The Deegan Bike Claim Story - Part 1, 2, and 3 | UPDATE: Brennan's Sponsor Responds | Schofield, Cotter, Burkeen, Deegan, Luce, and Walker

ML512
8/15/2022 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2022 6:19am
Update: Here is part one and part two of what will likely be a three part feature. Here's our interviews with Brennan Schofield, Tim Cotter (MX Sports), Mike Burkeen (AMA), and Brian Deegan in part one. Part two holds Donnie Luce and Matt Walker.

Part 1 Link: https://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/The-Truth-of-the-Claim-Against-…

Part two will launch in a bit with Donnie Luce of Yamaha and Matt Walker (MotoX Compound).

Part 2 Link: https://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/The-Truth-of-the-Claim-Against-…

Part three will be tomorrow with the sponsor / bike support of Brennan Schofield and possibly another guest or two...
Part 3 Link: https://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/The-Claim-Against-Haiden-Deegan…

Listen to it all carefully.

A few standouts to me:

Brennan does admit that there was an offer of sort from Yamaha of engines to replace so damaged ones he had along with an opportunity to test the bike at Goat Farm.

Burkeen states that the AMA rules relating to a claim will only penalize another party if they counter claim a bike to interfere or if a rider is directly threatened by the claimed party. Negotiating a deal to receive some level of support in return for dropping a claim is NOT against the rules.

Brennan also admits that he actually doesn't know if his bike sponsor / dealer was threatened by Yamaha, it was assumed.

Cotter and Burkeen speak very highly of dealing with Brennan and his handling of the situation.

Cotter and Burkeen both speak about the engine builder trying to be involved a decent bit.

Cotter and Burkeen both state that they were told his parents "weren't around" and in retrospective they both wish they would've asked further on this.

Both admit to not realizing that Brennan was under 18 in the moment.

Burkeen states he didn't deny the kid the ability to make the claim without his parents around as he didn't want to run down the clock and risk the kid not being able to make the claim against the bike. He absolutely didn't want to interfere with the process and have it look like the AMA / MX Sports would deny a legitimate bike claim.

Cotter, Burkeen, and Deegan all match up with a much shorter time line for the conversation with Brennan in the office. Their versions of Deegan's questions all match Brennan's.

Deegan has proof of very negative comments that Brennan has posted on Social Media about Haiden and was roughly aware of who he was due to these comments.
|
RonSkj
8/15/2022 4:45pm
Holeshot
NewOldSchool
8/15/2022 4:47pm
This will be interesting to say the least.
Sore Loser
8/15/2022 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 4:56pm
You got the dealership to even go on record? Holy cow Im impressed.

Just missing Brennan's dad at this point.

The Shop

dmm698
8/15/2022 4:52pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 4:54pm
Sore Loser wrote:

ML and the rest of vital can now rest that you are impressed.

Thanks for the effort ML512!
MO 23
8/15/2022 4:53pm
Great job ML
ML512
8/15/2022 4:54pm
Sore Loser wrote:

His primary bike sponsor's interview will be up tomorrow. As far as I'm aware, me/we're the only media outlet he'd like to interview with.
Jordan421
8/15/2022 4:56pm
Sore Loser wrote:

ML512 wrote:
His primary bike sponsor's interview will be up tomorrow. As far as I'm aware, me/we're the only media outlet he'd like to interview with.
Because vital is #1
Yeti831
8/15/2022 5:16pm
I’d like to point out we have an AMA official now on record saying that of all people COTTER denied Harris entry because “he wasn’t the guardian”, but pulled the kid into a room with Brian (who is neither the guardian, nor the bike owner, nor the competitor) with no other staff (official) in there with them?!

What… the… fuck?
MO 23
8/15/2022 5:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 5:30pm
Sore Loser wrote:

Daniel yeah?
If I am right, perhaps it is time to spill the beans on how you are related to this topic? it might explain to some why you have posted ~130 or so posts in a couple of days on this single issue....not really normal for "just an mx fan"
ML512
8/15/2022 5:18pm
Yeti831 wrote:
I’d like to point out we have an AMA official now on record saying that of all people COTTER denied Harris entry because “he wasn’t the...
I’d like to point out we have an AMA official now on record saying that of all people COTTER denied Harris entry because “he wasn’t the guardian”, but pulled the kid into a room with Brian (who is neither the guardian, nor the bike owner, nor the competitor) with no other staff (official) in there with them?!

What… the… fuck?
Keep listening.
FWYT
8/15/2022 5:21pm
Sore Loser wrote:

ML512 wrote:
Nicely done, ML. I am sure you've had some long days lately.
ML512
8/15/2022 5:23pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 6:22pm
I know this is quite the bag to unload so here are some unique points to the story.

Brennan does admit that there was an offer of sort from Yamaha of engines to replace so damaged ones he had along with an opportunity to test the bike at Goat Farm.

Burkeen states that the AMA rules relating to a claim will only penalize another party if they counter claim a bike to interfere or if a rider is directly threatened by the claimed party. Negotiating a deal to receive some level of support in return for dropping a claim is NOT against the rules.

Brennan also admits that he actually doesn't know if his bike sponsor / dealer was threatened by Yamaha, it was assumed.

Cotter and Burkeen speak very highly of dealing with Brennan and his handling of the situation.

Cotter and Burkeen both speak about the engine builder trying to be involved a decent bit.

Cotter and Burkeen both state that they were told his parents "weren't around" and in retrospective they both wish they would've asked further on this.

Burkeen states he didn't deny the kid the ability to make the claim without his parents around as he didn't want to run down the clock and risk the kid not being able to make the claim against the bike. He absolutely didn't want to interfere with the process and have it look like the AMA / MX Sports would deny a legitimate bike claim.

Cotter, Burkeen, and Deegan all match up with a much shorter time line for the conversation with Brennan in the office. Their versions of Deegan's questions all match Brennan's.

Deegan didn't know it was only Brennan present when he showed up, he expected a kid and his dad.

Deegan has proof of very negative comments that Brennan has posted on Social Media about Haiden and was roughly aware of who he was due to these comments.
FlaNard
8/15/2022 5:48pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 5:55pm
ML512 wrote:
I know this is quite the bag to unload so here are some unique points to the story. Brennan does admit that there was an offer...
I know this is quite the bag to unload so here are some unique points to the story.

Deegan didn't know it was only Brennan present when he showed up, he expected a kid and his dad.

Still cornered a 17 year old as a group and pressured him out of the bike with no adult present. “We didn’t know he was a minor” doesn’t hold up in court. And of course they will claim no intimidation. Their word against his and they had a week to get their stories straight after laughing this off. Clearly they just tried working out a deal very nicely and calmly which is why Deegan still has a bike he has no right to while Brennan had to turn his in to his sponsor and ends up with nothing. It sure beats saying that the kid played dirty and that Brian had no idea a rule existed that he’s used before. And if you expected his dad to be there Brian, and he clearly wasn’t, stop the forced meeting right there you pampered twat. The industry is spinning like I’ve never seen before. Even Pulp (the straight shooters I always read about) are bending over backwards to defame the kid.
Utah Moto
8/15/2022 5:49pm
If deegan had any question.. it’s not hard to ask.. hey can we get your dad in here. I’d feel more comfortable talking about this with you and your dad. Instead it was .. oh, no dad. Cool why do you want our bike.
Dirt.Squirt
8/15/2022 6:02pm
To hell with running a team ML you need to start your own damn national championship Woohoo

Seriously though this is a damn good job on your part! This is real journalism! Much respect
USA
8/15/2022 6:09pm
At 46 minutes, Cotter mentions that Brennan started the claim with 'an official', presumably AMA. He says that the kid was told to go talk to 'the administration', which would have been Cotter and Deegan.

Did Schofield actually start the claim with the right party, the AMA, and get told he has to talk to MX Sports?
TXDirt
8/15/2022 6:10pm
Why does Daddy Deegan need to know why the kid wants the bike? Maybe he just wants to melt it down. Maybe he wants to ride it on the farm. Who knows and who cares. Would any answer of gotten Deegan to back off and say “oh okay. Here is the bike”.

The whole thing of having Deegan and Cotter interrogate the person making the claim is ridiculous.

Leave it to MX Sports and the AMA to make something that should be very simple and turn it into a total shit show.

How the heck does Walker make it into the middle of this? It’s comical how this was handled.

A claim was made. The money was paid.

End of story.

But not end of story….

Pit Row

8/15/2022 6:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 6:25pm
USA wrote:
At 46 minutes, Cotter mentions that Brennan started the claim with 'an official', presumably AMA. He says that the kid was told to go talk to...
At 46 minutes, Cotter mentions that Brennan started the claim with 'an official', presumably AMA. He says that the kid was told to go talk to 'the administration', which would have been Cotter and Deegan.

Did Schofield actually start the claim with the right party, the AMA, and get told he has to talk to MX Sports?
It's pretty clear that Cotter is trying to spin a tight narrative around that one because it is a huge WTF why in particular he was inserted when the claim went to the AMA: "We're sanctioned by the AMA and we have officials... I am an official... And then the AMA, because it's a national Championship they have their management team as well. So it's sort of the best of both worlds."

They're carefully chosen words, but they don't really indicate why the promoter took on the rules enforcement, and then handled it in this peculiar manner that inserted multiple unecessary meetings between the claimant and other parties including dealers, reps, and random dudes.
Sawfish
8/15/2022 6:18pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 6:20pm
Utah Moto wrote:
If deegan had any question.. it’s not hard to ask.. hey can we get your dad in here. I’d feel more comfortable talking about this with...
If deegan had any question.. it’s not hard to ask.. hey can we get your dad in here. I’d feel more comfortable talking about this with you and your dad. Instead it was .. oh, no dad. Cool why do you want our bike.
He didn’t ask because he was trying to intimidate a child. Plain and simple. Even if Brennan was 18. Not much of a difference.
VRR7
8/15/2022 6:18pm
TXDirt wrote:
Why does Daddy Deegan need to know why the kid wants the bike? Maybe he just wants to melt it down. Maybe he wants to ride...
Why does Daddy Deegan need to know why the kid wants the bike? Maybe he just wants to melt it down. Maybe he wants to ride it on the farm. Who knows and who cares. Would any answer of gotten Deegan to back off and say “oh okay. Here is the bike”.

The whole thing of having Deegan and Cotter interrogate the person making the claim is ridiculous.

Leave it to MX Sports and the AMA to make something that should be very simple and turn it into a total shit show.

How the heck does Walker make it into the middle of this? It’s comical how this was handled.

End of story.

But not end of story….
Because of Brenan's social media statements and attacks on Haiden basically showing his jealously and envy. Brian know the real reason ! Brenan is a pos.

Brian should claim Brenan's bike next race , show the little squirt what it feels like to remove all development work on you personals race bike. You Tube show all the engine builders modifications. Me think it will be more adverse if the same happened to him. I doubt Brian would waste any time offering that lesson to Brenan. Pretty much a low class move in any event !
8/15/2022 6:23pm
It is a really simple thing that I don't know why he keeps lying about. I was in the room the entire time Brian was there. He was never in the room with Brain and Tim alone.
500 Mike
8/15/2022 6:23pm
Haven't gotten through all of the video yet but listed to most of Cotter's piece. The way he talked about it MX Sports (him) and the AMA are almost one and the same. Cotter took possession of the bike in question and locked it up. Glad it was locked up but IMO the AMA should be the ones handling this. They are (supposedly) the rules makers and should be handling enforcement and not MX Sports. There seems to be WAY too much intermixing of those 2 organizations at this event anyway. Should they have a good working relationship, absolutely, but each org has a role to play and it seems the AMA was deferring to MXS too much. If the AMA didn't have enough personnel onsite to handle these kind of issues then shame on them. MXS needs to run the race and AMA needs to enforce the rules. I need to listen to Burkeen's piece to get his take but not able to right now.

Also, I was curious who was sitting in the back seat of Cotter's vehicle. Possibly Carrie?? Maybe not.
8/15/2022 6:23pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 6:26pm
TXDirt wrote:
Why does Daddy Deegan need to know why the kid wants the bike? Maybe he just wants to melt it down. Maybe he wants to ride...

End of story.

But not end of story….
VRR7 wrote:
Because of Brenan's social media statements and attacks on Haiden basically showing his jealously and envy. Brian know the real reason ! Brenan is a pos...
Because of Brenan's social media statements and attacks on Haiden basically showing his jealously and envy. Brian know the real reason ! Brenan is a pos.

Brian should claim Brenan's bike next race , show the little squirt what it feels like to remove all development work on you personals race bike. You Tube show all the engine builders modifications. Me think it will be more adverse if the same happened to him. I doubt Brian would waste any time offering that lesson to Brenan. Pretty much a low class move in any event !
LOL. I'm sure Brennan would be so bummed to get his clapped out YZ250F (that he doesn't even have anymore) claimed for twice MSRP.
TbonesPop
8/15/2022 6:24pm
ML512 wrote:
I know this is quite the bag to unload so here are some unique points to the story. Brennan does admit that there was an offer...

Good stuff ML. Fantastic work. Couple of tidbits I took away from the Cotter interview, which was really good. Go back and watch his body language and when he crosses his arms. That's indicative of a closed body language and can indicate an uncomfortable feeling with the person speaking. I'm not saying he's lying when he does that, it just indicates discomfort or not as comfortable with that particular question. Also, anytime I have been dealing with depositions (in business) and someone says "they don't recall", they have either been coached by an attorney or they are not telling the truth - or they are they are just effectively taking the 5th. Saying you don't recall is not normal vernacular for most people. When someone just says "I don't remember" or something more common, it tends to hold more water. I'm not saying Cotter was lying in his interview. I'm saying he was very "guarded" in his interview.

I've been overly harsh on Brian Deegan and owe him an apology, so I apologize Brian.

Cotter, I'm still somewhat on the fence on. At the end of the day, I think the whole situation could have been handled better and all parties involve would admit that.

Sounds like we are getting down to brass tax on where the real issue lies - what drove the return of the claim.

Again, fantastic work ML.
Utah Moto
8/15/2022 6:25pm
TXDirt wrote:

End of story.

But not end of story….
VRR7 wrote:
Because of Brenan's social media statements and attacks on Haiden basically showing his jealously and envy. Brian know the real reason ! Brenan is a pos...

So you aren’t down with rules and laws I take it? Enjoy prison
dmm698
8/15/2022 6:27pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 7:02pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
It is a really simple thing that I don't know why he keeps lying about. I was in the room the entire time Brian was there...
It is a really simple thing that I don't know why he keeps lying about. I was in the room the entire time Brian was there. He was never in the room with Brain and Tim alone.
Did I understand correctly Harris called a week before the race asking how to claim a bike?

I support the kid Brennan and no doubt he was coerced into dropping the claim by outside pressure, he should of got the bike ect. But it also speaks volumes to Harris playing the good guy supporter who claims he knew nothing about the claim idea from Brennan until Loretta’s yet he was on the phone about it a week prior and involved directly in the initiation with most of the officials.

Whole thing stinks to heavens and hope we can determine who pressured him into dropping it

Edit: just so it’s clear, Harris being dishonest has nothing to do with the fact Brennan got the shaft in this ordeal
TbonesPop
8/15/2022 6:27pm
TXDirt wrote:

End of story.

But not end of story….
VRR7 wrote:

Lol. Dude, just no. Put down whatever you are drinking or smokin.
Utah Moto
8/15/2022 6:29pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2022 6:32pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
It is a really simple thing that I don't know why he keeps lying about. I was in the room the entire time Brian was there...
dmm698 wrote:
Did I understand correctly Harris called a week before the race asking how to claim a bike? I support the kid Brennan and no doubt he...
Did I understand correctly Harris called a week before the race asking how to claim a bike?

I support the kid Brennan and no doubt he was coerced into dropping the claim by outside pressure, he should of got the bike ect. But it also speaks volumes to Harris playing the good guy supporter who claims he knew nothing about the claim idea from Brennan until Loretta’s yet he was on the phone about it a week prior and involved directly in the initiation with most of the officials.

Whole thing stinks to heavens and hope we can determine who pressured him into dropping it

Edit: just so it’s clear, Harris being dishonest has nothing to do with the fact Brennan got the shaft in this ordeal
Again. Non of that matters as it pertains to the rule. We could find out 16 people lent him money, talked him him into doing etc etc. the fact was the claim was made and rules should have been followed.

I’ll even go out and say I think Brennan is playing the “innocent nice kid” but he really hates Haiden and had it out for him. But IT DOESNT MATTER as it pertains to the rule.

To me it makes the move by the deegans even dumber. You know you have an for sure Enemy out there and you still risk it

Post a reply to: The Deegan Bike Claim Story - Part 1, 2, and 3 | UPDATE: Brennan's Sponsor Responds | Schofield, Cotter, Burkeen, Deegan, Luce, and Walker

The Latest

The Latest