The best moto of your life.

Nairb#70
Edited Date/Time 3/16/2020 7:15pm
Wether your old and retired, just getting started or in the prime of your racing career, is there a particular race or moto that stands out in the past as your best?
Maybe holey to checkers win, maybe down in the first turn and a romp through the pack? Maybe a 10th but you lit it up and felt totally dialed? For me I can think of about a dozen that really stand out. But I would have to narrow it down to 4-4 result on my 30th birthday in the 125A class at Walden Playboys back in 1999. Two smooth mistake free moto's on my B-day.
Hope you enjoy! (No more SX sucks, maybe this helps)
|
EvelMX11
Fantasy
1292nd
3/13/2020 7:44pm
2000 Unadilla Am National. Open Expert on my Husky 250. Gnarly track. Overheard Bobby Kiniry saying "Shepherd is fucking fast today." Day ended with Ellington running over me just before the finish line in the last moto while I was in the top ten. Practice was fun trying to chase Paul Carpenter on the DKNY Fast by Ferracci Husky. Unadilla Am days were always fun. Oh, and I beat Pastrana there in 94 in Junior Mini. Muddy, muddy, muddy day.
DJB
3/13/2020 7:48pm
I was racing a 77 RM125 in 78’ Rio Bravo GNC regional qualifier and pulled a Holeshot in a driving rainstorm. Had a 5.25 X 18 rear tire for mud and worked perfectly. Led a few laps and finished 3rd. Fouled plug on start of second moto but man I’ll never forget that 1st moto. That was my best ride. My traveling buddy got 4th or 5th overall and got a 5 ft tall trophy. At least that’s how I remember it over 40 years ago.....
Nairb#70
3/13/2020 8:02pm
Off Road, desert, cross country, GNCC ,etc feel free to join in too.
crowe176
3/13/2020 8:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2020 8:08pm
Dutch sport Park LLQ B class. Crashed in a turn and worked my way into a qualifying position because a heavy metaler with a pony tail was in front of me and there was no way I was getting beat by a dude with a fuckin pony tail. Even pulled a tear off in the air after I passed him. I was on it that day.

The Shop

Nairb#70
3/13/2020 8:10pm
crowe176 wrote:
Dutch sport Park LLQ B class. Crashed in a turn and worked my way into a qualifying position because a heavy metaler with a pony tail...
Dutch sport Park LLQ B class. Crashed in a turn and worked my way into a qualifying position because a heavy metaler with a pony tail was in front of me and there was no way I was getting beat by a dude with a fuckin pony tail. Even pulled a tear off in the air after I passed him. I was on it that day.
Definitely can't let a hair farmer beat ya!Grinning
crowe176
3/13/2020 8:11pm
crowe176 wrote:
Dutch sport Park LLQ B class. Crashed in a turn and worked my way into a qualifying position because a heavy metaler with a pony tail...
Nairb#70 wrote:
Definitely can't let a hair farmer beat ya!Grinning
Lmao
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
3/13/2020 8:46pm
In August 1973, as a 15yo c class 100 rider, scored first (yeah. That first) CR125M Elsinore to hit North Texas (was easier than you might think). Picked it up on Wed, spun a few laps next day, entered Sunday. Of course the bike drew a lot of interest in the pits and in practice. Go to line scared to death. Felt like I had the future of Honda MX on my shoulders (right. I was a kid). Ridiculous, but how I felt. Knew a few of the guys on the line, but it was a full gate. Looked up to most of them as faster and more experienced. Most intimidating race every. Rubber band start. Everything - bike, class, expectations - was unfamiliar. Rubber band snaps, and I go. And I have this huge holeshot. I mean huge. Couldn't believe it. Brake and hit the first turn and crank the throttle and BWAH, WAH cough wah cough silence... It died. Panic. FAHQ!! I forgot to turn the gas on. FAHQ! Refired. Last place. 28th.

I don't remember much about the rest of it except that I was on a mission to move as far up as I could. Five lap C class. Not much time. Just passed everyone I could see. Get by one and look for the next one. Familiar to anyone on this board. Little over a lap left and I clear last guy I could see. Look all around up track and can't see anyone else. Backed it down a little and finished. convinced I'd won. People were giving me high fives on way back to pits. Wasn't until I went up to the board later and saw I only got 3rd. I was pissed. Wound up 2nd OA on the day. But I think I helped Honda sell a few of the band new Elsies that day.

I've raced a lot of motos since then, but that one stands out. Learned a lot about everything in that 10-15 minutes.
ledger
3/13/2020 9:00pm
I was getting blasted by roost from Hannah and Marty Smith, but they crashed on the last lap and I took the Win...then I woke up from the dream, and was laughing. I think that dream was in 1977 or 78, but it's still as vivid today as it was back then, and I still smile about it. In real life...I pulled two holeshots and had my doors blown off by Billy Liles.
BigBoreFan58
3/13/2020 9:03pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2020 9:05pm
Best moto, Lake Whitney Good Time National, Mid 80s, Open B. I killed em in the second moto. You hear pros talking about being in the zone, I was in the zone that moto. It's like being in slow motion, you can put the bike anywhere you want, pull off any line, it's a great feeling.

Offroad, OCCRA event in western OK, 1994, really fast open course, I was on a KX-500, riding the Intermediate class. I had passed all the Pros except two. Had them beat on adjusted time and got front flat. Another one of those in the zone times. This ride was even better then the Whitney ride. This was my favorite course due to it being so fast and I was on the right bike.

AJ565
3/13/2020 9:30pm
Summer 2000 with my 2000 KTM 250sx. That bike never ran right from the day I got it. Anyways the one day it did run amazing I got the hole shot in 250B and battled the entire moto with another guy and held out for the win. Start of the second moto on the line the bike started to sound like it was loading up. Gate dropped, clutch dropped, locked up half way over the gate. I can’t remember the name of the track, I want to say it was grumpy valley back when district 11 was hoppin.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/13/2020 9:58pm
I have a few, but I’ll go with a more recent one. Last September I raced with OTHG for the first time in 30+ novice. Holeshot in both motos and my first race in 3 years. Second moto got the holeshot and led for a while. Completely out of shape and only rode 5 times all year, 3 times at a track. 3 laps to go I get passed, so I try to stay with the guy. We yoyo’d a bit and in the last lap I was the closest I had been since he passed me. Four corners to go we caught a lapper that caused the leader to switch up his line. He missed screwed up and went over the inside rut. My RMZ stuck right in the inside and I passed him. Going into the next corner I go inside and he tries going out. He tapped my rear tire and went down. I went 2-1 for the overall. We met off the track and we were both completely spent, but shook hands and laughed about how fun it was.

My wife, kids, parents, sister and friends were there which made it even better.
Ozy
3/13/2020 10:03pm
Saddleback in the 1970's used to run two 45 minute moto races on Saturdays using the main track. 1976 I raced 125 pro. went 1-1 on the day
Rawly
3/13/2020 10:20pm
1982 lined up next to Johnny O for the Dunes Town Grand Prix team race. His partner was Donnie Hansen and mine was Rick Johnson, not the bad boy , but the Too Tech guy. Talking about being star struck. Had seen Johnny at Indian Dunes before , but never lined up with him. Actually pulled the hole shot and led for a 1/8 - 1/4 lap until Johnny passed me. His bike must have not started on the first kick. Awesome course that used all of the tracks and the hills across the river . Ended up winning the 250 intermediate class. Has to be my favorite trophy because of these memories. Was cool waiting around with Johnny while our teammates were out doing their laps.
Sweetd31
3/13/2020 11:18pm
Circa early 2000, traveled from Albuquerque to Houston with a bike in the back to race and visit family. It poured rained for days straight, and on the night of the race, my dad looked at me and said "son, do you still want to race"? I looked back at him and said, "We didn't just drag a dirtbike a 1,000 miles to not race". Highlands MX, my entire family showed up, and most had never seen me race. Having never rode a Texas track, let alone gumbo soup mud, 85cc 12-15, I absolutely sent it lap after lap, jumps were slick as hell, but I just held her wide open. Nearly passed the whole field, had a slide out downsiding a little camelback single. Got up, was catching 2nd and 1st, and boom, clutch smoke on the third lap, locked up on me, my night was done. Everyone was super happy that night.
davermz450
3/14/2020 12:03am
The best "moto" for me wasnt an actual race but more amazing moments camping/riding out in the desert in southern CA. A 70 degree, partly cloudy, wind free day with your buddies in the desert is nirvana.

Another time that stands out was a time when I woke up at 5am and went for a walk in thick fog in glamis. The fog burned off by 7 am and no one else in the camo got to see it.
just James
3/14/2020 1:55am
AJ565 wrote:
Summer 2000 with my 2000 KTM 250sx. That bike never ran right from the day I got it. Anyways the one day it did run amazing...
Summer 2000 with my 2000 KTM 250sx. That bike never ran right from the day I got it. Anyways the one day it did run amazing I got the hole shot in 250B and battled the entire moto with another guy and held out for the win. Start of the second moto on the line the bike started to sound like it was loading up. Gate dropped, clutch dropped, locked up half way over the gate. I can’t remember the name of the track, I want to say it was grumpy valley back when district 11 was hoppin.
I bought one of those brand new. The magazines said it was the slowest bike that year, but I found that if you kept it in the mid range, it was a holeshot monster. Of course I was slow, but it definitely wasn't the bike's fault.
One day there were only 3 of us that signed up for the slow geezer class. Two of us were really close in speed (or lack thereof), and one guy who was worlds faster than me. In the first moto the fast dude took off and won by about a half a lap, while I battled with the other slow guy who just beat me in the end so I ended up in last place. Second moto the fast dude once again left us for dead while I battled with the other slow guy, finally beating him in the end. I had no clue that the fast dude had crashed out of the race, so in the end I took first place with a 3-1, which beat a 1-dnf, and a 2-2.😀
philG
3/14/2020 3:16am
I have a few over the years … but the most recent one, that's a story.

Buddy from the UK , who I raced with as a kid, who moved to the US in 2000, has been bugging me to come to the US to ride MX Rewind, for a few years but it always clashed with a Supermoto race in Germany , that we do, but last year they were a week apart.. so we pulled the pin, drove our RV to South West Germany, on the Thursday night, arrived Friday , raced a cool street race , and left at 4pm to catch the boat home.

Arrived back in the UK at 11pm, home for 2am Monday, and back to the Airport for Lunchtime to catch a flight to Newark.

Week in NYC, and arrive at Unadilla on the Thursday night.

Ride the grass track Friday on my Buddy's sweet KX500, and run 3 Moto's Saturday, with 3 to follow on Sunday,

2 moto's down on Sunday, I go to the line in the open C with a 2nd from Moto 1 , and get a bad start and get buried mid pack. Look over my shoulder going in to turn 3 to see my son pinned on his 125 ride, and we jump into the Gravity Cavity together.. I make some passes early and get to 3rd with the leader away, so chase the guy for second, and we have some bar to bar fun, and by the end of lap 2 I get him and in the process , halve the gap to the front guy who takes a long look over after the waves, but doesn't see me cos I am already in the turn, By the time we get to the end of the lap and get the white flag , I am sure I am going to catch him, and sure enough , by the time we get to the drop off where Stew landed on RC its down to 5 lengths, and I am on him at the top of the hill.. BUT this guy is pulling the Skyshot, and here I am , a 54 year old , on a borrowed bike , doing my first race of the year on dirt, having to pull the pin for the win.

He still doesn't know I am there , but as we drop down to the Skyshot , there is a lapper , in the second line, so I have to follow him and bottle it, he sails over , and I flat land the top, but he isn't on the gas down the hill, so I catch him back up , and rail round the outside, over the jump, and as we go up horsepower hill I am catching him fast, we come over the top, and as we don't do the Screw U , its a right kink , and then left to the flag.

He realises I am there and moves over to block , so I have to back off , so I switch sides, and try to square him off.. he beats me by half a wheel.

For me , this is the day I nearly won the Overall at Unadilla, for my son, its the day we went all the way to the middle of nowhere to get beaten by a guy on a beater bike wearing a 20 year old helmet with sunglasses.

downard254
3/14/2020 3:22am
Summer of 1984, 250B class my first moto win at Muskingum Valley MX in Zanesville, Ohio. What made it extra special was on the starting gate my A class friends noticed my front tire was flat so they ran back to the truck, grabbed the buddy tank and put as much air into the tire as it would hold just before the gate drop. I pulled the holey and led the whole thing. My friends where cheering me on along side the track. I was so pumped and nervous. I remember it like it was yesterday. God I love motocross.
Looby321
3/14/2020 4:42am
philG wrote:
I have a few over the years … but the most recent one, that's a story. Buddy from the UK , who I raced with as...
I have a few over the years … but the most recent one, that's a story.

Buddy from the UK , who I raced with as a kid, who moved to the US in 2000, has been bugging me to come to the US to ride MX Rewind, for a few years but it always clashed with a Supermoto race in Germany , that we do, but last year they were a week apart.. so we pulled the pin, drove our RV to South West Germany, on the Thursday night, arrived Friday , raced a cool street race , and left at 4pm to catch the boat home.

Arrived back in the UK at 11pm, home for 2am Monday, and back to the Airport for Lunchtime to catch a flight to Newark.

Week in NYC, and arrive at Unadilla on the Thursday night.

Ride the grass track Friday on my Buddy's sweet KX500, and run 3 Moto's Saturday, with 3 to follow on Sunday,

2 moto's down on Sunday, I go to the line in the open C with a 2nd from Moto 1 , and get a bad start and get buried mid pack. Look over my shoulder going in to turn 3 to see my son pinned on his 125 ride, and we jump into the Gravity Cavity together.. I make some passes early and get to 3rd with the leader away, so chase the guy for second, and we have some bar to bar fun, and by the end of lap 2 I get him and in the process , halve the gap to the front guy who takes a long look over after the waves, but doesn't see me cos I am already in the turn, By the time we get to the end of the lap and get the white flag , I am sure I am going to catch him, and sure enough , by the time we get to the drop off where Stew landed on RC its down to 5 lengths, and I am on him at the top of the hill.. BUT this guy is pulling the Skyshot, and here I am , a 54 year old , on a borrowed bike , doing my first race of the year on dirt, having to pull the pin for the win.

He still doesn't know I am there , but as we drop down to the Skyshot , there is a lapper , in the second line, so I have to follow him and bottle it, he sails over , and I flat land the top, but he isn't on the gas down the hill, so I catch him back up , and rail round the outside, over the jump, and as we go up horsepower hill I am catching him fast, we come over the top, and as we don't do the Screw U , its a right kink , and then left to the flag.

He realises I am there and moves over to block , so I have to back off , so I switch sides, and try to square him off.. he beats me by half a wheel.

For me , this is the day I nearly won the Overall at Unadilla, for my son, its the day we went all the way to the middle of nowhere to get beaten by a guy on a beater bike wearing a 20 year old helmet with sunglasses.

How dare you call my old stomping grounds “middle of nowhere” Laughing
KMC440
3/14/2020 4:47am
It's ..."middle of fucking nowhere"

fixed it. Wink
MX114
3/14/2020 5:18am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2020 5:35am
EvelMX11 wrote:
2000 Unadilla Am National. Open Expert on my Husky 250. Gnarly track. Overheard Bobby Kiniry saying "Shepherd is fucking fast today." Day ended with Ellington running...
2000 Unadilla Am National. Open Expert on my Husky 250. Gnarly track. Overheard Bobby Kiniry saying "Shepherd is fucking fast today." Day ended with Ellington running over me just before the finish line in the last moto while I was in the top ten. Practice was fun trying to chase Paul Carpenter on the DKNY Fast by Ferracci Husky. Unadilla Am days were always fun. Oh, and I beat Pastrana there in 94 in Junior Mini. Muddy, muddy, muddy day.
I was on the line with you in 94 junior mini at dilla and I was there in 2000 but in the 125B class and took 3rd that year I believe which at the time was one of my best races ever cause there was a ton of local fast kids back then. And I’ve got too many stories with all three of those NY guys you mentioned. Paul, Jack carpenter and Bobby And me were all close friends. Jack and me were super tight I’d spend weeks at a time at his house growing up Riding with him and Paulie. As kids Id go to LL every year with those guys to just hang out and help when I could and watch cause I’d miss qualifying every year it seemed by just a few spots. It was hard. You had Ryan mills, Shane Barthof, Charles Ellis, jack and Paul, Bobby, Mitch Dougherty, Jeremy cook, Casey Clark, the veracka brothers, and ton more at the Northeast regionals and I was always in that very next group of kids. In 2001 I drove Bobby’s van down with his dad terry To Loretta’s. Bobby was at Ponca with FMF for the week and me and terry made the trip from Syracuse together straight to LL to meet Bobby there and I was the bike washer and help around the pits for the week. That was quite a trip and didn’t go as planned. Bob shoulda won at least one title that year. Suzuki gave Bobby a brand new 125 at the end of the week tho at it was his last ever mini race. We got home and rode everyday On our 125’s for like two weeks in a row bob and me. I just got my license and I’d pick him up and go ride at this little track on skaneateles lake. Good times! And joe Ellington is the man! Good dude and have had allot fun partying w that dude over the years. He’s good shit
MX114
3/14/2020 5:33am
94 at hurricane hills 7-11 class trying to holeshot TP199 and Jeremy cook but I was short in size and talent. Ate shit one second after this photo

robkinuk
3/14/2020 5:48am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2020 4:00pm
Winning the Yorkshire Grand National in 1978, beating lots of top rider and got presented with the original trophy, a massive silver trophy. Past winners plaques on base read like a who's who
of Britain's top riders.
Also won a couple more big events at Hutton Conyers track nr Ripon.
Top photographer the late James Moorhouse captured me in action.
wtnotch
3/14/2020 6:18am
My first race ever, which was as a 39 yo vet ... my cousin and I raced the Vet class at Baylands on a Friday night. There was a low turnout and we were the only 2 ppl in the class. My cousin won the first moto. I won the second. Because of the low turnout, there was only one trophy given out, so my cousin went home empty handed. I can’t even count the number of times that I have reminded him that I beat him and won the class ... and the 1st place trophy.
philG
3/14/2020 6:25am
Looby321 wrote:
How dare you call my old stomping grounds “middle of nowhere” Laughing
We travel a lot in Europe , but even the old East Germany is nothing compared to 'Upstate New York'

28 mile round trip to find a bottle of Vodka.

Every other house has a snowmobile for sale

And my absolute favourite, sitting in the pits after dark, behind the start gate , backed up to I8, listening to the traffic go by, to suddenly hear a horse and buggy going flat out , and you cant even see the thing , its that dark.

bayodome
Fantasy
4282nd
3/14/2020 6:30am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2020 6:31am
2010 Loretta Lynn's National in the last +30 B/C. I'd sucked all week long and had crashed in both of the first two motos. This was the year that David Jones won on his 125. I had the only other small bore in the class (to my knowledge) with an awesome KTM 250SX-F that had the full KTM Factory Services treatment. I had that bike for the year when I was working at TWMX and wrote a story on my pathetic LL's performance.

Moto 1 was going great. I had a terrible start and got gobbled up by the 450s. Probably rounded the first turn in 35th at best and by lap 3 had worked my way up to 15th. Then I took a line that somehow went off the track and straight into a hay bale...and that was all she wrote.

Pretty sure I had heat stroke in Moto 2. The only memory I have of that race was crashing over a little bump and landing, again, on a hay bale. Even the next day, that was the only thing I could recall from the race.

Finally in the last moto, I got my shit together. Once again started somewhere in the 30s, then, took my time and made it up to 11th at the finish, with 10th just in sight. I really wanted to able to chill under those awnings at the end of the race, but at least I didn't crash.

Definitely not my best moto, but one that I'm proud of.
3/14/2020 9:34am
Great thread idea with all the anger/sadness flowing lately...

I have a few favorites.... Not my "best" motos as far as finishes.....but the experiences that have lasted a lifetime.

LA Coliseum "Last Superbowl of Motocross" Amateur SX in 82
San Diego Jack Murphy (Qualcomm) Amateur SX in 83....
Anaheim Amateur SX in 84

crowe176
3/14/2020 10:52am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2020 10:54am
1990, I raced a bald tire Yamaha Blaster at a fair race in northern Michigan once. Wore a borrowed snowmobile helmet and a Vision Street Wear shirt and hucked a single to table to the win. Lots of bummed good ole boys with fancy 250R’s didn’t like getting beat by the skater douche

Post a reply to: The best moto of your life.

The Latest