Texas Motocross Scene

Lucky13FIST
Edited Date/Time 8/10/2019 8:37am
I will be relocating to Texas later this month. From what I can gather from Vurbmoto's track map, Dallas has most of the tracks in it's surrounding area. How do the other cities like Austin/ San Antonio and Houston stack up against Dallas as far as riding/racing goes?

-Shops/ dealerships?
-Weekday and Night practices?
-Race Promoters?
-Track Fees?

Any input or feedback from people already in Texas would be great!
|
Thelen20
5/1/2016 12:17pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2016 12:19pm
We have tons of good tracks and races every weekend if you want to. Night racing, series racing, vet racing, all you could ever ask for!

True, the Dallas/ft worth area has by far the most going on, everything on your list is going on there. . . but there are good tracks in each region you mentioned.

Welcome to Texas!
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/1/2016 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2016 12:25pm
I will be relocating to Texas later this month. From what I can gather from Vurbmoto's track map, Dallas has most of the tracks in it's...
I will be relocating to Texas later this month. From what I can gather from Vurbmoto's track map, Dallas has most of the tracks in it's surrounding area. How do the other cities like Austin/ San Antonio and Houston stack up against Dallas as far as riding/racing goes?

-Shops/ dealerships?
-Race Promoters?
-Track Fees?

San Antonio has cycle ranch (there was talk that it closed then reopened) and down by Houston there is 3 palms, and then you have Freesrone. Having that been said, I think DFW has the biggest conglomerates of tracks.
Jaybird67k
5/1/2016 12:22pm
I will be relocating to Texas later this month. From what I can gather from Vurbmoto's track map, Dallas has most of the tracks in it's...

-Shops/ dealerships?
-Race Promoters?
-Track Fees?

I live 1&1/2 to 2 hours East of Houston and have raced District 20 for a while so that's my vote. I have traveled to lots of the other Texas tracks around Dallas and Austin/San Antonio area and I see the most choices and best prepped tracks in the Houston area.
3 Palms, Rio Bravo, Freedom MX(Highlands), Ultimate, Freestone and Splendora to name a few "in town" ones then you have a pile of short drive ones like Swan, Murphy's, Austin Delle Valle and Cycle Ranch if it's still open.

I'm sure I have missed a bunch.

Chime in Ryan RPM168

Jason
5/1/2016 12:27pm
good topic since i will be a few months a year in the Arlington area for work is there anyone from those surroundings that could help me find the way to some tracks and do's and dont's for that matter.

i will be 5-8 months in Usa so i like to think i'm better of buying a bike there than renting one everytime i get there
and rent a garagebox or something when i'm not there if thats safe off course

The Shop

Lucky13FIST
5/1/2016 12:38pm
Great information so far! What is the deal with Red Rock MX, I see you have to be a member but who can become a member?
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/1/2016 1:00pm
Village Creek is in that general vicinity. Has both, a day track and night track.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/1/2016 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2016 1:07pm
Great information so far! What is the deal with Red Rock MX, I see you have to be a member but who can become a member?
Red Rock? Where is it located? I haven't heard of it(which doesn't say much) but I bet someone in this thread will know.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
5/1/2016 1:24pm
Houston has quite a bit to offer. We have 3 palms which has 3 or 4 tracks , highlands which is now called freedom Mx, rio bravo real cool with a night track swimming pool and real restrooms with showers, and there is also a track a little further south called ultimate it's ok has day and night practice not so good for sat and Sunday riding though.
Its169
5/1/2016 1:41pm
I live in Houston and find the mx scene very healthy with a heap of riders and lots of tracks. I am relatively new to Texas but have found the mx community very welcoming and friendly. I don't have a favorite track as I enjoy them all but they all offer something different which is great. We just need the sx to return to Houston and the outdoors to be back at Freestone. Tx is mx paradise. Good luck, enjoy.

Red rock mx is close to Austin. Never been but heard it's awesome.
mbw416
5/1/2016 2:30pm
Welcome to the best country in the world! Smile

My favorite tracks are:
Cycle Ranch
Underground
River Valley
Oak Hill
Buffalo Creek
Greenville MX
Mini Elsinore
5/1/2016 2:31pm
I just want to go on the record.
The nicest folks I have ever met in over 40 years of moto reside in Texas.
They will race your ass off---but give you the shirt off their back.
Hope you enjoy the scene---I did.
Cokeham23
5/1/2016 4:15pm Edited Date/Time 5/1/2016 4:20pm

-Shops/ dealerships?
-Race Promoters?
-Track Fees?

For the DFW area, there's a good amount of quality shops (and guys who just work on bikes from their garage), and dealerships.
You'll have a few tracks to pick from for week day riding.
For night practices, you have Village on Tuesdays, Badlands on Wednesdays, and River Valley on Fridays.
Track fees for practice are usually around $25.

I'm a little biased, but I think the DFW area is the place to be in Texas for riding. You have a lot of options to pick from, and if you get bored or just want to mix it up one weekend, most Houston, Austin, and Oklahoma tracks are only about 3-4 hours away.
Cokeham23
5/1/2016 4:18pm
Moens_Andy wrote:
good topic since i will be a few months a year in the Arlington area for work is there anyone from those surroundings that could help...
good topic since i will be a few months a year in the Arlington area for work is there anyone from those surroundings that could help me find the way to some tracks and do's and dont's for that matter.

i will be 5-8 months in Usa so i like to think i'm better of buying a bike there than renting one everytime i get there

I live in Arlington. Shoot me a PM or email, and I can try to help you out with whatever questions you have.
Chadwalsh23@gmail.com
Thelen20
5/1/2016 4:21pm
It is an EPIC place!!! Getting on the "invite" list is as easy as sending Matt an email to moto@redrockmx.com

It is also recently up for sale but I can't see it closing, it is too good to close down.

This slice of moto Heaven is now for sale: It's time to pass the Red Rock Motocross Park torch on to someone else. Own this motocross paradise in the rolling hills just outside Forbe’s #1 fastest growing city in America - Austin, Texas. 91 acres of rolling lush green pastureland with beautiful pine forests and oak trees just 30 miles from the Austin airport. Just 24 miles from The Circuit of Americas facility that hosts Formula One and MotoGP racing as well as the X-Games.
The ranch includes a turn-key National caliber motocross track with plentiful elevation changes and the best Texas sand/red clay soil mix you will find. One large pond and three smaller ponds. Abundant wildlife such as white tail deer, wild turkey, bobcats, and more roam the ranch and surrounding forests. The majority of the meticulously manicured property is fenced, covered with coastal Bermuda grass and is grazed by cattle. The property carries an agricultural tax exemption.
The home site nestled privately in the middle of the ranch overlooks rolling pastureland to the East, the motocross track to the West, and includes an 18,000 gallon in-ground swimming pool, 1,200 sqft. workshop, a pad ready to build your future home, and a temporary 3/2 1,500 sqft manufactured home to live in while you build. A complete permitted utility package with water, electric and septic is in place at the home site.
Ten (10) 30/50 amp RV sites overlooking the ranch for your guests to enjoy their visit. Permitted water well, septic and electric. Two (2) 400 amp meter loops – one for the home site, one for the RV sites. No deed restrictions, homeowners associations, or ordinances restrict use of the motocross track or hunting.
Centrally located 36 miles from “The Live Music Capital of the World” downtown Austin, Texas - 90 minutes to The Riverwalk in downtown San Antonio, and 2.5 hours to downtown Houston.
An optional heavy equipment package is available. Equipment details upon request.
$1,595,000
Serious inquiries only please e-mail moto@redrockmx.com #redrockmx @redrockmx @promotocross @racerxonline @motocrossactionmag @twmxdotcom @pulpmx @dirtridermag #moto #motocross

A photo posted by Red Rock Motocross Club (@redrockmx) on Apr 14, 2016 at 6:25pm PDT

Thelen20
5/1/2016 4:29pm
Not to turn this into a Red Rock MX commercial but you really should scroll through their instagram account @redrockmx

Shorty had been doing his national prep there the last week or so

#250Heat1 @redrockmx this morning. Who wants to rail this first lap? ✊✊ #redrockmx #dirt #texas #acerbisusa

A photo posted by Red Rock Motocross Club (@redrockmx) on Feb 28, 2016 at 6:43am PST

tylermx967
5/1/2016 6:16pm
I FORM TEXAS AND THINK THAT THE SEEN HERE THE BEST OF ANYWERE. MY FAVERITE TRACK IS CYCUL RANCH
Pirate421
5/1/2016 7:04pm
San Antonio south has nothing to offer. The triangle of Austin Houston and Dallas is pretty strong. I would vote for Dallas area because of the tracks and a good off road scene if you're into that. Austin has a few tracks I really like Rio Bravo, even tho I destroyed my collarbone there. 3 palms has a ton to offer. Lots of tracks in Texas that are prepped well when they aren't being destroyed by storms every other week.
Paw Paw 271
5/1/2016 7:15pm
There is one track I have not seen listed in this post and that is SWAN in Tyler, Texas.
Only about 1 hour and 45 min's from Arlington.

Paw Paw
Lucky13FIST
5/1/2016 7:55pm
It's great to hear nothing but good stuff! Who are the promoters that put on the races? How harsh are the winters in DFW area? Is it possible to ride 12 months a year?
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
5/1/2016 8:49pm
Winter???

Ask yourself if you can handle the heat instead.
Lucky13FIST
5/1/2016 9:02pm
disbanded wrote:
Winter???

Ask yourself if you can handle the heat instead.
If I were curious about the heat, I would ask about the heat.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
5/1/2016 9:06pm
Fair enough. Good luck with that.
Chains
5/1/2016 9:36pm
We have spent a'lot of time down in Texas the last few years and those guys are spoiled rotten with all the good tracks down there.

I agree with what alot of the folks are saying about the Dallas/FT Worth area having the most options.

We have had zero problems with track owners or the riders themselves. Lots of good folks down there.

ps Redrock kicks ass!
Lucky13FIST
5/1/2016 9:57pm
Chains wrote:
We have spent a'lot of time down in Texas the last few years and those guys are spoiled rotten with all the good tracks down there...
We have spent a'lot of time down in Texas the last few years and those guys are spoiled rotten with all the good tracks down there.

I agree with what alot of the folks are saying about the Dallas/FT Worth area having the most options.

We have had zero problems with track owners or the riders themselves. Lots of good folks down there.

ps Redrock kicks ass!
Great insight and confirmation on what I am hoping for. As far as being spoiled rotten on all the good tracks....Well I'm okay with that!
5/2/2016 12:40am
Moens_Andy wrote:
good topic since i will be a few months a year in the Arlington area for work is there anyone from those surroundings that could help...

Cokeham23 wrote:

I live in Arlington. Shoot me a PM or email, and I can try to help you out with whatever questions you have.
Chadwalsh23@gmail.com
Thnx Chad, i've tried to find you on FB with no luck unfortunately because its easier to have a conversation. I've saved your email address and will get in touch with you when its almost go time its all about planning now so not sure on when i would be there.

RPM68
5/2/2016 7:48am Edited Date/Time 5/2/2016 7:55am
Texas is the best. We have great racing from multiple regions, and the people of Texas Motocross truly are exceptional.

We cook extremely well, we drink cold beer, and have some of the best dirt in the world.

I love Houston, but growing up you werent shit unless you were racing in Dallas. They have the most competitive racing, Houston has more of the family environment.

It is very difficult to beat 3 Palms, Rio, and Freedom. All are within 45 minutes of each other and all offer weekend prep that cant be beat.

EDIT:
The heat isnt that bad, ride in the mornings and hit the lake or pool during the afternoon. We have 2 big lakes, one 20 minutes from 3 Palms, and another 2 minutes from Rio Bravo and Freedom.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/2/2016 7:54am
There is one track I have not seen listed in this post and that is SWAN in Tyler, Texas. Only about 1 hour and 45 min's...
There is one track I have not seen listed in this post and that is SWAN in Tyler, Texas.
Only about 1 hour and 45 min's from Arlington.

Paw Paw
Jaybird67 mentioned it in the beginning of the thread. Great place though.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/2/2016 7:57am
disbanded wrote:
Wow! Disbanded was just trying to help. Fuse too short.
RPM68
5/2/2016 8:09am
disbanded wrote:
kzizok wrote:
Wow! Disbanded was just trying to help. Fuse too short.
ya you'll have to sharpen up on the southern kindness if you wanna fit in 'round these parts!

Post a reply to: Texas Motocross Scene

The Latest