The final word on SFF spring conversions? Please advise (KTM/GG/HUS)

R VanKamp77
Edited Date/Time 10/21/2022 12:01pm
I am really struggling to find comfort with my GG and I'm ready to bite the bullet and fix the forks rather than sell it as it is overall more expensive to sell it and get something else (losses) than it is to spend some money to fix the front end.

I have vague front end feeling with "eh" traction and the braking bumps are absolutely sucking the life out of me. How do I know? I finally got a chance to ride a bike with some KYB forks on it and I didn't know whether to cry or quit. I had no idea what I was missing out on. The bike felt like I was riding on a cloud. It gave me such a massive sigh of relief to know my program and efforts weren't trash.

I have to absolutely death grip the bike unless the track is smooth as a highway.

Dilemma:
My budget is about 1,000 on the forks. I am trying to buy my first house and start a family and the excessive bike expenses are not permitted in this season. I am very comfortable with an SFF conversion price point, but will this solve the problems mentioned in the above paragraph? I have used the search function and read every thread about this twice now. If you think the SFF kits suck, explain why. I want to learn why they suck. If you think they're good, explain how and your skill level.

Rider details: 200 lb, 6'3", race 250B, 450B, +25 Open, maybe some other 'open' classes. Strictly ride motocross and live in the south riding clay, mid-soft dirts.

Forks: JBI DIY kit, 150 PSI, not set up too extreme hard or soft. Feels great and JBI transformed this bike. I have nothing but positivity about his work, I think it's just more the air fork than anything else. Stock maxxis tire. PHDS Bar mounts as well with the green elastomers.

Shock: Middle of the road settings again, 104mm sag, 5.0 kg/mm rear spring. Starcross 5 medium.

Share your experiences and if you have some advice I'd love to talk. Thanks everyone!
|
thorns
9/18/2022 8:49pm
If you haven't had a listen yet, check out Keefers podcast on it.
From memory, I think the coppersmith option was around your price range and was reasonably even with the Xact forks and the KYB insert options, although all had there strength and weaknesses.
R VanKamp77
9/18/2022 9:02pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2022 9:11pm
thorns wrote:
If you haven't had a listen yet, check out Keefers podcast on it. From memory, I think the coppersmith option was around your price range and...
From memory, I think the coppersmith option was around your price range and was reasonably even with the Xact forks and the KYB insert options, although all had there strength and weaknesses.
THIS is exactly why i made this thread. Thank you!

I had thought the coppersmith kit was like 2500 dollars or something. Do you have a link to the specific episode you're referring to? I am very very interested. That coppersmith kit looks like a winner, but I am kind of still wondering if the standard SFF kit could provide similar feel. Either way, I'm intrigued. I'll call them tomorrow to get some details regardless.

Edit: is this the same kit that was once $950, now advertised on their site for 1495.......? What the heck happened?

Edit again... looks like its 1075 which seems more reasonable. I might just be dense.

The Shop

R VanKamp77
9/18/2022 9:13pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Have you revalved your shock yet?
No, not yet. It feels good, less the harshness under acceleration bumps but I'm not really sure what to do about that. FWIW the kyb stuff I rode was actually worse in these conditions.

I think I'm pretty happy with the shock performance to be honest. You know the saying, "the best you know is the best you've ridden" so maybe it sucks lol.
NSP139
9/18/2022 9:16pm
Talk to Factory Connection we did a KYB swap on my kids bike with their bladder on the rear shock completely different bike! It's set up for Pro speed but still feels super plush to me as a slow old guy LOL compared to my WP!
R VanKamp77
9/18/2022 9:19pm
NSP139 wrote:
Talk to Factory Connection we did a KYB swap on my kids bike with their bladder on the rear shock completely different bike! It's set up...
Talk to Factory Connection we did a KYB swap on my kids bike with their bladder on the rear shock completely different bike! It's set up for Pro speed but still feels super plush to me as a slow old guy LOL compared to my WP!
Well.... what was your total investment lol. I would love to go KYB up front and a full workover in the rear but I really need to keep my cash accounts full as possible at the moment.

Sitting on $3k of suspension is not a choice. I bet that bike rides like a dream though! I'm glad you get to hop on it too hahaha total bonus.
suspensionguy
Fantasy
2001st
9/18/2022 9:28pm
Why must you say sff so much, not a wp term but whatevs. The single coil conversions work pretty good. The wp dual spring conversion is better but over $1k. For under $1k you can have a decent set of single coil wp’s, it will take some set up and not likely be perfect first try. Just my opinion.
Bruce372
9/18/2022 9:32pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2022 9:32pm
Bruce372 wrote:
No, not yet. It feels good, less the harshness under acceleration bumps but I'm not really sure what to do about that. FWIW the kyb stuff...
No, not yet. It feels good, less the harshness under acceleration bumps but I'm not really sure what to do about that. FWIW the kyb stuff I rode was actually worse in these conditions.

I think I'm pretty happy with the shock performance to be honest. You know the saying, "the best you know is the best you've ridden" so maybe it sucks lol.
Turn the shock high speed in eighth ot quarter Turn at a time and see if the forks start working better.

It holds the bike up and stops the forks choppering
Hammer 663s
9/18/2022 9:32pm
There’s already a shit ton of posts on this. You’ll get the same opinions here too. Mx tech is mine w/JBI doing the work.
R VanKamp77
9/18/2022 9:38pm
Why must you say sff so much, not a wp term but whatevs. The single coil conversions work pretty good. The wp dual spring conversion is...
Why must you say sff so much, not a wp term but whatevs. The single coil conversions work pretty good. The wp dual spring conversion is better but over $1k. For under $1k you can have a decent set of single coil wp’s, it will take some set up and not likely be perfect first try. Just my opinion.
Well I said it twice in the OP so idk what to even tell you BUT... it is a "Separate Function Fork" and that is definitely worth being distinct about.

So, if you can get it set up well but it takes setup, what do you mean by that? I do not possess the know-how to valve my own forks so if you mean multiple tries at valving, I might want to avoid that. If you mean some diligence with clickers, I am game. My primary concern is developing a level of plushness where braking bumps no longer beat my hands off the bars, requiring a total death grip 24/7.
R VanKamp77
9/18/2022 9:41pm
Bruce372 wrote:
No, not yet. It feels good, less the harshness under acceleration bumps but I'm not really sure what to do about that. FWIW the kyb stuff...

Bruce372 wrote:
Turn the shock high speed in eighth ot quarter Turn at a time and see if the forks start working better. It holds the bike up...
Turn the shock high speed in eighth ot quarter Turn at a time and see if the forks start working better.

It holds the bike up and stops the forks choppering
I'll try to keep moving it in. I have addressed this some but not in length. I do feel like the bike has good holdup and does not squat or anything like that. I'm also running a pretty stout rear spring rate. I definitely want to get a better shock, I'm eyeballing one with gold valves, setup for me ironically, with a bladder kit installed as well. It looks pretty good. I think this will be a nice improvement.
R VanKamp77
9/18/2022 9:44pm
There’s already a shit ton of posts on this. You’ll get the same opinions here too. Mx tech is mine w/JBI doing the work.
In some of the other threads on this, I struggle to see why the SFF kits are bad though. Specifically MotoFinne hates them, and never says why. JBI has told me they're "not preferred" but I can't find out why. I just want to make the most informed choice, and if I'm going to spend 1100 dollars versus 600, I wanna know why and I want to be sure I made a good choice.

Cant imagine spending all this money to still be unsatisfied ):
NSP139
9/18/2022 9:48pm
NSP139 wrote:
Talk to Factory Connection we did a KYB swap on my kids bike with their bladder on the rear shock completely different bike! It's set up...
Well.... what was your total investment lol. I would love to go KYB up front and a full workover in the rear but I really need...
Well.... what was your total investment lol. I would love to go KYB up front and a full workover in the rear but I really need to keep my cash accounts full as possible at the moment.

Sitting on $3k of suspension is not a choice. I bet that bike rides like a dream though! I'm glad you get to hop on it too hahaha total bonus.
Yeah you're close it's probably around 3 Grand but they virtually hit the setup on the first try we're on our second revision of valving and it's just so amazing he loves to ride it compared to fighting it! Still way cheaper than cone valves and track shock which take a lot to set up!
R VanKamp77
9/18/2022 9:51pm
NSP139 wrote:
Well.... what was your total investment lol. I would love to go KYB up front and a full workover in the rear but I really need...

NSP139 wrote:
Yeah you're close it's probably around 3 Grand but they virtually hit the setup on the first try we're on our second revision of valving and...
Yeah you're close it's probably around 3 Grand but they virtually hit the setup on the first try we're on our second revision of valving and it's just so amazing he loves to ride it compared to fighting it! Still way cheaper than cone valves and track shock which take a lot to set up!
Yeah, there is the hidden cost of revision and stuff. I only ride on the weekends too so I can't imagine how long it would take to get it perfect.

I'm not picky, and I can fix things with the clickers fairly decent. I just need a good base to start with. I feel like, at this time, I don't have that. I have spent alot of time trying to get there too and it seems like time to jump ship. Thanks for the input! Smile
Motofinne
9/18/2022 9:59pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2022 10:00pm
The issue here is that you have tested a KYB spring setup which is one of the best conversions and you're looking at a SSF solution which is one of the worst conversions to be made. I tried the SSF conversion from K-Tech on my 2016 Factory Edition back in the day so maybe they work better with the latest AER versions but i certainly did not enjoy the SSF feeling (i had the KYB Technical Touch conversion on my bike last year).

Why did i not like the SSF fork? It screwed up the turning. It felt strange in the corners and the extra weight on the spring side made cornering to the left feel different to cornering to the right.

In your case I would rather save a couple of hundred bucks and go for the Öhlins TTX cartridge kit. I think the retail is 1200-1300 bucks so it should be one of the cheapest full cartridge kits available.

R VanKamp77
9/18/2022 10:22pm
Motofinne wrote:
The issue here is that you have tested a KYB spring setup which is one of the best conversions and you're looking at a SSF solution...
The issue here is that you have tested a KYB spring setup which is one of the best conversions and you're looking at a SSF solution which is one of the worst conversions to be made. I tried the SSF conversion from K-Tech on my 2016 Factory Edition back in the day so maybe they work better with the latest AER versions but i certainly did not enjoy the SSF feeling (i had the KYB Technical Touch conversion on my bike last year).

Why did i not like the SSF fork? It screwed up the turning. It felt strange in the corners and the extra weight on the spring side made cornering to the left feel different to cornering to the right.

In your case I would rather save a couple of hundred bucks and go for the Öhlins TTX cartridge kit. I think the retail is 1200-1300 bucks so it should be one of the cheapest full cartridge kits available.

Stoked you dropped in because I could tell from your posts you've ridden it all.

First, a clarification: I rode a YZ450f in bone stock form. What an awesome bike! I have no idea how a KYB swap feels on an austrian bike.

Okay, so I have ridden SFF setups for a while in the past, based on the (un-?) luck of the draw - I had it when Kawi did it and then when suzuki did it. I can't know for sure, but I will stake it here that I probably wont notice the difference in cornering feel. I didn't then, and i don't see it now. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can't see that being enough to push me away.

-What did you think of it on bump absorption and chop compliance?
-What about flat corner traction?

The bike is already a single function setup so adding a pound is not going to kill me. Heck, I would happily clamp some weight to the other fork over the cost savings hahaha.
The only thing I do not know right now is whether or not the existing valving is going to work optimally. I would not want to do this without that being set in place. So if I need a revalve for another $200 or so, now the kit is getting expensive and I'm not far off of a cartridge kit. If the valving is good and the SFF conversion is good, then I'm sold. I love the bike like I said, I am just getting killed from the handlebars like jackhammers. Thanks a ton for stopping in to talk man.
chasetwo79
9/18/2022 10:24pm
The rear shock is fine. Spring it right and revalve it for your weight and speed. The shock itself is an amazing stock shock. Plenty of privateers made top 25 outdoors on a stock WP shock with minimal mods.

Put all your money into the forks. No matter if you choose springs or air, put the money there. Save the money from the shock and thank me later
R VanKamp77
9/18/2022 10:37pm
chasetwo79 wrote:
The rear shock is fine. Spring it right and revalve it for your weight and speed. The shock itself is an amazing stock shock. Plenty of...
The rear shock is fine. Spring it right and revalve it for your weight and speed. The shock itself is an amazing stock shock. Plenty of privateers made top 25 outdoors on a stock WP shock with minimal mods.

Put all your money into the forks. No matter if you choose springs or air, put the money there. Save the money from the shock and thank me later
If you saw my post about the other shock, that's kind of my line of thinking. It's already got the valving and the bladder kit which is what I would need as a DIY guy most likely so.. in an ideal world i buy it and sell my stocker for a humble $300 and I'm not hurting too bad at all with plenty leftover for the forks. I feel like we're thinking similarly. That gives me some encouragement lol. I like the shock from everything I can tell.
chasetwo79
9/18/2022 10:55pm
chasetwo79 wrote:
The rear shock is fine. Spring it right and revalve it for your weight and speed. The shock itself is an amazing stock shock. Plenty of...

If you saw my post about the other shock, that's kind of my line of thinking. It's already got the valving and the bladder kit which...
If you saw my post about the other shock, that's kind of my line of thinking. It's already got the valving and the bladder kit which is what I would need as a DIY guy most likely so.. in an ideal world i buy it and sell my stocker for a humble $300 and I'm not hurting too bad at all with plenty leftover for the forks. I feel like we're thinking similarly. That gives me some encouragement lol. I like the shock from everything I can tell.
I am a 6 foot tall, 215 pound Vet A rider on a track. I beat any shock I use up and literally all I have done to my 22 is the right spring and set the sag. There’s just no noticeable difference to me worth spending the money on the shock. The forks? Now that’s an entirely different story…
R VanKamp77
9/18/2022 11:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2022 11:10pm
chasetwo79 wrote:

If you saw my post about the other shock, that's kind of my line of thinking. It's already got the valving and the bladder kit which...
chasetwo79 wrote:
I am a 6 foot tall, 215 pound Vet A rider on a track. I beat any shock I use up and literally all I have...
I am a 6 foot tall, 215 pound Vet A rider on a track. I beat any shock I use up and literally all I have done to my 22 is the right spring and set the sag. There’s just no noticeable difference to me worth spending the money on the shock. The forks? Now that’s an entirely different story…
You didn't even revalve your shock?

What did you do to your forks? If you're big and fast (as I am) I feel like the comfort window gets smaller.
I'm really digging the coppersmith aero and the K-Tech kit now. As I said above, I kind of lean towards the coppersmith unless I get the 'all clear' to leave the valving alone. It does seem that new spring = new valving though \:
chasetwo79
9/18/2022 11:16pm
chasetwo79 wrote:
I am a 6 foot tall, 215 pound Vet A rider on a track. I beat any shock I use up and literally all I have...
You didn't even revalve your shock? What did you do to your forks? If you're big and fast (as I am) I feel like the comfort...

What did you do to your forks? If you're big and fast (as I am) I feel like the comfort window gets smaller.
I'm really digging the coppersmith aero and the K-Tech kit now. As I said above, I kind of lean towards the coppersmith unless I get the 'all clear' to leave the valving alone. It does seem that new spring = new valving though \:
I can make the air forks work good enough for practice. I just don’t feel great when I have to push it really hard. I can’t OJ anything without it being super harsh and I feel like I have no support coming in extra hot into corners of pretty much any kind berms, ruts, or flat.

Since I only ride my 450 on a track, I don’t have to worry about having a different enduro set up so I just go spring conversion.

I’ve had the ohlins drop ins on a previous bike and it was really nice.

I did the race tech kit and it worked solid enough with some gold valves. Not really a massive difference from the Ohlins, maybe slightly less plush.

I’ve ridden some cone valves set up for close to my weight and tbh, if you’re not a pro racing supercross, it’s overkill. Totally cool if you have the discretionary income but I think most riders don’t need 5k forks.

On my 22, I haven’t converted it yet. Getting ready to and I think I am going try the TT KYB stuff. I’ve heard it’s a great package and easy to install DIY. Doing it in next couple of weeks, I’ll report back. Maybe I’ll make a video or something.
thorns
9/19/2022 12:08am
thorns wrote:
If you haven't had a listen yet, check out Keefers podcast on it. From memory, I think the coppersmith option was around your price range and...
THIS is exactly why i made this thread. Thank you! I had thought the coppersmith kit was like 2500 dollars or something. Do you have a...
THIS is exactly why i made this thread. Thank you!

I had thought the coppersmith kit was like 2500 dollars or something. Do you have a link to the specific episode you're referring to? I am very very interested. That coppersmith kit looks like a winner, but I am kind of still wondering if the standard SFF kit could provide similar feel. Either way, I'm intrigued. I'll call them tomorrow to get some details regardless.

Edit: is this the same kit that was once $950, now advertised on their site for 1495.......? What the heck happened?

Edit again... looks like its 1075 which seems more reasonable. I might just be dense.
Glad Im not the only one who got confused by the pricing options, seems to vary between 950 to 2000.

For me, I think I would try the complete ohlins cartridge setup simply because by the time I added shipping and taxes to get the coppersmith or other fork option here, the ohlins would be on par cost wise along with good local support. Plus I have always wanted to try ohlins stuff.
ElliotB16
9/19/2022 3:31am
Had the same problem, hated the GG 450 then did a spring conversion. Worth every penny
swordfish
9/19/2022 4:06am
Don’t waste your time with the air/spring partial kits. Go full spring carts. Lots of lightly used ones come up all the time. WP6500, MXT Luckies, Del Soggio etc. my brand new Luckies were $1000 set up from Corey at Protune. Install is easy.
Mx206
9/19/2022 4:14am
I recently made the switch to the Race Tech spring conversion. The Aer 48s were beating the piss out of me. Landing flat was a nightmare and coming into braking bumps at speed was scary. No matter what I changed (revalved forks and shock+Bladder conversion) nothing at better. Pulled the trigger for the conversion kit and it's a night and day difference. Super plush, really responsive and doesn't beat the life out of you. Harshness is completely gone.
R VanKamp77
9/19/2022 6:21am
chasetwo79 wrote:
You didn't even revalve your shock? What did you do to your forks? If you're big and fast (as I am) I feel like the comfort...

chasetwo79 wrote:
I can make the air forks work good enough for practice. I just don’t feel great when I have to push it really hard. I can’t...
I can make the air forks work good enough for practice. I just don’t feel great when I have to push it really hard. I can’t OJ anything without it being super harsh and I feel like I have no support coming in extra hot into corners of pretty much any kind berms, ruts, or flat.

Since I only ride my 450 on a track, I don’t have to worry about having a different enduro set up so I just go spring conversion.

I did the race tech kit and it worked solid enough with some gold valves. Not really a massive difference from the Ohlins, maybe slightly less plush.

I’ve ridden some cone valves set up for close to my weight and tbh, if you’re not a pro racing supercross, it’s overkill. Totally cool if you have the discretionary income but I think most riders don’t need 5k forks.

On my 22, I haven’t converted it yet. Getting ready to and I think I am going try the TT KYB stuff. I’ve heard it’s a great package and easy to install DIY. Doing it in next couple of weeks, I’ll report back. Maybe I’ll make a video or something.

Are these the the TTX cartridge kits you're referring to? They have awesome reviews.

When you say race tech kit, are you referring to the single side spring conversion with gold valves in the damping side?

---

I can totally relate to the harsh thing about overjumping too. If I don't ride smooth as blue bell ice cream, I am just getting blown out the entire time lol.
R VanKamp77
9/19/2022 6:24am
ElliotB16 wrote:
Had the same problem, hated the GG 450 then did a spring conversion. Worth every penny
Awesome to hear. My bike is actually posted for sale I'm so frustrated lol.

Which kit did you go with? Riding my bike back to back with a YZ450f showed me how much potential it had as well as how bad I was suffering.
R VanKamp77
9/19/2022 6:26am Edited Date/Time 9/19/2022 6:35am
swordfish wrote:
Don’t waste your time with the air/spring partial kits. Go full spring carts. Lots of lightly used ones come up all the time. WP6500, MXT Luckies...
Don’t waste your time with the air/spring partial kits. Go full spring carts. Lots of lightly used ones come up all the time. WP6500, MXT Luckies, Del Soggio etc. my brand new Luckies were $1000 set up from Corey at Protune. Install is easy.
Same thing I asked finne, why don't you like the single side kits? Again, I'm not saying you're wrong but I've yet to hear anyone give a technical explanation as to why and how they're bad. Not one answer in one thread.

At this point I am leaning towards a dual cartridge kit but I do not want to rule this option out either.

Addition: The luckies drop right in in the garage right? When you order them, the suspension supplier of choice (I would do protune or JBI) valves it for you? If I'm wrong please tell me a little more about the process. I would probably do the luckies today for 1000 since I've heard such great things.

Post a reply to: The final word on SFF spring conversions? Please advise (KTM/GG/HUS)

The Latest