The fall of Alta

chad_111
In case you haven't discovered this channel yet, they make great quality content. Here is their take on what happened between Alta and Harley.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ApPIEnAjns
|
KONG
2/20/2022 2:35am
Watching the guy makes my eyes bleed.
Leave Us To
2/20/2022 5:36am
Alta made two big mistakes and the first one led to the second. First mistake was trying to do too much too soon. They burned throught their cash too quickly which led to the second mistake which was talking to Harley Davidson. Love the brand and it's history but their business practices suck. From dealing with their vendors to dealing with a potential acquistion like Alta, they're not a good company to work with.

When I heard they were talking to Harley I had a feeling it was over for them. Why buy the company when you can just let it fold then get all of the ex employees to work for you.

The Shop

Gravel
2/20/2022 5:48am
When a performance company gets in bed with an image and lifestyle company ugly things happen.. What Alta did with their first product, engineering and performance wise, far exceeded anything Harley has done in the last 75 years. But Harley knows how to make money and one way to make money is to kill competition. Kinda like they did in flat track with the help of the AMA .

Great video, I wonder if the Harley lawyers have called Fortnine yet
philG
2/20/2022 6:52am
Doing it where they did it didnt help either.. i looked briefly at going to work there, and the costs of living anywhere near the place were huge.

Would have worked if they had done it somewhere else IMO.
DC
2/20/2022 7:23am
That is a really well-done video feature, thanks for sharing.

DC
Racer X
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
2/20/2022 8:25am
That was well done. I want to check out more of their videos. Its a shame that Alta is not around. I have one of the very last Alta mxr 2019 models. I bought it from a friend who doesnt ride buy his kids and grandkids do and he got it to follow the kids around on their minis in the yard in a gated community. He only wore sandals on it and never even changed modes. It looks like it has never been ridden at all. Not a single scratch or blemish anywhere. Showroom new. My arm is almost healed and i am feeling ok enough to finally move some dirt and start riding it.
nickm
2/20/2022 8:36am Edited Date/Time 2/20/2022 8:40am
Great video. Agree that BRP won't be making a Can-Am dirt bike with Alta tech; however Alta tech continues to a big part of the BRP product plan, they've already announced electric SeaDoos, Can-Am ATV/SXS to be available in the next 2 years, and an electric SkiDoo can't be far behind.

Great tech too bad the BRP deal hadn't shown up before the Harley deal. BRP already has a solid dealer network and it would have been a quick and easy way to revive the Can-Am dirt bike brand. BRP money, R&D and production facilities and engineering sure would have put Alta entirely out of financial risk as well.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
2/20/2022 8:43am
nickm wrote:
Great video. Agree that BRP won't be making a Can-Am dirt bike with Alta tech; however Alta tech continues to a big part of the BRP...
Great video. Agree that BRP won't be making a Can-Am dirt bike with Alta tech; however Alta tech continues to a big part of the BRP product plan, they've already announced electric SeaDoos, Can-Am ATV/SXS to be available in the next 2 years, and an electric SkiDoo can't be far behind.

Great tech too bad the BRP deal hadn't shown up before the Harley deal. BRP already has a solid dealer network and it would have been a quick and easy way to revive the Can-Am dirt bike brand. BRP money, R&D and production facilities and engineering sure would have put Alta entirely out of financial risk as well.
Electric snowmobile is in development.
ArmPumped
2/20/2022 10:51am
If you guys aren’t familiar leaf through their other videos. They’re all fantastic. They had a similar video on Harley itself. Extremely interesting and so well done.
RalphS
2/20/2022 11:28am
Harley has become an anecdote of the past.
TeamGreen
2/20/2022 11:52am
I recently thought damn seriously about buying a Harley FLH Revival form their new amazing Icon Series of bikes...it's a GORGEOUS scoot for cruising Daytona, Sturgis, Old Guy Touring...you know...that stuff. I was even "getting a deal" on the thing...limited production and all that...

I got to thinking about giving my money to Harley. The guys that, it seems, make more stuff over-seas than they do here. The guys that claim "Murica" all the time. I even recalled the HORRIFIC stories I'd heard from Alta and Buell peeps.

So, "Nah! Fuq Harley and their BS and their Lawyers" is the decision I came to. Yeah, I know, sounds stupid, right? Well, it mattered to me; because, I KNOW Harley's history.

Still, you CAN just say that Harley was just being "smart" as they crushed the little guys...like Alta, right? Oh...that's "allegedly", btw!
Grinning
You know, there's Real History when it comes to Harley & the ways they deal with the competition...and OTHER legal games they've played...and all that...
Blink
We're talking about the SAME Harley that whined, bitched and moaned to our Federal Government when Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki were making Great Motorcycles that made HD's look like the ABSOLUTE Pieces of Shit that they were...at the time...in the 80s...or did we forget?
The SAME Harley that whined to the AMA when Honda showed up...with a V-Twin...and kicked Harley's ASS ALL OVER THE OVALs of America.
The SAME Harley that recently cried like a bitch when Indian ran them OFF of the Ovals of America...just like Honda did in the 80s...but, much more RECENTLY!

So...them...that Harley? Nah. Fuq them.

And...yes...our Bro's at Alta should have pulled their heads out and gotten themselves some legit counsel; so, it's on them...too.

Ultimately, we're getting some solid-tricked-out "electrics"; but, as usual...Harley fuq'd up the end game simply by being Harley...as usual.

Here's something that's a ridiculous ending point to my rant: Harley's new Pan America is simply THE BEST ADV in the "Land Yacht" category. Period. And I'll be damned...just like the FLH Revival...I want one...and...

That PISSES ME OFF! Grinning

Btw, this ALL is just my opinion and I may be wrong.

I'm jus' sayin'...
BIGRIGGIN
2/20/2022 11:55am
Cool video. Someone please hook that dude up with a visor ... the Q ball helmet look helps no argument.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
2/20/2022 12:01pm
BIGRIGGIN wrote:
Cool video. Someone please hook that dude up with a visor ... the Q ball helmet look helps no argument.
Grinning The funny thing about that is that Fort Nine is an online store like Motosport, RMATVMC, etc. up here in Canada.

https://fortnine.ca/en/
number six
2/21/2022 6:50am
An entertaining channel, very 'Top Gear' ish.

2/21/2022 8:21am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Electric snowmobile is in development.
Interesting, lithium batteries don’t work much below freezing so I guess you gotta run battery heaters when you arnt giving it the beans.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
2/21/2022 8:32am
Fortnine produces really high quality content that punches way above its weight in regards to production value. The writing, research and video production all rival much bigger media companies and it’s just Ryan (the tall dorky guy) and a couple of camera guys and editors. That channel is everything right about YouTube.
TeamGreen
2/21/2022 8:43am
Fortnine produces really high quality content that punches way above its weight in regards to production value. The writing, research and video production all rival much...
Fortnine produces really high quality content that punches way above its weight in regards to production value. The writing, research and video production all rival much bigger media companies and it’s just Ryan (the tall dorky guy) and a couple of camera guys and editors. That channel is everything right about YouTube.
Anyone notice the Pink Floyd theme to the Wankel episode...? Grinning

The guy is Benny Hill, Monty Python, SNL & actual science combined with a love for all things motorcycle. Wink

My favorite YouTube content...PERIOD.
Hammer 663s
2/21/2022 9:49am Edited Date/Time 2/21/2022 9:49am
BIGRIGGIN wrote:
Set of goggles too before he takes a stick in the eye.
Broseph
2/21/2022 10:56am Edited Date/Time 2/21/2022 11:00am
TeamGreen wrote:
I recently thought damn seriously about buying a Harley FLH Revival form their new amazing Icon Series of bikes...it's a GORGEOUS scoot for cruising Daytona, Sturgis...
I recently thought damn seriously about buying a Harley FLH Revival form their new amazing Icon Series of bikes...it's a GORGEOUS scoot for cruising Daytona, Sturgis, Old Guy Touring...you know...that stuff. I was even "getting a deal" on the thing...limited production and all that...

I got to thinking about giving my money to Harley. The guys that, it seems, make more stuff over-seas than they do here. The guys that claim "Murica" all the time. I even recalled the HORRIFIC stories I'd heard from Alta and Buell peeps.

So, "Nah! Fuq Harley and their BS and their Lawyers" is the decision I came to. Yeah, I know, sounds stupid, right? Well, it mattered to me; because, I KNOW Harley's history.

Still, you CAN just say that Harley was just being "smart" as they crushed the little guys...like Alta, right? Oh...that's "allegedly", btw!
Grinning
You know, there's Real History when it comes to Harley & the ways they deal with the competition...and OTHER legal games they've played...and all that...
Blink
We're talking about the SAME Harley that whined, bitched and moaned to our Federal Government when Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki were making Great Motorcycles that made HD's look like the ABSOLUTE Pieces of Shit that they were...at the time...in the 80s...or did we forget?
The SAME Harley that whined to the AMA when Honda showed up...with a V-Twin...and kicked Harley's ASS ALL OVER THE OVALs of America.
The SAME Harley that recently cried like a bitch when Indian ran them OFF of the Ovals of America...just like Honda did in the 80s...but, much more RECENTLY!

So...them...that Harley? Nah. Fuq them.

And...yes...our Bro's at Alta should have pulled their heads out and gotten themselves some legit counsel; so, it's on them...too.

Ultimately, we're getting some solid-tricked-out "electrics"; but, as usual...Harley fuq'd up the end game simply by being Harley...as usual.

Here's something that's a ridiculous ending point to my rant: Harley's new Pan America is simply THE BEST ADV in the "Land Yacht" category. Period. And I'll be damned...just like the FLH Revival...I want one...and...

That PISSES ME OFF! Grinning

Btw, this ALL is just my opinion and I may be wrong.

I'm jus' sayin'...
Here’s Fortnine’s video on the subject. Why the government keeps bailing out these clowns is beyond me.

WhipMeister
Fantasy
4434th
2/21/2022 1:19pm
Excellent, apparently well-researched and, provided claims are true, tells the tale of many entrepreneurial 'unicorns' who either don't seek or don't follow expert M&A counsel before signing a deal. Sad. There's definitely a place for their technology. Unfortunately seems doomed to the same scrap heap as the full-floater.
McG194
2/21/2022 3:48pm
Blah blah blah Harley sucks and they are big meanies.

Nevermind that Alta was selling a racebike that had no class to race in.

I'm sure the KTM group, Honda Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki were really looking forward to going toe to toe with Alta.

The company was building a great bike and had lots of promise, but they were hemorrhaging money. Not the ideal situation when you are trying to take on an entire industry that doesn't want you around.

Nowhere in the story did they mention that (If I recall correctly) none of the upper management team had ever run a business.

From what I have been told H-D did their due diligence prior to investing but when they got inside and saw how bad things were, they said; Screw this, it would be cheaper to start from scratch. The Alta technology wasn't particularly revolutionary as evidenced by how much better the Stark is a few short years later. So, all Harley was buying is some good but not great technology, some high fixed cost {San Fran rent) and a brand that was the at the time leading the way.

Never believe a story that puts all the blame on one party like this guy does. The people mainly responsible for Alta's downfall are Alta. Harley could have been more of a white knight and thrown more money at them, but the business case said it was a bad move and H-D shareholders didn't agree to rescuing poorly run companies. Don't forget to cut a little piece of blame pie for the racing organizations that refused to find a home for the Alta.
2/21/2022 5:16pm
McG194 wrote:
Blah blah blah Harley sucks and they are big meanies. Nevermind that Alta was selling a racebike that had no class to race in. I'm sure...

I'm sure the KTM group, Honda Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki were really looking forward to going toe to toe with Alta.

The company was building a great bike and had lots of promise, but they were hemorrhaging money. Not the ideal situation when you are trying to take on an entire industry that doesn't want you around.

Nowhere in the story did they mention that (If I recall correctly) none of the upper management team had ever run a business.

From what I have been told H-D did their due diligence prior to investing but when they got inside and saw how bad things were, they said; Screw this, it would be cheaper to start from scratch. The Alta technology wasn't particularly revolutionary as evidenced by how much better the Stark is a few short years later. So, all Harley was buying is some good but not great technology, some high fixed cost {San Fran rent) and a brand that was the at the time leading the way.

Never believe a story that puts all the blame on one party like this guy does. The people mainly responsible for Alta's downfall are Alta. Harley could have been more of a white knight and thrown more money at them, but the business case said it was a bad move and H-D shareholders didn't agree to rescuing poorly run companies. Don't forget to cut a little piece of blame pie for the racing organizations that refused to find a home for the Alta.
At 9:27 in the vid he says that Alta themselves were part to blame for letting a bunch of engineers run the company
2/22/2022 5:57am
Interesting, lithium batteries don’t work much below freezing so I guess you gotta run battery heaters when you arnt giving it the beans.
I have a custom lithium-titanate setup in my first gen Honda Insight. Can confirm it performs very well at sub freezing temps.
2/22/2022 5:59am
McG194 wrote:
Blah blah blah Harley sucks and they are big meanies. Nevermind that Alta was selling a racebike that had no class to race in. I'm sure...

KTM/Hus/GG and Yamaha continue to sell racebikes that have no pro classes to race. People continue buying and racing them anyway. Altas is allowed in any local "open" class if not others.
tingo
2/22/2022 6:21am
Really nice video, especially for YouTube. Now the Reeds have something to aspire to: f@$!ing Fortniners.
McG194
2/22/2022 7:36am
McG194 wrote:

KTM/Hus/GG and Yamaha continue to sell racebikes that have no pro classes to race. People continue buying and racing them anyway. Altas is allowed in any...
KTM/Hus/GG and Yamaha continue to sell racebikes that have no pro classes to race. People continue buying and racing them anyway. Altas is allowed in any local "open" class if not others.
I didn't say anything about pro classes. Pro classes are to promote the sport not to keep it going. I could not buy an Alta and race my local AMA District classes. Sure if you have a local series that isn't AMA sanctioned you can run it but it's getting tougher and tougher to find local series that aren't AMA sanctioned due to the availability of insurance through AMA.

Post a reply to: The fall of Alta

The Latest