The Donovan Mitchell Story.

Related:
Create New Tag

8/14/2018 9:39 PM

Hey there everyone, yesterday I had the pleasure of doing a podcast with Donovan Mitchell 90s moto Phenom, 4 Stroke pioneer and would have been a factory star if not for a spinal coard injury in 1999 while preparing for the 2000 Supercross Series.
He would go on to still have a roll in the industry (nonintentional pun right there)
Anyways. Here is a link to Episode 606 of the BigMx Radio Podcast.

http://bigmxradio.com/podcast/episode-606-a-life-in-motocross-with-donovan-mitchell/

Or find it on iTunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/bigmx-radio/id835565469?mt=2&i=1000417788179

I hope this doesn’t get pulled down as Donovan’s story is a special one and I wanted to make sure many people got to listen if they were interested.

|

FACTORYSTOCK204

8/15/2018 5:01 PM

I remember Donovan and his dad, Duffy, from NorCal motocross back in the day. Really nice kid. Gonna definitely listen to this podcast. Thanks.

|

8/15/2018 5:07 PM

I raced against him at the Amateur nationals in the late 90's. Didn't know him much as we were on different teams. Very sad what happened to him. I'm friends with him on FB and he is an inspiration to many.

|

8/15/2018 5:12 PM

Dono still is a bad ass..

RIP Duffy!

|

8/15/2018 6:50 PM

The family was always super nice to everyone, and willing to help anyone.

|

"If you are going through HELL, keep going."-Winston Churchill
"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

8/16/2018 8:59 AM

sparker245 wrote:

I remember Donovan and his dad, Duffy, from NorCal motocross back in the day. Really nice kid. Gonna definitely listen to this podcast. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words. And shoutout of my dad who passed away last year. Please let me know your name.
Cheers man!

|

8/16/2018 9:00 AM

TXDirt wrote:

I raced against him at the Amateur nationals in the late 90's. Didn't know him much as we were on different teams. Very sad what happened to him. I'm friends with him on FB and he is an inspiration to many.

Really appreciate the kind words man. What’s your name?

|

8/16/2018 9:01 AM

slipdog wrote:

Dono still is a bad ass..

RIP Duffy!

Thanks slippy!

|

8/16/2018 9:03 AM

oldblood wrote:

The family was always super nice to everyone, and willing to help anyone.

Right on thanks for sharing nice memories. Truly appreciated!

|

8/16/2018 9:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2018 9:26 AM

Factorystock20495 wrote:

Hey there everyone, yesterday I had the pleasure of doing a podcast with Donovan Mitchell 90s moto Phenom, 4 Stroke pioneer and would have been a factory star if not for a spinal coard injury in 1999 while preparing for the 2000 Supercross Series.
He would go on to still have a roll in the industry (nonintentional pun right there)

http://bigmxradio.com/podcast/episode-606-a-life-in-motocross-with-donovan-mitchell/

Or find it on iTunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/bigmx-radio/id835565469?mt=2&i=1000417788179

I hope this doesn’t get pulled down as Donovan’s story is a special one and I wanted to make sure many people got to listen if they were interested.

Dang...1999. 19 years ago?! It sure doesn't seem like it was that long ago, when I read about it.

|

The message posted above is most likely my opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact....

8/16/2018 9:32 AM

I saw this and thought "non-moto" at first. GO JAZZ!

Photo

|

8/16/2018 11:36 AM

I was there, saw the crash from the helicopter above. That was such a bad crash with all of them together like that.

|

8/16/2018 11:39 AM

Factorystock20495 wrote:

Or find it on iTunes.

huck wrote:

Dang...1999. 19 years ago?! It sure doesn't seem like it was that long ago, when I read about it.

I know, still feels like it was just the other day sometimes.
Cheers man!

|

8/16/2018 11:41 AM

langhammx wrote:

I was there, saw the crash from the helicopter above. That was such a bad crash with all of them together like that.

Wow really! I would love to hear any other details you remember.

|

8/16/2018 12:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2018 1:04 PM

langhammx wrote:

Dono861 wrote:

We were actually up in the Fox helicopter, on a joy ride, when the start of the race left the line... the pilot was in a bank turn above where you guys crashed and I can’t say I saw what caused it. But it was an awful thing to see happen with you guys all carrying so much speed. Complete carnage !!
Side note- Sharron was our AXO rep and was always such a great person to our family. I know you two were close, she talked highly of you at the time.
I’ve talked with you several times over the years, I make it a point to come say hi, when I see you at the races. Hope all is going well bud, Shaun Langham
|

8/17/2018 10:08 AM

langhammx wrote:

Dono861 wrote:

langhammx wrote:
We were actually up in the Fox helicopter, on a joy ride, when the start of the race left the line... the pilot was in a bank turn above where you guys crashed and I can’t say I saw what caused it. But it was an awful thing to see happen with you guys all carrying so much speed. Complete carnage !!
Side note- Sharron was our AXO rep and was always such a great person to our family. I know you two were close, she talked highly of you at the time.
I’ve talked with you several times over the years, I make it a point to come say hi, when I see you at the races. Hope all is going well bud, Shaun Langham

Thanks for sharing those details. And yep I totally remember you. I like the side not about Sharon. Great memories! It’s cool over the years how I randomly have gotten different views from people in separate places of watching. Dang Dirt Bikes can be dangerous LOL And yeah all is well, the injury is always a battle but my BikeNow Motorsports business keeps me busy.

|

3/22/2020 11:10 AM

Remember watching Donovan at Sacramento Raceway Friday nights and always wishing I could be as fast as him lol. Saw him at Washougal in 1996 when he literally smoked everyone in the 125 and 250 intermediate class.

|

3/22/2020 11:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/22/2020 11:52 AM

sparker245 wrote:

Great folks, but what'd you expect? Norcal baby!
👍
My condolences Donavan.

|

3/22/2020 3:20 PM

Dono861 wrote:

I know, still feels like it was just the other day sometimes.
Cheers man!

Dude, i just had my 35 year anniversary on St Patty's day...it does at times feel like yesterday, but on bad days it feels like forever. dizzy

Gonna have a listen tonight, good to see ya around these parts Dono 👍

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

3/22/2020 3:50 PM

Dono! On my way over with some Lemondrankkkkkk
I heard it helps keep the virus away. On my way tough guy

|

3/22/2020 4:13 PM

Dono has always been the guy who makes you smile on a bad day. I can attest to that. He comes from that NorCal group that dominated the racing scene anywhere they showed up. None of them ever had an ego and when they were together lock up your daughters. They all calmed down now. We are not close but he always says hello when we see each other.

|

3/22/2020 4:38 PM

So how is it going

|

"A man needs a little madness or else he never dares cut the rope and be free"-Zorba
Blur the technicolor

3/22/2020 5:40 PM

I have a lot of cool memories of Dono and family. They were always super nice. Good people.

|

Blur the technicolor

3/22/2020 6:26 PM

Hey Dono, what's your favorite trophy (not the most prestigious, but the coolest).

|

Blur the technicolor

3/22/2020 6:31 PM

How about that race Magoo held at Estreet in summer, and the water truck broke, and his solution was to have 45 minute motos. Haha, one of the funnest and gnarliest races ever.

|

Blur the technicolor

3/22/2020 6:51 PM

Thanks for sharing, I will definitely check it out. For those of you who didn’t get to watch him ride, he was very smooth and fast. We had some good times together that I’ll never forget.

|

3/22/2020 7:00 PM

Miss you bro, hope all is good.

|

Blur the technicolor