The Innovators and Game Changers of racing

Related:
Create New Tag

7/24/2018 10:41 PM

Just curious to see who feels like which riders and people in the industry brought something to the table that changed racing or upped the ante. Can be good or bad!

In my era, I feel that
McGrath brought style
RC upped the fitness level
Stewart’s scrub changed the way ppl ride
Dungey’s consistency changed the mentality

and Matt Goerke contributed to berm-nets

|

7/24/2018 10:45 PM

Emig and cross jumping

Alessi and starts (and leg blocks during said starts)

DV and sessioning a section

RCH/JGR and private factory teams

Tickle and showing FIM/WADA for the farce it is

|

7/24/2018 10:47 PM

Henry.........

|

7/24/2018 10:50 PM

milliebays wrote:

Emig and cross jumping

Alessi and starts (and leg blocks during said starts)

DV and sessioning a section

RCH/JGR and ...more

Those are some pretty good ones actually. I hadn’t thought of how private factory teams have come into play with Suzuki the past few years. And the starting blocks. Speaking of starts, I wonder who made holeshot devices a thing?

|

7/24/2018 10:51 PM

Doddy wrote:

Henry.........

Henry and 4 strokes?

|

7/24/2018 10:52 PM

RV and steering with the rear tire

|

7/24/2018 11:14 PM

Marvin Musquin and trying your best

|

7/24/2018 11:31 PM

BS12 wrote:

Marvin Musquin and trying your best

LMAO

|

7/25/2018 4:58 AM

Bradshaw, Chicken, and L.Ward moving up to the 250's in 1990 put the Block pass on a whole new level.

|

Name withheld... Esquire

7/25/2018 5:16 AM

In the USA Bob Hannah was the original game changer. He set the bar for fitness and being smart with contracts. There is always all this talk about how "fit" these guys are now but in reality it is not a new thing. There was an era when fitness took a back seat (Mcgrath era) but then RC basically followed Hannah's blueprint and brought fitness and determination back to the forefront. Hannah also was the first guy (imho) to take control of his destiny regarding contracts and how he interacted with the factories. He had the upper hand and he used it to his advantage.

|

7/25/2018 5:41 AM

motomike137 wrote:

In the USA Bob Hannah was the original game changer. He set the bar for fitness and being smart with contracts. There is ...more

Yeah wasn't he still getting a paycheck from Yamaha during his first year at Honda ?

|

7/25/2018 6:31 AM

motomike137 wrote:

In the USA Bob Hannah was the original game changer. He set the bar for fitness and being smart with contracts. There is ...more

ATKpilot99 wrote:

Yeah wasn't he still getting a paycheck from Yamaha during his first year at Honda ?

After he retired, he was still getting a check from Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki.

|

7/25/2018 6:38 AM

motomike137 wrote:

ATKpilot99 wrote:

JBlain619 wrote:

After he retired, he was still getting a check from Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki.

That my friends is why the Hurricane is a freakin' legend!!

|

7/25/2018 6:46 AM

Pro Circuit!!!!

|

7/25/2018 6:50 AM

Jeff Glass and outside industry sponsorship.

|

7/25/2018 6:56 AM

Dungey not trying to win every race but win championships by being consistent...and being super pumped
Ricky bringing training to a new level and now eating cheeseburgers to a new level. haha

|

7/25/2018 6:57 AM

ga_pike wrote:

Jeff Glass and outside industry sponsorship.

Surf Detergent

I remember him being interviewed at the Silverdome before a race and he finished up with "Im Jeff Glass and I'm here to kick ass"!

|

7/25/2018 8:21 AM

My vote goes to JS7 and RC. James for the style and techniques, and Ricky for the fitness and training. These two made the largest impact on riding as we currently know it, in my opinion.

|

7/25/2018 8:27 AM

Zaugg wrote:

Dungey not trying to win every race but win championships by being consistent...and being super pumped
Ricky bringing training ...more

Dude RC has gotten a lil chunky for sure. But if anyone has earned the right to eat those cheeseburgers, it’s the GOAT

|

7/25/2018 8:32 AM

Slater skins laughing

|

7/25/2018 8:33 AM

Ryan Dungey and the "Rookie Wonder" first year 450 champ phenomenon, which led to lots of hype and high expectations for subsequent lites grads

Chad Reed, showing you're never too old to compete

Zach Osborne, the late bloomer who gives so-so young riders hope for the future

Justin Barcia, who shows that hitting rock bottom (or at least the moto version of it) is sometimes the best medicine for a stalled career

Weston Peick, the wide-biked teflon badass

|

BT20 👉 02/20/20 👉#TICKLETIMEBITCHES

7/25/2018 8:46 AM

Mike_Frisk wrote:

Pro Circuit!!!!

First team with a semi truck I believe.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

7/25/2018 9:06 AM

Joey Savagty, who Shoulda-Woulda-Coulda

Blake Baggett, showing pride comes before a fall

Austin Forkner, whose flashes of brilliance combined with boneheaded mistakes show exactly why the 250 "lites" class should exist (yes, there have been MANY of his kind over the years)

Cooper Webb, who got 4 touchdowns in one game once and is still trying to rise to the occasion

Ken Roczen, who is so damned talented he can compete for wins with not 1, but 2 bad arms

|

BT20 👉 02/20/20 👉#TICKLETIMEBITCHES

7/25/2018 9:16 AM

Mike_Frisk wrote:

Pro Circuit!!!!

-MAVERICK- wrote:

First team with a semi truck I believe.

Almost, the kawi truck in 91 was the first one I believe and super bad ass too.

Initial PC set up in 91, @3.05, and kawi set up @5.33 behind I think mxkied's testarossa smile

Enjoy, those are nice vids ! smile
|

7/25/2018 9:26 AM

DeCal for being the breakthrough brand for customized moto graphics

One Ind gear 5 years ago for beginning the plain colors revolution

Knich for revalidating that our sport is dying for any cash whatsoever

See See in Oregon for proving a motorcycle dealership can be cool, inspired, and have hardcore rider and enthusiast employees

Motosport for being the original and now leader in eCommerce

Rupert X. Pellett for being Rupert X. Pellett

|

7/25/2018 9:28 AM

A lot of great examples so far.

It's premature now, but when all is said and done I think Herlings will be on this type of list. He is pushing at a level that just doesn't seem possible, and he still seems to be finding a higher ceiling.

|

7/25/2018 10:19 AM

Pro-Circuit, namely Mitch, definitely changed the game in the 90's and early 2000's. No one could touch them until Geico came along, and it took Geico a few years!

Honda was an innovator in the 80's, but it looks like Yamaha has really tried to take over in '98, and now KTM has dominated the 2010's.

If ALTA can get bikes approved for racing, I think they will definitely lead the charge (pun intended) into the 2020's, and for American manufacturers.

|

7/25/2018 10:20 AM

Everts up on pegs style

|

“If you don’t crash alot, you just ain’t going fast enough” Chandler

7/25/2018 10:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2018 10:28 AM

Guy Cooper and the rear brake tap to bring the front tire down when jumping triples (and landing on hay bales)\\

David Baliey (and his dad) - slower is faster

in off-road

Bruce Olgivie on being prepared for the Baja 1000. The pit support is more important than the riders themselves.

Larry Roseler for proving you don't have to be on a big CC bike to win (Eric Halgath continued to prove that)

|

7/25/2018 10:37 AM

Homey55 wrote:

Pro-Circuit, namely Mitch, definitely changed the game in the 90's and early 2000's. No one could touch them until Geico came ...more

Yeah, I’d like to pick Mitch’s brain to see what makes him tick. He’s someone I look up to in the industry.

Bikewise, KTMs electric start and hydraulic clutch is finally catching on.
Yamaha’s WiFi mapping will probably be the future too

If Alta gets approved for racing tho, I think electric bikes will take over like 4 strokes did once the price comes down

|