The careers of 7 vs 22

Related:
Create New Tag

1/31/2016 10:13 AM

As a Reed fan I endured years of the "Reed has never beaten Stewart when he didn't crash" talk. Now as the careers of the two are nearing their end I'm asking this simple question. Who has been more successful in their career, both have had moments of brilliance, and WTF is going on.

I say Reed, he is almost 20 years into his professional career. He has come back from being written off multiple times, and at an age when most former champions have been retired for 5 years is still a threat for wins. He came from across the globe to make a life in a new country with the support of only one person/future family member. And has far exceeded what anyone could have predicted.

You'll notice there was zero Stewart bashing in this post, just a question.

|

1/31/2016 10:20 AM

Reed in my opinion.

|

1/31/2016 10:29 AM

Difficult to say who has the best careers (perhaps Stewart by a nudge) but if you would have asked who I want to be, then I would definitely be like Reed than Stewart!

|

"Ryan Dungey will always wonder how he can be a better son, brother, partner and racer. Because if you are satisfied, you will never be able to dream" ~ Troy Adamitis

1/31/2016 10:37 AM

Chad comes back to racing people are hyped – Stewart comes back to racing and everyone expects him to blow our minds.

While Reed may have had a "smoother" career there is something to be said for having earned that reputation.

|

1/31/2016 10:37 AM

Stewart changed the way riders ride a motorcycle...nuff said

|

1/31/2016 10:39 AM

Titles are more important than race wins, that should answer your question.

|

1/31/2016 10:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/31/2016 11:11 AM

Reed can still win races, Stewart not so much so as much as I dislike Reed I would say he has had a more successful run.

|

1/31/2016 11:02 AM

Reed,he has had a more consistent career which is more appealing to me then checkers or wreckers.

|

1/31/2016 11:05 AM

how many 450sx races have each started? I know Reed has raced at lest 30 plus more than Stew.

|

1/31/2016 11:14 AM

Thats the problem, Stewart has run out of time. He has been on the sideline to long and too many times during his career and now he has come face to face with the one thing that gets everyone. Time waits for no one.

|

1/31/2016 11:23 AM

Ricky.

/Thread.

|

" Things I learned on vital ralph sucks emig sucks ricky sucks pieck sucks stewart sucks dungey sucks canard sucks female floor reporters suck ktm sucks everything sucks. This is a forum for people who hate motocross. " - Reefer Sutherland.

1/31/2016 11:37 AM

Chad is 3 years older.

I would prefer to be Chad right now, I think he will feel better in 10 years. I think James has had a better career. They are both legends.

|

1/31/2016 11:41 AM

Yep, and thats my point. , both great riders. Alot of riders win races, not alot win titles. , both still fast,but wont win anymore titles.

|

1/31/2016 12:18 PM

24-0..(stewy gets the nudge by alot for that)

|

"Life is Too Short To Last Long"

1/31/2016 12:21 PM

Motodave15 wrote:

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! 2 guys in the HISTORY of the sport did that.....................IMO the total level of the bar for being badass............and something that Dungey should work really hard at to eliminate al the "would, shoulda, coulda" of who is or is not on the line cool cool

|

1/31/2016 12:23 PM

So we just completely dismiss Reeds titles he won in Australia is this how it works? Didn't Reed only spend one year on a lites bike in the US and won a supercross title in that one year. Then jumped straight in the big bike class to race against the Goat. But in the 450 class they have the same amount of titles but James has more wins. To be fair you can't dismiss one persons titles while claiming the other persons.

|

1/31/2016 12:26 PM

If you're asking who's had the better career in terms of numbers and achievement and stuff like that then Stewart probably shades it. However, if you're asking who will be happier with their career then I think almost certainly Reed. He's been competitive way past the point that anyone thought he would be and has been very successful for over a decade. Stewart has won probably more than Reed, but he hasn't won nearly enough in my opinion. If you'd have said when he had his unbeaten outdoor season that he'd only win 1 more title in the next 7 or 8 years then they'd have been called crazy. Both guys have had great careers, but I think JS7 will feel that he should have a lot more titles for how talented he is

|

1/31/2016 12:27 PM

As a career - early Bubba, late Reed. Reed has gained respect through time while Bubba has lost it. I am still a huge fan of both. Heal up James - there are still people out there that would like to watch you ride (or not, your choice).

|

1/31/2016 12:31 PM

I was going off usa races,titles. Etc, and stewart went 24-0 , imo he gets the edge. , and. Rv,rd5 mc . are above them. And no one is close to RC.

|

1/31/2016 12:33 PM

I honestly couldn't quantify "better". They both made a boatload of money being really good at racing dirtbikes. If neither one ever lined up again they will have left enduring legacies. Just glad I was around to witness their exploits. The sport benefited from their part in it. Love them or hate 'em...they give/gave it everything they have/had. Hope it$s not over yet.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

1/31/2016 12:35 PM

James has more titles and wins. Maybe he hasn't met the stratospheric expectations that he has always been held to, but numbers don't lie.

|

1/31/2016 12:39 PM

Motodave15 wrote:

mauidex wrote:

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! 2 guys in the HISTORY of the sport did that.....................IMO the total level of the bar for being badass............and something that Dungey should work really hard at to eliminate al the "would, shoulda, coulda" of who is or is not on the line cool cool

and why the GOAT is the GOAT.........he did it twice!!!!!!!!! and a few SX titles and race wins thrown in for da fuk of it laughing laughing

|

1/31/2016 12:40 PM

My belief is that RC and James in their prime is still the best this sport has been. James going to Yamaha and making some other questionable decisions opened the door for Dungey and RV to step in but aging Reed and James who basically was never the same guy from 2010 on could still compete and win races, but titles anymore. Between James and Chad, it's easily James.

|

1/31/2016 12:42 PM

Has anybody ever calculated a "starts/finishes" vs "starts/DNF" ratio? I'd be curious on that breakdown.

|

1/31/2016 12:52 PM

Motodave15 wrote:

mauidex wrote:

mauidex wrote:

and why the GOAT is the GOAT.........he did it twice!!!!!!!!! and a few SX titles and race wins thrown in for da fuk of it laughing laughing

Almost did it 3 times, add the lapping the field at milville, no ones close to RC.

|

1/31/2016 12:53 PM

JB 19 wrote:

James has more titles and wins. Maybe he hasn't met the stratospheric expectations that he has always been held to, but numbers don't lie.

X2, more wins, and 24-0 make it a easy decision.

|

1/31/2016 1:23 PM

?t=2m30s
|

1/31/2016 1:26 PM

|

1/31/2016 1:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/31/2016 1:42 PM

es337 wrote:

?t=2m30s

Wow i forgot about that race and i was there that day. "Whata cruel rookie", fucking classic.

|

1/31/2016 1:37 PM

Stewart has the better career overall. The number of wins and championships don't lie. It's all about winning championships and Stewart has more. Not sure how anyone can even argue that.

Reed has had a better career the last couple years. Mainly because he's been out there, whether riding well or not. Stewart hasn't been there much the last couple years so its obvious who has been better career wise recently.

Overall=Stewart
Recent=Reed

|