The austrilians...

RCB33
Fantasy
139th
Edited Date/Time 7/23/2015 12:20am
Was watching a race on YouTube from a few years back when Reed went over there, and it seemed that the top austrilians were just as, if not faster, than Reed, my question is, for the people that know more about the austrilian series and their riders. Where do the top racers in austrilia rank compared to our current American riders? Top 5? Top 10? Top 20? Hope to here some answers,thanks
|
Crush
7/19/2015 5:56pm
Reardon and Moss have both podiumed a US race or two, but it's getting it done overseas that is hard–especially consistently... They're fast for sure. Waters and Ferris not long ago were great at home and have had fantastic results internationally since leaving. That is where Reed, McFarlane and Byrne have been that generation of standouts, they did amazing for so long.
h&m_cycle
7/19/2015 5:59pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2015 5:59pm
Where's that place at? Nevermind...
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
7/19/2015 6:20pm
How far back were you watching a race from? I don't think anybody has really been that close to Reed when he made the trip back here. Reardon wasn't far off in his MX championship year when Chad came back for a one off race even though he hadn't raced outdoors for a few years (during his San Manuel SX only days).

A couple have put it to him on occasion in Super X, but youre really only talking the odd gate drop here and there, he basically smoked everyone consistently.

These days our best tend to look towards the GP's more than the US for some reason. I probably see the local scene as similar to Canada, the best guys are world class speed in there own backyard, the hard part is getting them to convert it to an international series.

There isn't really anybody who has hit seniors that you can look for to replicate the Reed, Byrne, Mcfarlane results. Maybe someone like Hunter Lawrence who just finished 3rd at the junior worlds could be the next big hope.
RCB33
Fantasy
139th
7/19/2015 6:26pm
haydos25 wrote:
How far back were you watching a race from? I don't think anybody has really been that close to Reed when he made the trip back...
How far back were you watching a race from? I don't think anybody has really been that close to Reed when he made the trip back here. Reardon wasn't far off in his MX championship year when Chad came back for a one off race even though he hadn't raced outdoors for a few years (during his San Manuel SX only days).

A couple have put it to him on occasion in Super X, but youre really only talking the odd gate drop here and there, he basically smoked everyone consistently.

These days our best tend to look towards the GP's more than the US for some reason. I probably see the local scene as similar to Canada, the best guys are world class speed in there own backyard, the hard part is getting them to convert it to an international series.

There isn't really anybody who has hit seniors that you can look for to replicate the Reed, Byrne, Mcfarlane results. Maybe someone like Hunter Lawrence who just finished 3rd at the junior worlds could be the next big hope.
Believe it was the first SX round in '11 if that helps, may have just been that one race that they were staying with him though...

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
54th
7/19/2015 6:30pm
I've heard of Australians and Australia, but not Austilians and Austrilia.
RCB33
Fantasy
139th
7/19/2015 7:13pm
I did not see that, thanks...
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
7/19/2015 7:36pm
haydos25 wrote:
How far back were you watching a race from? I don't think anybody has really been that close to Reed when he made the trip back...

both Lawrence brothers have big futures IMO, Hunters little brother Jet won the world 65's last year (which for some reason was a european championship this year)

great family, hopefully we get to see them race here is NZ a bit as well, Hunter came over and did 2 weeks with Josh Coppins before heading to the worlds,
7/19/2015 7:56pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2015 7:59pm
Reed was with his wife before his balls dropped.

The rest are easily distracted later in their teenager yrs when they need to knuckle down the most. Aussie Women are pretty hot. Eventually, MX comes 2nd for about 10 yrs or so.

"Behind every great man, there is a great Woman" Wink .

Lets also remember Reed's cousin. Ando #100. He won an overall outdoors. Sheeesh! What's a bloke have to do to get some recognition lol.
bvm111
7/19/2015 8:26pm
h&m_cycle wrote:
it somewhere over the rainbow in a galaxy far far away!!!! Tongue
JB479
7/19/2015 10:55pm
haydos25 wrote:

Maybe not replicate Reed but i think Ward,Beaton,Crawford and Dobson have a good shot at making a name for themselves overseas. Even Mastin who's doing well in America as a amateur
VET176
7/19/2015 10:57pm
h&m_cycle wrote:
bvm111 wrote:
it somewhere over the rainbow in a galaxy far far away!!!! Tongue
..just west of New Zillind.
7/19/2015 11:04pm
Shame Anthony Gobert went to road bikes instead of AMA supercross series, he was untouchable.
7/19/2015 11:19pm
Shame Anthony Gobert went to road bikes instead of AMA supercross series, he was untouchable.
scott_nz wrote:
shame he went nuts on drugs, and turned into the biggest piece of shit, he had it all, factory rides, talent to burn, and fucked it...
shame he went nuts on drugs, and turned into the biggest piece of shit, he had it all, factory rides, talent to burn, and fucked it all up majorly,

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2008/may/may1608anthonygobertsarrest…
Yes, fkin idiot. I seen him on the news a couple of years ago in court for stealing an old womans handbag from a supermarket checkout. He turned up to court in a heavily faded black monster energy shirt, camo pants, and doc marten boots. Which were the exact same clothes he was wearing in the quality cctv footage, and he straight up denied it was him.
7/20/2015 1:36am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2015 1:38am
scott_nz wrote:
shame he went nuts on drugs, and turned into the biggest piece of shit, he had it all, factory rides, talent to burn, and fucked it...
shame he went nuts on drugs, and turned into the biggest piece of shit, he had it all, factory rides, talent to burn, and fucked it all up majorly,

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2008/may/may1608anthonygobertsarrest…
Yes, fkin idiot. I seen him on the news a couple of years ago in court for stealing an old womans handbag from a supermarket checkout...
Yes, fkin idiot. I seen him on the news a couple of years ago in court for stealing an old womans handbag from a supermarket checkout. He turned up to court in a heavily faded black monster energy shirt, camo pants, and doc marten boots. Which were the exact same clothes he was wearing in the quality cctv footage, and he straight up denied it was him.
I was a huge Gobert Fan. Still got my "Go Show" hat. Last time he was at PI he was busted banging up in the toilet.

Huge shame!

Remember the WSB double at the Island on a 10yr old, out dated ZXR750. EPIC!!

aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
7/20/2015 1:53am
Out of all of the Aussies have made is overseas and raced consistently up the front or near the front, they all pretty much came from the same generation of riders and for the most part left Australia at a young age.

Reed, Metty, Byrne and McFarlane.

The Two Aussies currently racing in the MXGP left reasonably young and did not wait until they had a Aussie title under their belt, and both spent minimal time in the MX2 class and MXD class over hear.

Mellross had a crack at making it via the Amature ranks in the U.S but was a little unlucky to get injured at his final year at Loretta's though think he still finished 4th in the 450 class after breaking his shoulder in practice or qualifying and had to sit out the 250 class.

He is back now doing with his families support and is pretty consistently inside the top 20 in every moto.

Pretty much the same with Jackson Richardson.

Egan Mastin who won our under 19 Championship is going the American amature path this year, hopefully that works for him, another fast talented rider.

Out of the Aussies currently racing our series, I know Gibbs is planning on doing some MXGP races later this year, I think he will adapt quickly and it will be interesting to see where his pace is compared to Waters and Ferris.

Some good young talent here in Aus, but will be a matter of who can find a way to get out of Australian while they are young and adpat their speed to racing the GP or American circuits at a young age.

Dobson is only 18 and is showing glimpses of speed where he can run with the front runners in MX1, if he could move consistently to the front of the field next year then head O/S by the year after he might have a chance of doing great things.

The kid who has one our past four rounds of the Nats in the MX2 class Caleb Ward, would be great to see him head to the MXGP ranks ASAP, awesome style and natural speed.

But I think us Aussies have to accept that another Reed could be awhile away, but hopefully some can match the results of McFarlane, Byrne and Metty, all great riders who where right at the pointy end of any series they contested overseas.
7/20/2015 1:58am
JFYI. Byrne is a Sheep tampering Kiwi.
VET176
7/20/2015 2:15am
#991 wrote:
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
7/20/2015 2:33am
aaryn #234 wrote:
Out of all of the Aussies have made is overseas and raced consistently up the front or near the front, they all pretty much came from...
Out of all of the Aussies have made is overseas and raced consistently up the front or near the front, they all pretty much came from the same generation of riders and for the most part left Australia at a young age.

Reed, Metty, Byrne and McFarlane.

The Two Aussies currently racing in the MXGP left reasonably young and did not wait until they had a Aussie title under their belt, and both spent minimal time in the MX2 class and MXD class over hear.

Mellross had a crack at making it via the Amature ranks in the U.S but was a little unlucky to get injured at his final year at Loretta's though think he still finished 4th in the 450 class after breaking his shoulder in practice or qualifying and had to sit out the 250 class.

He is back now doing with his families support and is pretty consistently inside the top 20 in every moto.

Pretty much the same with Jackson Richardson.

Egan Mastin who won our under 19 Championship is going the American amature path this year, hopefully that works for him, another fast talented rider.

Out of the Aussies currently racing our series, I know Gibbs is planning on doing some MXGP races later this year, I think he will adapt quickly and it will be interesting to see where his pace is compared to Waters and Ferris.

Some good young talent here in Aus, but will be a matter of who can find a way to get out of Australian while they are young and adpat their speed to racing the GP or American circuits at a young age.

Dobson is only 18 and is showing glimpses of speed where he can run with the front runners in MX1, if he could move consistently to the front of the field next year then head O/S by the year after he might have a chance of doing great things.

The kid who has one our past four rounds of the Nats in the MX2 class Caleb Ward, would be great to see him head to the MXGP ranks ASAP, awesome style and natural speed.

But I think us Aussies have to accept that another Reed could be awhile away, but hopefully some can match the results of McFarlane, Byrne and Metty, all great riders who where right at the pointy end of any series they contested overseas.
I think you really do a disservice not mentioning Jeff Leisk, he was the first guy from down under that won races at the highest level, factory rider in both the US and Europe,
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
7/20/2015 2:34am
#991 wrote:
first I have hard that, you sure?

Reed raced a fair bit in NZ at a young age, since you can race seniors at 15 here, (Dobson came here for a month before his 16th birthday as well)
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
7/20/2015 2:36am
for the aussies on here, do you think keeping guys in under 19s for a year or 2 is holding them back? i mean Reed went to the main glass at 16, (250 2t's at the time) and guys like Bryne and Mcfarlane were lites champs by 18,
7/20/2015 3:06am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2015 3:10am
#991 wrote:
scott_nz wrote:
first I have hard that, you sure? Reed raced a fair bit in NZ at a young age, since you can race seniors at 15 here...

Reed raced a fair bit in NZ at a young age, since you can race seniors at 15 here, (Dobson came here for a month before his 16th birthday as well)
I am beginning to wonder Laughing . Pretty sure he is. I was watching the old National Thumper X series and one of the commentators mentioned it. Was along time ago, I may have him mixed up with someone else.
Although. It wouldn't be unlike Aussies to have claimed him as one of our own. Ie, Russel Crowe, Mel Gibson (not sure if we still claim Mel these days lol,).

He rode a DRZ400 in the Thumper Nats didn't he?

BTW. always been a Byrne-er fan.
VET176
7/20/2015 3:18am
#991 wrote:
scott_nz wrote:
first I have hard that, you sure? Reed raced a fair bit in NZ at a young age, since you can race seniors at 15 here...

#991 wrote:
I am beginning to wonder :laugh: . Pretty sure he is. I was watching the old National Thumper X series and one of the commentators mentioned...
I am beginning to wonder Laughing . Pretty sure he is. I was watching the old National Thumper X series and one of the commentators mentioned it. Was along time ago, I may have him mixed up with someone else.
Although. It wouldn't be unlike Aussies to have claimed him as one of our own. Ie, Russel Crowe, Mel Gibson (not sure if we still claim Mel these days lol,).

He's a banana bender.

7/20/2015 3:31am
scott_nz wrote:

#991 wrote:
I am beginning to wonder :laugh: . Pretty sure he is. I was watching the old National Thumper X series and one of the commentators mentioned...

VET176 wrote:
He's a banana bender.

I know that. But was he born there?
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
7/20/2015 4:28am
scott_nz wrote:
I think you really do a disservice not mentioning Jeff Leisk, he was the first guy from down under that won races at the highest level...
I think you really do a disservice not mentioning Jeff Leisk, he was the first guy from down under that won races at the highest level, factory rider in both the US and Europe,
I was going to mention Jeff Leisk in that equation, but was more so sticking to what I have seen myself over the past 10-15 years.

I am a huge fan of Jeff, but most my memories of Jeff are from when I was a wee tacker and wihle I was lucky enough to see him every now and then race in person in Australian, most of his international racing I have only just recently watched on youtube.

No doubt he was the first rider to make it big time from Australia and a legend of the sport here in Aus and has helped r a handful of riders to take some big opportunites overseas and continues to do so.
Fresh
Fantasy
3312th
7/20/2015 4:39am
Got to remember the style of racing and the tracks are completely in Australia to the US or the GP circuits, finding support is one thing, but actually adapting to the racing is a completely different obstacle...
snape99
7/20/2015 5:18am
Under 19 yo class is seriously holding back our young guys here in Australia. You should be made to ride mx2 lites class at 16. It never hurt any of the older generations going straight up against the older guys
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
7/20/2015 5:20am
scott_nz wrote:
for the aussies on here, do you think keeping guys in under 19s for a year or 2 is holding them back? i mean Reed went...
for the aussies on here, do you think keeping guys in under 19s for a year or 2 is holding them back? i mean Reed went to the main glass at 16, (250 2t's at the time) and guys like Bryne and Mcfarlane were lites champs by 18,
For the most part yes.

I don't see the point in a MXD class that runs all 10 rounds of the nationals. How is it a development class if it cost you just as much to go racing as it would to line up in the MX2 class and get yourself up to speed with the riders you are going to have to race anyway.

Back when it was 4-5 rounds max I could see how it could be a good thing, let the riders get their feet wet at a few rounds and get used to the national format, but even then it would be better as a under 16 class before the riders actually hit the senior ranks.

It was good to see a big group of the front runners from last year step straight up after one year.
7/20/2015 7:07am
You guys are forgetting my bud CG60.
2012 65cc World Champion
2014 Mini O's Supercross Supermini 2 Winner
His also a multi-time national champion. Kids got amazing style and talent, can just tell his got great potential. He debuted in the EMX125 class this year but unfortunately it went badly wrong.

Post a reply to: The austrilians...

The Latest