The New Racer X

hellion
The new look Racer X magazine finally arrived in my mail box yesterday. I say finally because I still get excited when I see a moto mag in the box, and that used to be a lot more frequent than it is now. We’ve lost print Cycle News, Dirt Rider, MX Racer, Motocross Journal, and recently Transworld Moto. I subscribed to them all, along with MXA and Dirt Bike, the other two remaining print publications. My collection on MXA and Dirt Bike goes back to 74 or 75, and I have every issue of Racer X (the pile almost as tall as I and I’m 6’3”!).

I used to advertise my helmet painting business in the Racer X paper, and for a few years after it went to a full magazine, but it eventually got too expensive for a helmet painter. I still support them with my subscription dollars and hope that helps keep them around as long as I.

All the digital stuff is great, but once you read it, it’s gone. We are eventually going to lose the historical aspect of our sport. Not just race results because you’ll be able to find them, but the photos and the ads and the editorials. Perhaps the now generation doesn’t care about such things. But I think they will as we all get a little more reflective as we age. Only, when they get where I am now, there will be nothing to see. That’s just plain sad.

So, the new Racer X is great, of course. But I’m mostly happy it’s still showing up every month. I applaud DC for his sticktoitiveness, and for his passion for saving the history of our sport. I would ask you all to subscribe as well, to help keep print alive and relevant. Because when they’re all gone, we’ll be just like the proverbial tree falling in the woods.......
|
newmann
3/22/2019 4:28am
Do you have the Racer X issues where there was a different cover for the news stands? I remember (and have) two of them. Were there more?
hellion
3/22/2019 4:32am
I’m sure I do Newmann, though organizing my stacks has always been a ‘someday’ project. I mostly look to the bottom of the piles to see the stuff I thought was cool when I was a kid.
MudPup545
3/22/2019 5:12am
Mine arrived two days ago. With a nice, 3 inch tear in the cover. Thank you US Postal Service. Sad Still love the feel of a magazine in my hands. And I do occasionally go through my collection of MXAs going back to 1982.
newmann
3/22/2019 5:26am
hellion wrote:
I’m sure I do Newmann, though organizing my stacks has always been a ‘someday’ project. I mostly look to the bottom of the piles to see...
I’m sure I do Newmann, though organizing my stacks has always been a ‘someday’ project. I mostly look to the bottom of the piles to see the stuff I thought was cool when I was a kid.
Mine are all tucked away in order in file boxes. Haven't been too into it the past five or so years and think I may be missing a few. One day I'll sort through and make sure they are all there.

The Shop

WDSRCR
3/22/2019 5:26am
I have the Whats Eating Jeff Emig? issue and the one just after that, When We Were Kings, issue. I think those were issue 3 and 4 of the magazine. Both are still in great shape. I bought those off the newsstand because the covers were printed so vividly and unlike all the moto mags of the time. I became a huge fan of the magazine over the years.
newmann
3/22/2019 5:29am
MudPup545 wrote:
Mine arrived two days ago. With a nice, 3 inch tear in the cover. Thank you US Postal Service. :( Still love the feel of a...
Mine arrived two days ago. With a nice, 3 inch tear in the cover. Thank you US Postal Service. Sad Still love the feel of a magazine in my hands. And I do occasionally go through my collection of MXAs going back to 1982.
There was one year that half of mine arrived late and shredded to pieces. Postal service can be brutal at times. DC probably spent three times the cost of a subscription mailing me replacements.
3/22/2019 12:59pm
I recently disposed of most of my old magazines. I saved 10 or so Racer X’s and all of my MXA’s older than ‘08.

Post a reply to: The New Racer X

The Latest