The King has spoken

Blake
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2012 5:52pm
Matthes MC Podcast.

Awesome. I was LMAO on the Pourcel part. Good stuff.

|
mac3-d
12/10/2010 11:49am
elvis is dead or so the rumor goes. there're a new kid in town. better stuff.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
12/10/2010 11:59am
Blake wrote:
Matthes MC Podcast.

Agreed! Great podcast ... MC is the King.
APLMAN99
12/10/2010 12:03pm
Blake wrote:
Matthes MC Podcast.

I didn't get a chance to hear the whole thing, but yeah the Pourcel part was a bit weird. Did Pourcel really basically say that McGrath didn't know what he was talking about because he'd never really been badly injured?

If I remember correctly, MC broke his neck once. The fractured hip wasn't exactly a walk in the park either, I think.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
719th
12/10/2010 12:08pm
Blake wrote:
Matthes MC Podcast.

APLMAN99 wrote:
I didn't get a chance to hear the whole thing, but yeah the Pourcel part was a bit weird. Did Pourcel really basically say that McGrath...
I didn't get a chance to hear the whole thing, but yeah the Pourcel part was a bit weird. Did Pourcel really basically say that McGrath didn't know what he was talking about because he'd never really been badly injured?

If I remember correctly, MC broke his neck once. The fractured hip wasn't exactly a walk in the park either, I think.
MC broke his neck but it wasnt anything close to what Pourcel went through

The Shop

sc961
12/10/2010 12:49pm
MC is proven, CP is on the road to being proven. Just had some bad "breaks" along the way.

Good luck to him, and all the guys looking for a great 2011..
raddad
12/10/2010 1:30pm
Hmmm guess i better take listen!Smile
TerryB
12/10/2010 1:34pm
And MC was already retired from full-time racing when it happened.
DBerg
12/10/2010 2:09pm
I doubt him and Pourcel talk very much about whats going on in their lives, and I'm pretty sure contract negotiations are confidential between the team managers and the rider in question, so it seems like MC might have made some assumptions that were inaccurate (or atleast CP didn't agree with) so it's understandable that he'd get pissed off at MC.
McGrath's win record, current job, and image in the sport has nothing to do with anything in this situation. It's simply one man making assumptions about another and portraying him in a negative light, and the other man being upset about it.
Also, while generally every pro motocrosser has experienced some pretty gnarly injuries in their lifetimes, CP's is one of the more gnarlier ones that had more career ending implications than most other pros that are currently racing or retired on their own.
No disrepsect to MC. I love the guy and am a huge fan, but if you talk shit about someone, you should expect a reaction. Same to CP, if you're one of the top professional athletes in your sport, you should expect to be talked about.
burnside
12/10/2010 2:33pm
I liked his comments on riders being themselves more. I think that would be a big shift in our sport and make it a lot more interesting to follow.
7GP
12/10/2010 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 12/10/2010 2:58pm
Awesome podcast for sure.

What were the pictures of that cost MC $250K? Matthes sure made a big deal about it.

kong0036
12/10/2010 3:00pm
when MC went from fox to thor i think Swap was not supose to release before a certain date and he did . not very cool
zippy895
12/10/2010 3:07pm
The King has spoken
what did dungey say
Hanaa80
12/10/2010 3:20pm
kong0036 wrote:
when MC went from fox to thor i think Swap was not supose to release before a certain date and he did . not very cool
I thought it was from Fox to No Fear.
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
12/10/2010 3:23pm
That was a great pod cast!
Jeremy telling it like it is.
moto48
12/10/2010 3:30pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
I didn't get a chance to hear the whole thing, but yeah the Pourcel part was a bit weird. Did Pourcel really basically say that McGrath...

youre an idiot
kong0036
12/10/2010 3:34pm
kong0036 wrote:
Hanaa80 wrote:
I thought it was from Fox to No Fear.
that was it sorry i stuffed that one up .
APLMAN99
12/10/2010 3:52pm
TerryB wrote:
And MC was already retired from full-time racing when it happened.
What Pourcel implied was that McGrath didn't understand the risk/reward equation involved in the sport. Obviously, he does. No one can hear a doctor tell them that their neck is broken and not understand how it could have been so much more horribly wrong had he have landed just a few centimeters differently.

None of that discounts Pourcels injury. It just shows that one doesn't need to have had the exact same injury as he had in order to understand the dangers involved in the sport. .
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
12/10/2010 4:03pm
Blake wrote:
Matthes MC Podcast.

APLMAN99 wrote:

Actually, wasn't it a dislocated hip?
partialperson
12/10/2010 4:28pm
MC broke/crushed his navicular, which could have been a career ending injury, it was for others. How bad of an injury would one need to create such controversy?
12/10/2010 5:01pm
What exactly were CP's injuries? I remember they were severe I just don't know exactly what it was?
Mikep147
12/10/2010 5:52pm
MC said he respects him as a rider and he is fast but they just got off to a bad start as im sure u guys heard in the podcast,when he came to the Honda track a few years back MC,Pourcel and Kehoe walked the track and MC showed him a fast line they were all doing(Team Honda Riders) like Triple,Triple,Triple and Pourcel's response was IMPOSSIBLE you cannot do that.And Mcgrath just said he was basically done with him from that moment on for him to call him a liar to his face.So i think the harsh feeling with Pourcel and MC were set years ago by the sounds of the Podcast.
Shawn142
12/10/2010 6:10pm
DBerg wrote:
I doubt him and Pourcel talk very much about whats going on in their lives, and I'm pretty sure contract negotiations are confidential between the team...
I doubt him and Pourcel talk very much about whats going on in their lives, and I'm pretty sure contract negotiations are confidential between the team managers and the rider in question, so it seems like MC might have made some assumptions that were inaccurate (or atleast CP didn't agree with) so it's understandable that he'd get pissed off at MC.
McGrath's win record, current job, and image in the sport has nothing to do with anything in this situation. It's simply one man making assumptions about another and portraying him in a negative light, and the other man being upset about it.
Also, while generally every pro motocrosser has experienced some pretty gnarly injuries in their lifetimes, CP's is one of the more gnarlier ones that had more career ending implications than most other pros that are currently racing or retired on their own.
No disrepsect to MC. I love the guy and am a huge fan, but if you talk shit about someone, you should expect a reaction. Same to CP, if you're one of the top professional athletes in your sport, you should expect to be talked about.
I think this is sort of the point, Pourcel doesn't speak to anyone period. Since Pala he has done no English press interviews, in fact turning down all the people who want to give him one to speak his side. He has turned down both Transworld and RacerX, instead opting to let a vague press release and his agent speak for him. So that mixed with rumor is the only information we have to go on for him. That's good and great, but it does nothing to help his image with teams, racers, or fans. And maybe he doesn't care.. but to survive in the world, and yes pro racing, you have to go along to get along.

This sport gets TV coverage, magazines, and the like but it doesn't change the facts about how small it is. The traveling circus that is AMA pro racing involves just hundreds of people, not thousands. And if you continue to step on toes, be difficult and stand-offish, that gets noticed by everyone. Winning alone doesn't make a factory interested enough to hire or keep you. JS7 won a title for Kawi in his departing year but they went with RV instead. But being liked and respected has kept someone like KW in a good paying job for years despite no premier class titles.
12/10/2010 7:30pm Edited Date/Time 12/10/2010 7:31pm
I like Pourcel, I think he adds a lot to our sport, he is a different cat with a different kind of personality, Its a nice change to the same ole apple guys. His riding is incredible and he is a very bright guy.
As for Jeremy, holding a grudge over something so petty is a bit much. why would you want to make a public announcement that you don't like someone. Forgive and forget for crying out loud.
OSJ
12/10/2010 7:33pm
zippy895 wrote:
The King has spoken
what did dungey say
dungey isnt even close to being king status. he will never beat mc's record in his carreer.
ocscottie
12/10/2010 7:47pm
What exactly were CP's injuries? I remember they were severe I just don't know exactly what it was?
He fractured his sacrum, one of the bones very low on the spinal column and it caused some paralysis. He was fortunate enough to walk again, let alone ride, especially at the level he does.
TerryB
12/10/2010 8:23pm
Karma wrote:
I like Pourcel, I think he adds a lot to our sport, he is a different cat with a different kind of personality, Its a nice...
I like Pourcel, I think he adds a lot to our sport, he is a different cat with a different kind of personality, Its a nice change to the same ole apple guys. His riding is incredible and he is a very bright guy.
As for Jeremy, holding a grudge over something so petty is a bit much. why would you want to make a public announcement that you don't like someone. Forgive and forget for crying out loud.
RIght there. MC's ego is getting in the way.

BTW: Reed emulated Jeremy. That's where he learned to make excuses.

MDMCG
12/10/2010 8:24pm
ocscottie wrote:
He fractured his sacrum, one of the bones very low on the spinal column and it caused some paralysis. He was fortunate enough to walk again...
He fractured his sacrum, one of the bones very low on the spinal column and it caused some paralysis. He was fortunate enough to walk again, let alone ride, especially at the level he does.
And he has autonomic nervous system issues, which is why he still has bowel complications. Cracking a bone in the neck is nothing like what he had.

CP>>>>>>JM's injuries.
DBerg
12/10/2010 8:47pm
Shawn142 wrote:
I think this is sort of the point, Pourcel doesn't speak to anyone period. Since Pala he has done no English press interviews, in fact turning...
I think this is sort of the point, Pourcel doesn't speak to anyone period. Since Pala he has done no English press interviews, in fact turning down all the people who want to give him one to speak his side. He has turned down both Transworld and RacerX, instead opting to let a vague press release and his agent speak for him. So that mixed with rumor is the only information we have to go on for him. That's good and great, but it does nothing to help his image with teams, racers, or fans. And maybe he doesn't care.. but to survive in the world, and yes pro racing, you have to go along to get along.

This sport gets TV coverage, magazines, and the like but it doesn't change the facts about how small it is. The traveling circus that is AMA pro racing involves just hundreds of people, not thousands. And if you continue to step on toes, be difficult and stand-offish, that gets noticed by everyone. Winning alone doesn't make a factory interested enough to hire or keep you. JS7 won a title for Kawi in his departing year but they went with RV instead. But being liked and respected has kept someone like KW in a good paying job for years despite no premier class titles.
Oh for sure. Like I said, if you're one of the top guys you have to expect people to talk about you. If you don't give very much info, of course people will try to fill in the blanks, but that doesn't mean it's always true. Also, you definitely need to make yourself available to keep certain doors open, but at the same time, I can respect that he doesn't want to be in the spot light. I mean that's all it really is. Who's toes has he stepped on? From most interviews I've seen, they say CP is a pretty cool guy but he likes his privacy. Personally, I totally understand. I would never want to be a famous person, but unfortunately for CP he didn't pick a career that he can have that anonymity at his level.
I dunno, just me personally, I respect someone that likes their privacy more so than an attention whore (not saying MC is one, just to clear that up). I like Pourcel and hope he'll be lined up at A1. I mean all the poeple that talk crap about him for the possibility of him not racing, they must like him afterall. Just like JS not racing outdoors. If the people really didn't like them, they wouldn't care if they weren't there (just like how I feel about J-Law), but all of us moto fans just want to see the best beating the best. Hopefully we'll get that in 2011.

P.S. Maybe I'm just tired (finals week) but I feel like my whole post went off on some tangent that doesn't really pertain to or respond to your post very much... I'm just spouting off a bunch of BS at this point, haha. Good night everybody Smile
BobbyM
12/10/2010 8:58pm
DBerg wrote:
I doubt him and Pourcel talk very much about whats going on in their lives, and I'm pretty sure contract negotiations are confidential between the team...
"pretty sure"..."seems"..."assumptions"?

big fucking deal..."i'm pretty sure".

you really don't know shit do you? yer entire statement is an assumption...kinda like mc's rant eh?

afuckingmazing....

Post a reply to: The King has spoken

The Latest