The difference between Husky / KTM....and Honda. ( allowed machines )

jeffro503
6/2/2017 9:49pm
jeffro503 wrote:
From interviews I have read over the past year or so , it seems that Husky and Ktm ( maybe even Yamaha? ) would be ok...
From interviews I have read over the past year or so , it seems that Husky and Ktm ( maybe even Yamaha? ) would be ok with letting 250 2 strokes run at the pro level in the 250 class. The interview from one of the head guys at Honda said...he was totally against it.

Obviously the OEM's make more money with selling 4 strokes , as they cost a little more and repairs cost quite a bit more. I can see why Honda would be against it since they would lose revenue. But as far as them saying " It's not fair to put up a 2 stroke 250 against 250F's ".....??? I don't think that's the case any more.

If that's the case now , then why would KTM , Husky and Yamaha be ok with it? They would lose out on some 4 stroke sales and the revenue that goes along with it too.

I think Honda is saying it isn't fair , based on that they don't make a 2 stroke 250 any more. NOT that they think racing them together is unfair.

And " IF " they did produce one....what do you think their thoughts on the matter would be? My belief is , they would say " Pick a bike , and lets go racing ".

Isn't that kind of like the old saying...." I'll just take my ball and go home! "

Side note : I haven't seen anything negative or positive from Suzuki or Kawasaki on this subject. Honda was the only one I have heard so fair that was totally against it.
kiwifan wrote:
I am pretty sure the Honda guy you referred to was talking about making 2 strokes not the rules around them, that interview was what 3-4...
I am pretty sure the Honda guy you referred to was talking about making 2 strokes not the rules around them, that interview was what 3-4 years ago?...for all we know his view has changed IF he is even in charge anymore?

OEM's change their minds all the damn time about what they produce or not...let alone their view on rules.
Kiwi....I think that interview just happened a few weeks ago.
jeffro503
6/2/2017 9:50pm
wardy wrote:
I have a shop full of honda smokers. but what is funny as hell it was and still is ok for HONDA to bless us with...
I have a shop full of honda smokers.

but what is funny as hell it was and still is ok for HONDA to bless us with that pos 150 and try to force it in the amateur ranks. We said no it can stay in super mini/ schoolboy classes.

Of course the big boys capitulated to Honda's whims mainly I am assuming the dollars made them.

But wait now they make the 150 fuel injected and it rocks.

Wow no one seen that coming.

bottom line, screw honda and it's bullshit pressure. They have pulled this crap for a very long time, but i wonder how good old ktm and husky look in the dirt bike market now, compare to big red. Of course they will whine and complain about allowing 250 smokers heads up. Let em's. good for the goose is good for the gander
Hell yes Wardy!!
tempura
6/2/2017 10:05pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2017 11:32pm
jeffro503 wrote:
From interviews I have read over the past year or so , it seems that Husky and Ktm ( maybe even Yamaha? ) would be ok...
From interviews I have read over the past year or so , it seems that Husky and Ktm ( maybe even Yamaha? ) would be ok with letting 250 2 strokes run at the pro level in the 250 class. The interview from one of the head guys at Honda said...he was totally against it.

Obviously the OEM's make more money with selling 4 strokes , as they cost a little more and repairs cost quite a bit more. I can see why Honda would be against it since they would lose revenue. But as far as them saying " It's not fair to put up a 2 stroke 250 against 250F's ".....??? I don't think that's the case any more.

If that's the case now , then why would KTM , Husky and Yamaha be ok with it? They would lose out on some 4 stroke sales and the revenue that goes along with it too.

I think Honda is saying it isn't fair , based on that they don't make a 2 stroke 250 any more. NOT that they think racing them together is unfair.

And " IF " they did produce one....what do you think their thoughts on the matter would be? My belief is , they would say " Pick a bike , and lets go racing ".

Isn't that kind of like the old saying...." I'll just take my ball and go home! "

Side note : I haven't seen anything negative or positive from Suzuki or Kawasaki on this subject. Honda was the only one I have heard so fair that was totally against it.
It all boils down to money.

There really needs to be a shift among the consumers in this industry for anything to change. People need to stop blaming manufactures and start looking at themselves.

Of course the manufactures are going to produce the most profitable Machines for them, and if that means manipulating/changing pro racing rules, so be it...they obviously felt confident that the consumers would follow, and they did.. We can't just blame Honda (although they do hate the 2 stroke), all the manufactures are in this together.

If the consumer wants a change, voicing your opinion is all well and good, but honestly, the powers that be don't give a shit about your opinions. What they do care about is getting your money. This is the only angle the consumer has to make a change. Hurt their profits significantly enough and changes will come.

This is where the "start looking at themselves" comment at the top of this post comes in.
You, the consumer holds the power to make significant changes in this industry. Your money is what keeps this industry ticking over, from the pro series, bikes you ride, the gear you wear and even to this very forum we are posting on. You are funding it. They need you, collectively. Individually, they couldn't care less.

Wanna make changes, don't support the series (meaning don't give them your money) you are opposed of. Don't buy the bikes you are opposed of..don't fund it in any way. Changes will only come if those making the money stop making it.

So start looking at yourselves collectively as the ones to blame for how things are going. You also hold the keys to change, if there are enough people that want it.

kiwifan
6/2/2017 10:11pm
jeffro503 wrote:

kiwifan wrote:
I am pretty sure the Honda guy you referred to was talking about making 2 strokes not the rules around them, that interview was what 3-4...
I am pretty sure the Honda guy you referred to was talking about making 2 strokes not the rules around them, that interview was what 3-4 years ago?...for all we know his view has changed IF he is even in charge anymore?

OEM's change their minds all the damn time about what they produce or not...let alone their view on rules.
jeffro503 wrote:
Kiwi....I think that interview just happened a few weeks ago.
ok I didnt see it, can you please post the link to it?

The Shop

VRR7
6/3/2017 3:00am
Honda have a larger agenda and responsibility. The big picture is they have made global commitments which 2 stroke manufacture could violate. Maybe 2T injection would interest Honda ? KTM Husky even Yamaha do not produce vehicles on the scale Honda does (Including Cars Etc ) http://world.honda.com/sustainability/environment/ So KTM Husky's agreement is limited the new 250i is a direct result of these agreements which they have been able to circumvent until now. Honda made and signed the commitment long time ago as a group which include the cars. So I doubt if it has anything to do with 2T mx racing which is really small aspect of Honda's profitability. In Vehicle manufacture cars are much more profitable than bikes. Lucky the new CEO of Honda is pro bikes so he is keen for Honda to put back some focus on their original business. And you can see the result in the new models and some added efforts in racing - MXGP / Moto3 / Dakar etc for which they gave little interest in for many years. http://world.honda.com/sustainability/environment/
downard254
6/3/2017 4:07am
Here's a hypothetical to chew on. What if, there was a rules change and Honda decided to, as mentioned a few posts above, "take their ball and stick and go home". Without Hondas involvement in professional MX, would SX and MX die, or would the other manufacturers committment help it to flourish. I'm curious about the financial involvement of Honda. I'm sure they commit plent, and I'd really hate to see them leave the series, but would they, or is it a bluff. Thoughts on how that scenario would pan out.
mxb2
6/3/2017 6:28am
wardy wrote:
I have a shop full of honda smokers. but what is funny as hell it was and still is ok for HONDA to bless us with...

but what is funny as hell it was and still is ok for HONDA to bless us with that pos 150 and try to force it in the amateur ranks. We said no it can stay in super mini/ schoolboy classes.

Of course the big boys capitulated to Honda's whims mainly I am assuming the dollars made them.

bottom line, screw honda and it's bullshit pressure. They have pulled this crap for a very long time, but i wonder how good old ktm and husky look in the dirt bike market now, compare to big red. Of course they will whine and complain about allowing 250 smokers heads up. Let em's. good for the goose is good for the gander
If you are that pissed at Honda,why do you own them? Sell them and buy a different brand of 2 stroke. Support the other factory.
Johnny Depp
6/3/2017 7:30am
We all live in our own little bubble of SX/MX. The rest of the world doesn't give a crap about our rules. If our sport is looked at from a spectator standpoint, only SX and offroad have moved forward. Everything else has gone backwards.

Let's assume everyone on here is a gearhead and has at least some casual interest in Motorsport whether it is 2 wheeled or 4. I know without google I have zero chance of telling you the difference between classes in almost all motorcycle road racing, Nascar, F1, GT, Drag racing etc.
BobPA
6/3/2017 9:09am
We all live in our own little bubble of SX/MX. The rest of the world doesn't give a crap about our rules. If our sport is...
We all live in our own little bubble of SX/MX. The rest of the world doesn't give a crap about our rules. If our sport is looked at from a spectator standpoint, only SX and offroad have moved forward. Everything else has gone backwards.

Let's assume everyone on here is a gearhead and has at least some casual interest in Motorsport whether it is 2 wheeled or 4. I know without google I have zero chance of telling you the difference between classes in almost all motorcycle road racing, Nascar, F1, GT, Drag racing etc.
If you cannot tell the difference between the 4 pro classes of drag racing, you are not a gearhead....you are a chick
Johnny Depp
6/3/2017 9:24am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2017 9:25am
Watch sometime and see if you can tell a top fuel from a top alcohol. Comp, Super Comp, Stock, Super Stock, WTF is all this stuff, it makes my head explode.

That is where bracket racing came from, who cares what you run, just pair up stuff the same speed.
sickboy3636
6/3/2017 11:55am
wardy wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
If you are that pissed at Honda,why do you own them? Sell them and buy a different brand of 2 stroke. Support the other factory.
I agree with Wardy.......I too have a small stable of Honda smokers. A couple I've had for nearly 10 years. I'm 35 and been a Honda loyalist my entire life. I love the bikes and believe their quality fit and finish is above the other big 3......but thats been balanced with my loathing of their dabbling in left leaning politics......esp in regards to the smoker industry. For many years I saw the 2 stroke industry as dying out and nearly gone, with only the reminisce still trickling out. Its not till recently that I see a big push and an attempt to bring the glory days back. I wasn't gonna cut off my nose to spite my face and sell the bikes I love just to prove a point......but with the availability of better 2 strokes coming along, I am finally beginning to consider supporting the boys that are supporting the bikes I love. But in defense of wardy, I believe you can have a deep seeded anger towards a company and still be attached to the bikes you've grown to love. I'll never buy another new Honda and outside of "being seen" on a Honda smoker at the track, I do nothing else to support their business and will not give another cent of my money to their company.
kiwifan
6/3/2017 2:18pm
I agree with Wardy.......I too have a small stable of Honda smokers. A couple I've had for nearly 10 years. I'm 35 and been a Honda...
I agree with Wardy.......I too have a small stable of Honda smokers. A couple I've had for nearly 10 years. I'm 35 and been a Honda loyalist my entire life. I love the bikes and believe their quality fit and finish is above the other big 3......but thats been balanced with my loathing of their dabbling in left leaning politics......esp in regards to the smoker industry. For many years I saw the 2 stroke industry as dying out and nearly gone, with only the reminisce still trickling out. Its not till recently that I see a big push and an attempt to bring the glory days back. I wasn't gonna cut off my nose to spite my face and sell the bikes I love just to prove a point......but with the availability of better 2 strokes coming along, I am finally beginning to consider supporting the boys that are supporting the bikes I love. But in defense of wardy, I believe you can have a deep seeded anger towards a company and still be attached to the bikes you've grown to love. I'll never buy another new Honda and outside of "being seen" on a Honda smoker at the track, I do nothing else to support their business and will not give another cent of my money to their company.
on the other side of the coin how do you know the other manufacturers also 100% support not having 2 strokes race? Everyone assumes Honda is the only manufacturer saying that JUST because apparently in some interview (of which there is no link to) a Honda guy said it oh and they dont produce them. Just because Yamaha produces 2 strokes does NOT mean they want 2 strokes back racing agains 4 strokes... the history of Yamahas' involvement in 4 strokes would lend weight to that would it not? But oh wait just because they produce 2 strokes then that cant be right eh?
sickboy3636
6/3/2017 2:31pm
I agree with Wardy.......I too have a small stable of Honda smokers. A couple I've had for nearly 10 years. I'm 35 and been a Honda...
kiwifan wrote:
on the other side of the coin how do you know the other manufacturers also 100% support not having 2 strokes race? Everyone assumes Honda is...
on the other side of the coin how do you know the other manufacturers also 100% support not having 2 strokes race? Everyone assumes Honda is the only manufacturer saying that JUST because apparently in some interview (of which there is no link to) a Honda guy said it oh and they dont produce them. Just because Yamaha produces 2 strokes does NOT mean they want 2 strokes back racing agains 4 strokes... the history of Yamahas' involvement in 4 strokes would lend weight to that would it not? But oh wait just because they produce 2 strokes then that cant be right eh?
I'm not just talking about Yamaha. In fact with the money they "haven't" put into the 2 stroke, I wouldn't assume they don't have much interest in it either. I am talking about KTM and Hus. And I don't need some quote from some random dude associated with some element of Honda racing to know that they've been outspoken critics of 2 stroke motors for many years. If you've been paying attentions over the years, they were on the forefront of abandoning the engine. I don't think from the top down they much care about the competitive side of 2 strokes......they're a huge "green based" company and have prided themselves of being advocates for saving the world. Its not just not wanting to race 2 strokes thats pissed me off at Honda, its their holier than thou attitude towards the environment and their overall tree hugging attitude.
kiwifan
6/3/2017 2:54pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2017 2:55pm
I'm not just talking about Yamaha. In fact with the money they "haven't" put into the 2 stroke, I wouldn't assume they don't have much interest...
I'm not just talking about Yamaha. In fact with the money they "haven't" put into the 2 stroke, I wouldn't assume they don't have much interest in it either. I am talking about KTM and Hus. And I don't need some quote from some random dude associated with some element of Honda racing to know that they've been outspoken critics of 2 stroke motors for many years. If you've been paying attentions over the years, they were on the forefront of abandoning the engine. I don't think from the top down they much care about the competitive side of 2 strokes......they're a huge "green based" company and have prided themselves of being advocates for saving the world. Its not just not wanting to race 2 strokes thats pissed me off at Honda, its their holier than thou attitude towards the environment and their overall tree hugging attitude.
yes I guess we dont want manufacturers producing green bikes or worrying about the environment eh? silly Honda, silly Alta, silly KTM for producing a FI 2 strokes....dumb asses eh? Fuck them, lets not buy one more of their bikes to teach them a lesson....
mxb2
6/3/2017 2:59pm
wardy wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
I get your point, guess my logic is different,. I wdnt support,buy or own anything from anyone that I am mad at or did me wrong. Plenty of other new 2 stroke options to support other places.
kiwifan
6/3/2017 4:36pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2017 4:36pm
Ummmm either your are bullshitting or just plain dumb...if you have a 'stable of Honda smokers' then you will need to give them a cent for parts for your smokers.

My advice to you and others who have the same thinking is...get over it !!!!
sickboy3636
6/3/2017 4:40pm
I'm not just talking about Yamaha. In fact with the money they "haven't" put into the 2 stroke, I wouldn't assume they don't have much interest...
kiwifan wrote:
yes I guess we dont want manufacturers producing green bikes or worrying about the environment eh? silly Honda, silly Alta, silly KTM for producing a FI...
yes I guess we dont want manufacturers producing green bikes or worrying about the environment eh? silly Honda, silly Alta, silly KTM for producing a FI 2 strokes....dumb asses eh? Fuck them, lets not buy one more of their bikes to teach them a lesson....
Oh wow....another chest beating self important liberal. I'm all for keeping a clean environment and country.....but to think that the tiny mx environment has the most minuscule effect on the "ozone" when these ass hats fly around in private jets that pollute more in one coastal trip than an American family pumps out in a year, I think its hypocritical and theres bigger fish to fry. There comes a point when going "green" is counter productive.....which if you are educated and pay attention to the ramifications of policy, is why we opted out of the Paris agreement. But keep preaching on your soap box there Bill Nye.
sickboy3636
6/3/2017 4:45pm
kiwifan wrote:
Ummmm either your are bullshitting or just plain dumb...if you have a 'stable of Honda smokers' then you will need to give them a cent for...
Ummmm either your are bullshitting or just plain dumb...if you have a 'stable of Honda smokers' then you will need to give them a cent for parts for your smokers.

Arguing with buffoons like you is such a waste of air......but since I'm sucked into listening to your dumbass preach. How many OEM parts do you need to buy to keep a smoker running? Hmmmmm......Wiseco topend, cometic gasket kit, excel wheels, Eric Gorr Cylinder, Hot Rods crank, NGK plug, Bridgestone tires.....I could go on.....but apparently you're "plain dumb" if you go OEM every time you need to fix your bike. Idiot.
sickboy3636
6/3/2017 4:52pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2017 4:54pm
mxb2 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
I get your point, guess my logic is different,. I wdnt support,buy or own anything from anyone that I am mad at or did me wrong...
I get your point, guess my logic is different,. I wdnt support,buy or own anything from anyone that I am mad at or did me wrong. Plenty of other new 2 stroke options to support other places.
Trust me I feel you......I've got one up for sale now and will also be selling the 125.....but my 03 250 is sewn to my heart. After years of racing together I just can't bring myself to part with it. But trust me, I see where you're coming from. I haven't been as active in racing the last few years...but as I'm getting back into it, I really appreciate the new 2 stroke insurgence and def wanna pour my support behind the companies investing in the market.
kiwifan
6/3/2017 5:34pm
kiwifan wrote:
Ummmm either your are bullshitting or just plain dumb...if you have a 'stable of Honda smokers' then you will need to give them a cent for...

Arguing with buffoons like you is such a waste of air......but since I'm sucked into listening to your dumbass preach. How many OEM parts do you...
Arguing with buffoons like you is such a waste of air......but since I'm sucked into listening to your dumbass preach. How many OEM parts do you need to buy to keep a smoker running? Hmmmmm......Wiseco topend, cometic gasket kit, excel wheels, Eric Gorr Cylinder, Hot Rods crank, NGK plug, Bridgestone tires.....I could go on.....but apparently you're "plain dumb" if you go OEM every time you need to fix your bike. Idiot.
wow two posts from you from my response....gee I must of rattled your cage nicely....you missed my points perfectly..thanks!! As a matter of fact yes I do get some OEM parts, but not all like most do, but think what you like buttercup. I am willing to bet you WILL need an OEM part...and then you are truly fucked then arent you?

Post a reply to: The difference between Husky / KTM....and Honda. ( allowed machines )

The Latest