The Old MX Dilemma...

Sacko
Edited Date/Time 8/3/2018 6:45am
Here it is... coming back from yet another injury. I've already toned it down and focused on being safe, taking it easy and riding for the joy of it. Seemed like I get hurt once ever 2 years or so... I love the sport and really love riding, but every time it happends the wife, the family, friends don't stop telling me how I need to stop. I'm 29, working a career and can't stop wanting to be the "vet old guy at the track still going at 40, 50, etc... Has anyone been through this and did you quite or regret quitting or said screw it and just kept riding and having fun?
|
BR8ES
8/2/2018 12:08pm
I was there about 20 years ago and riding still... most everybody has careers and such, tone it down and be realistic. I DGAF about what others think or what I used to do. Better riding than talking about it and living in the past.
8/2/2018 12:10pm
100% possible to keep riding while minimizing the risk of injury. There will always be some level of risk, but as long as you keep yourself in check about not pushing yourself or trying something you might regret, that will keep the risk level down pretty low. "Moderation is the key to life" - applies to your riding style too
ruy
8/2/2018 1:27pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2018 1:33pm

I also had a bad streak of injury every year, I came out of the injury and when I back riding well, another injury. It was a bit stressful, so I decided to have more margin of safety, especially in the training, before I was always riding near other riders, now I prefer to ride alone, the last injury was the fault of the one in front.
And always ride concentrated.
And good, no more injuryes in four years.
I'm still riding at fifty-one years old and this year I've done two MX races and one Enduro race.
I will not quit.

BR8ES
8/2/2018 1:29pm
People come and go, sad to see the turnover. Proud to be a graybeard MXer.

The Shop

8/2/2018 1:34pm
A reckless driver could kill you on the way to work tomorrow staring at their phone. Danger is all around you. Removing yourself from one danger only places you in front of another. Live life, enjoy the ride and don't try and be a hero on the track. Whatever happens; happens. Stop if it starts affecting your quality of life or your families quality of life.
Sacko
8/2/2018 1:36pm
A reckless driver could kill you on the way to work tomorrow staring at their phone. Danger is all around you. Removing yourself from one danger...
A reckless driver could kill you on the way to work tomorrow staring at their phone. Danger is all around you. Removing yourself from one danger only places you in front of another. Live life, enjoy the ride and don't try and be a hero on the track. Whatever happens; happens. Stop if it starts affecting your quality of life or your families quality of life.
well said!
Paw Paw 271
8/2/2018 1:53pm
Over 70 here and still riding and loving every minute of it.

Paw Paw
BR8ES
8/2/2018 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2018 1:57pm
Over 70 here and still riding and loving every minute of it.

Paw Paw
that is my goal, pleased that I am on the verge of 50+.
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
8/2/2018 1:58pm
I'm 58 years old and still compete but at a much slower pace,I do it because like all of us I love it.Years earlier I was constantly getting hurt and it was really taking the fun out of it,It was a bitter pill to swallow accepting that I was not as skilled a rider as I was when younger and that I had to tone it down,so now I ride the pace I feel comfortable at and check my ego at he gate and make sure I finish the day standing up and not on the way to the hospital.Still is having a blast doing it.
newmann
8/2/2018 1:59pm
Sacko wrote:
Here it is... coming back from yet another injury. I've already toned it down and focused on being safe, taking it easy and riding for the...
Here it is... coming back from yet another injury. I've already toned it down and focused on being safe, taking it easy and riding for the joy of it. Seemed like I get hurt once ever 2 years or so... I love the sport and really love riding, but every time it happends the wife, the family, friends don't stop telling me how I need to stop. I'm 29, working a career and can't stop wanting to be the "vet old guy at the track still going at 40, 50, etc... Has anyone been through this and did you quite or regret quitting or said screw it and just kept riding and having fun?
First off, the dickbeater who gave you a thumbs down should be banned for life.

Next up, put the bikes in the corner and give it some time. I've done it many times with injuries and with job requirements. The job though....it can become a real time consumer and I've had a tough time coming back over the past decade. Too much going on and at the +50 point now I should probably be thinking of other stuff to do other than moto. But we all know how that goes, back to moto. There really is nothing else that compares.
BR8ES
8/2/2018 2:03pm
it's all about toning it to life's position and circumstances. Be realistic and still ride.
Evoracer
8/2/2018 2:33pm
If it's in your blood, you'll always comeback to it. It is a risk vs reward type of deal, but don't be overly cautious. Sometimes that'll bite you, especially in mx.

Moto only off and on since I was 7. 53yo now, more on than off lately.

If you need to quit something, don't ride at Lake Elsinore. Bad dirt. Haha.

TheCRKid
8/2/2018 2:38pm
Sacko wrote:
Here it is... coming back from yet another injury. I've already toned it down and focused on being safe, taking it easy and riding for the...
said screw it and just kept riding and having fun !! 54
erik_94COBRA
8/2/2018 3:55pm
The most dangerous part of my motocrossing is driving to the track (Houston freeways).

My mantra before pulling onto the track is always the same: I'm here to have fun and be safe. If I can't do both, then I don't ride.
dimetime
8/2/2018 5:01pm
I stopped for a few years in my late twenties due to multiple ACL issues and the loss of work it entailed. After a few more injuries due to work, construction related, l said "what the hell, l'm getting hurt a work anyway" so l bought another bike and haven't looked back.

Just had my most injury related crash at 54, requiring two surgeries and loss of now five months of work. l've fielded many "you're going to quit now" type questions but luckily my wife and kids aren't any of them, so other opinions don't matter.
DA498
8/2/2018 5:17pm
In the same boat currently, im 60. Screw it! Im riding!!
2T42
8/2/2018 6:15pm
It's not RIDING that makes you old.
It's NOT riding that makes you old.
8/2/2018 6:59pm
I've been hurt and lost a potential career job before, it sucks, but I love riding. I'm starting another career job in the same field Monday. This time, my GM is awesome (use to race H&H) and every field worker rides/races, a couple on the pro level. I feel like this will be a great fit for me.. and its union. Even if I didn't get this job and was stuck working my current job (no retirement or medical), I'd still ride
RCMXracing
8/2/2018 8:51pm
Don’t let others make you feel like you have bad judgment for doing something you are passionate about. Wife, family, friends shouldn’t be talking crap to you. Sports have risk. Skiing, wakeboarding, MTB, or how bout cycling and getting murdered by a car. Gotta have your outlet or next thing you know you’ll have a side chick then you’ll get caught and the wife will take half your shit.
Manage risks, avoid the BIG one the best you can.
8/2/2018 8:56pm
If you haven't quit by now it's not going to happen, time to face facts that your prime has passed, Mitch Payton is not going to call. Next year you can ride vet and +30 with guys who have to work on Monday, it should be safer and if a guy is riding squirrelly around you, you just let him go or pass him when he crashes. Slow down and have more fun and less crashes.
NorCal 50+
8/2/2018 10:27pm
Doesn't every rider/racer ask themselves "why?" once in a while?
I can truly say that with work, a family and all the responsibilities of modern life, I treasure seat time now at 51 like it's a fantastical dream. The whole day is pretty much awesome and I can really appreciate just being able to do it.
kNewc
8/3/2018 6:36am Edited Date/Time 8/3/2018 6:37am
It's tough to hear your family isn't behind you. My wife is behind it 100% and never questions it even after injuries. My parents and her parents are different stories. My parents are from a MX family and my Mom questions it, but it doesn't effect my Dad as he's used to it. In-Laws are totally against anything remotely dangerous (including ball sports). They think the Monster ladies at the races are sinful and kids shouldn't be involved around the races due to them. They think it's too dangerous and question it all together. Honestly, if your wife doesn't support you maybe you should think of hanging it up. I had dated my wife long before and knew she was supportive of MX, and was definitely one of the reasons I married her. I know she would never force me to stop (she encourages me to go). Even if I'm an old man - if makes you truly happy and they see that, they should let you do what makes you happy.

Post a reply to: The Old MX Dilemma...

The Latest