in my arse and the kids sit around waiting for another funny one liner man I hope I never become the get of my lawn guy......

|

12/24/2019 10:21 AM

There's a gentleman who races quads in GNCC. Jake Stratton is his name. He is 82 years old, and won the 60+ class for 2019...

|

Many thanks to everyone helping me out this GNCC season: SRT Offroad, Acerbis, FCR Suspension, O'Neal Racing, Evans Waterless Coolants, Rekluse, Twin Air, Braking Brakes, Carbsport

Profile image credit Ken Hill Photography

12/24/2019 1:09 PM

A saying that always springs to mind is one I heard from a friend at school many years ago......"I may only be young once, but I can be immature forever". It may or may not be apt in this case, but it seems to ring true on too many occasions.

|

12/24/2019 1:31 PM

That’s an article that actually makes me want to ride. I’ve been virtually off the bike for about a year with only a couple of rides and I’m itching to ride again lately.

Good job at putting it into perspective.

|

12/24/2019 2:32 PM

great article..

|

It's the nexus of the crisis
And the origin of storms

12/24/2019 2:36 PM

I’m 63 and not above screwing up!! But not like in my younger years!!!!

|

12/24/2019 4:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2019 4:29 PM

i remember when I was in my 20’s thinking how I couldn’t wait to be in the vet classes as there were always only a handful of guys and they were the definition of old guy style plus there used to be split programs and they were always done by noon.

. I must have not been the only one thinking that though. Now I’m 40+, and the age class guys are just as fast as most the A/B kids and theyre the same guys that used to kick my ass 20 years ago. AAAANND no more split programs !!!

Can’t wait to be in the 50 and 60+.

|

12/25/2019 1:26 AM

I'll be racing a few this year again, common sense says I shouldn't but I'm not "common" and screw having any sence.
12/3/63

|

12/27/2019 7:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2019 9:42 AM

Good read. I'm in my 30s but getting closer to my 40s. Sometimes I wonder when I will decide to hang it up, but I hope that never happens. Racing the Vet National at High Point every year, is always 1 of the highlights of the year for me. It is great to see everyone of all ages just going out and enjoying the sport.

|

12/27/2019 8:34 AM

Excellent article!!! I posted it on my FB page.

|

2015 Kawasaki KX 250F
2015 GasGas TXT Racing 125
2015 Husqvarna TC 125
2018 KTM 150 XC-W

12/27/2019 8:43 AM

47 years old an still living by this mantra

|

12/27/2019 10:18 AM

I remember being 16 and watching the Senior classes and scoffing "why are these guys out here?" What a punk I was- I simply didn't get it. Now I am one of those old guys and have seen the same look on younger people's faces- but also the occasional cheer for the old dude (even though I'm wearing gear from five years ago and my bike is almost an antique).

|

12/28/2019 1:39 PM

|

12/28/2019 1:45 PM

Great article....life is short and at 54 I am enjoying racing and riding more than ever. # simplethings😎🤙 Photo

|

12/28/2019 1:46 PM

I remember 20 some years ago justifying getting a new bike, saying to myself, what the heck, might as well buy it, it'll be my last bike. 14 bikes latter, picked up my '19 YZ250F last fall...Waiting for my 50th birthday in 2 years so I can probably justify buying my last bike...

|

12/28/2019 2:29 PM

This mornings foolishness lol I had an argument with a vine hanging on a trail it caught my front brake and I tucked and rolled w00t

Photo

|

12/28/2019 5:44 PM

crowe176 wrote:

i remember when I was in my 20’s thinking how I couldn’t wait to be in the vet classes as there were always only a handful of guys and they were the definition of old guy style plus there used to be split programs and they were always done by noon.

. I must have not been the only one thinking that though. Now I’m 40+, and the age class guys are just as fast as most the A/B kids and theyre the same guys that used to kick my ass 20 years ago. AAAANND no more split programs !!!

Can’t wait to be in the 50 and 60+.

I'm 53, racing in the 50+ age group...trust me, it doesn't get any easier!

|

Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous. Checkout; ABetterStockMarket.com