The Grand Tour

Cliffy615
Fantasy
2899th
Not really moto but who will be signing up to Amazon prime next month for the Grand Tour (new top gear)
I can't wait for it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLtpcxtk4HI
|
Katoomey
10/29/2016 1:28am
i am literally watching top gear right now and I decide to browse around Vital for a minute and this is the fist thread I see. funny...

I will definitely be watching The Grand Tour. been waiting for a while now.
sende
Fantasy
4429th
10/29/2016 3:19am
I've watched every top gear episode at least two times. Some episodes many, many times.. for example the specials.
Can't wait for The Grand Tour to begin.
Motofinne
10/29/2016 3:43am
They are actually filming a segment of The Grand Tour this weekend about 70km from my house at a racing track. Too bad i have to work today and tomorrow since it would have been a great opportunity to take a sneak peak!
sende
Fantasy
4429th
10/29/2016 4:56am
Motofinne wrote:
They are actually filming a segment of The Grand Tour this weekend about 70km from my house at a racing track. Too bad i have to...
They are actually filming a segment of The Grand Tour this weekend about 70km from my house at a racing track. Too bad i have to work today and tomorrow since it would have been a great opportunity to take a sneak peak!
Where exactly?

The Shop

Motofinne
10/29/2016 5:01am
Motofinne wrote:
They are actually filming a segment of The Grand Tour this weekend about 70km from my house at a racing track. Too bad i have to...
sende wrote:
Where exactly?
Botniaring!
sende
Fantasy
4429th
10/29/2016 5:09am
Motofinne wrote:
sende wrote:
Where exactly?
Motofinne wrote:
Botniaring!
Ok. That's cool and did not know that at all.
I'm about 150km away and just opened this days first beer (more to come), so I guess I'm not going there either. Grinning
visser62
10/29/2016 8:42am
I am so excited for The Grand Tour.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
10/29/2016 9:01am
I'm excited about The Grand Tour as well! I stopped watching BBC after they canned Clarkson. Top Gear was always one of my favorite shows.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
10/29/2016 10:09am
I'm a massive Top Gear fan, enough so that their Vietnam special has inspired me to do the same trip this next year... WoohooBlink
shuggs
10/29/2016 11:41am
ML512 wrote:
I'm a massive Top Gear fan, enough so that their Vietnam special has inspired me to do the same trip this next year... WoohooBlink
What? Build a bloody wonky bridge
ML512
Fantasy
45th
10/29/2016 12:06pm
shuggs wrote:
Wrong place. The Vietnam special they ride motorcycles from the far South in Saigon to the far North in Hai Long Bay.
AzTrooper
10/29/2016 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2016 12:18pm
shuggs wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Wrong place. The Vietnam special they ride motorcycles from the far South in Saigon to the far North in Hai Long Bay.
"That rain makes a really annoying noise on my colander .... helmet" Captain Slow
My DVR is 95% full and its all Top Gear. The good stuff not the new ones or US ones Smile
John
ML512
Fantasy
45th
10/29/2016 12:55pm
AzTrooper wrote:
"That rain makes a really annoying noise on my colander .... helmet" Captain Slow My DVR is 95% full and its all Top Gear. The good...
"That rain makes a really annoying noise on my colander .... helmet" Captain Slow
My DVR is 95% full and its all Top Gear. The good stuff not the new ones or US ones Smile
John
The gifts they buy each other on that trip crack me up!
Motovet45
10/29/2016 1:36pm
Won tickets from Amazon for the Southern California taping of Grand Tour. Took my son and a couple moto buddies and had a good time, really looking forward to Nov 18th.
10/29/2016 5:49pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2016 5:52pm
I think we'll see more exciting stuff out of the guys, I can't help but think the BBC kept them reigned in pretty well and they'll be able to do more of their ideas freely now.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
10/29/2016 6:58pm
ML512 wrote:
That's one of my favorite episodes. I'll join you and ride the mini bike with the national anthem playing if you need the motivation!

Other favorites were the caravan creations with the high rise that tipped over and the sports train racing past scum class.
Gazza
10/30/2016 2:09am
ML512 wrote:
Definitely do it, it's pretty beautiful countryside. I was there a few days ago but couldn't convince the missus to ride on the back for so long! Did at least manage to ride around a few places in the north though.
Robgvx
12/7/2016 8:13am
So what do we think after three episodes?

It's on Kodi by the way, if you don't have Amazon.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
12/7/2016 8:17am
If you have a 4K HDR TV the picture quality is incredible! I like the show. It's very much like Top Gear. I wish they had a different timed lap driver though. "The American" is too forced.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
12/7/2016 9:59am
Robgvx wrote:
So what do we think after three episodes?

It's on Kodi by the way, if you don't have Amazon.
I love it... Other than "The American" test driver. It's going to run out material too quickly, they need a different "personality" for that segment.
mumbles
Fantasy
667th
12/7/2016 10:36am
I really like the first one. Thought it was really cool how they all drive up and look at each other without saying anything. I don't like the celebrity segment where they just kill off the celeb before they make it on the show. Funny the first time but not every show. I really like the celebrity lap from the old show. Maybe there is some reason why they can't do it on this show and that's why they are doing it the way they are.

runic121
Fantasy
1896th
12/7/2016 10:40am Edited Date/Time 12/7/2016 10:46am
--
steveyd
12/7/2016 10:52am
Stoked at the return of the real deal, brand name and "network" aside.

It does seem a little stiff, though, thus far, with the script showing through the banter.

Of course, it's always been scripted (Top Gear) but the seams didn't show, as it were.

They've still got Richard Porter as the script doctor, and Jezza is doubtless still laying awake at night agonizing over the details, as ever, but I'm looking forward — and trusting — that it'll get better as it loosens up.

In classic TG episodes — mostly to be found in seasons 6 through 18, which is a hell of a run — it seemed more like they were just throwing the "lads" into situations and letting the hilarity ensue. Seasons 21 and 22 seemed to be a little flat at times, and I certainly continue to hope that the "new" format (not so much, obviously) will breathe a little new life into the old boys.

Beyond the opening scene, first episode was good but not great. (Best part for me beyond Jeremy smiling as Hammond and May pulled alongside in the Mustangs was Captain Slow showing up at the track with the Ferrari in a transport truck "unexpectedly" and then the other two freezing him out of the first two challenges.)

Second episode wasn't, particularly, well, good. (The whole sketch thing could have been vastly improved, IMHO, by having a couple of other cars aside from the Audi and throwing a bit of an actual car shoot-out into the scripted pretend shoot-outs.) I got the whole premise, but I didn't much care for the Tom Cruise movie in the first place and I don't play Call of Duty, so, well, yeah....

Third episode was more what I've always loved about the show, but could have been still better with the inclusion of producer-type "challenges." Seemed like they were just meandering along without any real purpose, and Hammond's antics wore a little thin after awhile. Again, just my opinion. Still, much closer to the mark. (Instead of cutting the painting — a gag used before — Hamster shoulda just shrugged and threw it into the tire truck. Then cut to Clarkson and May being miffed at the easy solution....)

Definitely hoping for a little cheap car challenge-type mucking about in upcoming episodes.

Without a doubt, the cinematography has been epic, as expected. The closing shots in episode one of the "trinity" drifting in close succession, beautiful.

The American schtick I can do without. Not sold yet on the ebola track, but the old TG track didn't seem that cool early on either. Definitely had more room for the cars to roam though.

And I expect they'll eventually just kill the killing the guest star joke, as it is really only sort of funny (barely) if it involves a parachute gag or the like. Maybe the jet ski thing in the next episode (probably, anyway) will be okay. Death by rattlesnake, lions, or sea gulls? Meh.

Oh, and the drone gags have been pretty good. As a recurring theme, sure, keep that.

To each his own and all that, but my favorite episodes of the old series were either the silly stuff like making a train-car or the really epic stuff like taking a truck to the North Pole or the combination of both, like Jeremy racing May and Hammond in a car versus a bullet train or private plane.

And yeah Michael, Viet Nam special was awesome. The Bolivia special too. And the one where they got stoned in Alabama. (Not that kind of stoned.)
jevyguy
12/7/2016 10:56am
ML512 wrote:
One of the best!
StretchASU
12/7/2016 1:27pm
Anything is better than The Replacements: BBC Edition so I give it a thumbs up.

Years ago when they were filming the Blue Ridge Parkway/N. Wilkesboro speedway segment, I was living in Boone, NC and had my M3. I got a text saying there were 3 sportscars being followed around out on the parkway and 421 by a camera truck. Of course I had to investigate. After not having much luck, I remember driving back up into town and seeing the 3 of them blast down a section of 421 between Deep Gap and North Wilkesboro on the way to the track just jackassing around. The funniest part was the section they were on is notorious for speed traps and has a good section to hit triple digits with ease. Slight jealousy set in.
AzTrooper
12/7/2016 3:45pm
I love the show and Im super happy to see them back on the air doing what they do best and having a blast doing it. Im not a fan of The American either however but it is nothing that affects my enjoyment of the show. Anyway he is a new addition and maybe with a bit of time and adjusting or tweaking it will work out. As for the celebrity deaths. I read a story by Grand Tour that mentioned that they had the celebrities scheduled and already interviewed to be on the show but the BBC threw a fit over it threatening legal action and such saying that Grand Tour is not allowed to do celebrity interviews and or have them drive on a track because they feel that those things are kind of the domain of Top Gear. Heck they can't even use a hand written leader/lap time board hence the digital screen. It kind of looks like the celebrity deaths are the GTs way of letting fans know what petty,childish idiots the BBC are. It seems the BBC is throwing its weight around threatening lawsuits if GT does anything that can be construed to be "owned" by Top Gear"
John

Post a reply to: The Grand Tour

The Latest