The Roczen Rundown: Part 2

Related:
Create New Tag

9/21/2017 10:02 AM

Here's the latest from Team Honda...

As Ken Roczen accelerates his rehabilitation process, his fans’ appetite for information has increased, and we at Team Honda HRC are doing what we can to keep people abreast of developments. Last month we posted our first in a series of interviews with the German, and we clicked on our recorder again on Wednesday at Glen Helen, where Roczen was riding his factory CRF450R. Here’s what he had to say:

You recently spent some time in Utah, doing some riding and even exploring a few of the National Parks. Can you tell us about your trip?

Yeah, I went to St. George, Utah, a few weeks back, and it was a total blast. I did get to do some riding on some fun trails and sand dunes around there, but we were mainly there to do some hiking and exploring in the side-by-sides. We hiked The Subway in Zion, which was about a 15-mile hike that took all day. We were swimming through water, climbing down rocks, and rappelling, so that was awesome. The next day, we took the scenic way up to Moab and stopped at Bryce Canyon. Once we got to Moab, that’s where I got to use our new Honda Pioneer 1000 LE, which was such a blast. We were like rock-crawling through stuff and there was one gnarly section that everyone went around, but I wanted to go up it. I had the craziest adrenaline rush because it was pretty intense, but we made it [laughs]. Since we were gone for 10 days I was able to squeeze in a few days of riding. Like I said, we did some trails and also went to Mesquite MX, which wasn’t too far and was just a good opportunity to get some time in. I had a stock 2017 CRF450R, but it was perfectly fine for what I was doing. Right now at this stage, even though I’m doing really well, I can’t afford to be gone that long and not touch a bike.

Last time we spoke, you were getting ready to start use a brace that would help increase flexibility in your wrist and elbow. How has that been going?

My wrist and elbow are doing pretty good. The braces aren’t necessarily the most fun thing to wear, but other than having my therapist with me always, I’m doing everything that I can to get more mobility. It’s a little bit harder for me to tell a huge difference because I’m working hard every day, but other people see when I’ve made a step forward. I’m at the point now where my elbow isn’t a problem at all, riding-wise. I still have stiffness in my wrist, but at the same time it’s healed, so that’s good. I just need to keep working on the range of motion. I’ve also started wearing a wrist brace while riding, which has helped me out big-time because it has given me a little more confidence while also allowing me to relax my wrist more, if that makes sense.

You’ve obviously been released to jump, so how are things progressing with riding?

I’ve been very satisfied with my riding the last three weeks and definitely feel like I’ve made the biggest steps forward during this timeframe. Before that, I was riding but just getting back into the swing of things, so you couldn’t really call it training; it was more just sitting on the bike. Lately it’s been full speed ahead. I’m still not 100%, but I’m making my way around pretty good and am finally able to get in some motos.

Gauging yourself, how close to your normal speed do you think you are right now?

Even when you’re healthy and haven’t had injuries but you take some time off, you’re not going to be 100% race-ready right when you jump back on a bike. It’s tough to say right now where I’m at because I’ve just recently been able to ride more frequently and comfortably, but I’m definitely happy with how I’m progressing. All I know is that I’m going to be 100% ready when I show up to Anaheim 1. That’s what I’m working toward, and that’s what I’ve put in my head.

You’re out here in California doing a couple days of testing with the team. What are you working on, and how is it going?

Tuesday was a very special day for me. It was my first day back with the team practicing and testing since before my crash, and it really felt like nothing ever happened. For eight months, I’ve been sitting on the sidelines, hanging out watching everyone work and ride—feeling a little useless honestly—but that all changed yesterday. I’ve been having a blast. [Wednesday] was the second day of testing and we just worked on some suspension settings to get me more comfortable. I’ve always had a great feeling for the bike, and not that I was afraid of losing that, but I knew I was going to have to familiarize myself again with what does what on the bike when making adjustments. It came back quick though, especially with the team’s help, and I think we made good progress.

What are your goals and plans for the next few weeks? Is there any chance your fans will see you race at Monster Energy Cup?

No, I’m not racing Monster Cup. Even though I want to race because I miss it, I feel like it would be the wrong choice. I like to go racing when I’m fully ready, and I don’t want to step out of my comfort zone. It’s too early to start thinking about racing, especially for this race. I’d rather put in the time I need riding because Anaheim is when it really matters. Over the next few weeks, I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing and getting in as much outdoor riding as possible to continue to build my strength and finesse on the bike before switching to supercross mid-October.

|

9/21/2017 10:08 AM

Good to hear he's sticking to a plan . Sounds pretty level headed and sensible.

|

9/21/2017 10:12 AM

Sounds like an intelligent game plan (2018 SX Champ?)

|

It aint nothing but a little bit of this and a little bit of Braaaap!!!

9/21/2017 10:23 AM

good read,thanks

|

9/21/2017 10:41 AM

All good news, thank you Gibby.

|

"We don't rent pigs."

9/21/2017 10:59 AM

I gotta hit A1 this year....yeeoowwwww

|

9/21/2017 11:15 AM

Great news, just amazing the level at his recovery is going.

|

9/21/2017 11:33 AM

Eli is quaking in his boots already

|

9/21/2017 11:37 AM

es337 wrote:

Eli is quaking in his boots already

You forgot to add, "I think" at the beginning of your sentence.

There's often a big difference between what you want to project on riders, and what's actually happening.

|

9/21/2017 11:43 AM

stangkag wrote:

Would not be surprising at all, the drive and will Kenny has is just incredible. Can't wait to see the 94 line up again.

|

9/21/2017 11:44 AM

Thanks for the interview. Dude is a hero, and I am hoping to see him better than he was last year at A1. He has the mind-power so his body is going to follow.

|

United States of America

9/21/2017 11:49 AM

Camp332 wrote:

Thanks for the interview. Dude is a hero, and I am hoping to see him better than he was last year at A1. He has the mind-power so his body is going to follow.

Honda provided that. Better than he was at A1 last year? That'd be a tough feat. But there's not doubt he's a special rider and personality. We can't wait to see him back on the track...when he's ready to go.

|

9/21/2017 11:52 AM

Camp332 wrote:

GuyB wrote:

Honda provided that. Better than he was at A1 last year? That'd be a tough feat. But there's not doubt he's a special rider and personality. We can't wait to see him back on the track...when he's ready to go.

I'm the optimist around here Gib!

|

United States of America

9/21/2017 12:09 PM

He sounds confident, not cocky. He has a solid plan and seems to be sticking to it. I like what I'm reading, '18 is going to be very interesting.

|

9/21/2017 12:11 PM

Camp332 wrote:

GuyB wrote:

Better in terms of patience possibly.

|

"If you are going through HELL, keep going."-Winston Churchill
"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

9/21/2017 12:27 PM

Interesting to see how Eli does this year with added pressure from Kenny, a developed Marvin and Ando.

|

9/21/2017 12:28 PM

Good stuff! If he raced and got last place the first 10 times I would count that a success, personally!

|

9/21/2017 12:46 PM

to me it's a miracle he's even riding. 2018 will be his year hopefully, kid deserves it.

|

9/21/2017 12:51 PM

Way too much sucking up around here Vital. Of course it is a miraculous recovery happening and I wish him the best against long odds.

I think it's going to take him a while longer...

to adapt to the Rekluse auto clutchw00t

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

9/21/2017 1:04 PM

Unbelievable... super hero for sure!

|

9/21/2017 1:10 PM

I like how he is honest with his wrist and elbow.... Not like it's all perfect, better then ever bs etc.... Seems he really loves racing and riding, hope he does well...

|

9/21/2017 2:01 PM

Nice interview, thanks for posting GuyB, ok well my prediction of MEC was wrong... smile Still amazing progress and I look forward to him race at 100% at A1.

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

9/22/2017 3:06 PM

AC posted an Instagram video with Roczen saying that in a 10 minute moto Roczen was able to run him down. Probably doesn't mean much, but even having the bike advantage I'd have to think that's pretty damned impressive at this point.

|

9/22/2017 8:23 PM

darkbelow13 wrote:

AC posted an Instagram video with Roczen saying that in a 10 minute moto Roczen was able to run him down. Probably doesn't mean much, but even having the bike advantage I'd have to think that's pretty damned impressive at this point.

Thats definitely a good thing some of the 250 riders run the same lap times at 450 riders. I remember Eli setting the fastest lap times of the day on his 250f and James did it in Supercross multiple times on his 125.

|

9/22/2017 11:36 PM

stangkag wrote:

He could not win sx title in the last 4 years, what makes you think he can now, comming back from injury?

|

9/23/2017 4:11 AM

stangkag wrote:

cali11 wrote:

He could not win sx title in the last 4 years, what makes you think he can now, comming back from injury?

Maybe because the only two guys that were able to beat him regularly are retired

|

9/23/2017 12:55 PM

darkbelow13 wrote:

In a foot race, yes....have you seen AC run? Hell I could beat him and I'm in a broken down old man in my 60's. AC getting run down on a bike by KR at this point.....um, no way.

|

9/23/2017 6:01 PM

Man, it's a shame the doctor couldn't have goten his wrist back together a little straighter. I'm sure he'll adapt but damn. That thing is wicked.

A post shared by Ken Roczen (@kenroczen94) on

|

9/23/2017 6:24 PM

darkbelow13 wrote:

sparker245 wrote:

In a foot race, yes....have you seen AC run? Hell I could beat him and I'm in a broken down old man in my 60's. AC getting run down on a bike by KR at this point.....um, no way.

Well AC said it himself

|