The difference, MC & RV

Related:
Create New Tag

4/29/2014 6:41 AM

Well, not just these two guys, but the difference between then and now...smile

RV has to train like this stay on top,

MC got to train a little more like this...

|

4/29/2014 7:13 AM

The difference?

MC 7 c'ships, 72 wins
RV 4 c'ships, 40 wins

That's a BIG difference!laughing

|

4/29/2014 7:15 AM

rcm406 wrote:

The difference?

MC 7 c'ships, 72 wins
RV 4 c'ships, 40 wins

^^^That!^^^

|

4/29/2014 7:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/29/2014 7:30 AM

I was trying to point out the difference as far as being "happy"... seems like the pace was just a tad less stressful back then!

I also remember being a huge fan of MC, Fro, Lammy, Henry, Tortelli, etc... that was before the interwebs and fantards though! whistling laughing

|

4/29/2014 7:32 AM

Outsider wrote:

I was trying to point out the difference as far as being "happy"... seems like the pace was just a tad less stressful back ...more

You were a Tortelli fan? You just gained a little bit of props in my book. But don't shit the bed!

|

#SeelyNation
Twitter @JaridSavoy

4/29/2014 7:41 AM

Jarid332 wrote:

You were a Tortelli fan? You just gained a little bit of props in my book. But don't shit the bed!

Yeah, I was there the night he won in the mud. wink

|

4/29/2014 7:44 AM

RV has 5 outdoor titles. MC had 1.

|

4/29/2014 7:48 AM

I'm comfortable stating this opinion...

If you consider a rider being complete in SX and MX... RV is the #2 guy all-time. The dude has the second most titles all-time, doesn't he?

|

Designer of the PulpMx App and PulpMx Fantasy. Visuals were me; code was MarxDawg.

Mercedes Terrell was the GOAT of all Monster girls, don't @ me.

4/29/2014 7:55 AM

Another difference was that MC was a showman also. He really played to the crowd. You don't see too much of that anymore.

|

4/29/2014 8:06 AM

Outsider wrote:

I was trying to point out the difference as far as being "happy"... seems like the pace was just a tad less stressful back ...more

Jarid332 wrote:

Outsider wrote:

Tortelli is one of my favorite riders. One of the only dudes to straight up beat RC.

|

#SeelyNation
Twitter @JaridSavoy

I wonder if Villopoto has ever gone riding in the hills or desert...for fun....since he has been top amatuer / pro - or ever at all ...or has it all been MOTO MOTO MOTO........ Back in the day, i remember seeing guys like Kehoe, Huffman, Kiedrowski out in the desert play riding on the trails.....

|

I know Dad and Pops still love to ride to this day so possibly Ryan may throw a roost for many more years. But you know MC will be grey, balding with a belly bouncing off the cross bar.

|

4/29/2014 8:16 AM

Jarid332 wrote:

Outsider wrote:

Jarid332 wrote:

Tortelli is one of my favorite riders. One of the only dudes to straight up beat RC.

Seb was indeed the man outdoors sometimes, I was a fan..

|

Some of these posts are like reading closed caption on the cartoon channel...

Hello?..Vital?...

4/29/2014 9:03 AM

toddh wrote:

That's why MC is King of Sx. Not King of mx.

|

4/29/2014 12:48 PM

Everyone knows the what you're implying here. whistling

For the record, I do think RV has faced stiffer competition than McGrath did. But it's hard to argue against 7 SX titles and 72 wins. McGrath was head and shoulders above his competition.

|

4/29/2014 1:02 PM

Tumblin wrote:

I know Dad and Pops still love to ride to this day so possibly Ryan may throw a roost for many more years. But you know MC ...more

WTF?

MC has been retired now for what, like 10-12 years. Has done a ton of riding at a pretty high level, is racing trucks and frequently posts on his Twitter/Instagram MTB trips he goes on.

Unless my sarcasm meter is broken, you are way off base here.

|

Violence You Can Believe In

4/29/2014 1:19 PM

rebus wrote:

Everyone knows the what you're implying here. whistling

For the record, I do think RV has faced stiffer competition than McGrath ...more

Wasn't "implying" anything. It would be nice if people could take things around here at face value for a change... whistling

The point is, looking at the two guys careers with the training, and especially the injures RV has had and MC never really did have, you can see how McGrath would be ready to go to Rosarito and party after winning a title, and Villo would be ready for a greasy burger and a nap.

|

4/29/2014 1:25 PM

Tumblin wrote:

I know Dad and Pops still love to ride to this day so possibly Ryan may throw a roost for many more years. But you know MC ...more

usp4u wrote:

WTF?

MC has been retired now for what, like 10-12 years. Has done a ton of riding at a pretty high level, is racing trucks ...more

I think he was actually giving MC a compliment.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

4/29/2014 1:32 PM

Of course hard word pays off, but I think a combination of both worlds is the best; it has already been proven that free riding improves skills (Bailey, JMB, etc). BMX as well (MC, Paulin). By then way, enduro is also a good training, for stamina & mud ! (Paulin). I think that JS7 is a also sort of free mind: when you see him jumping something no one jumped, that is because of talent but also because he has actually trained to jump bigger stuffs.

|

4/29/2014 1:55 PM

McGrath was ahead of his time...

Villopoto is just faster than his competion, most nights. McGrath had style and re-invented the sport, almost like Stewart did with the scrub and the way he attacks the track.

RV's riding style wouldnt be near what it is if MC, RC, and Stewart hadnt raced before him. Like other sports, the technique of riding the motorcylce along with the technology is evolving.

|

4/29/2014 1:55 PM

Tumblin wrote:

usp4u wrote:

WTF?

MC has been retired now for what, like 10-12 years. Has done a ton of riding at a pretty high level, is racing trucks ...more

mx317 wrote:

I think he was actually giving MC a compliment.

I guess it was lost on me then....

|

Violence You Can Believe In

4/29/2014 2:10 PM

I am not an rv fan, he makes racing boring and has zero carisma.... However... If anyone could, it would be him to break mc's records.... Rv is on top of his game, made the field look like spodes this season, and is still relatively young...

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

4/29/2014 2:18 PM

toddh wrote:

yep 5 plus 4 is 9 7 plus 1 is 8 Sorry guys I know we all love Jeremy but the fact is the sports evolved and they just go faster now point blank

|

4/29/2014 2:21 PM

rcm406 wrote:

The difference?

MC 7 c'ships, 72 wins
RV 4 c'ships, 40 wins

May I quote this?
Yes I can!
well said bro

|

My job @ www.spah24.com

4/29/2014 2:27 PM

Vecchia Scuola wrote:

May I quote this?
Yes I can!
well said bro

Do you guys even read the original post? I never once said, implied, or even thought, that RV is better than MC in supercross.

The topic was in regards to the approaches to the sport back then and now and this so-called "happiness" issue..

Maybe you should quote this post, and then write it down so it sinks in! laughing

|

4/29/2014 2:41 PM

rcm406 wrote:

The difference?

MC 7 c'ships, 72 wins
RV 4 c'ships, 40 wins

Vecchia Scuola wrote:

May I quote this?
Yes I can!
well said bro

Outsider wrote:

Do you guys even read the original post? I never once said, implied, or even thought, that RV is better than MC in supercross. ...more

I am sorry about that,
you r right dude!
Getting back to your post:
I think the answer is inside the films:
RV is a hard worker
MC has been working hard with fun

|

My job @ www.spah24.com

4/29/2014 2:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/29/2014 2:50 PM

rcm406 wrote:

The difference?

MC 7 c'ships, 72 wins
RV 4 c'ships, 40 wins

There also exists something as "the outdoors", where racers ride 'outdoors' on a 'brutal' track for more than 35 minutes. Shocking isn't it?

RV 5 c'ships, can't be bothered to look at how many wins
MC 1 c'ship, can't be bothered to look at how many wins

That's a BIG difference! grin

|

"Ryan Dungey will always wonder how he can be a better son, brother, partner and racer. Because if you are satisfied, you will never be able to dream" ~ Troy Adamitis

4/29/2014 5:59 PM

mx 219 wrote:

McGrath was ahead of his time...

Villopoto is just faster than his competion, most nights. McGrath had style and re-invented ...more

Thanks for the concise on the money assessment.

I agree and would add the sport changed significantly when O'Mara created the physical specimen who was the new and improved Ricky Carmichael. Training had always been important but those two guys raised it to a whole new level.

Also McGrath trained enough to be the King of SX snag an outdoor title plus win Daytona. Somewhat apples and oranges to compare MC and RV since one was pre and the other post RC.

|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

4/29/2014 6:11 PM

In case anyone forgets, he had Emig and everyone else covered outdoors in 96 too until his mishap with his foot let Emig sneak in and grab the title. He was also killing it outdoors in 98 with a broken wrist that occurred at the Pontiac SX until pulling out of the series. That could have been 3 outdoor titles right there, so yea, his outdoor riding was not too shabby either.

|

4/29/2014 6:37 PM

downard254 wrote:

In case anyone forgets, he had Emig and everyone else covered outdoors in 96 too until his mishap with his foot let Emig sneak ...more

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas...I watched some of the 1996 season on youtube a while back and McGrath basically handed that title to Emig when he pulled off at Millville, BUT that's what happened and we can't change the past. He still only has one outdoor title. I guess this site wouldn't exist if people could just get along but arguing about who is the better rider is pretty silly.

|