The Baylor Brothers Join Sherco for 2020

redslush
Edited Date/Time 6/17/2020 7:29pm
Another big catch for FactoryOne Sherco. Had the pleasure of shooting the brothers down in SC for the reveal.

Excited to see how the year goes for them.
|
agn5009
12/17/2019 10:35am
They're making a huge push. They also signed Tim Coleman.
ehr400
12/17/2019 11:52am
Stew is a awesome dude. Met him a few years ago here in Michigan. Good people.

The Shop

BobPA
12/17/2019 11:55am
Damn, Sherco is putting together one hell of a team this year. Do they have an energy drink backer? I'm hoping this all pays off for them...More brands=More better.
grunkster
12/17/2019 1:19pm
Geez...first KTM loses the dunge, now these 2....hmmmmm
LungButter
12/17/2019 3:09pm
I think I said this in another thread...I predict lots of mechanicals for the Baylor boys unfortunately.

I definitely think it's cool that Sherco is stepping up, I just don't think that bike is gonna be ready for what they need to put it through to run at the pointy end of the pack in GNCC. It's quite a bit different demand on a bike to race 3 hours wide open at GNCC as opposed to the Euro style of Enduro.
ConnorD11
12/17/2019 4:00pm
LungButter wrote:
I think I said this in another thread...I predict lots of mechanicals for the Baylor boys unfortunately. I definitely think it's cool that Sherco is stepping...
I think I said this in another thread...I predict lots of mechanicals for the Baylor boys unfortunately.

I definitely think it's cool that Sherco is stepping up, I just don't think that bike is gonna be ready for what they need to put it through to run at the pointy end of the pack in GNCC. It's quite a bit different demand on a bike to race 3 hours wide open at GNCC as opposed to the Euro style of Enduro.
Not sure I agree with this so much. ISDE is among the most difficult races in the off-road world and Sherco had a fairly big presence there. Factory team is a factory team. They will come out strong.
JM485
12/17/2019 4:02pm
Props to Sherco for making such a huge push, the bikes look awesome and hopefully I’ll be able to try one out at some point.
agn5009
12/17/2019 4:10pm
LungButter wrote:
I think I said this in another thread...I predict lots of mechanicals for the Baylor boys unfortunately. I definitely think it's cool that Sherco is stepping...

Anyone can buy a stock bike and race GNCCs and finish every single round without issues. You honestly believe these guys, riding very good factory bikes with very good mechanics, wont be able to make it 3 hours??
Spergen
12/17/2019 5:05pm
agn5009 wrote:
Anyone can buy a stock bike and race GNCCs and finish every single round without issues. You honestly believe these guys, riding very good factory bikes...
Anyone can buy a stock bike and race GNCCs and finish every single round without issues. You honestly believe these guys, riding very good factory bikes with very good mechanics, wont be able to make it 3 hours??
Among a couple of enduro riders I chat to, who are paid and on factory equipment refer to them as shitco. Make of that what you will.
Johnny Depp
12/17/2019 5:23pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2019 5:29pm
agn5009 wrote:
Anyone can buy a stock bike and race GNCCs and finish every single round without issues. You honestly believe these guys, riding very good factory bikes...
Spergen wrote:
Among a couple of enduro riders I chat to, who are paid and on factory equipment refer to them as shitco. Make of that what you...
Among a couple of enduro riders I chat to, who are paid and on factory equipment refer to them as shitco. Make of that what you will.
These bikes? Are you crazy?

"Just last year, Sherco’s Wade Young won three biggies: Red Bull Romaniacs, Red Bull 111 Megawatt, and Sea To Sky. And, Spanish rider Mario Roman won the 24 MX Alestrem in France and Hell’s Gate in Italy. Just two weeks ago, Roman and Young both finished in the top five at the ErzbergRodeo. As you can see, Sherco is not just a fly-by-night brand but one that is serious about building competitive off-road motorcycles and want to leave their mark in the off-road racing history book."

https://www.cyclenews.com/2019/06/article/2020-sherco-off-roaders-revie…

Now that Sherco has poached some SERIOUS talent away from the Orange Team, expect more butt hurt Kool Aid drinkers talking shit about them. The season hasn't even started yet, this is getting fun already. Too bad my Beta boys didn't step up with a team like this. The results will be forthcoming, calm your tits.
agn5009
12/17/2019 5:46pm
agn5009 wrote:
Spergen wrote:
Among a couple of enduro riders I chat to, who are paid and on factory equipment refer to them as shitco. Make of that what you...
I dont make much of it at all. I have personally ridden them and have friends who have them. They've been very reliable and they're absolutely fantastic bikes. It's going to be cool seeing Sherco get a bunch of top 5's and a few podiums in the GNCC's next year.
Spergen
12/17/2019 5:50pm
These bikes? Are you crazy? "Just last year, Sherco’s Wade Young won three biggies: Red Bull Romaniacs, Red Bull 111 Megawatt, and Sea To Sky. And...

"Just last year, Sherco’s Wade Young won three biggies: Red Bull Romaniacs, Red Bull 111 Megawatt, and Sea To Sky. And, Spanish rider Mario Roman won the 24 MX Alestrem in France and Hell’s Gate in Italy. Just two weeks ago, Roman and Young both finished in the top five at the ErzbergRodeo. As you can see, Sherco is not just a fly-by-night brand but one that is serious about building competitive off-road motorcycles and want to leave their mark in the off-road racing history book."

Now that Sherco has poached some SERIOUS talent away from the Orange Team, expect more butt hurt Kool Aid drinkers talking shit about them. The season hasn't even started yet, this is getting fun already. Too bad my Beta boys didn't step up with a team like this. The results will be forthcoming, calm your tits.
No I'm not crazy I have never ridden one, just repeating exactly what 2 pros said to me while chatting in confidence. I'm not giving specifics as it's their beef and jobs on the line.

Ps I do really like beta though and would love to update my gas gas trials bike to one, and possibly my enduro when it's retirement time.
Johnny Depp
12/17/2019 6:33pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2019 7:33pm
In retrospect it's probably some factory riders upset that Sherco dares to take wins and podiums in a series they built for themselves to showcase their bikes. They may have to come up with a new rule or series now. Damn white and blue bikes screwing up the plan Smile
LungButter
12/17/2019 8:18pm
agn5009 wrote:
I guess we'll have to wait and find out.

All the victories Johnny Depp pointed out were 2 strokes. I question the reliability of the Sherco 4 Stroke under the heat/stress of GNCC, it's a whole different world than Enduro Racing like they are used to. If I'm not mistaken multiple Factory supported Shercos had DNFs at ISDE this year with motor issues.
Johnny Depp
12/17/2019 9:52pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2019 9:58pm
agn5009 wrote:
LungButter wrote:
I guess we'll have to wait and find out. All the victories Johnny Depp pointed out were 2 strokes. I question the reliability of the Sherco...
I guess we'll have to wait and find out.

All the victories Johnny Depp pointed out were 2 strokes. I question the reliability of the Sherco 4 Stroke under the heat/stress of GNCC, it's a whole different world than Enduro Racing like they are used to. If I'm not mistaken multiple Factory supported Shercos had DNFs at ISDE this year with motor issues.
You are right the bigger 4t's are a bit of an unknown to us. They did win a stage of the Dakar though, and the 300 4t was the 1st Enduro GP Champion.

I imagine if there were problems with the bikes it may not have been all 4t's? There were a few races this year where dust destroyed engines of all colored bikes and DNF's were abundant, I'm not sure if that was the case at the 6 days?

Regardless what engine they ride, the Baylor Brothers could surely compete up front, Jr. won the first NEPG Enduro in many years on a 2t this year. Beta's finished 2nd in 125's and 3rd in 250 GNCC classes this year on 2t's, it can be done.
navalseabee
12/17/2019 10:20pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2019 10:23pm
agn5009 wrote:
Sherco in no way shape or form goes racing the same way KTM does as far as support is concerned.

The Baylor brothers are such good people, i wish them the best with the switch and hope to see Sherco grow, the bikes really are good.
Tuna
12/18/2019 4:02am
These bikes? Are you crazy? "Just last year, Sherco’s Wade Young won three biggies: Red Bull Romaniacs, Red Bull 111 Megawatt, and Sea To Sky. And...

Spergen wrote:
No I'm not crazy I have never ridden one, just repeating exactly what 2 pros said to me while chatting in confidence. I'm not giving specifics...
No I'm not crazy I have never ridden one, just repeating exactly what 2 pros said to me while chatting in confidence. I'm not giving specifics as it's their beef and jobs on the line.

Ps I do really like beta though and would love to update my gas gas trials bike to one, and possibly my enduro when it's retirement time.
I’d be worrying about a Beta falling apart before a Sherco. Coleman and Teasdale were both pretty open saying the Beta couldn’t make it through hard enduro’s reliably and lacked factory support. The Sherco’s are working just fine.
Johnny Depp
12/18/2019 6:20am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2019 6:28am

Spergen wrote:
No I'm not crazy I have never ridden one, just repeating exactly what 2 pros said to me while chatting in confidence. I'm not giving specifics...

Tuna wrote:
I’d be worrying about a Beta falling apart before a Sherco. Coleman and Teasdale were both pretty open saying the Beta couldn’t make it through hard...
I’d be worrying about a Beta falling apart before a Sherco. Coleman and Teasdale were both pretty open saying the Beta couldn’t make it through hard enduro’s reliably and lacked factory support. The Sherco’s are working just fine.
Got a link on those "qoute's"? 1st I've heard of it.

Off the top of my head Beta's Benjamin Herrera finished 2nd to the WESS champ Lettenbichler 2 weeks ago at the Red Bull Override 6 hr. hard enduro in TX. In '17 Jordan Ashburn won the Revlimiter Hard Enduro in TX on the Beta which has become an important part of the new American Hard Enduro series.

That's a better finish than Tim Coleman ever had in his first attempt. Tim is a great trick trials rider, and did much for Beta exposure with his Cross Training Hard Enduro videos, but he's got a ways to go as a racer.

There's plenty of rider's that have success on Beta early in their career and then move on to other colors. Nothing to be concerned with the bikes over, Beta has no major sponsor or race team owner able to make that big time support possible. Beta team riders get a van and a mechanic etc. We'll see how the new Sherco 1st year team does.
Spergen
12/18/2019 6:57am
In retrospect it's probably some factory riders upset that Sherco dares to take wins and podiums in a series they built for themselves to showcase [i]their[/i]...
In retrospect it's probably some factory riders upset that Sherco dares to take wins and podiums in a series they built for themselves to showcase their bikes. They may have to come up with a new rule or series now. Damn white and blue bikes screwing up the plan Smile
They were both riding sherco factory 4 strokes at the time, I also know they wanted to swap to the 2 stroke but we're not allowed. Hence why I'm not saying much more. Was a couple of years ago so might of been a development year for them? Have not seen either of them for ages now as they moved away to be on different teams.

Besides I think any brand these days would be fine for us mere mortals, it's just a case of what brand suits our riding style most.
LungButter
3/10/2020 5:42am
agn5009 wrote:
Well, 2 rounds in and Big Stu already has a DNF from a mechanical....
agn5009
3/10/2020 5:45am Edited Date/Time 3/10/2020 5:48am
agn5009 wrote:
LungButter wrote:
Well, 2 rounds in and Big Stu already has a DNF from a mechanical....
Not a good week for the Baylor bros. Are you gonna bring up the guys on KTM, Husky, Yamaha etc when they DNF? You act like none of those bikes have ever broke down.
LungButter
3/10/2020 9:47am
agn5009 wrote:
Not a good week for the Baylor bros. Are you gonna bring up the guys on KTM, Husky, Yamaha etc when they DNF? You act like...
Not a good week for the Baylor bros. Are you gonna bring up the guys on KTM, Husky, Yamaha etc when they DNF? You act like none of those bikes have ever broke down.
Of course those other bikes break too, this isn't my first rodeo so I understand how it works.

But 2 rounds in it seems like my prediction that you thought was crazy isn't looking so crazy.
Hudd_421
3/10/2020 10:15am
Talking to some off road insiders, not many pro level guys have been able to get more than 20 hours out of them.

I think they're probably holding well for hard enduro, but no where near the demand of a top level GNCC or Sprint Enduro racer. and also 2 stroke vs 4 may play a factor.
Johnny Depp
3/10/2020 10:18am
LungButter wrote:

OK, OK, you called this one. Nostra Damus.

You just may be right about GNCC being a different level of endurance, the EnduroGP's are after all a bunch of special tests like a Sprint Enduro these days.

I love rooting for the underdog manufacturer's, and I'm sorry to see Sherco having a tough go of it so far. If nothing else (no championship hopes) perhaps they can do some development work.
MX915
3/10/2020 11:34am
It was pretty clear it was some kind of electrical issue. Its not like they're throwing rods through the cases. If Grant’s tank didn't break (some kind of Frankenstein part, not OEM) he probably would have been top 5.

Lets be honest, are any euro manufacturers really known for their flawless wiring systems (i.e. 2016 KTM condensers)?
ccullins
3/10/2020 11:46am
Knowing something about off-road racing and pro riders I’ll say this. They put stresses on bikes that normal people don’t. Things break and wear for them in race conditions that no one can think of.

Sherco is a new bike for any rider at that level to be racing, so it’s hard to know what will be an issue. On the other hand guys at that level have been racing KTM/Husky, Yamaha, Kawasaki etc. for a long time so they know what needs to be addressed before the race bike is ever fired up. If KTM was a new brand with the same exact production bike they would be having failures too their first few pro races.
3/10/2020 12:22pm
LungButter wrote:
Of course those other bikes break too, this isn't my first rodeo so I understand how it works. But 2 rounds in it seems like my...
Of course those other bikes break too, this isn't my first rodeo so I understand how it works.

But 2 rounds in it seems like my prediction that you thought was crazy isn't looking so crazy.
Grant would have been at least running Top 5 but couldn’t because he tipped over and broke the dry break spigot (An entirely IMS setup mind you) and then finished the day without a single issue from his bike. Stu DNF’s because of a weird fan setup (I don’t even know if that’s a factory Sherco mod) despite running top 2.

All in all what could have been a great weekend for Sherco became a nightmare due to one part chance, and one part poor part planning.

Shit happens, it’s the second race of the series.
JMoulton311
Fantasy
2778th
3/10/2020 12:46pm
Unless they've switched to a different setup than what they were running at Big Buck, the gas tank was a stock Sherco tank with the regular screw on cap cut off and a small plastic riser "plastic welded" on to accept a dry break receiver. IMS or anyone could have rigged this up for them, but I'm not really surprised Grant broke the tank with a setup like that. I don't believe anyone manufactures an oversized Dry break setup for those bikes yet.

Post a reply to: The Baylor Brothers Join Sherco for 2020

The Latest