The Elephant in the room....VitalMX Forum search feature

Edited Date/Time 2/22/2020 3:04pm
Alright VitalMX, it's 2020 and the search feature on your site sucks big ones....

How many of you have tried to search for an old thread and just gave up because your search leads to nowhere? Do we need to put together a VitalMX gofundme page to activate this feature?

Here's what I get when I search for "Barcia":

Poll

VitalMX forum search feature?

Choices
|
aeffertz
2/9/2020 1:27pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2020 1:37pm
It pulls up plenty of stuff but the problem is not being able to sort the results in any certain way. Would be nice if there was a Sort by New -> Old and such..

The first few results that you posted are paid ad space, not going to get rid of those spots.
Leedle
2/9/2020 1:29pm
While yes, search could be better, even a big website like Reddit's search feature sucks. Probably not an easy thing to do, and maybe quite expensive? Not really sure the ins and outs of search engines.

What works good though is to use Google. Just type in "barcia vitalmx" and you should get what you're looking for.
orange_44
2/9/2020 1:30pm
aeffertz wrote:
It pulls up plenty of stuff but the problem is not being able to sort the results in any certain way. Would be nice if there...
It pulls up plenty of stuff but the problem is not being able to sort the results in any certain way. Would be nice if there was a Sort by New -> Old and such..

The first few results that you posted are paid ad space, not going to get rid of those spots.
Why not? Other forums I use don’t have paid ad shit when I search for stuff in the forum.

The Shop

zehn
2/9/2020 1:32pm
I've been on internet forums of all different kinds for almost 20 years and I've NEVER seen or used a quality search function. Take that for what it's worth
2/9/2020 1:36pm
zehn wrote:
I've been on internet forums of all different kinds for almost 20 years and I've NEVER seen or used a quality search function. Take that for...
I've been on internet forums of all different kinds for almost 20 years and I've NEVER seen or used a quality search function. Take that for what it's worth
Same here but in my 20 years I've seen and used plenty of sites with great search features so we must be on different interwebs Smile
aeffertz
2/9/2020 1:37pm
orange_44 wrote:
Why not? Other forums I use don’t have paid ad shit when I search for stuff in the forum.
Ads = revenue.
Leedle
2/9/2020 1:40pm
aeffertz wrote:
Ads = revenue.
This. Those ads help keep the site running.
orange_44
2/9/2020 1:45pm
aeffertz wrote:
Ads = revenue.
There’s plenty of fucking ads on this site to keep it running. The site I’m referring to has been running for years without those ad dollars clogging up the search for the actual site. You don’t need to sell out everywhere.
plowboy
2/9/2020 1:48pm
Are you kidding me! This is 2020. We want a functioning search function and we want it now. Chop chop GuyB. BTW, what are we searching for? I'm just joshing but since I have no computer skills at all...I don't know what I'd do with another function I don't understand. Carry on.
orange_44
2/9/2020 1:50pm

See, an easy search feature with one ad that’s not a garbled mess and also an advanced search if you need it. Not hard
RandyS
2/9/2020 2:19pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2020 2:20pm
Pretty sure the current search is a slightly modified version of the one I set up almost 20 years ago because Motodrive had none. Vital Media Network is a legitimate publishing company, no excuse for the sorry search.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
2/9/2020 2:34pm
I Have tried to search for stuff and I agree with you
There is some really great information on here. But it is extremely hard to find.
early
Fantasy
2212th
2/9/2020 2:35pm
zehn wrote:
I've been on internet forums of all different kinds for almost 20 years and I've NEVER seen or used a quality search function. Take that for...
Rctech has a great search function.
RandyS
2/9/2020 2:37pm
I don't know if this poll was started as a result of the post I made a couple of hours ago or it was just a coincidence but either way, I saw a post about Dave McCoy this morning from a snowboard friend so I quickly scanned the forum to see if there was already a post about his passing. I didn't see anything within the last 10 hours of so. I went to the search and got nothing so I made a post. Another coincidence, a comment was added to a post from yesterday titled Mammoth Mountain a minute before I hit send, the last reply prior to that was 12 hours earlier so it showed up as "a day ago". So both posts immediately came up at the top. I just searched again a minute ago and my post titled Dave McCoy comes up first. So the current search only searches titles, I can go to Thumpertalk or a couple of Audi forums that I rely on and find anything I need regardless of title. So it's not that the search outright sucks, it's that it's set to only search titles, I'm sure there is a setting to search all content.
aeffertz
2/9/2020 2:47pm
RandyS wrote:
I don't know if this poll was started as a result of the post I made a couple of hours ago or it was just a...
I don't know if this poll was started as a result of the post I made a couple of hours ago or it was just a coincidence but either way, I saw a post about Dave McCoy this morning from a snowboard friend so I quickly scanned the forum to see if there was already a post about his passing. I didn't see anything within the last 10 hours of so. I went to the search and got nothing so I made a post. Another coincidence, a comment was added to a post from yesterday titled Mammoth Mountain a minute before I hit send, the last reply prior to that was 12 hours earlier so it showed up as "a day ago". So both posts immediately came up at the top. I just searched again a minute ago and my post titled Dave McCoy comes up first. So the current search only searches titles, I can go to Thumpertalk or a couple of Audi forums that I rely on and find anything I need regardless of title. So it's not that the search outright sucks, it's that it's set to only search titles, I'm sure there is a setting to search all content.
It pulls from titles and comments but it just plops them all together in no order at all. I Wish it had a way to sort the results and an advanced search option to search by user, search titles only, etc.
oldblood
2/9/2020 3:12pm
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you Randy. When can you start?
Monte122
2/9/2020 3:26pm
What do y’all search for in old threads anyway, just curious.
I’m sure the people that search for old threads is just to find something to prove someone wrong
early
Fantasy
2212th
2/9/2020 3:47pm
Monte122 wrote:
What do y’all search for in old threads anyway, just curious. I’m sure the people that search for old threads is just to find something to...
I’m sure the people that search for old threads is just to find something to prove someone wrong
The search function would be most useful for tech help and the classifieds.

You should be able to search for "2002 yz250 jetting" in just the tech help sub-forum.

Or search "yz250" or "alpinestars 10" in the for sale sub-forum and sort by date so you can see the ones listed this week not 2 years ago.
RandyS
2/9/2020 4:56pm
oldblood wrote:
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you Randy. When can you start?

2/9/2020 6:11pm
Monte122 wrote:
What do y’all search for in old threads anyway, just curious. I’m sure the people that search for old threads is just to find something to...
For me it was for a few things I tried to search for recently. One of them was a thread about "cutting the cord" from Satellite cable TV in Non-moto. I was looking for some information on Youtube TV and Hulu.

I've also tried to search for thread in Bike Builds or Old School Moto that have information on specific bikes for restoration, parts, and modifications.

In Moto related most recently I was searching for a helmet thread where helmets were being discussed.

It can be a very useful tool that can provide you or others some great information when you need it, but it's non existent on Vital. Hopefully they can integrate it in the future.
Monte122
2/9/2020 6:23pm
Monte122 wrote:
For me it was for a few things I tried to search for recently. One of them was a thread about "cutting the cord" from Satellite...
For me it was for a few things I tried to search for recently. One of them was a thread about "cutting the cord" from Satellite cable TV in Non-moto. I was looking for some information on Youtube TV and Hulu.

I've also tried to search for thread in Bike Builds or Old School Moto that have information on specific bikes for restoration, parts, and modifications.

In Moto related most recently I was searching for a helmet thread where helmets were being discussed.

It can be a very useful tool that can provide you or others some great information when you need it, but it's non existent on Vital. Hopefully they can integrate it in the future.
Fair enough!
2/9/2020 8:01pm
Also, there's a thread somewhere I believe in Moto Related that discussed different techniques of tying bikes down in pickup beds....some guys angle the front tire into the corner of the bed and said they can haul ass off road without flinging the bikes out of the truck bed....

If anyone is familiar with this thread or can find it I would greatly appreciate a link.
aeffertz
2/9/2020 8:03pm
Also, there's a thread somewhere I believe in Moto Related that discussed different techniques of tying bikes down in pickup beds....some guys angle the front tire...
Also, there's a thread somewhere I believe in Moto Related that discussed different techniques of tying bikes down in pickup beds....some guys angle the front tire into the corner of the bed and said they can haul ass off road without flinging the bikes out of the truck bed....

If anyone is familiar with this thread or can find it I would greatly appreciate a link.
2/9/2020 8:07pm
Also, there's a thread somewhere I believe in Moto Related that discussed different techniques of tying bikes down in pickup beds....some guys angle the front tire...

aeffertz wrote:
That's the one...thanks.

Post a reply to: The Elephant in the room....VitalMX Forum search feature

The Latest