The JGR Dilemma

davistld01
A post in a thread about silly season I started got me wondering what's up with JGR?

Here is a team that, on the outside looks like the ultimate Dream Team. It's no secret that funds are not an issue...and that can't be said about any other "Second Tier Team". They have the ability to fabricate virtually any part on the bike that they want...everything that any factory team can mount on their bikes, and more. They have some of the top technicians and engineers in the industry...and have access to NASCAR technology. Read any magazine test of a JGR Yamaha...and everyone says the bike is a rocketship that rivals anything inside any factory semi.

So, why can't JGR "buy" a championship? Hell, there have been more top-tier riders either leave JGR or be let go from JGR that are knocking at their door to enlist...or so it seems. Justin Barcia was supposed to be Coy Gibbs' ticket...and so far, Justin has not delivered. He has recently openly criticized the JGR Yamaha in an interview...and although JGR has extended his contract, you have to ask yourself "why"? He even took out his teammate a week ago, and nothing was ever said about it...at least publicly. Is Barcia frustrated? Unhappy?

It seems that the team is a hush-hush deal, and nobody really knows if there are issues there or not.

It just makes you wonder how, if teams like RCH, Geico, Rockstar Husqvarna, and Star Yamaha have all been so successful...what is the deal with JGR? I'm sure the usuals will claim that it's the Yamaha that's at fault...but others have done well on it, and it can't be such a turd that JGR can't fix it.

Opinions?

|
Xeno
7/6/2016 4:06pm
You forgot to mention Bubba.
gt80rider
7/6/2016 4:07pm
They have invested a ton with no championships to show for it, you would think heads would roll at some point...
kkawboy14
7/6/2016 4:09pm
Why can't Yoshimira Suzuki
Why can't Factory Honda
Why can't Pro Circuit

Oh yeah, because of Dungey and Roczen
Alex814
7/6/2016 4:10pm
If you have these kind of thoughts about JGR I'm curious how you feel about Factory Honda.

The Shop

Starcrossed
7/6/2016 4:13pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Why can't Yoshimira Suzuki
Why can't Factory Honda
Why can't Pro Circuit

Oh yeah, because of Dungey and Roczen
Boom.

And before them, Villo
agn5009
7/6/2016 4:14pm
davistld01 wrote:
A post in a thread about silly season I started got me wondering what's up with JGR? Here is a team that, on the outside looks...
A post in a thread about silly season I started got me wondering what's up with JGR?

Here is a team that, on the outside looks like the ultimate Dream Team. It's no secret that funds are not an issue...and that can't be said about any other "Second Tier Team". They have the ability to fabricate virtually any part on the bike that they want...everything that any factory team can mount on their bikes, and more. They have some of the top technicians and engineers in the industry...and have access to NASCAR technology. Read any magazine test of a JGR Yamaha...and everyone says the bike is a rocketship that rivals anything inside any factory semi.

So, why can't JGR "buy" a championship? Hell, there have been more top-tier riders either leave JGR or be let go from JGR that are knocking at their door to enlist...or so it seems. Justin Barcia was supposed to be Coy Gibbs' ticket...and so far, Justin has not delivered. He has recently openly criticized the JGR Yamaha in an interview...and although JGR has extended his contract, you have to ask yourself "why"? He even took out his teammate a week ago, and nothing was ever said about it...at least publicly. Is Barcia frustrated? Unhappy?

It seems that the team is a hush-hush deal, and nobody really knows if there are issues there or not.

It just makes you wonder how, if teams like RCH, Geico, Rockstar Husqvarna, and Star Yamaha have all been so successful...what is the deal with JGR? I'm sure the usuals will claim that it's the Yamaha that's at fault...but others have done well on it, and it can't be such a turd that JGR can't fix it.

Opinions?

Bingo. It was all about Kawi and Suzuki when RV and RD were winning. Now it's all about Suzuki and KTM. If they want a championship then they need to fork out a shit ton of money for one of those two. No one else right now can even win a single race, so no one other than RD and KR even stand a realistic chance of winning a championship.
davistld01
7/6/2016 4:25pm
Alex814 wrote:
If you have these kind of thoughts about JGR I'm curious how you feel about Factory Honda.
Factory Honda has a championship or two under their belts.
rhargrave431
7/6/2016 4:31pm
I personally think they are making too drastic of changes. Yamaha R&D put a ton of time and design into the bike, so jgr making their changes, just doesn't work well.
JustMX
7/6/2016 4:35pm
Alex814 wrote:
davistld01 wrote:
Factory Honda has a championship or two under their belts.
Yeah, but not since the 1990's in the premier class.
BroFoSho
7/6/2016 4:38pm
Barcia's contract goes thru 2018 and he signed it in 2014, don't know what you mean by extending it?
BroFoSho
7/6/2016 4:41pm
JustMX wrote:
Well... there was this dude named Carmichael.

But yeah... 12 years without a title must be a hard pill to swallow when they won 80-90% of titles from 85' to 05'
EastFlorida
7/6/2016 4:43pm
I expect JGR to be out of MX soon. Sad, but that's what I suspect...
Roostermx58
7/6/2016 4:44pm
BroFoSho wrote:
Barcia's contract goes thru 2018 and he signed it in 2014, don't know what you mean by extending it?
He signed a 2 year deal in 2014 and resigned this year thru 2018.
7/6/2016 4:44pm
This is why. I must say that Barcia does a good job of holding onto that thing...did you guys see that beast try to buck him over the bars on the broadcast? JGR needs a new 450. Anything but Blue.

aeffertz
7/6/2016 4:50pm
The bike seemed to be awesome for him when he won those motos last year and was shredding at the MXoN.

It's not the bike, it's the rider(s).
kiwifan
7/6/2016 5:18pm
aeffertz wrote:
The bike seemed to be awesome for him when he won those motos last year and was shredding at the MXoN. It's not the bike, it's...
The bike seemed to be awesome for him when he won those motos last year and was shredding at the MXoN.

It's not the bike, it's the rider(s).
it is also bike setup, the bike was clearly setup well when Barcia won some motos last year....but it seems to be a bit of a bucking bronco this year. Whether or not this is the bike or rider fault is moot.
kkawboy14
7/6/2016 5:21pm
JustMX wrote:
BroFoSho wrote:
Well... there was this dude named Carmichael. But yeah... 12 years without a title must be a hard pill to swallow when they won 80-90% of...
Well... there was this dude named Carmichael.

But yeah... 12 years without a title must be a hard pill to swallow when they won 80-90% of titles from 85' to 05'
RC won on everything!
Sully
7/6/2016 5:22pm
I wonder if they've ever thought about going the MotoConcepts route and just shake any factory support so their guys can ride what they're comfortable on. If they have the budget and in-house capabilities to make the bikes whatever they want, why limit your riders to one brand?
Alex814
7/6/2016 5:22pm
Couldn't he run the same bike as last year? What about all that good testing he mentioned happened from racing in September last year, going into 2016? The issue is only Barcia at this point in my opinion. He was on another level from where he's at now. With that said, Redbud was not terrible by any means for him.
Money
7/6/2016 5:23pm
They don't have the right staff there is. They need to stop trying to reinvent the bike and just keep it simple. Just my 2 cents.
steve_97060
7/6/2016 5:24pm
This is why. I must say that Barcia does a good job of holding onto that thing...did you guys see that beast try to buck him...
This is why. I must say that Barcia does a good job of holding onto that thing...did you guys see that beast try to buck him over the bars on the broadcast? JGR needs a new 450. Anything but Blue.

can't you come up with anything new, the non stop bashing gets old. we get it, you don't like the yamaha.
Titan1
7/6/2016 5:30pm
davistld01 wrote:
A post in a thread about silly season I started got me wondering what's up with JGR? Here is a team that, on the outside looks...

Opinions?

I think that will depend on if their sponsors stop paying their bills or not...I think it's a business first to Coach Gibbs...and as soon as it becomes unprofitable, then they'll kill the team.

But as long as their sponsors continue to pay the bills they'll be around.

I think the Gibbs have a different mentality than us Moto guys...like in nascar...they know that a 10th or a 15th is a great result, and that is the expectations they give their sponsors. It's only us Moto guys that think anything besides a podium is subpar...so their sponsors are likely happy with their results, and will keep writing checks (at least to date...since they are still around).
500guy
7/6/2016 5:55pm
I think you guy's have it backwards, I heard JGR butts heads with Japan and is forced to run parts they don't want.

JGR will win a championship when they get a James Stewart type talent who's on his way up not out.

I think Eastflorida is correct, people will bad mouth and use JGR until they realize there are better places to put their money.
KBOLTZ
7/6/2016 6:05pm
Its the setup man.... SETUP.
7/6/2016 6:11pm
They were probably banking on signing Webb until factory yamaha came back into the picture...
c3011
7/6/2016 6:16pm
Isn't there some sort of relationship between Toyota & Yamaha which is probably dictating what bikes JGR can use? Also, as long as Toyota has the interest in MX/SX that they do the JGR team will be around.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
7/6/2016 6:30pm
Hang on guys, I need to head to the store to stock up on popcorn.
7/6/2016 6:39pm
davistld01 wrote:

Opinions?

To expand on this, that's the negative about being the "step-sister" team to the factory. If the factory team wants, the factory team gets! Grinning Webb actually was going to go to JGR until factory Yamaha snagged him, I heard Yamaha even wants another full time 450 guy which will most likely be Bogle.
kiwifan
7/6/2016 6:44pm
GuyB wrote:
I hope you get a lot Smile
steve_97060
7/6/2016 6:45pm
GuyB wrote:
could you grab me a six pack of Hefe while you are there, thanks.....

Post a reply to: The JGR Dilemma

The Latest