The bike.the myth.the ride that changed mx riding

Related:
Create New Tag

12/26/2020 7:46 AM

|

12/26/2020 10:46 AM

I thought this was gonna be about the '73 Elsinores or the 1st OW/YZ400 that Dubach raced...

grin

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

12/26/2020 11:04 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

I thought this was gonna be about the '73 Elsinores or the 1st OW/YZ400 that Dubach raced...

grin

I was thinking the same thing, had to be about 4 strokes. Didn't Smail actually win the race to be the first to qualify on a 4 stroke? I recall the bike looking like an absolute tank.

|

12/26/2020 11:08 AM

I thought it was going to be about Willi Bauer's Maico

|

12/26/2020 12:09 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

grin

JeepnMike wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, had to be about 4 strokes. Didn't Smail actually win the race to be the first to qualify on a 4 stroke? I recall the bike looking like an absolute tank.

Way back in 1989, Greg Zitterkopf was qualifying and racing the nats on a 4 stroke ATK.

|

12/26/2020 12:10 PM

I think James would have smoked RC on a 125. James was the best 125 rider ever.

|

12/26/2020 12:38 PM

Suicidal_Tendencies wrote:

I don’t know about ’smoked’, but I do agree and believe that Stewart was faster on a 125.

But I definitely think that they would have been relatively close and obviously RC would have been more competition in the class than Stewart ever had, Likewise for Stewart being far better than any other 125 racer he had to face.

We were pretty fortunate to have seen both of them race at all.....

|

12/26/2020 12:49 PM

APLMAN99 wrote:

I don’t know about ’smoked’, but I do agree and believe that Stewart was faster on a 125.

But I definitely think that they would have been relatively close and obviously RC would have been more competition in the class than Stewart ever had, Likewise for Stewart being far better than any other 125 racer he had to face.

I'm glad I was able to see them both, but Stewart all the CD way on a 125. His scrubbing technique, which was new at the time, enabled Stewart to smoke his competition. That and his obvious talent. I think he would have had RC's number.

|

12/26/2020 1:28 PM

Stew changed everything.
And that bike had nothing to do about it.

|

12/26/2020 1:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/28/2020 5:35 AM

Wait a second ... you sure it wasn't one of mine?
Photo
Could've bet that's where you were goin...
Watch all the thumbs down pop up 😉

James was the fastest on a 125. That last year he was on one in the Millville whoops was epic.

|

12/26/2020 1:34 PM

JeepnMike wrote:

Yup, first guy putting a thumper in the main.

Photo

Photo

https://motocrossactionmag.com/supercross-history-the-bike-that-time-forgot/

|

12/26/2020 1:40 PM

RC worked him on big bikes I’m sure he woulda found a way on small bores also

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

12/26/2020 2:03 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

I think for the most part in the latter years because of RC being on the 450 while James was still on the Kx250 two-stroke. That two-stroke although it had (from what I’ve read) a phenomenal engine built by Rick Ash still wasn’t a match for a factory 450. Torque. That’s what I think it came down to for that 05 season

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

12/26/2020 2:10 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

eric513anderson wrote:

I think for the most part in the latter years because of RC being on the 450 while James was still on the Kx250 two-stroke. That two-stroke although it had (from what I’ve read) a phenomenal engine built by Rick Ash still wasn’t a match for a factory 450. Torque. That’s what I think it came down to for that 05 season

Remember Burner saying that KX250 was a hand full and scary to ride.

|

12/26/2020 2:14 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

eric513anderson wrote:

snowy816 wrote:

Remember Burner saying that KX250 was a hand full and scary to ride.

I’ve heard that before too. I remember in a older issue of MXA when Jody had a Pro Circuit built a YZ 250 he said the ported cylinder that Reed ran was the same way. I’d love to ride one just to see how much of a fire breather those bikes were! Those guys in my mind were mere mortals riding those!

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1982 Chevy S10

12/26/2020 3:31 PM

Your last sentence is incorrect just as a note.
The "Bomber" has that distinguished award!

|

12/26/2020 3:37 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

grin

JeepnMike wrote:

Think that was at the king dome.

|

12/26/2020 3:39 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

grin

JeepnMike wrote:

ZOBITO wrote:

Photo

Photo

Who’s this fella?

|

12/26/2020 3:42 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

eric513anderson wrote:

That doesn’t explain 07 when RC was semi retired and still putting it to James.

|

12/26/2020 4:01 PM

APLMAN99 wrote:

I'm glad I was able to see them both, but Stewart all the CD way on a 125. His scrubbing technique, which was new at the time, enabled Stewart to smoke his competition. That and his obvious talent. I think he would have had RC's number.

I definitely think that Stewart was faster, I’m just not sure about the ’smoked’ part. RC was as relentless as any pro racer of any era, and obviously these are hypothetical situations, but from my subjective viewpoint those 2 guys would have just about killed each other if they would have started on 125s at the same time.

I think that James would have won more races, but it wouldn’t have been a cakewalk by any stretch of the imagination.

|

12/26/2020 4:06 PM

I think James would have changed how the world rides dirt bikes no matter what color his bike was at the time...he was a revolutionary! Relative to other factory bikes at the time, His bike was a good factory 125 two stroke...nothing to special about it.

Title should read “The man. the myth. the rider that changed MX riding”.

|

12/26/2020 4:06 PM

“Bike was good, James was great”!
Thanks for posting. Great clip. Was glad to see him race the 125 also.

|

12/26/2020 4:11 PM

APLMAN99 wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:

I definitely think that Stewart was faster, I’m just not sure about the ’smoked’ part. RC was as relentless as any pro racer of any era, and obviously these are hypothetical situations, but from my subjective viewpoint those 2 guys would have just about killed each other if they would have started on 125s at the same time.

I think that James would have won more races, but it wouldn’t have been a cakewalk by any stretch of the imagination.

Ditto

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1982 Chevy S10

12/26/2020 4:17 PM

ktmfun219 wrote:

Your last sentence is incorrect just as a note.
The "Bomber" has that distinguished award!

Not according to the record books. smile

|

12/26/2020 4:19 PM

JeepnMike wrote:

ZOBITO wrote:

Photo

Photo

fullysicmate wrote:

Who’s this fella?

https://vault.racerxonline.com/rider/lance-smail/points

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

12/26/2020 4:35 PM

Excellent video! I kind of wish it has some clips of him riding it. I love hearing stories like that. I bet Roncada was like WTF 😬

|

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. ~ Samuel Johnson

12/26/2020 4:50 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

grin

JeepnMike wrote:

ZOBITO wrote:

Photo

Photo

And I'm thinking his machanic was one of the coolest dudes in the pits and is now a VIP at KTM.

|

12/26/2020 4:51 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

grin

Or the BSA Gold Star, or the Twin Pipe CZ, or the '74 YZ360, or...

|

12/26/2020 4:53 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

grin

Dirty Points wrote:

Or the BSA Gold Star, or the Twin Pipe CZ, or the '74 YZ360, or...

What...no Rickman Metisse?

|

12/26/2020 7:40 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

eric513anderson wrote:

Ricky had race craft, James was WFO

|