The Psychological Battle Between Stewart and Dungey

Hank_Thrill
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:00pm
I think Jason Weigandt and Steve Cox made some great comments in the "post race" show about the psychological battle between Stewart and Dungey (though i'm probably in the minority of finding this stuff interesting, as a graduate psychology student).

However, Jason mentioned that Stewart was probably hoping to beat Dungey, to get into his head for 2011, and make him question his 2010 dominance/program. If I had to take a guess now, after Stewart's mental meltdown from being stuck in the pack for the first time in his life during Moto #2, and being so heated he couldn't even speak with Erin Bates on live TV, Dungey is probably the one getting into his head. And if not, the seed has at least been planted.

Also, how do you think it feels for Stewart to get beat by not only Ryan Dungey in Moto #1, but Clement Desalle, as well? As Jeff Emig pointed out, the guy has gone piratically his entire life dominating, with the exception of racing Ricky Carmichael.

Think about that for a second. Imagine going your whole entire life dominating your sport from the 50cc amateur class, all the way up to the 450 professional class, with the exception of racing the, "Greatest of All Time." And not only that, but being hailed as the fastest man on two wheels.

Though Stewart hates losing, probably more than anyone the sport has ever seen, and it's obvious with his full speed ahead and damned the consequences approach to racing, I think he could handle, to some extent, losing to Carmichael; because Ricky was such a legend. These other guys though, such as Dungey, Desalle, and the ten riders in front of Stewart in Moto #2, are not legends, especially in mind of James Stewart!

I don't believe for one second he pulled off in Moto #2 for the safety of his health, or inability to finish the moto. That would have been a rational decision, where he would have been calm enough to talk to Erin Bates on live TV. If I had to guess, he probably pulled off in an emotional storm from where he was at the time, and where he expected himself to be, judging by how he stonewalled Erin Bates on live national television.

These next three rounds should be super exciting! For anyone to think Stewart is only as good as his last race is ridiculous. He's going to get a little fitter, and hopefully the bike will get more dialed in, but after these next three rounds, he might not only have to rebound from the physical injury, he might also have to rebound from the mental beating of Dungey, leading into the 2011 Supercross season.
|
Keith Stone
8/16/2010 2:41pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2010 2:50pm
One race back. First the med Drs. now the psychologist have chimed in LOL.
Hank_Thrill
8/16/2010 2:45pm
It's a big aspect of the sport. Look what one win did for the confidence of Trey Canard!
SteveS
8/16/2010 2:47pm
If you want to get all psychological about it, pulling off in moto 2 allows him to keep up his self-delusion that he always is the fastest. He can rationalize that he wasn't proven not to be because he "elected" to leave the race for other reasons.
peelout719
8/16/2010 2:49pm
One race back. First the med Drs. now the psychologist have chimed in LOL.
not to mention the un-original "look at me i think a commercial is funny" douche.

stfu.

good post Hank_Thrill

The Shop

Keith Stone
8/16/2010 2:51pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2010 2:51pm
It's a big aspect of the sport. Look what one win did for the confidence of Trey Canard!
If you have it all figured out, then why aren't you making that kind of money?.
Torco1
8/16/2010 2:56pm
SteveS wrote:
If you want to get all psychological about it, pulling off in moto 2 allows him to keep up his self-delusion that he always is the...
If you want to get all psychological about it, pulling off in moto 2 allows him to keep up his self-delusion that he always is the fastest. He can rationalize that he wasn't proven not to be because he "elected" to leave the race for other reasons.
Cool
KAWboy14
8/16/2010 3:04pm
those 2 guys are clueless.....stewart races himself, thats why he doesnt care how far ahead he is, he keeps goin as fast as he can.

dungey knows how fast stewart and rv are healthy!
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
8/16/2010 3:14pm
You guys read wayyyyy too much into things.

It was one race. James knew he would not be ready.

But I do think RD and RV are the future of MX.

That being said I am huge fan of all three guys.
Keith Stone
8/16/2010 3:17pm
peelout719 wrote:
not to mention the un-original "look at me i think a commercial is funny" douche.

stfu.

good post Hank_Thrill
Or the idiots, we must include the idiots right?
mag23
8/16/2010 3:20pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:
You guys read wayyyyy too much into things. It was one race. James knew he would not be ready. But I do think RD and RV...

x2 It was exciting to see JS riding again... Even if the end result was not what was expected. Hopefully we'll see what's really up with all the fellas next year... Like 2005 SX, the perfect storm?
mr50racer
8/16/2010 3:22pm
He was not going to ride around in 13th...I told my buddy he was going to pull off and make an excuse. He can't take being beaten. Its nice to see that you can't get by on talent alone.. I doubt you will see him at any of the other nationals. Yeah his bike this and his bike that....He is not in shape and these guys were going fast...If he can't win then he isn't going to be out there...Its kind of like the little kid that cries when he loses and breaks the game......Alessi can ride around in 13th because he has heart and doesn't quit. Its obvious that something is wrong and he can still stay out there......let it rip boys.....
KAWboy14
8/16/2010 3:24pm
mr50racer wrote:
He was not going to ride around in 13th...I told my buddy he was going to pull off and make an excuse. He can't take being...
He was not going to ride around in 13th...I told my buddy he was going to pull off and make an excuse. He can't take being beaten. Its nice to see that you can't get by on talent alone.. I doubt you will see him at any of the other nationals. Yeah his bike this and his bike that....He is not in shape and these guys were going fast...If he can't win then he isn't going to be out there...Its kind of like the little kid that cries when he loses and breaks the game......Alessi can ride around in 13th because he has heart and doesn't quit. Its obvious that something is wrong and he can still stay out there......let it rip boys.....
if stewart quit, it was because he couldnt ride NOT because he couldn't win!
Keith Stone
8/16/2010 3:30pm
mr50racer wrote:
He was not going to ride around in 13th...I told my buddy he was going to pull off and make an excuse. He can't take being...
What's the difference between and excuse and a explanation? What was his excuse?. You race a mr50 what's the top speed on that, like 15mph?.
jasonv43
8/16/2010 4:06pm
I'm waiting for the gynecological battle to begin. That's where we will find out who really is a bad ass.
jeffro503
8/16/2010 4:07pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2010 4:09pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:
You guys read wayyyyy too much into things. It was one race. James knew he would not be ready. But I do think RD and RV...

mag23 wrote:
x2 It was exciting to see JS riding again... Even if the end result was not what was expected. Hopefully we'll see what's really up with...
x2 It was exciting to see JS riding again... Even if the end result was not what was expected. Hopefully we'll see what's really up with all the fellas next year... Like 2005 SX, the perfect storm?
X100 ! there is NO need reading into things this deep to be honest. Even though there is waaayy more money at stake , they ride really high dollar race bikes , the champioships are worth more........It is JUST a a race!

To them.....racing in the 60cc class 10-15 years ago , was just as important to them then , as these races are to them now! Seriously.......don't over analyze things to much.

When you are 8yrs old , on the line with 20 other kids.....you want to beat them all....no matter what! They don't feel any different now , and most "Core" racers will tell you the same thing.

There is not as much mind games out on the track as you may think.....and even LESS after the race! These guys do nothing but think about getting to the checkers first......they don't care who they beat.....as long as they win , or try as hard as they can

There is no "mind-battle" type shit going on here. Sometimes guys who don't like each other , also race against each other....I've done it for years. But there were no physiological games being played.........we were all there to do the same thing......RACE!
chrisbuehler
8/16/2010 4:11pm
mr50racer wrote:
KAWboy14 wrote:
I bet you were saying before the race what a beating he was gonna give Dungey weren't you? Suck it up, there's a new Boss. It's RV and Dungey's time now
raddad
8/16/2010 4:19pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:

mag23 wrote:
x2 It was exciting to see JS riding again... Even if the end result was not what was expected. Hopefully we'll see what's really up with...
jeffro503 wrote:
X100 ! there is NO need reading into things this deep to be honest. Even though there is waaayy more money at stake , they ride...
X100 ! there is NO need reading into things this deep to be honest. Even though there is waaayy more money at stake , they ride really high dollar race bikes , the champioships are worth more........It is JUST a a race!

To them.....racing in the 60cc class 10-15 years ago , was just as important to them then , as these races are to them now! Seriously.......don't over analyze things to much.

When you are 8yrs old , on the line with 20 other kids.....you want to beat them all....no matter what! They don't feel any different now , and most "Core" racers will tell you the same thing.

There is not as much mind games out on the track as you may think.....and even LESS after the race! These guys do nothing but think about getting to the checkers first......they don't care who they beat.....as long as they win , or try as hard as they can

There is no "mind-battle" type shit going on here. Sometimes guys who don't like each other , also race against each other....I've done it for years. But there were no physiological games being played.........we were all there to do the same thing......RACE!
some riders HAVE won races because they played mind games...if you really do race and you really are competitive then you should know that this is a highly mental game as are all sports. Yes we want to win but are we effected by the games others play? You know the answer to that..

Are we effected by how others do when they line up on the same gate? come on be honest.
raddad
8/16/2010 4:22pm
mr50racer wrote:
KAWboy14 wrote:
I bet you were saying before the race what a beating he was gonna give Dungey weren't you? Suck it up, there's a new Boss. It's...
I bet you were saying before the race what a beating he was gonna give Dungey weren't you? Suck it up, there's a new Boss. It's RV and Dungey's time now
yes he is one of the fanatics.. click on his posts
Trip
8/16/2010 4:33pm
Lots of observations for one race back about a guy coming off of an injury..

Good thing you guys don't talk other sports, how many bad games have pitchers had coming back from an injury. Some of you would have them buried after one game back.. Some GM you would make..
BLAHBLAH
8/16/2010 4:34pm
raddad wrote:
some riders HAVE won races because they played mind games...if you really do race and you really are competitive then you should know that this is...
some riders HAVE won races because they played mind games...if you really do race and you really are competitive then you should know that this is a highly mental game as are all sports. Yes we want to win but are we effected by the games others play? You know the answer to that..

Are we effected by how others do when they line up on the same gate? come on be honest.
Hey raddad, should of bet me on the past weekend... How pumped were you to see your boy rip off another win, we even got to see a good battle just not the one we were all thinking was gonna happen.

On another point as far as the psyco-babble goes... It's August, James is not going to be in title contention till January, it is a bit early for mind games. Besides we all know SX is a completely different beast. On top of that I wouldn't be surprised if L&M is a SX only team again.

As far as the mind games go... Stewart losing is the best thing for him. His beat down will do one of two things motivate him, or make him give up. Which do you think is going to happen. Stewart is focused on one thing and one thing only, SX titles. I bet the only reason he is even racing the final 4 nats is because the rash of shit he is getting and for Bubba's World footage.

Enjoy watching him at the last three rounds, it might be the last time you see him on an outdoor track.
Keith Stone
8/16/2010 4:38pm
jeffro503 wrote:
X100 ! there is NO need reading into things this deep to be honest. Even though there is waaayy more money at stake , they ride...

Ha! Ha!, Mind battling, Next they'll be swashbuckling with swords on top the podium, good call jeffro503.
raddad
8/16/2010 4:43pm
raddad wrote:
some riders HAVE won races because they played mind games...if you really do race and you really are competitive then you should know that this is...

BLAHBLAH wrote:
Hey raddad, should of bet me on the past weekend... How pumped were you to see your boy rip off another win, we even got to...
Hey raddad, should of bet me on the past weekend... How pumped were you to see your boy rip off another win, we even got to see a good battle just not the one we were all thinking was gonna happen.

On another point as far as the psyco-babble goes... It's August, James is not going to be in title contention till January, it is a bit early for mind games. Besides we all know SX is a completely different beast. On top of that I wouldn't be surprised if L&M is a SX only team again.

As far as the mind games go... Stewart losing is the best thing for him. His beat down will do one of two things motivate him, or make him give up. Which do you think is going to happen. Stewart is focused on one thing and one thing only, SX titles. I bet the only reason he is even racing the final 4 nats is because the rash of shit he is getting and for Bubba's World footage.

Enjoy watching him at the last three rounds, it might be the last time you see him on an outdoor track.
Maybe i should have.. but i would never bet against bubba at least not untill now. I thought he would not race unless he figured he could win! Thats how i race and thats how i think lots of guys feel. It was cool to see out minnesota mini bike rider win a big race though!

I agree that it could actually motivate bubba but only if he really is planning on a full out assault next year. By that i mean i would have to question hi drive at this point, not so much because RD is faster but because he is rich and may be burned out if you listen to his show. It would be hard for any man to push the limits if you were in his position wouldn't it? Guess we shall see come 2011!
jasonv43
8/16/2010 4:43pm
raddad wrote:

BLAHBLAH wrote:
Hey raddad, should of bet me on the past weekend... How pumped were you to see your boy rip off another win, we even got to...

Did you say Bubba's World?

"A lot has changed since Stewart last raced outdoors, most notably: he now has his own TV show. The Fuel TV crew follows James around just about everywhere for “Bubba’s World.”"
Cygnus
8/16/2010 4:46pm
I can't believe the ama or mx sports allows the camera crew there.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
8/16/2010 4:57pm
MX Sports isn't going to stop JSE from bringing a camera crew in, maybe a privateer but not Stewart. How many more tickets and viewers did he bring in this weekend from his announcement that he would be there?
lucero10x
8/16/2010 5:02pm
Cygnus wrote:
I can't believe the ama or mx sports allows the camera crew there.
Seriously, Clark?

Outsider
8/16/2010 5:06pm
OMG, I just read we have ANOTHER OFF WEEK...

8/16/2010 5:06pm
Ha! Ha!, Mind battling, Next they'll be swashbuckling with swords on top the podium, good call jeffro503.
This place is filled with mind battling! You may not see it! I understand how you could miss that.
Cygnus
8/16/2010 6:15pm
jeffro503 wrote:

Hold my Stones. Har.

Post a reply to: The Psychological Battle Between Stewart and Dungey

The Latest