The death of our sport

hillbilly
3/14/2018 10:33am
RichieW13 wrote:
"Right now SX is pulling in 5 times the spectators NASCAR is."

Where are you getting that from?
I watch ever NASCAR race.

The xfinity and truck series has empty stands. At Atlanta is was a double header on Saturday and there was nobody there. I'd guess less than 3 thousand.

At Phoenix last Saturday about the same.

The cup races have more but Atlanta was empty. Daytona can't be counted since it is Daytona

Las Vegas had a decent cup crowd.

You won't find attendance stats because NASCAR won't release them unless something changed this year.

They are ripping out grandstand s all over because of the look of empty seats on TV.

And they replace the ones with this color scheme that makes it look like people are in the seats.

NASCAR is in big trouble. Monster got them for a third of what sprint was paying and it was a two year deal ending this year.

What is odd is the drivers never thank monster in victory lane which is not what they have done with all other sponsors before monster.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/14/2018 10:41am
Titan1 wrote:
As I talk with friends at the off road races...most everyone there used to race moto-myself included-and don't any more. The most common reasons? 1) Not...
As I talk with friends at the off road races...most everyone there used to race moto-myself included-and don't any more. The most common reasons?

1) Not enough track time

2) Tracks are to dangerous

I seem to hear those same complaints here...so I think those are the two biggest issues.

So if a track would to cut way back on the number of classes...and run longer motos...it increases track time, and decreases time between motos. And then tamed their tracks down...took out the big doubles and triples...tamed down the rhythm lanes and man made whoops...people would start racing again, right?

My last desert race had 300 big bikes (not counting mini's or pee wees)...and only because the BLM limited the number of bikes to 300.
Around here off road racing seems to be picking up a lot of the moto guys. I raced my first Big 6 back in 2016 and while it was expensive having to join AMA, District 37, paying from my practice and then my race, it was a ton of fun. Way more of a relaxed and friendly environment. The course was fun and safe. I'd love to do it again and am trying to make it happen again in November. Off road is definitely more bang for your buck. I've been looking at going that way more and more. They don't have a 25+ class, which is a bummer, but the few sand baggers seem to be the only ones that are super serious about it and the rest of the guys are like me and have work on Monday. Their turnouts are incredible!!
bents
Fantasy
909th
3/14/2018 10:44am
Titan1 wrote:
As I talk with friends at the off road races...most everyone there used to race moto-myself included-and don't any more. The most common reasons? 1) Not...
As I talk with friends at the off road races...most everyone there used to race moto-myself included-and don't any more. The most common reasons?

1) Not enough track time

I seem to hear those same complaints here...so I think those are the two biggest issues.

So if a track would to cut way back on the number of classes...and run longer motos...it increases track time, and decreases time between motos. And then tamed their tracks down...took out the big doubles and triples...tamed down the rhythm lanes and man made whoops...people would start racing again, right?

My last desert race had 300 big bikes (not counting mini's or pee wees)...and only because the BLM limited the number of bikes to 300.
oceantrav wrote:
Making tracks boring isn’t going to help anything. Sure, may get a few old guys interested in since then they can jump everything, but a lot...
Making tracks boring isn’t going to help anything. Sure, may get a few old guys interested in since then they can jump everything, but a lot of people won’t come cause the track is lame.

I’m 32 and like jumps. My 10 year old races a local track, cool track but jumps have been all tamed down, 65’s can jump everything. For that reason alone I rarely race there.

Good alternative is to have jumps like a table to table that’s 100ft or so. Then the kids and vets can just jump the tables, and The better riders can jump the quad.
Titan1 wrote:
All I'm telling you is the reason that most of the guys I race off road with no longer race MX. And I'm sure its more...
All I'm telling you is the reason that most of the guys I race off road with no longer race MX.

And I'm sure its more than a "few old guys" that stay away...its a LOT of old guys. Old guys that have money to spend in the sport...but more importantly, its old guys who have kids that they could get into the sport...but those kids don't get into the sport because their dads aren't racing because the tracks are to dangerous.

Like me, for example...I've got two boys (7 and 5)...and rather than racing moto as kids and teenagers-like I did-they are going to race off road because that's what I race (if they want to do the dirt bike thing). Why don't I race moto? Because the tracks are to dangerous.

So moto isn't just losing this old guy...he's losing this old guy and his two boys...because the tracks are to dangerous and there is not enough track time and way to much down time.

Tracks need to be built for the average rider...not the few dudes that jump 100' triples...
All of the above, except for the track part, (I'm with Titan on this) in that tracks get too carried away with building shit that only the 1% can do, or the remarkably unqualified but because they have the bike to do it they try anyway! I would love to race more, but I don't think tracks cater to the old guys enough, as they have both the money and the decades long passion to continue to race. So I'm not spending 200+ for a handful of minutes on a track while waiting hours on end to complete. Money and time, 2 things you need plenty of if you are going to continue to race. And I would wait it out if I could get enough track time to justify it.
Titan1
3/14/2018 10:45am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2018 10:46am
Titan1 wrote:

1) Not enough track time

mattyhamz2 wrote:
Around here off road racing seems to be picking up a lot of the moto guys. I raced my first Big 6 back in 2016 and...
Around here off road racing seems to be picking up a lot of the moto guys. I raced my first Big 6 back in 2016 and while it was expensive having to join AMA, District 37, paying from my practice and then my race, it was a ton of fun. Way more of a relaxed and friendly environment. The course was fun and safe. I'd love to do it again and am trying to make it happen again in November. Off road is definitely more bang for your buck. I've been looking at going that way more and more. They don't have a 25+ class, which is a bummer, but the few sand baggers seem to be the only ones that are super serious about it and the rest of the guys are like me and have work on Monday. Their turnouts are incredible!!
Big 6 is doing a lot of things right! And they are getting a ton of big name riders...Kalib Russell from the GNCC's is racing that series this year, I think?

Once you buy the AMA and D37 memberships...the rest of the races are less expensive.

Way less "bros" in the off road crowd...its more laid back...and you'll get more seat time than most people want on a race day.

The Shop

billyp330
3/14/2018 10:45am
Titan1 wrote:
All I'm telling you is the reason that most of the guys I race off road with no longer race MX. And I'm sure its more...
All I'm telling you is the reason that most of the guys I race off road with no longer race MX.

And I'm sure its more than a "few old guys" that stay away...its a LOT of old guys. Old guys that have money to spend in the sport...but more importantly, its old guys who have kids that they could get into the sport...but those kids don't get into the sport because their dads aren't racing because the tracks are to dangerous.

Like me, for example...I've got two boys (7 and 5)...and rather than racing moto as kids and teenagers-like I did-they are going to race off road because that's what I race (if they want to do the dirt bike thing). Why don't I race moto? Because the tracks are to dangerous.

So moto isn't just losing this old guy...he's losing this old guy and his two boys...because the tracks are to dangerous and there is not enough track time and way to much down time.

Tracks need to be built for the average rider...not the few dudes that jump 100' triples...
I can agree with this as well. No need for sketchy 100' doubles and triples. If you want a nice big jump, make it a tabletop or step up style that leaves plenty of room for error and allows riders to ease into jumping it.

However, the tracks in my area are pretty tame and we still are not getting many racers. I think tracks need to bring more incentives to racers. Racing for a cheap plastic trophy isn't enough of a reward for a lot of people. I understand most tracks cant afford to have big cash payouts and prizes, but what about just offering free practice days or race entries as a prize. I think a lot of people would enjoy that as it brings more value to the race for them and it wouldn't really cost the track much if at all.
Johnny Depp
3/14/2018 10:45am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2018 10:55am
motogrady wrote:
Fixing ac units, I'm in a lot of different places. And I've kinda noticed something in the health/fitness scene. I go to these workout gyms, the...

Fixing ac units, I'm in a lot of different places.
And I've kinda noticed something in the health/fitness scene.

I go to these workout gyms, the huge guys grunting, the massive weights, the "yeah, I'm badass" attitudes,
there's like a dozen guys working out.

I go to this place called Planet Fitness.
There's a hundred people in there.
Consistently.

I asked the manager one day, "How do you do it? This place is always packed."

Told me, we are geared for the average person.
We make it easy, and almost kind of fun to work out.
No big weights. No intimidation. Guys get to grunting, they have to leave.

The average person can go, show up, not worry about being superman, or being made small by some thick neck jerk
WWE wanna be.

And it's cheap.

And they're killing it.
Great analogy Grady.

In MX, most don't realize where all the riders went, yet off road is flourishing and is in a growth mode.

No amount of helicopters rounding up riders seems to faze the core group, you've got to wonder what percentage of participants in the sport get injured and never return. Very few Scramble and Enduro and Dual Sport riders show up at tracks. They choose to ride elsewhere, time, seat time and safety seem to be the prime obstacles.

Decades later track owners and promoters have mostly failed to respond to what consumers want. Catering to a minority is a flawed business model.
Skylebones
3/14/2018 10:52am
Titan1 wrote:

This is my exact situation.

Grew up with MX and love it to death. But this year I'm moving to Hare scrambles and off-road with my boys. I'm 34 with an 8 year old on a 65 and a 6 year old on a 50. I'm switching mostly due to my kid on the 65. Our local peewee tracks are made for little kids just starting out on something like a pw50, no fun on a ktm 65. And then our adult MX tracks are a huge step up in skill level. Tracks around here don't split up practice days. Everyone runs together at the same time, 65's with 450's. And it's too dangerous for my kid on the 65. He isn't doing the huge jumps, and frankly neither am I now that I have kids, a job, a mortgage, and a stay at home wife with no income. Only a handful of people are doing these jumps, but the risk is too much.

So we are switching to off-road.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/14/2018 10:59am
oceantrav wrote:
Making tracks boring isn’t going to help anything. Sure, may get a few old guys interested in since then they can jump everything, but a lot...
Making tracks boring isn’t going to help anything. Sure, may get a few old guys interested in since then they can jump everything, but a lot of people won’t come cause the track is lame.

I’m 32 and like jumps. My 10 year old races a local track, cool track but jumps have been all tamed down, 65’s can jump everything. For that reason alone I rarely race there.

Good alternative is to have jumps like a table to table that’s 100ft or so. Then the kids and vets can just jump the tables, and The better riders can jump the quad.
Titan1 wrote:

bents wrote:
All of the above, except for the track part, (I'm with Titan on this) in that tracks get too carried away with building shit that only...
All of the above, except for the track part, (I'm with Titan on this) in that tracks get too carried away with building shit that only the 1% can do, or the remarkably unqualified but because they have the bike to do it they try anyway! I would love to race more, but I don't think tracks cater to the old guys enough, as they have both the money and the decades long passion to continue to race. So I'm not spending 200+ for a handful of minutes on a track while waiting hours on end to complete. Money and time, 2 things you need plenty of if you are going to continue to race. And I would wait it out if I could get enough track time to justify it.
I don't understand why the tracks build stuff for the small minority. I mean, who's bringing in most of the money for them? Definitely not the local pros. It's the vet guys. It is possible to build tracks that are fun and safe for everyone and a way to do it without 90' doubles and triples. But for some reason track owners love to cater to the few local pros. Do they really think what Johnny Pro wants is the same as what 20 Bob Plumber's want in a track?

Like I said before, Pala and LACR are a good example of vet tracks being way more packed than the main tracks. I remember back in the early 2000's going to Elsinore and seeing both the main and vet tracks being filled with riders, not just one or the other.
Tracktor
3/14/2018 11:01am
My boys & I love to ride. We seem to have more fun when we just go ride & practice together. Also, we have had a bunch of injuries from other riders in mixed gate races doing stupid shit over the last few years. Racing MX is fun but a dead end if taken seriously, IMO. However, if hardcore racing is your bag then go for it. Frankly, "the health of the sport" is completely irrelevant to us.........
mx317
3/14/2018 11:23am
I've been a part of track and race promotion through the years with some successful tracks. Just look at a successful track and try to model after it. The tracks that are built where the majority of people feel comfortable and have fun will get a turnout. The Planet Fitness analogy was a good one. The one I used to use is don't build a BMW or Bentley dealership in Bucksnort, TN and expect big sales. You build the track to suit the majority of riders and the majority are not pros.
TJMX947
3/14/2018 11:42am
I agree with you guys on the track obstacle debate. Look up East Bend MX in North Carolina. Pull up a Go-Pro on YouTube. The track owner bragged that he had 1700 members in 2016 on Facebook once. Their races are PACKED, like 300 - 400 riders. Track is super safe. Its honestly a first rate place to ride.

BobPA
3/14/2018 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2018 12:21pm
TJMX947 wrote:
I agree with you guys on the track obstacle debate. Look up East Bend MX in North Carolina. Pull up a Go-Pro on YouTube. The track...
I agree with you guys on the track obstacle debate. Look up East Bend MX in North Carolina. Pull up a Go-Pro on YouTube. The track owner bragged that he had 1700 members in 2016 on Facebook once. Their races are PACKED, like 300 - 400 riders. Track is super safe. Its honestly a first rate place to ride.

Track looked a bit too mellow for my liking. I still like tracks to have the option for some big jumps.

I think Miles Mountain in PA really fits the bill. Awesome layout, great dirt, natural hills, big safe jumps. This video is from about two years ago...you get the idea.

https://youtu.be/lnaqVxNH6AA

Breezewood in PA also has a good setup. Their Vet track has a killer layout, and their main track is super fun
kkawboy14
3/14/2018 12:24pm
RichieW13 wrote:
"Right now SX is pulling in 5 times the spectators NASCAR is."

Where are you getting that from?
hillbilly wrote:
I watch ever NASCAR race. The xfinity and truck series has empty stands. At Atlanta is was a double header on Saturday and there was nobody...
I watch ever NASCAR race.

The xfinity and truck series has empty stands. At Atlanta is was a double header on Saturday and there was nobody there. I'd guess less than 3 thousand.

At Phoenix last Saturday about the same.

The cup races have more but Atlanta was empty. Daytona can't be counted since it is Daytona

Las Vegas had a decent cup crowd.

You won't find attendance stats because NASCAR won't release them unless something changed this year.

They are ripping out grandstand s all over because of the look of empty seats on TV.

And they replace the ones with this color scheme that makes it look like people are in the seats.

NASCAR is in big trouble. Monster got them for a third of what sprint was paying and it was a two year deal ending this year.

What is odd is the drivers never thank monster in victory lane which is not what they have done with all other sponsors before monster.
They need to make the tracks a destination event, much like what football has done with their stadiums. Shopping, restaurants and so forth.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
3/14/2018 12:32pm
KennyT wrote:
Just a FYI for the older gents in this crowd. Here n So Cal we have a couple very good vintage clubs that hold races throughout...
Just a FYI for the older gents in this crowd. Here n So Cal we have a couple very good vintage clubs that hold races throughout the year. I know the term “vintage” may turn you off but both clubs offer modern bike classes so you can race your new KTM Dungey replica. The good part...the group of riders will not T-bone you over 12th place in the novice class and they won’t land on you over a 60’ triple, because there aren’t any. Still plenty of jumps n bumps, it is what MX used to be before the air circus took over. Not sure of the availability of these clubs across the country but u might check it out. Allowed me to race well into my 50’s pretty safely
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Hey Kenny. Which clubs? I'd really like to look into them. I'm in the process of getting my dads old 82 YZ125 together and would love...
Hey Kenny. Which clubs? I'd really like to look into them. I'm in the process of getting my dads old 82 YZ125 together and would love to race some vintage stuff in the future when I get the chance
Look up ARX or American retro cross and also Calvmx.

Both are great people running the races. Lots of old guys of course but also kids and ladies. At Calvmx you can watch Scott Burnworth hailing ass on old Ossa’s. Occasionally Marty Tripes is running the BBQ.

Rick Doughty runs the ARX races, they are usually at Glen Helen. Races at Comp Edge, Perris, Glen Helen to name a few. Great groups of people just out to have fun and make sure everyone is able to get to work on Monday. It does still give you the thrill of lining up behind a gate and heading into the first turn. Racing’s racing....doesn’t matter who’s on the line, there’s nothing like it
billyp330
3/14/2018 12:35pm
BobPA wrote:
Track looked a bit too mellow for my liking. I still like tracks to have the option for some big jumps. I think Miles Mountain in...
Track looked a bit too mellow for my liking. I still like tracks to have the option for some big jumps.

I think Miles Mountain in PA really fits the bill. Awesome layout, great dirt, natural hills, big safe jumps. This video is from about two years ago...you get the idea.

https://youtu.be/lnaqVxNH6AA

Breezewood in PA also has a good setup. Their Vet track has a killer layout, and their main track is super fun
Do they get good turnouts for races?

This is a vid of me at my local track TV Land MX. Track is nice and mellow and has pretty good dirt. This is from a couple yrs ago, but other then a few things the track is pretty similar (the little whoops are gone mostly due to people complaining they were to difficult from what I heard)

This year they are hosting one of the Battle for Ohio races, so I'm really hoping they are going to get a great turnout.

4rings
3/14/2018 12:38pm
oceantrav wrote:
Why is everyone adding the cost of food for the day into the cost of racing? Y’all wouldn’t eat food if you weren’t racing?? And got...
Why is everyone adding the cost of food for the day into the cost of racing? Y’all wouldn’t eat food if you weren’t racing??

And got to factor in the cost of what other gay shit you’d be doing on a Sunday if not riding, sure you’d still be spending money
hahahahaha COTD
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
3/14/2018 12:43pm
For people in here saying they no longer race or even ride because of dangerous tracks (I.e. big/steep jumps), I encourage you to look into your local vintage racing scene.

We have great vintage racing here in Texas with the TVRC as an example. It is very fun and there are classes for bikes from the beginning of time (like my 1975 KX250) all the way to 2008 two-strokes with both A and B classes. When I was young and taking moto seriously I never would have thought I’d enjoy racing old bikes but I can tell you that they are a freaking blast. You will experience much less carnage because even on a modern track, you don’t feel the need to huck the big gaps when you aren’t confident your bike can take the beating. If you like jumping everything on every track, don’t worry, we got you covered with the classes for 90s and 2000s two strokes but everyone still has work on Monday and understands no factory rides will be given out.

I’m sure some of the local moto bros look at people like me as a goon riding a pos and that’s fine, I get it, but I’m having a hell of a lot of fun on the weekends.

Uncle Tony
3/14/2018 12:50pm
731chopper wrote:
For people in here saying they no longer race or even ride because of dangerous tracks (I.e. big/steep jumps), I encourage you to look into your...
For people in here saying they no longer race or even ride because of dangerous tracks (I.e. big/steep jumps), I encourage you to look into your local vintage racing scene.

We have great vintage racing here in Texas with the TVRC as an example. It is very fun and there are classes for bikes from the beginning of time (like my 1975 KX250) all the way to 2008 two-strokes with both A and B classes. When I was young and taking moto seriously I never would have thought I’d enjoy racing old bikes but I can tell you that they are a freaking blast. You will experience much less carnage because even on a modern track, you don’t feel the need to huck the big gaps when you aren’t confident your bike can take the beating. If you like jumping everything on every track, don’t worry, we got you covered with the classes for 90s and 2000s two strokes but everyone still has work on Monday and understands no factory rides will be given out.

I’m sure some of the local moto bros look at people like me as a goon riding a pos and that’s fine, I get it, but I’m having a hell of a lot of fun on the weekends.

Vintage racing is a blast, here in the northeast ACR does a great job, lots of track time, reasonably cheap and go to some cool tracks, I break out the KX500 and always have a good time
Frodad78
3/14/2018 12:52pm
731chopper wrote:
For people in here saying they no longer race or even ride because of dangerous tracks (I.e. big/steep jumps), I encourage you to look into your...

I've been waiting on getting my suspension back, hope to make it to the Burleson round.
doghouse
3/14/2018 12:54pm
doghouse wrote:
You are missing what I'm saying. And I'm definitely quoting you. This is a systemic problem, and nothing is gonna change unless people don't stop discounting...
You are missing what I'm saying. And I'm definitely quoting you.

This is a systemic problem, and nothing is gonna change unless people don't stop discounting everything just because it isn't a personal show stopper to them. Nothing I listed is something that is keeping me away from racing, but it certainly is keeping others away, and whether you say that you don't need a new bike or a 4 stroke or whatever, it is indeed keeping people from racing. Try to tell them why they are wrong isn't going to make more people line up.

I didn't say you told people to get over it, I said if you do indeed say that, or proceed to mock them, it isn't going to bring people to the gates. The answer is to find what they want and provide it.

If you just want to make snarky remarks at me, knock yourself out, but what I'm telling is the truth. Make it more fun than whatever it is they are doing now, and they will race.

I like riding dirt bikes. More than almost anything. I have way more fun at the moment building and riding mine than I would have at a race track, it's really that simple. And everyone else not racing has made a similar calculation.
billyp330 wrote:
You listed 2 actual issues on your post where you commented me. "Several. Cost of four strokes, the time suck of peewee racing, etc...". Let me...
You listed 2 actual issues on your post where you commented me. "Several. Cost of four strokes, the time suck of peewee racing, etc...". Let me elaborate on them for you in a nice systematic way.

Issue 1 - 4 strokes - Still completely irrelevant to local racing as no one forces you to buy a 4 stroke. I could also easily argue how my 4 stroke has actually been less expensive for me then my 2000 kx250 I used to own along with my 4 stroke. I understand that for some the 4 strokes are more expensive due to having to pay for people to work on them, where as the 2 stroke its easier to DIY. Either way 4 strokes are not the reason for less rider turn outs for racing. If people believe that they cant be competitive without the latest greatest 4 stroke, they are wrong and need to be educated. Maybe my way of stating it was a bit "snarky" but its still true. Do NOT need a 4 stroke to race, therefore eliminated 4 strokes from the equation.

Issue 2 - Pee Wee "time suck"- see my comment you tried to discount. In that same comment I state that I'm not declaring that its the perfect solution, just another opinion about that particular debate. Therefore not discounting it as an issue, just giving more feedback on an actual solution to the problem.

Please take note on how I quoted comments you actually made.
Yeah, it's shocking racing is dying.

Look, I don't know why you are so aggressively attacking what I'm saying, I've said nothing snarky or condescending to you whatsoever. But you actually aren't responding to what I'm saying at all, just read the post you were responding to. Those big paragraphs you just wrote are completely irrelevant. You can't tell people why their reasons are wrong, you will get literally zero folks back to the gate that way. I could list 100 points and not even scratch the surface, the two I put up were just for brevity's sake. The fact that you are trying to rebut them at all means you don't see what I'm saying. You need to make peoples reasons for going outweigh their reasons for not. Telling them why they are wrong doesn't accomplish anything. If they don't want to race because all of the 4 strokes, they just won't no matter what your opinion is. If they don't want to spend all day at the track, they won't. If they don't like the tracks, they won't go. If they don't like the people, they won't go. If they don't like the travel time, they won't go. It goes on forever, and everyone has there own reasons, no matter how trivial to you. You can never make every person on the planet happy, but if you don't give a majority of riders conditions that satisfy them, then attendance will continue to drop. Give more the a majority what they want, attendance will rise. It's not complicated.

At the end of the day, people want to have fun riding their bikes. If races don't supply that to enough people, they will go away.

doghouse
3/14/2018 12:56pm
njracer46 wrote:
So don't buy the latest and greatest, plenty of good deals on new leftover bikes. You can find new left overs for 5-6 grand, kawis and...
So don't buy the latest and greatest, plenty of good deals on new leftover bikes. You can find new left overs for 5-6 grand, kawis and suzukis go for dirt cheap.
doghouse wrote:
Yeah, the point is I don't want that kind of bike.
Titan1 wrote:
Then buy a used two stroke for $4K-$5K put a grand or two into it to freshen it up-and it'll be almost as good as new-and...
Then buy a used two stroke for $4K-$5K put a grand or two into it to freshen it up-and it'll be almost as good as new-and you've got a great bike, that you want to ride, for $6K...and go racing.

What stops you from doing that?
Not wanting to deal with all the shit racing entails anymore. I've got 15k into a 2003 CR250, it's not a money issue.
peelout
3/14/2018 1:02pm
what a fuckin' dumbass thread
Titan1
3/14/2018 1:03pm
doghouse wrote:
Yeah, the point is I don't want that kind of bike.
Titan1 wrote:
Then buy a used two stroke for $4K-$5K put a grand or two into it to freshen it up-and it'll be almost as good as new-and...
Then buy a used two stroke for $4K-$5K put a grand or two into it to freshen it up-and it'll be almost as good as new-and you've got a great bike, that you want to ride, for $6K...and go racing.

What stops you from doing that?
doghouse wrote:
Not wanting to deal with all the shit racing entails anymore. I've got 15k into a 2003 CR250, it's not a money issue.
Okay fine...but what did you mean you when you said: " I'll race again when manufacturers quit pushing 10k 4 stroke spaceships. Until then everyone should quit racing and only ride for fun."

If its not a money issue, what do you have against $10K four strokes?
doghouse
3/14/2018 1:03pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
Vintage racing is a blast, here in the northeast ACR does a great job, lots of track time, reasonably cheap and go to some cool tracks...
Vintage racing is a blast, here in the northeast ACR does a great job, lots of track time, reasonably cheap and go to some cool tracks, I break out the KX500 and always have a good time
Yeah I wish they would have more of that scene here so I could bust out the CR500 more often.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
3/14/2018 1:05pm
KennyT wrote:
Just a FYI for the older gents in this crowd. Here n So Cal we have a couple very good vintage clubs that hold races throughout...
Just a FYI for the older gents in this crowd. Here n So Cal we have a couple very good vintage clubs that hold races throughout the year. I know the term “vintage” may turn you off but both clubs offer modern bike classes so you can race your new KTM Dungey replica. The good part...the group of riders will not T-bone you over 12th place in the novice class and they won’t land on you over a 60’ triple, because there aren’t any. Still plenty of jumps n bumps, it is what MX used to be before the air circus took over. Not sure of the availability of these clubs across the country but u might check it out. Allowed me to race well into my 50’s pretty safely
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Hey Kenny. Which clubs? I'd really like to look into them. I'm in the process of getting my dads old 82 YZ125 together and would love...
Hey Kenny. Which clubs? I'd really like to look into them. I'm in the process of getting my dads old 82 YZ125 together and would love to race some vintage stuff in the future when I get the chance
KennyT wrote:
Look up ARX or American retro cross and also Calvmx. Both are great people running the races. Lots of old guys of course but also kids...
Look up ARX or American retro cross and also Calvmx.

Both are great people running the races. Lots of old guys of course but also kids and ladies. At Calvmx you can watch Scott Burnworth hailing ass on old Ossa’s. Occasionally Marty Tripes is running the BBQ.

Rick Doughty runs the ARX races, they are usually at Glen Helen. Races at Comp Edge, Perris, Glen Helen to name a few. Great groups of people just out to have fun and make sure everyone is able to get to work on Monday. It does still give you the thrill of lining up behind a gate and heading into the first turn. Racing’s racing....doesn’t matter who’s on the line, there’s nothing like it
Thanks!

We have a friend that races the Calvmx and she's been doing it for years. She absolutely loves them. I'm sure I'll being seeing you at a few of these in the future
doghouse
3/14/2018 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2018 1:17pm
Titan1 wrote:
Okay fine...but what did you mean you when you said: " I'll race again when manufacturers quit pushing 10k 4 stroke spaceships. Until then everyone should...
Okay fine...but what did you mean you when you said: " I'll race again when manufacturers quit pushing 10k 4 stroke spaceships. Until then everyone should quit racing and only ride for fun."

If its not a money issue, what do you have against $10K four strokes?
If you want to get into the reasons I don't race much anymore, it's the culture really. When I say because of the 10k four strokes, it's not because the cost of the bike, or the fact they are four stroke, it's the keeping up with the Jones' need an RV Monster Energy Bro gotta have the latest gear only want tracks with 120' triples gonna be the next supercross all star attitude from everyone from dad's to kids. It's killing the sport, and by which I mean the real average joe who just wants to have fun, which is the real sport, not the SX you watch on TV. There's other factors for me as well, like distance and such, but those wouldn't stop me if it wasn't for the general culture. The manufacturers pushing these hyper complicated expensive bikes while using their clout to crowd out others is just another example of it.

Before anyone says 'well, you don't have to do that just show up', yeah, I know I can do that. But I honestly don't want to be around it. I've got land and equipment to make my own track, in any configuration I want, and my friends and I can partake however we want. Why would I go be around a bunch of people I don't want to be around when I could do that?

It's just my particular situation, but as I've said elsewhere, there are hundreds and probably even thousands of different situations for different people that are steering them in other directions.
mx317
3/14/2018 1:18pm
peelout wrote:
what a fuckin' dumbass thread
Come on now, say what you really feel! LOL
Titan1
3/14/2018 1:21pm
doghouse wrote:
If you want to get into the reasons I don't race much anymore, it's the culture really. When I say because of the 10k four strokes...
If you want to get into the reasons I don't race much anymore, it's the culture really. When I say because of the 10k four strokes, it's not because the cost of the bike, or the fact they are four stroke, it's the keeping up with the Jones' need an RV Monster Energy Bro gotta have the latest gear only want tracks with 120' triples gonna be the next supercross all star attitude from everyone from dad's to kids. It's killing the sport, and by which I mean the real average joe who just wants to have fun, which is the real sport, not the SX you watch on TV. There's other factors for me as well, like distance and such, but those wouldn't stop me if it wasn't for the general culture. The manufacturers pushing these hyper complicated expensive bikes while using their clout to crowd out others is just another example of it.

Before anyone says 'well, you don't have to do that just show up', yeah, I know I can do that. But I honestly don't want to be around it. I've got land and equipment to make my own track, in any configuration I want, and my friends and I can partake however we want. Why would I go be around a bunch of people I don't want to be around when I could do that?

It's just my particular situation, but as I've said elsewhere, there are hundreds and probably even thousands of different situations for different people that are steering them in other directions.
I hear ya on that...I can't stand that attitude either, I hate it...

One benefit of racing offroad stuff is there isn't much of that at all...occasionally a moto bro will show up thinking off road is easy and for people too slow to race moto...but they don't usually last too long and pull out of the race half way because they are tired of getting passed all afternoon...usually with some stupid excuse "bike wasn't running right" or something stupid like "F that dust man...this is why I race moto".

Everyone in offroad knows there isn't a future in it (money wise...only a small small handful of guys get a paycheck to race off road-such that they don't have to have another job)...and that changes the attitude with which we participate...we're there for fun...so we help each other...look out for each other...and it don't matter if you show up on a 15 year old two stroke or the Rockstar Edition Husky 450...

Post a reply to: The death of our sport

The Latest