Testament to RV

12/3/2017 3:50pm
While RV was consistently faster, he wasn't consistent like Dungey. He was injury prone. Dungey's mental strength often wasn't on display in the way fans enjoy it the most. If a guy is rarely on the ground (when it counts) he starts to look slow or complacent, but Dunge was smart. He had the ability to see and think things no one else did and use them to his advantage over time. His speed/consistency/injury ratio make him special in a way RC was. Not that he won everything, but his cerebral way of controlled aggression was enough for a load of titles the size of Lake Minnetonka.

+ Suzuki implosion, KTM, etc..
Juice_Mann
12/3/2017 4:02pm
While RV was consistently faster, he wasn't consistent like Dungey. He was injury prone. Dungey's mental strength often wasn't on display in the way fans enjoy...
While RV was consistently faster, he wasn't consistent like Dungey. He was injury prone. Dungey's mental strength often wasn't on display in the way fans enjoy it the most. If a guy is rarely on the ground (when it counts) he starts to look slow or complacent, but Dunge was smart. He had the ability to see and think things no one else did and use them to his advantage over time. His speed/consistency/injury ratio make him special in a way RC was. Not that he won everything, but his cerebral way of controlled aggression was enough for a load of titles the size of Lake Minnetonka.

He wasn't consistent like Dungey? RV won almost every title the two contested each other in. On 250s and 450s.
12/3/2017 4:12pm
While RV was consistently faster, he wasn't consistent like Dungey. He was injury prone. Dungey's mental strength often wasn't on display in the way fans enjoy...

Juice_Mann wrote:
He wasn't consistent like Dungey? RV won almost every title the two contested each other in. On 250s and 450s.
I didn't say RV wasn't faster or that he wasn't consistent in his own way, since he was. If you read what I wrote, your argument doesn't follow.
Hut
12/3/2017 4:43pm
4 SX titles in a row, very inconsistent....lol

The Shop

12/3/2017 5:34pm
Hut wrote:
4 SX titles in a row, very inconsistent....lol
Awwww c'mon. Its not like RV won outdoors all that often on the 450. I remember him being gone as much as I do his titles. He's awesome, and the four titles in a row say consistent, but more went on than consecutive SX titles.
12/3/2017 5:41pm
Awwww c'mon. Its not like RV won outdoors all that often on the 450. I remember him being gone as much as I do his titles...
Awwww c'mon. Its not like RV won outdoors all that often on the 450. I remember him being gone as much as I do his titles. He's awesome, and the four titles in a row say consistent, but more went on than consecutive SX titles.
He won it as many times as he raced it.. not sure how he could have done anymore?
mxb2
12/3/2017 5:53pm
Awwww c'mon. Its not like RV won outdoors all that often on the 450. I remember him being gone as much as I do his titles...
He won it as many times as he raced it.. not sure how he could have done anymore?
X2, second most titles behind Rc, lol.
Hut
12/3/2017 6:02pm
mxb2 wrote:
X2, second most titles behind Rc, lol.
Only 5 Outdoor National Titles, that's all Cool
12/3/2017 6:28pm
Heh, RV's legend has already been shined to the point where you're all doing your hair in the reflection. You can put your brushes away for a minute and get out your RV soaked snot rags long enough to wipe a little dust off for the Dunge.
mxb2
12/3/2017 6:29pm
Heh, RV's legend has already been shined to the point where you're all doing your hair in the reflection. You can put your brushes away for...
Heh, RV's legend has already been shined to the point where you're all doing your hair in the reflection. You can put your brushes away for a minute and get out your RV soaked snot rags long enough to wipe a little dust off for the Dunge.
I like both dungey and rv, but Rv was the better racer. Resumes don't lie.
Sully
12/3/2017 7:47pm
TeamGreen wrote:
They BOTH F'ing CRUSHED IT!

There ain't no reason to say anything-else.
Manny gets it.

Some of you really need to get it through your skulls that a compliment to one rider isn't a slight on another. These guys had two of the best careers this sport has ever seen, and yet, here you are arguing like [not-your-guy] sucked. Get over it, they both were/are two of the best to ever do it.
Phantom 661
12/3/2017 7:48pm
Both had stellar careers. Both are up very high on the all time list. It will be some time before we see another make the kind of stats that RV and RD put down. Both are Elite Champions of the sport. And finally, both appear to respect each other after all is said and done.
12/3/2017 8:33pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2017 8:36pm
Sully wrote:
Manny gets it. Some of you really need to get it through your skulls that a compliment to one rider isn't a slight on another. These...
Manny gets it.

Some of you really need to get it through your skulls that a compliment to one rider isn't a slight on another. These guys had two of the best careers this sport has ever seen, and yet, here you are arguing like [not-your-guy] sucked. Get over it, they both were/are two of the best to ever do it.
What are you, some kind of mind reader? People can talk shit and have real or imagined disagreements without being assholes. That's way unlike not being an asshole when you tell others what they're saying without them having said it. You know, if we just let our fingers bounce off the keys like our heros were all participants at the trophy store it'd get pretty lame around here. Yeah they're all great. Go make a topic with "they're all great" as the title and have at it. May you never change, vital.
Sully
12/3/2017 9:15pm
Sully wrote:
Manny gets it. Some of you really need to get it through your skulls that a compliment to one rider isn't a slight on another. These...
Manny gets it.

What are you, some kind of mind reader? People can talk shit and have real or imagined disagreements without being assholes. That's way unlike not being...
What are you, some kind of mind reader? People can talk shit and have real or imagined disagreements without being assholes. That's way unlike not being an asshole when you tell others what they're saying without them having said it. You know, if we just let our fingers bounce off the keys like our heros were all participants at the trophy store it'd get pretty lame around here. Yeah they're all great. Go make a topic with "they're all great" as the title and have at it. May you never change, vital.
Sorry, didn't mean to touch a nerve with you...
Hut
12/3/2017 9:16pm
Sully wrote:
Manny gets it.

Some guy from Canada started a thread to say how awesome RV was, pretty simple. It wasn't a who are 2 of the best riders with the same first name thread. Laughing
12/3/2017 10:47pm
RV's big bike career benefited from Team Suzuki folding up at the end of 2010 and Dungeys mechanical issues indoors and outdoors in 2011. Dungey started his career over on an all new team and bike in 2012. If Suzuki doesn't fold in 2010 RV would have less titles for sure.
FARANG
12/4/2017 4:13am
RV embodies the sport IMO. Raced hard, fair, no drama and wasn’t afraid to walk away when his time was up. Legend. I bet there’s tons of respect between him and Dungey/RC.
davistld01
12/4/2017 7:08am
I have never been a fan of RV, but that's not to say I don't appreciate that he was a freak on a dirt bike. He frustrated the hell out of Ryan Dungey, even though Ryan did beat him straight up a few times...even when RV was healthy. The problem was, Ryan couldn't do that with any regularity at all...more often than not, Villopoto took Dungey to the wall. I don't agree that RV ever had James Stewart speed (when JS7 was Bubba anyway), but his brute speed and take no prisoners attitude sure reminded me of RC in his prime.
12/4/2017 7:50am
I mean what is there to argue? think about it as another sport like college football to the nfl.... RV was that superstar talent coming into PC since day one, very similar to James. How did RV change the game? Go faster than anyone and not end up on the ground, something James did not have consistently because he simply refused to lose...so he sent him self into the stands lol... costing many championships to be honest.

But from a pure speed standpoint I only see 3 riders on the same level:

RC
JS
RV

The thing with RV is James was very good at getting into his head, something Dungey never tried or cared about because to be quite honest, hes a pussy.

Its not coincidence that you see riders like KR, JS, RC, RC, CW ( still young ), JB (2014-2015) have success , they are mentally stronger than the rest of the field
jeffro503
12/4/2017 1:01pm
RV's big bike career benefited from Team Suzuki folding up at the end of 2010 and Dungeys mechanical issues indoors and outdoors in 2011. Dungey started...
RV's big bike career benefited from Team Suzuki folding up at the end of 2010 and Dungeys mechanical issues indoors and outdoors in 2011. Dungey started his career over on an all new team and bike in 2012. If Suzuki doesn't fold in 2010 RV would have less titles for sure.
Both of those " mechanicals " as you say....both happen while he was " On " the Suzuki. Wouldn't it be safe to say that if he stayed ( he left on his own accord and the team didn't fold ) .....but if he stayed , that he may have had even less titles then he does now?

So if he would of stayed on the brand / team bike that lost him both those championships , he would have won more titles? What you just said totally contradicts itself.
12/4/2017 1:10pm
RV's big bike career benefited from Team Suzuki folding up at the end of 2010 and Dungeys mechanical issues indoors and outdoors in 2011. Dungey started...
The mechanicals in 2011 definitely hurt Dungey outdoors, as in he probably would have won that title if not for them but in SX nearly every other rider had their fair share of problems i.e Villopoto not qualifying for Jacksonville.

Also Dungey chose to go to KTM, which at the time was a fairly unproven team in the US, that's all on him as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure he had offers from other teams.
mxb2
12/4/2017 1:21pm
If,if, if doesn't mean shit.
12/4/2017 1:31pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Both of those " mechanicals " as you say....both happen while he was " On " the Suzuki. Wouldn't it be safe to say that if...
Both of those " mechanicals " as you say....both happen while he was " On " the Suzuki. Wouldn't it be safe to say that if he stayed ( he left on his own accord and the team didn't fold ) .....but if he stayed , that he may have had even less titles then he does now?

So if he would of stayed on the brand / team bike that lost him both those championships , he would have won more titles? What you just said totally contradicts itself.
Wrong! If you think the 2010 and 2011 Team Suzuki were the same you obviously wasn't paying attention. Roger Ian and a few others left at the end of 2010 and in 2011 they were literally salvaging parts just to get through the season. Rv even acknowledged he was given a gift that year.
KDXGarage
12/4/2017 8:37pm
Wrong! If you think the 2010 and 2011 Team Suzuki were the same you obviously wasn't paying attention. Roger Ian and a few others left at...
Wrong! If you think the 2010 and 2011 Team Suzuki were the same you obviously wasn't paying attention. Roger Ian and a few others left at the end of 2010 and in 2011 they were literally salvaging parts just to get through the season. Rv even acknowledged he was given a gift that year.
Please provide a link to the words Villopoto said. I would like to read this ackowledgement.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they said on TV that Villopoto won every championship he finished healthy.
12/4/2017 8:59pm
Wrong! If you think the 2010 and 2011 Team Suzuki were the same you obviously wasn't paying attention. Roger Ian and a few others left at...
KDXGarage wrote:
Please provide a link to the words Villopoto said. I would like to read this ackowledgement. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they...
Please provide a link to the words Villopoto said. I would like to read this ackowledgement.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they said on TV that Villopoto won every championship he finished healthy.
He said it at Southwick and he said it during a season ending interview after Pala and he talked about it on a Pulpmx show. Those who actually watched the series that year seen the 33-35 points lost due to freak mechanical issues that year. Suzuki couldn't even pay Ryan the money they owed him till a year or two after I believe.

https://youtu.be/_skj59-lcEM
ob
12/4/2017 9:43pm
RV= Bad Ass
RD=choir boy
mxb2
12/4/2017 9:46pm
KDXGarage wrote:
Please provide a link to the words Villopoto said. I would like to read this ackowledgement. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they...

He said it at Southwick and he said it during a season ending interview after Pala and he talked about it on a Pulpmx show. Those...
He said it at Southwick and he said it during a season ending interview after Pala and he talked about it on a Pulpmx show. Those who actually watched the series that year seen the 33-35 points lost due to freak mechanical issues that year. Suzuki couldn't even pay Ryan the money they owed him till a year or two after I believe.

Shit happens in racing ,good and back luck. Like I said , if,if,if doesn't mean shit.
jeffro503
12/4/2017 10:00pm
KDXGarage wrote:

He said it at Southwick and he said it during a season ending interview after Pala and he talked about it on a Pulpmx show. Those...

mxb2 wrote:
Shit happens in racing ,good and back luck. Like I said , if,if,if doesn't mean shit.
These " If , Ands, and Buts" debates get really old around here. Like some of these guys can tell the fucking future on what " would " have happened.

RD ran out of gas at Southwick....has happened to many a riders. The SX " mechanical ".......wasn't a mechanical at all! It was RD ramming the back side of another rider and bending his front disc brake. How the fuck is that a mechanicle?

There is no " If's And's and But's " in this sport! All this is , is excuse making because that guys favorite rider didn't win. News flash.....anything can , and will happen in this sport. Get a fucking grip.
12/4/2017 10:50pm Edited Date/Time 12/4/2017 10:52pm
jeffro503 wrote:
These " If , Ands, and Buts" debates get really old around here. Like some of these guys can tell the fucking future on what "...
These " If , Ands, and Buts" debates get really old around here. Like some of these guys can tell the fucking future on what " would " have happened.

RD ran out of gas at Southwick....has happened to many a riders. The SX " mechanical ".......wasn't a mechanical at all! It was RD ramming the back side of another rider and bending his front disc brake. How the fuck is that a mechanicle?

There is no " If's And's and But's " in this sport! All this is , is excuse making because that guys favorite rider didn't win. News flash.....anything can , and will happen in this sport. Get a fucking grip.
Get a grip? You're ranting because I stated factual events that happened. Maybe you should get a grip and actually watch some racing. It wasn't a front disc problem in Sx it was a chain that derailed. If you're gonna talk down on people you should actually know wtf you're talking about first. Don't lose your shit like you did in the past, it's not good for the health.
USMCMXer
12/4/2017 11:51pm

mxb2 wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
These " If , Ands, and Buts" debates get really old around here. Like some of these guys can tell the fucking future on what "...

Unless you're making them for "your guy" right? Your cute story above isn't even close, but don't let facts get in the way of a good story...

Why did RV retire???WhistlingWhistling

Post a reply to: Testament to RV

The Latest