That rumored #7 Zook...

WhKnuckle
Edited Date/Time 4/17/2012 7:28am
I saw this paragraph in the May MXA, in a comment about having tested both RC and James' bikes:

"James' YZ450F setup is dominated by forks so stiff that they don't actually move. James has proven that he can go faster on the test track with his ultra-stiff front end than with forks that actually go up and down. But, in the heat of a race, when you can't always get the best line or are trying to make cuts that aren't in the play book, those rigid forks result in a very slack head angle that tends to wash the front end out. James doesn't have tire or bike issues - he has a fork issue. He has begun to soften up his suspension as the season progresses."

So will a Suzuki with forks that don't move going to work better than a Yamaha with forks that don't move?
|
SlowMoFo
4/16/2012 4:47pm
Im pretty sure there is more than stiff forks!Unsure
Sherwood
4/16/2012 5:34pm
Kris Keefer, a test rider for Yamaha has gone on record saying when you start adding horsepower the Yamaha starts acting funny and can be inconsistent lap to lap.

Now will a switch from Yamaha to Suzuki stop him from crashing IMO no. But hopefully it will let him win more than he crashes.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/16/2012 5:37pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2012 5:38pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
I saw this paragraph in the May MXA, in a comment about having tested both RC and James' bikes: "James' YZ450F setup is dominated by forks...
I saw this paragraph in the May MXA, in a comment about having tested both RC and James' bikes:

"James' YZ450F setup is dominated by forks so stiff that they don't actually move. James has proven that he can go faster on the test track with his ultra-stiff front end than with forks that actually go up and down. But, in the heat of a race, when you can't always get the best line or are trying to make cuts that aren't in the play book, those rigid forks result in a very slack head angle that tends to wash the front end out. James doesn't have tire or bike issues - he has a fork issue. He has begun to soften up his suspension as the season progresses."

So will a Suzuki with forks that don't move going to work better than a Yamaha with forks that don't move?
Which era was that quote from? Current day? Or during L&M time? (And that included a couple different flavors of setup.) Last year James was blazing fast everywhere but the corners. This year he didn't look nearly as skittish while cornering.
WhKnuckle
4/16/2012 5:52pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
I saw this paragraph in the May MXA, in a comment about having tested both RC and James' bikes: "James' YZ450F setup is dominated by forks...

GuyB wrote:
Which era was that quote from? Current day? Or during L&M time? (And that included a couple different flavors of setup.) Last year James was blazing...
Which era was that quote from? Current day? Or during L&M time? (And that included a couple different flavors of setup.) Last year James was blazing fast everywhere but the corners. This year he didn't look nearly as skittish while cornering.
I don't know which bike MXA referred to, but the quote was taken from the May '012 issue, in "Mail Entries", pg 55. From the context, it looks to me like they're referring to current-day bikes, especially considering the "He has begun to soften his suspension up as the season progresses" comment. How MXA would know specifically what JBS is doing to his bike from time to time is anyone's guess - in fact, it might just be MXA's guess.

However it all works out, I'd sure like to see James riding outdoors again, on a bike that he believes in.

The Shop

4/16/2012 6:00pm
I have said it for the last two years: It is not the bike, it is his set up. he wants to be able to blitz the whoops and jump anything so he has the bike set up for that. He suffers in the turns and soft stuff as a result.
motoracer633
4/16/2012 6:22pm
please, lets not refer to anything mxa says about bike setup as having any clout.
fader418
4/16/2012 6:40pm
WhKnuckle wrote:

I read the first sentence and that was enough for me. Can't believe people actually read MXA.
4/16/2012 7:00pm
please, lets not refer to anything mxa says about bike setup as having any clout.
Jody and his crew are not dummies, and they have had the opportuinity to ride and test some of the finest motocross machines in their era for several years.
4/16/2012 7:00pm
WhKnuckle wrote:

fader418 wrote:
I read the first sentence and that was enough for me. Can't believe people actually read MXA.
As opposed to reading what? Or just getting your info here! WinkLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
jmar
4/16/2012 7:05pm
WhKnuckle wrote:

fader418 wrote:
And you own a ?

Don't take this kind of thing so personal. The Yamaha works fine for some, and not so good for others.
KAWboy14
4/16/2012 7:08pm
WhKnuckle wrote:

GuyB wrote:
Which era was that quote from? Current day? Or during L&M time? (And that included a couple different flavors of setup.) Last year James was blazing...
i would comment and say something like "he is riding way over the front of the bike this year and not enough off the back" but you would just think i didnt know what i was saying so i wont say it this time
newmann
4/16/2012 8:04pm
WhKnuckle wrote:

fader418 wrote:
Name one magazine that puts out a credible test then.
CR250Rider
4/16/2012 8:21pm
to belittle MXA's moto wisdom is to indict yourself as a, well, a tard
CR250Rider
4/16/2012 8:23pm
I have said it for the last two years: It is not the bike, it is his set up. he wants to be able to blitz...
I have said it for the last two years: It is not the bike, it is his set up. he wants to be able to blitz the whoops and jump anything so he has the bike set up for that. He suffers in the turns and soft stuff as a result.
to say james is slow in any turn versus his competition is proof of your stupidity
rallendude
4/16/2012 8:26pm
As a general statement Bubba's forks have been too stiff his whole career. He's been over the bars and on his head in turns more times than I can count due to, what appears to me to be, too stiff suspension. I don't think anyone is really shocked by that statement are they?

I think getting on the Suzuki would be great for Bubba but would have been even better if DeCoster was still there. It just appears to me his whole program is out of control. Kind of like the Alessis but opposite. No direction, no focus, no motivation. Along with struggling with the bike.
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
4/16/2012 8:30pm
I have said it for the last two years: It is not the bike, it is his set up. he wants to be able to blitz...
CR250Rider wrote:
to say james is slow in any turn versus his competition is proof of your stupidity
The Dunge and Villo and Cr22 are ALL faster than him in the turns. "Period".
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
4/16/2012 8:38pm
That's the same thing MXA has written about every SX bike they've touched. Said the same thing about McGraths.

If he doesn't believe in the bike, then he should get off it. Reed did the same thing, but it didn't mean the bike was bad, just not for him.
motoracer633
4/17/2012 12:28am
CR250Rider wrote:
to belittle MXA's moto wisdom is to indict yourself as a, well, a tard
tard?! ok, former pro in the 90's, race tech in arenacross and the second highest producing tech at chaparral which is basically the biggest shop in the usa. But i probably have know idea how to set a bike up. gee, sorry! MXA's settings are quite often hideous.
Phillips467
4/17/2012 1:35am
Josh Coppins said on a podcast with Matthes that when you start adding more and more horsepower to the Yam, it becomes a lot worse.
4/17/2012 1:44am
Josh Coppins said on a podcast with Matthes that when you start adding more and more horsepower to the Yam, it becomes a lot worse.
He's not the only one to say that.
4/17/2012 2:10am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2012 8:38am
He's not the only one to say that.
Drfletcher
4/17/2012 5:27am
The forks James runs are Showa, not Kayaba. Its kinda a like a girlfriend, sometimes you get tired of her and can't stand to be around her but there is some other guy ready to take her for a spin.
4/17/2012 5:28am
CR250Rider wrote:
The fact that you cannot read is evidence of your fuckstupidness. I did not say he was slow, I also did not say anything about his competition being faster or slower. I said he suffered in the turns, meaning his suspension set up is not ideal for turning at the speeds he rides. The front end is way too stiff to turn at the speeds he rides unless he is perfect every single time through every turn.
pete24
4/17/2012 5:34am
tard?! ok, former pro in the 90's, race tech in arenacross and the second highest producing tech at chaparral which is basically the biggest shop in...
tard?! ok, former pro in the 90's, race tech in arenacross and the second highest producing tech at chaparral which is basically the biggest shop in the usa. But i probably have know idea how to set a bike up. gee, sorry! MXA's settings are quite often hideous.
DING DING DING, pat yourself on the back buddy, but no one really cares who you are
motoracer633
4/17/2012 6:08am
tard?! ok, former pro in the 90's, race tech in arenacross and the second highest producing tech at chaparral which is basically the biggest shop in...
pete24 wrote:
DING DING DING, pat yourself on the back buddy, but no one really cares who you are
DING DING DING, but those who call other folks Tards because they might not share their feeling that MXA is GOD might have something to learn by knowing who they are calling Tards? My customers are the ones who pat me on the back.
Spode
4/17/2012 6:33am
pete24 wrote:
DING DING DING, but those who call other folks Tards because they might not share their feeling that MXA is GOD might have something to learn...
DING DING DING, but those who call other folks Tards because they might not share their feeling that MXA is GOD might have something to learn by knowing who they are calling Tards? My customers are the ones who pat me on the back.
The Tards are the pepole that take there bikes to Crap arall for repairs

the walmart of MX
4/17/2012 6:42am
all i can say about the bike is i hhave never sold anyone 2.(and i sell tons of MX bikes) anybody who bought a 10 or 11 from me bought another brand the next year. in fact a Pro Rider we sponsored and gave two 250's and two 450's brought one of the 450's back. keep in mind we GAVE him the bikes. he could not wait to get off them and back on Honda's. James bike is nowhere near the stockers but very few people i talk to like them. i took 2 laps on a 2010 and parked it.
motoracer633
4/17/2012 6:44am
i would agree, but as a tech it was good money. I'm in south carolina now. i work on boats for the most part now and just help out a few youngsters in mx and some long time customers. but those 909's are the same type that believe everything in MXA!
Phil Collins
4/17/2012 6:46am
There is a wealth of knowledge in MXA, it is just that they write with a cynical, sarcastic tone that some people just don't "get".

They also write for the "every man". So when they say forks are "stiff" they are just trying to get the point across to their reader. They aren't saying any other pro's are any softer.

Post a reply to: That rumored #7 Zook...

The Latest