The Guy Can't Catch A Break~ MD31

rrjr
Edited Date/Time 2/16/2014 2:17pm
Poor Martin Davalos. I'm really starting to feel bad for the guy.

He'll be known as "King of the Heat Races" for the rest of his career.

I wonder who holds the record for the most heat race wins without winning a main?

What's really strange is what you get if you add his number(31) with BB4's number(4) with the number of years he's been racing 250's(9) with the number of times he crashed in the main tonight(2) .

31+4+9+2=46

Who won the race? AC46
|
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
2/15/2014 11:59pm
It's like, once he is in the main, he's a completely different rider. The guy is incredibly quick.
daemon616
2/16/2014 12:15am
I feel bad but after the first lap I turned to my daughter and said "see that guy in the lead? he's going crash" a few laps later she looked at me like I was nostradamus.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
2/16/2014 12:18am
daemon616 wrote:
I feel bad but after the first lap I turned to my daughter and said "see that guy in the lead? he's going crash" a few...
I feel bad but after the first lap I turned to my daughter and said "see that guy in the lead? he's going crash" a few laps later she looked at me like I was nostradamus.
Smile
jeffro503
2/16/2014 12:23am
It has to do with WAY MORE than just luck!

9 years in the lites class.......multiple heat race wins and multiple nights where he has had the fastest lap.

BUT......he can not finish 20 laps! I've never been able to figure out why. Brain fade or something? I have a buddy that has a super fast AM rider and when they head south , sometimes they get to go riding with some of the PC boys. He has said a few different times , that at the practice tracks....MD is just about untouchable there as well.

I'm not sure how many mains I have seen him lead at one time or another , and still not win one. NOT ONE! 9 friggin years! Awesome guy to and very well liked....but the guy can't win a main to save his life! 10 podiums over that period since 06'.

The Shop

struth
2/16/2014 3:24am
HE WILL GET a main event win this year , he recoverd well from crash and got 3rd so he still in shot for the title.
I think if martin can be on box every week, he might not need to win a race to win the 250 title ,with the field that he is racing against.
Martin will get the title this year.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
2/16/2014 3:37am
jeffro503 wrote:
It has to do with WAY MORE than just luck! 9 years in the lites class.......multiple heat race wins and multiple nights where he has had...

9 years in the lites class.......multiple heat race wins and multiple nights where he has had the fastest lap.

BUT......he can not finish 20 laps! I've never been able to figure out why. Brain fade or something? I have a buddy that has a super fast AM rider and when they head south , sometimes they get to go riding with some of the PC boys. He has said a few different times , that at the practice tracks....MD is just about untouchable there as well.

I'm not sure how many mains I have seen him lead at one time or another , and still not win one. NOT ONE! 9 friggin years! Awesome guy to and very well liked....but the guy can't win a main to save his life! 10 podiums over that period since 06'.
It's definitely as though he loses focus. I've been amazed by his speed many times...
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
2/16/2014 3:38am
struth wrote:
HE WILL GET a main event win this year , he recoverd well from crash and got 3rd so he still in shot for the title...
HE WILL GET a main event win this year , he recoverd well from crash and got 3rd so he still in shot for the title.
I think if martin can be on box every week, he might not need to win a race to win the 250 title ,with the field that he is racing against.
Martin will get the title this year.
Flami struth, Alf.
ayearinmx
2/16/2014 3:39am
jeffro503 wrote:
It has to do with WAY MORE than just luck! 9 years in the lites class.......multiple heat race wins and multiple nights where he has had...

I'll tell you why he's never been able to finish 20 laps..... it's because they bring out the chequered flag at 15 Tongue

sorry, had to... haha
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
2/16/2014 3:44am
jeffro503 wrote:

ayearinmx wrote:
I'll tell you why he's never been able to finish 20 laps..... it's because they bring out the chequered flag at 15 :P sorry, had to...
I'll tell you why he's never been able to finish 20 laps..... it's because they bring out the chequered flag at 15 Tongue

sorry, had to... haha
WoohooLaughing
struth
2/16/2014 4:09am
jeffro503 wrote:

ayearinmx wrote:
I'll tell you why he's never been able to finish 20 laps..... it's because they bring out the chequered flag at 15 :P sorry, had to...

sorry, had to... haha
EZZA 95B wrote:
WoohooLaughing
lol
mccread
2/16/2014 4:16am
I feel sorry for him. Could be a confidence thing. AC did it on his first attempt even though Davalos was quicker than him. It has to be mental. AC has that self belief, Davalos doesn't. I really hope he wins one this year.
2/16/2014 4:47am
The guy has talent for sure but the real question is how does a guy not point out in 8 or 9 years in the lights class, that will be a record that will probably never fall.
JJ4
2/16/2014 5:59am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2014 6:01am
daemon616 wrote:
I feel bad but after the first lap I turned to my daughter and said "see that guy in the lead? he's going crash" a few...
I was there with my brother who is a casual sx/mx fan. After his heat and then the start in the main my brother figured Davalos had it in the bag. I said "not so fast, he (unfortunately) has a history of throwing these things away." Well, we all know what happened next and my brother gave me the same look.
2/16/2014 6:41am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2014 7:07am
My theory for a while has been that, for whatever reason, he can't ride a beaten up track fast and consistent for 15 laps when he's been practicing and racing on a manicured track all day getting his lines down. He's fast in practice when the tracks are nice, he's fast in the heats when the track is nice and fresh again but come main event time when it's slick or marble-y or rutted something ALWAYS seems to catch him sleeping a little.

EDIT *Notice how he has never been very relevant on an outdoor track? Even if fitness was an issue he would be able to lead for 10-15 minutes but you hardly ever see that.
motoracer633
2/16/2014 6:44am
I'm of the mind that some how some way he should have pointed out by now. I like MD, it just doesn't seem quite fair.
2/16/2014 7:06am
I'm of the mind that some how some way he should have pointed out by now. I like MD, it just doesn't seem quite fair.
They could always be like GP's and have an U23 rule. I'm sure that would fly over well. Whistling

They (whoever makes up the decision) decided that guys like Stephen Sword or Nico Aubin were older and teams were hiring them based on experience and knowing they could get a solid top 10 finish with them. That was preventing youth's from getting rides and continuing to develop their skills. The older guys were really not progressing they were just taking up a paid seat on the gate and a top 10 finish to stay relevant.

Minus Herlings last year everyone thought the MX2 class sucked but as the season went on there were a few diamonds in the rough and I expect the same this year. I still don't agree with the rule as I think they should have implemented a points system like we have here in SX.
Tumblin
2/16/2014 7:51am
Kind of in his face all of these online and even in the broadcast surveys of who will win the east title and Martin is not on there. I stood up for him and used my "other" option where I could... Call me a hopeless romantic, but I love that guy and really hope the stickier east help him keep the wheels spinning.
JOHN CHOATE
2/16/2014 7:57am
I really hope MD wins at least one this year but I'd still rather see AC take the title. Atlanta will be great.
jeffro503
2/16/2014 9:50am
jeffro503 wrote:

ayearinmx wrote:

sorry, had to... haha
DOH!!.....You're right bud , I totally botched that one! In my head I knew that , but after a few beers and the pure frustration of watching Martin go down again......I was a little fumed last night when I posted that. I would really like to see him put in a full race at the speeds we saw last night. He would of won by 10-15 sec's last night.
MtnBoy
2/16/2014 10:37am
I'd say he keeps catching breaks by getting good rides for the last decade.....
Drtbykr
2/16/2014 10:43am
It's amazing. Hope he gets 1. Must be making MP bald.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
2/16/2014 10:50am
Didn't he win Toronto back in like 06?
500guy
2/16/2014 10:55am
I wish him the best but He has fucked my Fantasy league team every time.
rebus
2/16/2014 10:56am
jeffro503 wrote:

ayearinmx wrote:

sorry, had to... haha
GrinningGrinningGrinningGrinning
2/16/2014 2:04pm
hes not a headcase, hes brilliant.

Think about the rules to stay in the 250f class.

Now think about being a decently if not highly paid rider in that class... that you win heat races, have the fastest time for a decade.... makes you extremely higherable! Why? Everyone knows you CAN win, just have to fix" you. buwahahaha.

He kills it when no points are on the line, then does just enough to justify and "if it weren't for bad luck he would have" and stay in the class, getting paid rider after paid ride. Work the system!

Post a reply to: The Guy Can't Catch A Break~ MD31

The Latest