The Darkest Day in Motocross: August 1, 1982

FastEddy
Fantasy
955th
8/8/2017 4:55pm
GuyB wrote:
I ran into Dana for the first time in ages last weekend. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/08/208905/s1200_IMG_7894.jpg[/img]
I ran into Dana for the first time in ages last weekend.

Awesome pic,GuyB!
He's still sporting the Oakley suspenders and red & white.
Neat! Smile
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
8/8/2017 5:10pm
Is he still associated with Oakley?
Tonynz
8/29/2017 11:04pm
I must congratulate Brett Smith, on a great story. Recieved my issue today. Probably the best issue ever, I have all 9 "Meta" books, well worth the subscription.
Dropbear
8/29/2017 11:11pm

A shot my dad took back in '79.

The Shop

Brett Smith
Fantasy
3928th
8/30/2017 9:57am
Dropbear wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/29/212181/s1200_IMG_2507.jpg[/img] A shot my dad took back in '79.

A shot my dad took back in '79.
Very cool! I'd like to repost it on my Instagram account (@wewentfast). Can you ID some of the riders? Where was it taken?
Dropbear
8/30/2017 11:31am
26 Ted Brady, 20 Steve Skilton (me),1 Erik Kehoe, 14 Rick Hemme. Saddleback WMGP
Brett Smith
Fantasy
3928th
8/31/2017 12:17pm
Tonynz wrote:
I must congratulate Brett Smith, on a great story. Recieved my issue today. Probably the best issue ever, I have all 9 "Meta" books, well worth...
I must congratulate Brett Smith, on a great story. Recieved my issue today. Probably the best issue ever, I have all 9 "Meta" books, well worth the subscription.
Thank you so much, Tony.
Old-Man
9/1/2017 10:44am
Thumper243 wrote:
I was there that year. dboivins version is what we were told.(Not about pulling around cars though, but the rest is what floated around way back...
I was there that year. dboivins version is what we were told.(Not about pulling around cars though, but the rest is what floated around way back then.

We heard they simply tried to beat the train on the way to the awards deal.
I'm not sure anyone moto related saw it other than the driver. At least we never heard from anyone that said they saw it. Maybe some people did?

This was so far before the net and instant news and everyone with a camera.
"I'm not sure anyone moto related saw it other than the driver. At least we never heard from anyone that said they saw it. Maybe some people did?"

Was thinking same, What about the engineer?
He may be too distraught to talk about it also.

BTW: Just ordered the Mag too. hope it brings calm and comfort to the Friends and Families involved.

Agree that a show like 30-30 would be a great platform to get the word out on how fast these Guys were.
9/1/2017 1:15pm
Sooooii how did the die or get injured? Is that what people don't know?
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
9/1/2017 1:26pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2017 1:28pm
You should read the thread
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
9/2/2017 4:52pm
Dizzy
Cygrace74
1/14/2022 6:33am
I remember there being a podcast discussing the article but can't seem to find it anymore. Can anyone point me to where to find it?
Brett Smith
Fantasy
3928th
1/14/2022 6:58am
Cygrace74 wrote:
I remember there being a podcast discussing the article but can't seem to find it anymore. Can anyone point me to where to find it?
Hey, Cygrace74,

I wrote the article. I probably went on the DMXS show with Kevin Kelly and David Izer. Summer os 2017 if I remember correctly.

I'm going to re-release that article this summer to observe 40 years since the tragedy. It'll be available at wewentfast.com and read as a story on my podcast channel. Probably come out in July.

Thanks for your interest in this story.

Brett
MudPup545
1/14/2022 7:54am
Cygrace74 wrote:
Hey, Cygrace74, I wrote the article. I probably went on the DMXS show with Kevin Kelly and David Izer. Summer os 2017 if I remember correctly...
Hey, Cygrace74,

I wrote the article. I probably went on the DMXS show with Kevin Kelly and David Izer. Summer os 2017 if I remember correctly.

I'm going to re-release that article this summer to observe 40 years since the tragedy. It'll be available at wewentfast.com and read as a story on my podcast channel. Probably come out in July.

Brett
Do you by chance run/own We Went Fast? My wife got me a big box of your goodies for Christmas. The sticker pack is awesome! What is your podcast?
Brett Smith
Fantasy
3928th
1/14/2022 8:10am
Cygrace74 wrote:
Hey, Cygrace74, I wrote the article. I probably went on the DMXS show with Kevin Kelly and David Izer. Summer os 2017 if I remember correctly...
Hey, Cygrace74,

Brett
MudPup545 wrote:
Do you by chance run/own We Went Fast? My wife got me a big box of your goodies for Christmas. The sticker pack is awesome! What...
Do you by chance run/own We Went Fast? My wife got me a big box of your goodies for Christmas. The sticker pack is awesome! What is your podcast?
Hey! Yup, that's me. I do everything from write the stories to fold the shirts. You must have a rad wife who knows exactly what you like/want. That's awesome, thank you.

Search "We Went Fast" in your podcast player and you'll find it. There are 16 shows total so far. It's me reading the articles so you don't sit and read them (they can get a bit long). Enjoy and tell a friend!
MudPup545
1/20/2022 8:04am
Hey! Yup, that's me. I do everything from write the stories to fold the shirts. You must have a rad wife who knows exactly what you...
Hey! Yup, that's me. I do everything from write the stories to fold the shirts. You must have a rad wife who knows exactly what you like/want. That's awesome, thank you.

Search "We Went Fast" in your podcast player and you'll find it. There are 16 shows total so far. It's me reading the articles so you don't sit and read them (they can get a bit long). Enjoy and tell a friend!
I read this thread and I do remember hearing about that tragedy in the MX world.

I’m also a few episodes into your podcast and I am enjoying them. Definitely makes the drive to work better. Listened to the 9/11 one today.

I have the stickers that Racer X was selling to raise funds for the team that year, the autographed ones.

I discovered your website via a postcard that was being handed out at a showing of On Any Sunday here in Michigan. Absolutely killer to see that legendary movie on the big screen.

Love the merchandise and will definitely be getting more.
Boomslang
Fantasy
657th
1/20/2022 11:24pm
zehn wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but what happened?
motosurf wrote:
For 20 bucks you can pick up an overpriced "magazine" and find out
That's a real shit comment given the nature of this topic. You should apolgies and delete that garbage.
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2361st
1/21/2022 11:22pm
Hey, wpark89, Thanks for subscribing, I'm honored you'd do that just to read the story. I'm a subscriber, too and I also haven't received the new...
Hey, wpark89,

Thanks for subscribing, I'm honored you'd do that just to read the story. I'm a subscriber, too and I also haven't received the new issue. July 21 was the day it actually came off the printer (I shouldn't have used the word "shipped").

Also, the magazine has switched to a fulfillment house for the first time (they were literally mailing them all by hand before) and there are some normal hiccups in getting up to speed. So sorry for the delay. It's coming!

brett
You do great work my friend. . . . bringing back old memories. ...

Keep it up!

PSLAP
Brett Smith
Fantasy
3928th
1/22/2022 1:35pm
Hey, wpark89, Thanks for subscribing, I'm honored you'd do that just to read the story. I'm a subscriber, too and I also haven't received the new...
Hey, wpark89,

Thanks for subscribing, I'm honored you'd do that just to read the story. I'm a subscriber, too and I also haven't received the new issue. July 21 was the day it actually came off the printer (I shouldn't have used the word "shipped").

Also, the magazine has switched to a fulfillment house for the first time (they were literally mailing them all by hand before) and there are some normal hiccups in getting up to speed. So sorry for the delay. It's coming!

brett
You do great work my friend. . . . bringing back old memories. ...

Keep it up!

PSLAP
Thank you!
Brett Smith
Fantasy
3928th
1/22/2022 1:36pm
Hey! Yup, that's me. I do everything from write the stories to fold the shirts. You must have a rad wife who knows exactly what you...

MudPup545 wrote:
I read this thread and I do remember hearing about that tragedy in the MX world. I’m also a few episodes into your podcast and I...
I read this thread and I do remember hearing about that tragedy in the MX world.

I’m also a few episodes into your podcast and I am enjoying them. Definitely makes the drive to work better. Listened to the 9/11 one today.

I have the stickers that Racer X was selling to raise funds for the team that year, the autographed ones.

I discovered your website via a postcard that was being handed out at a showing of On Any Sunday here in Michigan. Absolutely killer to see that legendary movie on the big screen.

Love the merchandise and will definitely be getting more.
I'm honored, Mud Pup! Thank you!

Post a reply to: The Darkest Day in Motocross: August 1, 1982

The Latest