The Deegan Bike Claim Story - Part 1, 2, and 3 | UPDATE: Brennan's Sponsor Responds | Schofield, Cotter, Burkeen, Deegan, Luce, and Walker

Sore Loser
8/15/2022 7:46pm
MO 23 wrote:
I dont care if he is lying though Dan, He probably is, because its a bad look for him to say "i am claiming the bike...
I dont care if he is lying though Dan,
He probably is, because its a bad look for him to say "i am claiming the bike because my engine builder wants to open up the motor and have a look."

But at the end of the day, that is their prerogative, give them the damn bike.
The rule is there for a reason, the exact reason why Star dont want to hand over the bike. and in the end the kid didnt end up with the bike....

This is a 17 year old kid we are talking about. he is being absolutely rolled through the coals by an industry which has him by the balls, even though he followed the rules exactly.
All because the guys at Star/yamaha/Deegans took a risk and when they got caught out want to take their bat and ball home with them. Whoever pressured this kid into pulling the claim should feel pretty fucking shitty about what is happening to this kid now

Tough shit guys, you should have handed over the bike, you knew the rules, but wanted to have your cake and eat it too
Sore Loser wrote:
You should care if he’s lying. Because if he was lying there, he was also potentially lying elsewhere. Which it turns out he was. Which led...
You should care if he’s lying.

Because if he was lying there, he was also potentially lying elsewhere. Which it turns out he was. Which led to more than a few people taking a rash of undeserved shit.

Why he dropped the claim is the biggest question of all. His own account of Yamaha pressuring his dealer turned out to be pure speculation on his part. So then WHY did he CHOSE to drop the claim??? Because he assumed his dealer was being pressured?

You really don’t understand why the credibility of Saint Brennan is important? For fucks sake his account of the events was the ONLY account we had and it was being treated as full on gospel.
Why do you discredit Brennan’s story while taking the others’ stories as fact? A lot of the specifics in this story are easy to pick apart...
Why do you discredit Brennan’s story while taking the others’ stories as fact?

A lot of the specifics in this story are easy to pick apart to better your argument, but the point stands; he claimed a bike, and didn’t leave with it, due to intervention from a party that wasn’t the AMA.
Because i think it’s only fair that we find out who specifically was responsible for the claim being dropped before going postal on everyone involved.

Crazy concept huh?
8/15/2022 7:47pm
Mike thought it was ok for Yamaha to buy the kid off and essentially bribe him.
But it was not ok to threaten him or his sponsors etc which is essentially extortion.

My question is: if he had reported that he was bribed with crate motors or extorted with threats of sponsorship being revoked to the AMA or MX Sports what would they have done?
mxkid138
8/15/2022 7:47pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 7:52pm
Rallye motoplex and marine is the dealership that pulled support from schofield over this bro show.
sesker15
8/15/2022 7:48pm
ML on behalf of everyone on vital at this moment, can you PLEASE stop “Sore Loser” from posting!!!???
Thanks from everyone in every Bike claim topic!

The Shop

Sore Loser
8/15/2022 7:49pm
Seriously, why wouldn't you pump the brakes knowing you are dealing with a minor and his parent/guardian wasn't available? Makes no sense. You freely admit 3...
Seriously, why wouldn't you pump the brakes knowing you are dealing with a minor and his parent/guardian wasn't available? Makes no sense. You freely admit 3 adults had a "closed door" meeting with a minor. Doesn't matter if the kid lies. This shit stinks to high heaven.
Sore Loser wrote:
“Doesnt matter if the kid lies” is Vital’s version of “Believe all women”.

Classic.
It literally doesn't though. Brennan could say he wanted the bike for the super sick sextuple backflip he pulls all the time when we aren't around...
It literally doesn't though. Brennan could say he wanted the bike for the super sick sextuple backflip he pulls all the time when we aren't around, and his bike claim is just as valid.
Which claim is valid? The bike claim? Or the other claims that led to a mob demanding multiple people lose their jobs and the Deegans banned from racing.
holyroller1
Fantasy
437th
8/15/2022 7:49pm
Sore Loser wrote:
You should care if he’s lying. Because if he was lying there, he was also potentially lying elsewhere. Which it turns out he was. Which led...
You should care if he’s lying.

Because if he was lying there, he was also potentially lying elsewhere. Which it turns out he was. Which led to more than a few people taking a rash of undeserved shit.

Why he dropped the claim is the biggest question of all. His own account of Yamaha pressuring his dealer turned out to be pure speculation on his part. So then WHY did he CHOSE to drop the claim??? Because he assumed his dealer was being pressured?

You really don’t understand why the credibility of Saint Brennan is important? For fucks sake his account of the events was the ONLY account we had and it was being treated as full on gospel.
Why do you discredit Brennan’s story while taking the others’ stories as fact? A lot of the specifics in this story are easy to pick apart...

A lot of the specifics in this story are easy to pick apart to better your argument, but the point stands; he claimed a bike, and didn’t leave with it, due to intervention from a party that wasn’t the AMA.
Sore Loser wrote:
Because i think it’s only fair that we find out who specifically was responsible for the claim being dropped before going postal on everyone involved. Crazy...
Because i think it’s only fair that we find out who specifically was responsible for the claim being dropped before going postal on everyone involved.

Crazy concept huh?
Um, three adults that had a closed door meeting with a minor maybe?
Sore Loser
8/15/2022 7:51pm
MO 23 wrote:
He claimed the bike, 100% within the rules. nobody is denying that Does he have it now? No, he doesn't. Nobody is denying that If he...
He claimed the bike, 100% within the rules. nobody is denying that
Does he have it now? No, he doesn't. Nobody is denying that

If he is lying about his motivation, i dont care, and i dont blame him.

But the indisputable facts are that he claimed the bike within the rules, and he didnt get the bike. and in my opinion that is all that matters....and it stinks. surely you agree with that Dan?

Also, Star borrowed an engine for the last race.....hmmm strange they didnt bring a spare

It matters why he chose to drop the claim.

His credibility matters when hearing his version of why he dropped the claim.

Follow... the... bouncing... ball.
Sore Loser
8/15/2022 7:52pm
Bro, you're insufferable. There is not a single person here that gives a shit about whether Brennan was "lying" or not. The only lie that would...
Bro, you're insufferable. There is not a single person here that gives a shit about whether Brennan was "lying" or not.

The only lie that would matter here is if he really didn't claim the bike and this was all a made-up story. But we know that's not the case. We have multiple parties on record corroborating literally every aspect of his initial story.

You're desperately trying to make Brennan out to be a bad guy here. No one is buying what you're selling, but it's a free world, so keep on trying. It's just rather pathetic.
ALL LIES MATTER
Sore Loser
8/15/2022 7:53pm
And you’re lying if you say my last post wasnt clever. Im laughing out loud right now at it.
8/15/2022 7:54pm
Sore Loser wrote:

Classic.
It literally doesn't though. Brennan could say he wanted the bike for the super sick sextuple backflip he pulls all the time when we aren't around...
It literally doesn't though. Brennan could say he wanted the bike for the super sick sextuple backflip he pulls all the time when we aren't around, and his bike claim is just as valid.
Sore Loser wrote:
Which claim is valid? The bike claim? Or the other claims that led to a mob demanding multiple people lose their jobs and the Deegans banned...
Which claim is valid? The bike claim? Or the other claims that led to a mob demanding multiple people lose their jobs and the Deegans banned from racing.
The bike claim, dipshit. The bike claim. That's 100% the only issue that matters despite all your theatrics.
280driver wrote:
160 posts in 2 days about 1 topic. I’d say that’s an agenda, not critical thinking.
I'd say it's a fucking mental illness honestly
MO 23
Sore Loser wrote:

Classic.
Sore Loser wrote:
Which claim is valid? The bike claim? Or the other claims that led to a mob demanding multiple people lose their jobs and the Deegans banned...
Dan,
I dont think anyone really thinks Deegan should be banned.
But surely you agree this needs a proper investigation and the AMA should find out exactly why the kid dropped the claim. those involved should be reprimanded (not fired) and the rules need to cleaned up so this shit storm doesnt happen again

I would say there should be zero discussion after the claim is made. if a rider lodges a claim, it can not be resinded, and the bike 100% has to be handed over at that point....no back room chats, no counter offers from the opposing team. simple
holyroller1
Fantasy
437th
MO 23 wrote:
He claimed the bike, 100% within the rules. nobody is denying that Does he have it now? No, he doesn't. Nobody is denying that If he...
He claimed the bike, 100% within the rules. nobody is denying that
Does he have it now? No, he doesn't. Nobody is denying that

If he is lying about his motivation, i dont care, and i dont blame him.

But the indisputable facts are that he claimed the bike within the rules, and he didnt get the bike. and in my opinion that is all that matters....and it stinks. surely you agree with that Dan?

Also, Star borrowed an engine for the last race.....hmmm strange they didnt bring a spare

Sore Loser wrote:
It matters why he chose to drop the claim.

His credibility matters when hearing his version of why he dropped the claim.

Follow... the... bouncing... ball.
"It matters why he chose to drop the claim"

Once again, three adults in a closed door meeting with a minor.

There's your answer. Boom you can send me $50 for saving you from having to post 100+ times tonight.
brocster
8/15/2022 7:56pm

Sore Loser wrote:
Because i think it’s only fair that we find out who specifically was responsible for the claim being dropped before going postal on everyone involved. Crazy...

Crazy concept huh?
Correct, these three adults have earned everything they are getting. Nothing more nothing less.
Wisco322
Fantasy
631st
8/15/2022 7:56pm
Something about this seems fishy.. is it just me or is that a Snapchat covering some words from a Snapchat?

You can see the previous layered chat under the visible one. It’s a shade darker.

Why would the Deegans even have Brennan’s snapchat to somehow get a screenshot of it?
Sore Loser
8/15/2022 7:57pm
Doubt it. Derek Haris didn’t condemn them. And the claim was still in full effect at the conclusion of that meeting.

Brennan held his ground and the established protocols were going forward at that point. Cotter took the bike into impound (albeit a joke of an impound), Brennan was set to get a second motor after the swap, his dad made sure of it.
holyroller1
Fantasy
437th
8/15/2022 8:02pm
Sore Loser wrote:
Doubt it. Derek Haris didn’t condemn them. And the claim was still in full effect at the conclusion of that meeting. Brennan held his ground and...
Doubt it. Derek Haris didn’t condemn them. And the claim was still in full effect at the conclusion of that meeting.

Brennan held his ground and the established protocols were going forward at that point. Cotter took the bike into impound (albeit a joke of an impound), Brennan was set to get a second motor after the swap, his dad made sure of it.
So are you saying it's all good to have a "closed door" meeting with a minor? Is that your statement or do you want to keep making nonsensical arguments in response to a simple statement?
Sore Loser
8/15/2022 8:02pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 8:03pm
MO 23 wrote:
Dan, I dont think anyone really thinks Deegan should be banned. But surely you agree this needs a proper investigation and the AMA should find out...
Dan,
But surely you agree this needs a proper investigation and the AMA should find out exactly why the kid dropped the claim. those involved should be reprimanded (not fired) and the rules need to cleaned up so this shit storm doesnt happen again

I would say there should be zero discussion after the claim is made. if a rider lodges a claim, it can not be resinded, and the bike 100% has to be handed over at that point....no back room chats, no counter offers from the opposing team. simple
You sure? There’s plenty members here that have called for the Deegans to get penalized with a ban.

OF FUCKING COURSE I THINK THERE NEEDS TO BE AN INVESTIGATION INTO WHY THE CLAIM WAS DROPPED. Holy crap that’s what I’ve been saying this whole time. How in the fuck is that not clear?!?

I too agree the backroom discussions/deals & counter offers should be banned. Gonna be impossible to enforce tho.

The fact is, this sport finds itself in a weird conundrum. It needs the claiming rule but quietly it’s taboo & the culture is against it. I dunno how you fix that.
MO 23
8/15/2022 8:04pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 8:04pm
MO 23 wrote:
Dan, I dont think anyone really thinks Deegan should be banned. But surely you agree this needs a proper investigation and the AMA should find out...
Dan,

Sore Loser wrote:
You sure? There’s plenty members here that have called for the Deegans to get penalized with a ban. OF FUCKING COURSE I THINK THERE NEEDS TO...
You sure? There’s plenty members here that have called for the Deegans to get penalized with a ban.

OF FUCKING COURSE I THINK THERE NEEDS TO BE AN INVESTIGATION INTO WHY THE CLAIM WAS DROPPED. Holy crap that’s what I’ve been saying this whole time. How in the fuck is that not clear?!?

I too agree the backroom discussions/deals & counter offers should be banned. Gonna be impossible to enforce tho.

The fact is, this sport finds itself in a weird conundrum. It needs the claiming rule but quietly it’s taboo & the culture is against it. I dunno how you fix that.
Its not impossible to enforce that at all.

there is a 30 minute claim window. get a claimer to sign a piece of paper in that window, if he/she does....boom, no backing out.
8/15/2022 8:05pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 8:35pm
ML - Thanks for putting this together! It's like true crime with an MX twist. Smile I listened to the whole thing.

I'll listen to part 2 tomorrow too.

I've just finished listening to the Donnie Luce and Matt Walker interviews on PulpMX too. My opinion has changed a bit, however there are definitely still some questions.

To me, Tim Cotter, and Mike Burkeen come across as believable; Deegan also seemingly has a fairly small part in this whole thing (smaller than I initially assumed).

That said, the Brenden is also fairly believable; there are some minor flaws (very minor details left out) in the story, and the screen grabs of him talking trash online (if real) don't paint him out to be an angel (but what 17 year old boy is). That said, almost everyone seems to universally agree he conducted himself honorably, and was truthful with his motivations. From my perspective, his story aligns enough with the others to be considered truthful (to the extent necessary to draw conclusions).

Matt Walker on the other hand doesn't come across as believable; in fact he comes across as manipulative. On Steve's podcast he's basically providing very quick answers to direct questions, immediately followed by appeals to how long he's known people, or been in the industry etc. It really seems like he's trying to leverage perceived past credibility to ensure his current story is believable. Lots of extraneous detail etc. If anyone in "real life" answered my questions like he did on that podcast, red flags would be flying in my head.

It's also pretty telling that Brenden alluded to his family cutting ties with a ~2-3 year MX trainer relationship. It would be unlikely that a heartfelt "life coaching" session would lead them to immediately cut ties. I suspect it was a little more heated than just trying "gently guide" his rider. Multiple sources have described that meeting is "emotional", and attributed that label towards Matt Walker.

Matt also seems to lay 100% blame at the feet of the dealer, which is plausible for sure (because we know nothing about this mystery dealer yet), but it also seems unlikely that the dealer would try to talk Brendan out of it (on the pretext of giving him a bad name etc.), and then would yank his sponsorship immediately following. If he was concerned it was going to give him a bad name, you would think he would term the sponsorship right then and there regardless of if he followed through with the claim or not (that would send the most definitive message to outsiders that the dealership wasn't in support of this).

Everyone is swearing up and down that Yamaha corporate didn't apply any pressure. I tend to believe that as well. I don't get the feeling YM Americas is going to hop on a conference call with 2 hours notice on Saturday night because of some drama that occurs at an ameture race. I work in a corp setting, and for a living I routinely wake execs up over major "fires"...I doubt seriously they'd move this quickly to apply pressure to a dealer. The logistics of it don't make sense...not like in 2 hours they're going to get someone with the power to do this at Yamaha, instagram stalk the rider, find his sponsor, find personal contact info for the sponsorship guy at the dealership, make the call, threaten, etc.

That said, Donnie Luce seems to really gloss over several details about their meeting under the tent, and his assertion that he's going to give two motors to some random kid he's never met doesn't really make sense. Does he do that to every kid riding a Yamaha at Lorettas? It really doesn't seem likely until you add the context of quid pro quo...Occams razor and all that. I'm sure someone is his position is given some latitude in rider relations, so I could see him having the pull to get two motors without a phone call to/from corp. I get the feeling he's probably an old-school guy, maybe trying to manage the situation from the ground (if anything). He may just be an old guy who glosses over details...hard to say.

The motor builder, I'm kind of on the fence about. He seems decent enough via the interviews, however he also comes across as a bit of a goober. I don't think he had the financial means to try and copy/reverse engineer the motor, it almost seems like he just wanted to insert himself in the situation...almost a personality quirk/flaw of some kind. The bad feedback on these forums is also a wrinkle.

I'm left with the feeling that the kid may not be a total angel, but at the end of the day he's the one getting screwed over the most. He should have the bike, and he doesn't.

It's also kind of amusing that literally everyone interviewed so far says the claim rule is good, however it's obvious that not everyone believes that...otherwise this kid would have the bike.
holyroller1
Fantasy
437th
8/15/2022 8:08pm
Wisco322 wrote:
Something about this seems fishy.. is it just me or is that a Snapchat covering some words from a Snapchat?[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/08/15/564181/s1200_CD7CC69D_ED7C_483F_A663_AE5FAF7235F0.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/08/15/564180/s1200_06E2AD0E_96C2_465F_A747_5CA77B290073.jpg[/img] You can see the previous...
Something about this seems fishy.. is it just me or is that a Snapchat covering some words from a Snapchat?

You can see the previous layered chat under the visible one. It’s a shade darker.

Why would the Deegans even have Brennan’s snapchat to somehow get a screenshot of it?
The text doesn't even line up with the frame. Not sure if this an actual snapchat by deegan. Just saying.
jeffro503
8/15/2022 8:08pm
Michael.........you are literally kicking ass and taking names here!

Just wanted to put that out there. Super impressed by how fast you jump onto certain news stuff , and get it all out there for everyone. Huge props my man!
Sore Loser
8/15/2022 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 8:09pm
So are you saying it's all good to have a "closed door" meeting with a minor? Is that your statement or do you want to keep...
So are you saying it's all good to have a "closed door" meeting with a minor? Is that your statement or do you want to keep making nonsensical arguments in response to a simple statement?
I think the parents should be accompanying the kid during the claim. Flat out.

Sounds like the dad had little interest in being involved.

Also sounds like that meeting had to happen to determine the custody protocol. And Cotter had to rush it or Star/Deegans were going to win by default because of the 30 minute rule.

If they wait for Brennan to go get his dad, the claim is never legally filed in time. So for that I think Cotter had to make a judgement call, and I think he made the right one.
SX_336
8/15/2022 8:09pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
It is a really simple thing that I don't know why he keeps lying about. I was in the room the entire time Brian was there...
It is a really simple thing that I don't know why he keeps lying about. I was in the room the entire time Brian was there. He was never in the room with Brain and Tim alone.
dmm698 wrote:
Did I understand correctly Harris called a week before the race asking how to claim a bike? I support the kid Brennan and no doubt he...
Did I understand correctly Harris called a week before the race asking how to claim a bike?

I support the kid Brennan and no doubt he was coerced into dropping the claim by outside pressure, he should of got the bike ect. But it also speaks volumes to Harris playing the good guy supporter who claims he knew nothing about the claim idea from Brennan until Loretta’s yet he was on the phone about it a week prior and involved directly in the initiation with most of the officials.

Whole thing stinks to heavens and hope we can determine who pressured him into dropping it

Edit: just so it’s clear, Harris being dishonest has nothing to do with the fact Brennan got the shaft in this ordeal
Harris said in the interview that he found out about the claim THE WEEK before Loretta’s. So there goes your whole post here being shot to shit. Time to drop back and punt.
Utah Moto
8/15/2022 8:11pm
Wisco322 wrote:
Something about this seems fishy.. is it just me or is that a Snapchat covering some words from a Snapchat?[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/08/15/564181/s1200_CD7CC69D_ED7C_483F_A663_AE5FAF7235F0.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/08/15/564180/s1200_06E2AD0E_96C2_465F_A747_5CA77B290073.jpg[/img] You can see the previous...

My only thought is Brennan has a mutual acquaintance and that person screen shot it and sent it. Still doesn’t explain the text over old text. I’m not aware of anything on snap that has that feature?
Sore Loser
8/15/2022 8:11pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 8:12pm
MO 23 wrote:
Its not impossible to enforce that at all. there is a 30 minute claim window. get a claimer to sign a piece of paper in that...
Its not impossible to enforce that at all.

there is a 30 minute claim window. get a claimer to sign a piece of paper in that window, if he/she does....boom, no backing out.
It’s incredibly hard to enforce anything when money & big name teams are involved.

But I agree with you, no refunds on the claim might solve some of this.
holyroller1
Fantasy
437th
8/15/2022 8:12pm
So are you saying it's all good to have a "closed door" meeting with a minor? Is that your statement or do you want to keep...
Sore Loser wrote:
I think the parents should be accompanying the kid during the claim. Flat out. Sounds like the dad had little interest in being involved. Also sounds...

Also sounds like that meeting had to happen to determine the custody protocol. And Cotter had to rush it or Star/Deegans were going to win by default because of the 30 minute rule.

If they wait for Brennan to go get his dad, the claim is never legally filed in time. So for that I think Cotter had to make a judgement call, and I think he made the right one.
AKAIK you don't have to be 18+ to make a claim.

The point is the adults that "confronted" him should have known better than to engage a minor in anything after the claim. Especially 3 relatively prominent figures in the sport.
8/15/2022 8:14pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 8:25pm
Sore Loser wrote:
I think the parents should be accompanying the kid during the claim. Flat out. Sounds like the dad had little interest in being involved. Also sounds...

The rulebook clearly states that any rider (claimant) must initiate the claim. Brennan is the rider. If you want to change the rulebook to accommodate parents of minors, that's fine, go petition and do all that bullshit, but Brennan properly followed the rule to the letter.

Utah Moto
8/15/2022 8:14pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 8:15pm
I haven’t listened yet but does Matt walker have ANY credibility before I listen? Of all the parties involved he seems like the one that would bold face lie about everything to save his own ass. I almost don’t even care to listen
Bill_Carroll
Fantasy
1077th
8/15/2022 8:18pm
Deegans put out a vid "Running in the B class was top" Notch
Since when?!
Running under the YAM Camp in the B class is what I call Sand Fu**in bagging to say the least.
Not a good look going PRO. But when has Brian been class?

Post a reply to: The Deegan Bike Claim Story - Part 1, 2, and 3 | UPDATE: Brennan's Sponsor Responds | Schofield, Cotter, Burkeen, Deegan, Luce, and Walker

The Latest