The coolest MX video game thing I've ever seen...

kburgie
9/20/2017 6:46pm Edited Date/Time 11/8/2017 4:54pm
I don't play MX Simulator. I tried it out and wasn't that into it, but I went down a YouTube rabbit hole tonight and found the coolest video game thing I've ever seen. This guy built a track in a sandbox, added ruts with a toy bike, 3D scanned the thing and made a playable work of art. Wow!

|
Ti
9/20/2017 7:51pm
Thanks for sharing... that was GREAT!!! Had to wake up the kids, so they could check it out. My kids make tracks all the time, at the beach and in the mud..............
jeffro503
9/20/2017 8:02pm
Wondering exactly how he " scanned " the track? No mention of how that I saw. I know back in the day we used photoshop with white to grey as the gradient. I sucked at making them for MCM2 , but there are a few dudes on this site that used to make legendary ones.
Braaaphole
9/20/2017 8:05pm
I want to hit that double in the corner, looks fun
22Ryann
Fantasy
3989th
9/21/2017 2:25am
jeffro503 wrote:
Wondering exactly how he " scanned " the track? No mention of how that I saw. I know back in the day we used photoshop with...
Wondering exactly how he " scanned " the track? No mention of how that I saw. I know back in the day we used photoshop with white to grey as the gradient. I sucked at making them for MCM2 , but there are a few dudes on this site that used to make legendary ones.
Pretty sure they use an app that uses the phone camera to completely go over the track and scan. They use similar technology with drones scanning land which can now make 3d models based solely off the camera.

The Shop

kburgie
9/21/2017 5:40am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2017 5:45am
jeffro503 wrote:
Wondering exactly how he " scanned " the track? No mention of how that I saw. I know back in the day we used photoshop with...
I got into graphic and web design through making tracks and skins for MCM2 and remember the 256x256 (and then one day 512x512!) gradient track designs. I don't know what tool or camera he used but apparently it's a 12k scan, which the internet says is 1.5 billion pixels.
vikingBoy
9/21/2017 6:19am
That was dope! Makes me want to try MX sim again. When I tried it years ago there was only the first person view, which I cant stand in any MX games for some reason.
dboivin
9/21/2017 6:27am
vikingBoy wrote:
That was dope! Makes me want to try MX sim again. When I tried it years ago there was only the first person view, which I...
That was dope! Makes me want to try MX sim again. When I tried it years ago there was only the first person view, which I cant stand in any MX games for some reason.
been playin mxsim since 2010. i don't think i could ever play an mxgame in 3rd person ever again.
kNewc
9/21/2017 6:36am
People have told me MX Sim is better than any motocross game out there. The video he posted clearly demonstrates otherwise. He went completely sideways going down a straight and reset lol
9/21/2017 7:58am
jeffro503 wrote:
There are a bunch of software options now that will take photos and turn it into a 3d model.
You can even do it with life size tracks by using a drone, and relatively cheap at that. No special camera required. Just a stock DJI Phantom 3 or 4 will do the trick.
But after you get the 3d model, you still convert it to a grey scale displacement map, like you mentioned.

By the way, online erode (or terrain deformation as most would better know it as) has been much improved recently and is still getting refined. So the game will continue to evolve.
Acidreamer
9/21/2017 8:05am
The guy makes the track in a sandbox and 3d scans it with all the ruts he made
JAFO92
9/21/2017 8:07am
Braaaphole wrote:
I want to hit that double in the corner, looks fun
That was pretty dang cool
jeffro503
9/21/2017 8:13am
jeffro503 wrote:
There are a bunch of software options now that will take photos and turn it into a 3d model. You can even do it with life...
There are a bunch of software options now that will take photos and turn it into a 3d model.
You can even do it with life size tracks by using a drone, and relatively cheap at that. No special camera required. Just a stock DJI Phantom 3 or 4 will do the trick.
But after you get the 3d model, you still convert it to a grey scale displacement map, like you mentioned.

By the way, online erode (or terrain deformation as most would better know it as) has been much improved recently and is still getting refined. So the game will continue to evolve.
Aha.....thanks you guys. I kind of figured it was something like that. I don't know much of anything about it , so kind of cool to hear what's possible in creating these tracks now days.

One of my winter hobbies ( or any off night I can find time really ) is sim racing cars. I have all the top notch sims here , and quite a few of those tracks are " Laser scanned ". They can measure the tracks from width to elevation within an inch or so , and they are exact replica's of the tracks.
zehn
9/21/2017 8:25am
kNewc wrote:
People have told me MX Sim is better than any motocross game out there. The video he posted clearly demonstrates otherwise. He went completely sideways going...
People have told me MX Sim is better than any motocross game out there. The video he posted clearly demonstrates otherwise. He went completely sideways going down a straight and reset lol
You should watch someone who is good at the game. I don't play it FWIW but I've seen guys that are very good and they make it look easy
peelout
9/21/2017 8:25am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2017 8:27am
kNewc wrote:
People have told me MX Sim is better than any motocross game out there. The video he posted clearly demonstrates otherwise. He went completely sideways going...
yeah, i'm with you. all i've been hearing is how it's very realistic, which in ways it seems to be, but that triple was like 150' long... not sure how that's any different to say "Encore". don't get me wrong, it looks awesome and the game has come a LONG way, but still looks very floaty and unrealistic. that one quad he finally did clean (second video) was ungodly huge and would make Stew blush.

anyway, badass video and that track is sweet. i'm waiting for the day Feld calls up some of these guys to create real supercross track layouts and put them to use, kind of like when the ex-pro's made up all the designs.
SKlein
9/21/2017 10:13am
peelout wrote:
yeah, i'm with you. all i've been hearing is how it's very realistic, which in ways it seems to be, but that triple was like 150'...
yeah, i'm with you. all i've been hearing is how it's very realistic, which in ways it seems to be, but that triple was like 150' long... not sure how that's any different to say "Encore". don't get me wrong, it looks awesome and the game has come a LONG way, but still looks very floaty and unrealistic. that one quad he finally did clean (second video) was ungodly huge and would make Stew blush.

anyway, badass video and that track is sweet. i'm waiting for the day Feld calls up some of these guys to create real supercross track layouts and put them to use, kind of like when the ex-pro's made up all the designs.
That kind of comes down to how people are scaling the tracks, not the base physics of the game. There's 1:1 scaled tracks, but they don't work great for racing so most people don't bother going that route.
9/21/2017 11:26am
kNewc wrote:
peelout wrote:
yeah, i'm with you. all i've been hearing is how it's very realistic, which in ways it seems to be, but that triple was like 150'...

Every year, an organization in the MX Simulator community called RaceFactory Gaming hosts a replica Supercross and Motocross series. The races are held the week prior to the actual real life race, run the same format as the real races, and the tracks are a replica of the actual tracks they race in real life.

Here's an on-board camera of a top 450 pro at San Diego SX. Full gate of online racers, 20 minutes + 1 lap main event. This race he had to do damage control but it's a good representation of how hard and how intense the racing gets.

https://youtu.be/7crTimh-Vs4?rel=0
mx_phreek
Fantasy
242nd
9/21/2017 1:28pm
That 90 corner jump is sweet in first vid at about 2:11. That would be cool in sx series. Actually that track looks better than whats planed for next year lol
Motodave15
9/21/2017 1:58pm
vikingBoy wrote:
That was dope! Makes me want to try MX sim again. When I tried it years ago there was only the first person view, which I...
I only play mx sim in 3rd person, i cant stand helmet cam...when you're in the game just press tab
MW19
9/21/2017 2:37pm
MX sim is pretty rad. For the people that knock it, I'd say give it a long chance. It took me a few months before I actually started to get ok at it and was fun to play. Which I know a lot of people dont want to take that time. But for me it was worth it. I hate 1st person view in this game but love 3rd person. The game is the most realistic experience you can get except for an offline points series with custom tracks. The graphics arent MXGP level but they are definitely good enough to not be distracted by low quality once you download custom bikes and tracks. I love being able to make my own tracks. There is a constant stream of new tracks available which you can't get with any other game.
pmshortt2
11/2/2017 8:34am
I downloaded MXsim and really really did not like it. It was just the demo. From what I’ve seen on YouTube, apparently most people use an Xbox controller? I’m cool with giving it time and everything, but using a keyboard it just didn’t seem fun lol
aeffertz
11/2/2017 8:36am
pmshortt2 wrote:
I downloaded MXsim and really really did not like it. It was just the demo. From what I’ve seen on YouTube, apparently most people use an...
I downloaded MXsim and really really did not like it. It was just the demo. From what I’ve seen on YouTube, apparently most people use an Xbox controller? I’m cool with giving it time and everything, but using a keyboard it just didn’t seem fun lol
Using a controller is definitely the way to go.
NVA57
Fantasy
1742nd
11/2/2017 9:06am
pmshortt2 wrote:
I downloaded MXsim and really really did not like it. It was just the demo. From what I’ve seen on YouTube, apparently most people use an...
I played with just my keyboard for over a year. Got pretty good at it I thought until I switched to a controller... Get one ASAP if you want to enjoy the game.
kott0n
Fantasy
3717th
11/2/2017 9:55am
It's more than just "Use an xbox controller" as the default settings are terrible. You have to know how to set the controller up. I don't how to set it up and was't trying to learn how to set it up, that's too much. It should have some general presets and by presets I mean ones that work.
SKlein
11/2/2017 9:59am Edited Date/Time 11/2/2017 10:00am
kott0n wrote:
It's more than just "Use an xbox controller" as the default settings are terrible. You have to know how to set the controller up. I don't...
It's more than just "Use an xbox controller" as the default settings are terrible. You have to know how to set the controller up. I don't how to set it up and was't trying to learn how to set it up, that's too much. It should have some general presets and by presets I mean ones that work.
Google could solve your controller setup questions fairly quick, or just taking two minutes to test it out. Left click the control (throttle?) you want to change and then press whichever controller button you want associated with that (right bumper?).
11/2/2017 10:04am Edited Date/Time 11/2/2017 10:05am
kott0n wrote:
It's more than just "Use an xbox controller" as the default settings are terrible. You have to know how to set the controller up. I don't...
yeah, setting up your controller to play the game is very easy. you just select what option you want to change with your mouse and then touch the button on your controller that you want it to be. then move to the next button. it takes 3 mins
11/2/2017 10:06am
If you don't think MX Simulator is the best moto game in existence, it's because you suck at it. End of story.
kott0n
Fantasy
3717th
11/2/2017 10:21am
You guys are commenting on button mapping, sure that's easy. This is the inherent terrible stick controls I'm speaking on.
Trevor91
11/2/2017 10:57am
rongi#401 wrote:
https://youtu.be/Ztz6dXiy4_s

me last year at the organized LL, 40 guy gate.
won my regional in schoolboy with a 3-3
you got so lucky with that start the gate barely fell as u went but that feeling is awesome for sure.
SKlein
11/2/2017 11:21am
kott0n wrote:
You guys are commenting on button mapping, sure that's easy. This is the inherent terrible stick controls I'm speaking on.
"I don't how to set it up and was't trying to learn how to set it up, that's too much."

We're commenting on the statement you made, nothing more. Could you elaborate more on the terrible stick controls?

Post a reply to: The coolest MX video game thing I've ever seen...

The Latest