The dumbest idea you ever came up with during a race.

vschaik141
4/20/2018 10:47am
so I do not remember anything from this event, but I probably thought it would be safe to pick up my bike and kickstart it behind the big tabletop jump at Valkenswaard.
Csb146
4/20/2018 11:17am
I don't know if it was an idea or a lack of an idea, but back in my karting days I literally forgot where the first turn was on a rolling start and used the guy next to me as a brake/berm to make the corner.

It was my first year of racing anything, and I was learning a lot. We raced on a paved oval and used the banking and infield to make different track configurations. On karts you consistently adjust the air screw during the race to tune the engine, and I was still learning the art of it. I was on the 2nd row on the formation lap and was playing around with the air screw trying to dial it in, and right after the green flag dropped I went to adjust it again. I was so concerned with the air screw I forgot that instead of using the banked oval as turn 1-2 the first turn was right after the start/finish line and made a hard left into the infield. Next thing I know the guys in front of me are hard on the brakes and I'm not. I locked up bounced hard off the guy to my outside, sending him off into the dirt, and I only barely drop my wheels into the dirt. Next thing I know I was being blacked flagged and booted from the race, and rightfully so. After the race finished my Dad made me go apologize to the kid I ran off the track, and he was totally cool about. We actually became pretty decent friends afterwards.
BobbyM
4/20/2018 11:32am
Racing argyle park one Sunday long time ago. Was raining so hard the night before that my Dad said the "Parts in the Pits'' dude was selling pairs of spark plugs out of an Arc. It was colder than usual too. I was freezing my ass off so on the way down to the starting line so I put on my old corduroy jacket to keep warm. The rain had stopped by my race but it was still really cold. My Dad tells me "when you get to line give yer jacket to Billy before the rubber band snaps". When we got there I told Billy I was so cold I'll race with the coat on. Billy sez remember what yer dad said but I said it was too cold and what does he know anyways? By the time the first lap was completed my corduroy coat must have weighed 50 pounds from all the mud sticking to it. I literally fell over in a turn and I couldn't even get up and back on the bike it was so fucking heavy. I looked like that guy on Laugh In riding the tricycle. My old man was so pissed that he threw that coat in the nearest garbage can and said "I knew that was gonna happen, that's why I said to give it to Billy before the moto!"
I still chuckle when I think I back to that day.
omalley
4/20/2018 12:39pm
I was a 250 beginner. I was at an open practice the day before a race. This track had a section that added on to the main track which is hey only used for a couple big races during the year. This year they put in a triple. It had one of those faces that put you up more than forward and took a huge difference in speed to go a few feet farther.
I get passed by one of our local pros coming out of the turn before. For reasons unknown to me, I decided it would be a great idea to follow him over it. Since he was on a 125 and I was on a 250, I actually stayed close. The key word here is “close”..
Cased the ever-loving shit out of it, and as an added bonus, nutted myself on the 90s-era CR gas cap...
Good times...

The Shop

4/20/2018 12:43pm
Back in 1996 or so, Travis Spader blew by me during practice. I decided to try and keep up with him, so when he launched the first jump after passing me I did the same. I was so excited to be going fast that I forgot about the left hander immediately following the landing. I grabbed a handful of front brake but must have done it before I hit the dirt. Being a fairly large single, landing with the front brake on was not forgiving. My wrist broke instantly when I landed, but I'll always have the time I raced Spader during practice on my quad SillyCool
jdj727
4/20/2018 8:38pm
I raced a GNCC at Loretta Lynn’s back in 98 on my supercross bike.. first lap on the Moto Track was a real Big right hand sweeper.. I cruised the first lap getting the layout.. 2 lap I came in and said I could just pin it all the way thru the sweeper.. I looked up and seen people get out of there chairs running.. well I wasn’t gonna make the turn.. I looked back at a couple lawn chairs flying over the crowd and motor homes..At first I was like damn I just about killed myself then I was like dude that chair flew.. good Times I believe Rodney Smith won the race I was top 10 till the last lap and cruised it to get passed by 3 guys.. boy 3 plus hours straight was tough..
Ted722
4/20/2018 9:18pm
A couple random thoughts.

- Back in '98 Mammoth OTHG, placed 3rd in my first moto. Was leading the 2nd and lala land ensued coming back from the back part of the track. It was the first lap and no doubt I hit a slick (freshly watered) part on the first lap. Instant dreamland. Head was still throbbing the next day when I lined up for the 3rd moto. Not a smart move to line up, but we know a lot more today.

- Loading more than 1 tear off. Doesn't matter if it's 1, 5 or 8...I'm very good at pulling them all of in one pull! Blush
Ted722
4/20/2018 9:23pm
Looking over at the rider next to me that was either smoking a cigarette or had a bald rear tire and saying "I've got this guy covered." Got waxed by both of them. Stopped making starting gate assumptions after that!
rongi#401
4/21/2018 2:41am
Ah in quarter midgets. We're up at baylands for the Monza series, during times qualifying the finish is normally on the front straight, exit coming into turn 3. At this race the finish line was on the back straight. Had a brain fart and hit the finish and immediately buzzed off the track at full speed. Skidding throo the pit lane and almost ruining a few dad's shins. Didn't hit anyone. But felt pretty dumb. I think I was 11 or 12
Xracer
4/21/2018 6:31am
That time I was lapped by Jeff Stanton on 80's and decided it would be "fun" to try and stay with him. Broken collarbone and concussion resulted no more than 10 seconds later. I've known my limits ever since.

Post a reply to: The dumbest idea you ever came up with during a race.

The Latest