The Real Side Of The Story ?

Mr. Info
Edited Date/Time 6/12/2015 8:34am
On May 27, four days after the Glen Helen 250/450 National, MX Sports declared that Don Leib and his associate would have their AMA Pro Racing credentials suspended indefinitely. The two would be prohibited from entering the pits at any Lucas Oil Pro Motocross event until further notice. According to MX Sports, “Violation of this prohibition will be deemed trespass and subject to criminal prosecution.” This situation is vaguely reminiscent of the Tony Alessi affair —with the father of a rider getting banned from the races. Although in this case, the issues seem to be over an unpaid, although unconfirmed, debt.

At the time of the MX Sports announcement, MXA offered Don Leib the opportunity to tell his side of the story. We have not edited or redacted Don’s comments in any manner and run them to their fullest. This is the other side of the three-sided story involving Don Leib, Cade Clason and MX Sports. Here is Don Leib’s statement.

“A lot has been said on the Internet about what happened at Glen Helen on 5/23/15 and like all controversies there are two sides of the story. Initially I had planned to let it take its course while I sat out my suspension but there has been a lot said that is not accurate. Here is my statement.

“I respect and accept the penalty handed down by MX Sports and the AMA. Their point of view is that if somebody else’s property is in their “house” the property owner has no right to come and get it and or alter it regardless of the history of the bike.

“My point of view is that the property in question was not paid for, was not going to get paid for, is technically mine. They went to great lengths avoiding me, altering the equipment and forced me to deal with it at the race.

clason92Cade Clason (92) borrowed a bike from Nick Schmidt for the Glen Helen race, and MX Sports re-ran it through tech inspection after Clason’s black box was disabled in the pits after qualifying. Clason finished 31st on the borrowed Suzuki.

“Of course the situation is more complicated than that. Following is my side of what happened and how this led up to the events at Glen Helen.

“The motorcycle in question was built for my son to race at the Monster Energy Cup last year and was purchased by a friend of our family who lives in Italy. He has purchased one bike a year for the last three years. The title is in my name. I had no intention of selling the bike until right before the 2016 models are released. Nothing was spared in the build. It’s a 67 hp easy to ride rocket ship. Cade hole shot a semi at A2, I believe, finished second behind Tickle and transferred to the main on the bike.

“AG Motorsports, which is run by Al Albiker, based their operations out of the Rocket Performance shop in Winchester, CA from early December through early February when the east coast rounds start up. Kyle Cunningham, Cade Clason and my son have contracts with the team. Cade’s contract calls for AG to supply him a race bike, not Rocket Performance. By the time Cade got to California AG had not secured a race bike for him. Al asked if Cade could try our bike. He loved it. Initially AG was to trade me a stock engine and just pay for the engine mods but after a week of Cade riding the bike Al asked if he could buy the entire bike. I reluctantly agreed if he could pay for it by years end, which was about a week.

“Cade had been riding and racing the bike during December and January based on AG Motorsports agreeing to buy the bike and pay for it before the end of December. Sponsorship money for AG was “coming in a few days” is what Al would tell me. This went on through Jan. Early Feb the semi was getting packed up to head to Dallas and I had not been paid for the bike. I had let AG know that the bike could not go without payment. On Thursday, the day before the truck was leaving for Dallas, I got a phone call from Debra Poole. One of the mechanics called her to let her know of the situation.

“I sold the motorcycle to Debra Poole, Cade Clason’s grandmother, and was happy to have an agreement with Debra so that Cade could continue to race the bike. Our agreement (see below) was made literally hours before the AG Motorsports semi was leaving my shop for Dallas and the east coast rounds of Supercross. The terms were simple; the bike was to be paid for in three payments over the course of the next three weeks, before the end of March. We discussed in great detail the fact that I was selling her the bike and not AG Motorsports.

“This is the wording from our text message confirming the deal. “Don, I’m taking your word that bike will be on the semi and in Dallas as you are taking mine that you will be paid. Is that our deal?”

“Yes Debra, your word is plenty good for me. I have already instructed my guys at the shop to not interfere and help in any way we can. Please don’t worry.”

“Over the next few weeks Debra Poole and I exchanged many text messages. She was very thankful that I was trusting. She also asked that I did not share this information with anybody because she did not want her grandson to know about it. I obliged. Getting the first two payments took much longer then our agreement and I knew I was in trouble. When I asked Debra Poole about the final payment she informed me that AG Motorsports was going to make the final payment. I reminded her of our agreement and the fact that my agreement was with her and not AG Motorsports. AG was not, is not and in my opinion then and now will not be in a position to pay for the bike. Debra Poole cut off all communication with me. They continued to race the bike and ignore my requests for payment. I was extremely frustrated. They had my bike and were refusing to communicate with me only to say that AG would make the final payment when I had specifically discussed with Debra Poole that I would not do business with AG. The story I’d get from AG was still the same…… his sponsor is close to getting him money and please be patient.

“I contacted an attorney to explore my options. It was a civil matter and given the unknown whereabouts of the bike and the lack of a notarized bill of sale I was advised there was not much I could do. I continued to call and text Debra Poole and had numerous discussions with AG Motorsports all for not.

“At Hangtown a friend of mine went to their pit and asked about the bike. Cade had said that his race bike was not the bike in question. I would have to wait till the following week at Glen Helen to determine this myself.

“I had hoped to see the mechanic and or the bike the week leading up to Glen Helen but the mechanic avoided coming to the Rocket Performance shop. Normally the team would base themselves from our shop when on the west coast. Knowing full well that once the bike left California after Glen Helen I would never see it again I went to Glen Helen on Friday to talk to them and try to come to terms. I did not want to deal with this on race day. I waited almost five hours for them to get to the track and late in the afternoon I left. They forced me to deal with the situation the morning of the race at Glen Helen.

“Our electronics technician, who is an independent contractor and is owed money related to the bike, has a good rapport with the mechanic and the rider. He went to the pit Sat morning to look at the bike. They talked about the track and altering the power delivery and at that time he confirmed that the frame had been changed and that the serial number on the engine case had been removed. This was beyond acceptable and an obvious attempt to conceal the origin of the engine. When he was invited by the mechanic to hook up his computer to the bike the computer immediately recognized the Vortex ECU and the specific maps that control the electronics. We were 100% certain it was the engine out of the bike in question.

“When he had the computer hooked up to the electronics he set the rev limiter to 5000 rpm, which is just above idle. This made the bike not rideable and in no way unsafe and provided me some leverage to negotiate the final payment of 7K or take back the engine and call it a day.

“I entered the pit, they did not know of the change that was made. I was met by Debra Poole who did not want to talk to me. I informed her that the bike was not rideable and I asked her to honor her commitment, do what’s right and Cade could race. The police were called to the pit. I had already discussed this with an officer and knew the outcome. The police were unable to help either party based on the fact that the frame had been changed and the engine did not have a serial number. If the serial number was on the engine I was likely to get my engine back. It was a civil matter.

“Debra Poole recently stated to MX Sports and the AMA that she did not pay the final invoice because all of the parts on the invoice were not on the bike. When it left my shop on Feb 5th it had a complete set of billet wheels. When the bike got to Dallas AG Motorsports took the wheels off the bike and put them on another team member’s bike. This is clearly not my problem or responsibility to correct and is just another facet of the theft.

“As of today I still don’t have the money or the bike and or the engine. People are entitled to their opinion and at the end of the day there will be people on both sides of the fence. Shame on me for trying to be good guy and letting the bike go without full payment so that Cade could complete the SX season. That was my mistake. Knowing that Debra Poole, who states “I have deep pockets” has ample funds to pay for the bike. I honestly never questioned her character.

“Why did I choose to deal with this situation like I did? First and foremost I trusted Debra Poole. Second, the lengths they went to avoiding me and altering the equipment further flamed the fire. Lastly, I had exhausted every possible way to resolve the debt but the family had stated many times that they were not going to pay for it. Contrary to what people might think we are a small company of three people. We fund our own racing efforts competing with teams and companies that are much bigger and have endless resources. Fact is the amount of money owed to us will go directly back into our company and back to the racetrack.

“This has been a very emotional ordeal. In the end I feel sorry for Cade who is a fine young man and is very talented young rider. It was a very difficult decision. I’m not proud of what happened at Glen Helen as our family has been dedicated to educating young racers and trying to grow rider’s careers, this was counter-productive to what we stand for.

“As we move forward we simply look to being “Paid in full” per the terms of our agreement and get back to helping racers meet their goals on and off the track.”

Respectfully,
Don Leib

|
Crush
6/3/2015 7:06pm
I haven't read all of the other threads on this...

But if people are removing Vin and engine numbers, that's some bullshit.

I don't necessarily agree with going heavy handed on the electronics, but it was safe, he wasn't going to get a resolution any other way and I can totally understand why he did it... can't say I wouldn't either.

Reality is, no one looks good going out of any of this. Except Don's engine building skills haha
mx317
6/3/2015 7:09pm
You might know that the Vortex ECU has your map in it, but that does not mean it's the engine from the other bike. It probably was, but to say you can tell it's the engine by the map is bullshit.

The Shop

DPR250R
6/3/2015 7:17pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2015 7:22pm
I get it but.... IMO altering the bike at an AMA National was not the right move. Honestly Grandma, Cade and AG seem like the bad guys in all of this.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
6/3/2015 7:18pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2015 7:19pm
Azzholes need to pay for the bike! Damn crooks..

I think altering the bike was the right move and I know most of us would have done the same..
newmann
6/3/2015 7:19pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2015 7:21pm
mx317 wrote:
You might know that the Vortex ECU has your map in it, but that does not mean it's the engine from the other bike. It probably...
You might know that the Vortex ECU has your map in it, but that does not mean it's the engine from the other bike. It probably was, but to say you can tell it's the engine by the map is bullshit.
You sure about that? You know what they had for injection? Not much I hate more than a thief.
Crush
6/3/2015 7:20pm
Would be good for tech-inspection to also require cleared paperwork and vin engine numbers etc...
DPR250R
6/3/2015 7:24pm
Crush wrote:
Would be good for tech-inspection to also require cleared paperwork and vin engine numbers etc...
If this becomes a common occurrence... you may be right. Let's hope this kind of stuff does not start to happen on the regular.
Xeno
6/3/2015 7:37pm
Crush wrote:
I don't think the AMA production rule requires the bikes to have VIN and engine numbers. (But I'm too lazy to look it up).
Hut
6/3/2015 7:44pm
Idle is 5000 RPM? Huh

This is a bad situation, honestly it sounds like everyone did something wrong in this deal. But anyone that has ever been ripped off by a thief will tell you how bad that feels. Makes ya lose faith in mankind.
JBernard_401
6/3/2015 7:46pm
DPR250R wrote:
I get it but.... IMO altering the bike at an AMA National was not the right move. Honestly Grandma, Cade and AG seem like the bad...
I get it but.... IMO altering the bike at an AMA National was not the right move. Honestly Grandma, Cade and AG seem like the bad guys in all of this.
where would you prefer him to get his bike back? if they are avoiding any communication, whats the other option?
go to their house on their property and try to steal it back?
JBernard_401
6/3/2015 7:47pm
Hut wrote:
Idle is 5000 RPM? :huh: This is a bad situation, honestly it sounds like everyone did something wrong in this deal. But anyone that has ever...
Idle is 5000 RPM? Huh

This is a bad situation, honestly it sounds like everyone did something wrong in this deal. But anyone that has ever been ripped off by a thief will tell you how bad that feels. Makes ya lose faith in mankind.
limiter @ 5k
Hut
6/3/2015 7:56pm
Hut wrote:
Idle is 5000 RPM? :huh: This is a bad situation, honestly it sounds like everyone did something wrong in this deal. But anyone that has ever...
Idle is 5000 RPM? Huh

limiter @ 5k
Yea but it reads; "...5000 rpm, which is just above idle. . . ." I am just guessing but that is probably over 3K rpm above idle, not that it makes a shit really just caught my eye.
jeffro503
6/3/2015 7:56pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2015 7:58pm
Maybe Don went about this the wrong way , but in my opinion I think what he did was fair and correct. He had a guy work the ECU so the bike wouldn't run , a bike that HE HIMSELF owns and the rider never freakin' paid for it!

When I read the whole story , it sounds like Clason and his grand mother never made due on what THEY OWED! If you can't pay for something like that , does it give you a right to basically just steal it?

The guy didn't make the bike run bad , that could have caused Clason injury it sounds like , he just made it so it wouldn't run. Good for Don I say! Sticking up for himself against a low life A-hole that doesn't think he needs to pay for it. What was he going to do , give it back after a full race season was on it? Fuck Clason ( and his dumb grandma! )
Xeno
6/3/2015 7:58pm
I've heard all three sides and I'm still confused:
Why not report the entire bike as stolen? The purchase was not completed and the title not transferred, right?

I'm just wondering what I would do in that situation.
6/3/2015 7:59pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Maybe Don went about this the wrong way , but in my opinion I think what he did was fair and correct. He had a guy...
Maybe Don went about this the wrong way , but in my opinion I think what he did was fair and correct. He had a guy work the ECU so the bike wouldn't run , a bike that HE HIMSELF owns and the rider never freakin' paid for it!

When I read the whole story , it sounds like Clason and his grand mother never made due on what THEY OWED! If you can't pay for something like that , does it give you a right to basically just steal it?

The guy didn't make the bike run bad , that could have caused Clason injury it sounds like , he just made it so it wouldn't run. Good for Don I say! Sticking up for himself against a low life A-hole that doesn't think he needs to pay for it. What was he going to do , give it back after a full race season was on it? Fuck Clason ( and his dumb grandma! )
Amen
6/3/2015 8:15pm
Xeno wrote:
I've heard all three sides and I'm still confused: Why not report the entire bike as stolen? The purchase was not completed and the title not...
Why not report the entire bike as stolen? The purchase was not completed and the title not transferred, right?

1) the bike was no longer in California, last seen at Club MX after one of the East Coast SX races
2) they swapped the frame and ground the engine number off before bringing it to California

Current chances of ever seeing the bike complete again are probably right around 0%
6/3/2015 8:18pm
mx317 wrote:
You might know that the Vortex ECU has your map in it, but that does not mean it's the engine from the other bike. It probably...
Yes it does, the engine had modified electronics, that map would not run in a stock bike or a bike with different electronics. The map read "Michael Leib Monster Cup" when Josh plugged in.

Note: The ECU, wiring harness, injector, throttle body and fuel pump all belong to Josh and were sold as part of the bike so, he adjusted something that he actuallly owned and the map was tuned by him on the dyno, so intellectual property rights.
PEPE001
6/3/2015 8:25pm
As mentioned in the other threads there will be NO winner!
Xeno
6/3/2015 8:31pm
Xeno wrote:
I've heard all three sides and I'm still confused: Why not report the entire bike as stolen? The purchase was not completed and the title not...

109 wrote:
1) the bike was no longer in California, last seen at Club MX after one of the East Coast SX races 2) they swapped the frame...
1) the bike was no longer in California, last seen at Club MX after one of the East Coast SX races
2) they swapped the frame and ground the engine number off before bringing it to California

Current chances of ever seeing the bike complete again are probably right around 0%
I think if I had the title in my name I would report the vehicle as stolen, regardless of where it was last seen, or the engine number being removed.
At least it would be a move toward legal resolution.
Plus, if someone tried to title the chassis in another state, it would be flagged as stolen.
jeffro503
6/3/2015 8:32pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2015 8:33pm
PEPE001 wrote:
As mentioned in the other threads there will be NO winner!
There really should be no question here. Clason seems like a fucking loser dead beat who doesn't pay his bill and Don won out on the deal and at least got the fucker to quit riding the bike he never paid for.

WTF is up with this new generation of people who think they are entitled to get free shit? Just go out and take something and claim it's yours. Or take something on loan with an agreement to pay for it , but never pay a fucking dime?

Fuck anyone who thinks like that! Most people that have to go out and bust their ass every day appreciate the things they own , because they fucking worked for it , and that's why they OWN IT! I've had to scratch and claw for every damn penny I have , and I'll be god damned if I'm going to give any of it away unintentionally! You want something? Fucking earn it!
jeffro503
6/3/2015 8:36pm
Xeno wrote:

109 wrote:
1) the bike was no longer in California, last seen at Club MX after one of the East Coast SX races 2) they swapped the frame...

Xeno wrote:
I think if I had the title in my name I would report the vehicle as stolen, regardless of where it was last seen, or the...
I think if I had the title in my name I would report the vehicle as stolen, regardless of where it was last seen, or the engine number being removed.
Plus, if someone tried to title the chassis in another state, it would be flagged as stolen.
That's the problem though. People buy bikes with no title with the assumption that they are hot to begin with , why try and get a title? The cops will just take the bike you just paid for.

Grinding off the serial number , is the first indication that Clason basically had his mind set to steal the damn thing! He was never going to pay a dime on that bike and him and his thief of a grandma knew it!
Crush
6/3/2015 8:37pm
Gotta agree Jeffro.

Gonna be pretty hard for this kid to get any further help i'd imagine too. Or the original sponsors.
bents
Fantasy
909th
6/3/2015 8:48pm
Feel bad for Don who just tried to be a good guy. I can't blame Don for taking the action he did-shitty situation and shame on those who didn't/wouldn't pay the bill.
TeamGreen
6/3/2015 8:58pm
Xeno wrote:

109 wrote:

Xeno wrote:
I think if I had the title in my name I would report the vehicle as stolen, regardless of where it was last seen, or the...
Ever try that with an MSO?
PEPE001
6/3/2015 9:08pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2015 9:17pm
jeffro503 wrote:
There really should be no question here. Clason seems like a fucking loser dead beat who doesn't pay his bill and Don won out on the...
There really should be no question here. Clason seems like a fucking loser dead beat who doesn't pay his bill and Don won out on the deal and at least got the fucker to quit riding the bike he never paid for.

WTF is up with this new generation of people who think they are entitled to get free shit? Just go out and take something and claim it's yours. Or take something on loan with an agreement to pay for it , but never pay a fucking dime?

Fuck anyone who thinks like that! Most people that have to go out and bust their ass every day appreciate the things they own , because they fucking worked for it , and that's why they OWN IT! I've had to scratch and claw for every damn penny I have , and I'll be god damned if I'm going to give any of it away unintentionally! You want something? Fucking earn it!
Agreed!

I only buy something if I have the fund if I don't have the money it has to wait.
I owned a MX Distribution Business and as soon as some riders got a little faster they thought getting everything for free.

But I am lucky not being in the MX business anymore to many scum bags and want to be "Dungey's".
Skill of a B class rider with expectation of a top national pro.
I saw them all.

As it it seems the situation is a little different and a bit unclear what the role of AG Motorsports is.
But I don't care who has which role due to the fact that nobody except the involved parties know the entire truth!

Again there will be no winner everybody outside will sees or want to see it a little different. And people or business owner will act accordingly to there knowledge.

DL will lose some business (bad because its his income)
CC lost reputation (he might need to pay more in the future)
AG lost reputation as well (don't know but might get some issues with future sponsoring)

So no winner!

Post a reply to: The Real Side Of The Story ?

The Latest