Tesla truck

Janus9
1/12/2020 11:38am
It is going to be a lot more than 5 years before the battery technology develops to where it needs to be to become a serious...
It is going to be a lot more than 5 years before the battery technology develops to where it needs to be to become a serious option for the masses.
Not only that, I read an article that said if every single person who bought a new car, bought an electric vehicle, it would take over 20 years until everyone drove an electric vehicle.

And then you start running the numbers for 100s of millions, if not billions world wide, with respect to the battery situation, and you realize big oil and the ICE, is going to be around and dominate for a very long time.

These electric vehicles are basically toys for rich people.
1/12/2020 12:45pm
devotid wrote:
As a hobby designer myself, I find it VERY hard to believe with all of the amazing software and manufacturing tech nowadays that this is the...
As a hobby designer myself, I find it VERY hard to believe with all of the amazing software and manufacturing tech nowadays that this is the best that people can come up with. Car designers for the big companies are a complete joke. Everyone just copies the next company because they are too scared to make a mistake. SUV's are a good example. KIA, Ford, Chevy, GMC and Dodge all look exactly the same. Its really only the Toyotas that actually stand out a bit with the forerunner and the Fj.

This was INSANELY UGLY in the 90's and now it no big deal.

Imagine drafting the prints for the hood on a 57 Chevy with no laser scanner. Designers of today couldn't even carry Ed Cole briefcase.

You're absolutely right, it's gone downhill.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
1/12/2020 1:06pm
devotid wrote:
As a hobby designer myself, I find it VERY hard to believe with all of the amazing software and manufacturing tech nowadays that this is the...
As a hobby designer myself, I find it VERY hard to believe with all of the amazing software and manufacturing tech nowadays that this is the best that people can come up with. Car designers for the big companies are a complete joke. Everyone just copies the next company because they are too scared to make a mistake. SUV's are a good example. KIA, Ford, Chevy, GMC and Dodge all look exactly the same. Its really only the Toyotas that actually stand out a bit with the forerunner and the Fj.

This was INSANELY UGLY in the 90's and now it no big deal.

Imagine drafting the prints for the hood on a 57 Chevy with no laser scanner. Designers of today couldn't even carry Ed Cole briefcase.

You're absolutely right, it's gone downhill.
It’s more about aerodynamics than style. Personally, I like the look of a 69 Mustang and Camaro but prefer the sleek aero looks of today.
ktmdan
1/12/2020 1:13pm
Premix wrote:
Hope everyone bought Tesla stock in the dip, that’s the cheapest you’ll ever see it again
Bought a share the day before they announced their quarter earnings. Wish I bought more. Gonna hold on until the roadster 2020 starts getting more press.
In other news I just started a project at work reverse engineering the Model 3 switch reluctance motor. The thing is trick

The Shop

Rooster
1/13/2020 1:39pm
Tesla only exists because of all our tax money, not because Musk is smart
Pretty much every automaker only exists because of taxpayer money after their respective bailouts.

Tesla has already paid back their Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing Loan (with interest).

They are very close to losing their federal tax EV credit that's available to all manufacturers for their first 200,000 Electric Vehicles. So Tesla is getting no more or less than the other automakers and soon GM/Ford etc will benefit from it when Tesla no longer can. Soon a Tesla will by default of the program suddenly become $7,500 more expensive than any other manufacturer's EV products.

The $7,500 credit for the first 200,000 vehicles only amounts to 1.5 Billion. The US government spent 80+ billion between 2008 and 2014 on the automaker bailout of GM, Chrysler and Ford and overall lost 10+ billion on the program after they divested their ownership stakes.

So please, please tell me more about how Tesla only exists because of government subsidies. Because the facts sure do seem to be at odds with your opinion.
Excaliburbmx
1/15/2020 12:53pm
Rooster wrote:
Pretty much every automaker only exists because of taxpayer money after their respective bailouts. Tesla has already paid back their Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing Loan (with...
Pretty much every automaker only exists because of taxpayer money after their respective bailouts.

Tesla has already paid back their Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing Loan (with interest).

They are very close to losing their federal tax EV credit that's available to all manufacturers for their first 200,000 Electric Vehicles. So Tesla is getting no more or less than the other automakers and soon GM/Ford etc will benefit from it when Tesla no longer can. Soon a Tesla will by default of the program suddenly become $7,500 more expensive than any other manufacturer's EV products.

The $7,500 credit for the first 200,000 vehicles only amounts to 1.5 Billion. The US government spent 80+ billion between 2008 and 2014 on the automaker bailout of GM, Chrysler and Ford and overall lost 10+ billion on the program after they divested their ownership stakes.

So please, please tell me more about how Tesla only exists because of government subsidies. Because the facts sure do seem to be at odds with your opinion.
Chrysler paid its back within one year and ford did not take a bail out.
APLMAN99
1/15/2020 6:57pm
Ford did receive about $6B in loan money from the bailout program because no one else was willing to lend to them or the other domestic automakers. They weren’t going to declare bankruptcy like GM or quite to the brink like Chrysler. The government didn’t acquire any equity in them during that time.
pilotdude
1/15/2020 11:52pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2020 11:53pm

This thing is badass.
1/16/2020 1:59am
Premix wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/01/15/398220/s1200_34D5DF80_552B_46D2_9651_2346C5FCCB97.jpg[/img]

I love how posting facts gets downvoted on vital lol
Zacka 161
Fantasy
2033rd
1/16/2020 4:41am
It is going to be a lot more than 5 years before the battery technology develops to where it needs to be to become a serious...
It is going to be a lot more than 5 years before the battery technology develops to where it needs to be to become a serious option for the masses.
stacks of how the 'masses' use their vehicles shows that its well and truly there.

The percentage of people where they drive less than 300 Miles in a day for 95% of their car ownership.... I would guess about 95%+ of private vehicle owners.

Its well and truly ready for the masses just not for some niche buyers with very specific needs
Zacka 161
Fantasy
2033rd
1/16/2020 5:05am
Rooster wrote:
Pretty much every automaker only exists because of taxpayer money after their respective bailouts. Tesla has already paid back their Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing Loan (with...

The government spends in order to drive business to America. Thats what governments do. The government gives billions in tax breaks to off shore oil companies to take oil from America. Local governments give massive tax breaks to Amazon to set up a warehouse in their states and then cook the books to show no profits.

You know that Americas love for the car and freedom it gives you was driven (no pun intended) by the governments massive investment in building the interstate system. America is literally built on the government investing in its people.

Tesla sells cars in America, those americans use those cars to drive places to buy things to participate in the economy while also specifically participating in new and emerging sectors of the economy. Coupled with the fact that those tax breaks allow the company to stay in the black during early spending and many cars overseas. So thats America investing in its people for their benefit and from a trade point of view create a high dollar trade product. F150s only sell in America so for the government to give a rebate to them it has no long term positive effect. Nobody wants them.
1/16/2020 5:08am
pilotdude wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/01/15/398373/s1200_Screen_Shot_2019_12_03_at_4.47.13_PM.jpg[/img] This thing is badass.

This thing is badass.
Still looks FUGLY to me.
Silas444
1/16/2020 6:00am
I'm sure this is a silly question, but I truly do not know: if you have an all-electric vehicle and you run out of juice on the highway, what do you do? It's not like an ICE, where you can just fill up a can of gas, put it in the vehicle and drive off. Soooo - what do you do?
1/16/2020 7:27am
Silas444 wrote:
I'm sure this is a silly question, but I truly do not know: if you have an all-electric vehicle and you run out of juice on...
I'm sure this is a silly question, but I truly do not know: if you have an all-electric vehicle and you run out of juice on the highway, what do you do? It's not like an ICE, where you can just fill up a can of gas, put it in the vehicle and drive off. Soooo - what do you do?
Call a tow truck running on diesel.
Skuzzy29
1/16/2020 8:20am
Silas444 wrote:
I'm sure this is a silly question, but I truly do not know: if you have an all-electric vehicle and you run out of juice on...
Plug in a solar charger and throw it on the roof!

Then take a nap...go for a walk...find some dogs to pet...
pilotdude
1/16/2020 8:35am
Silas444 wrote:
This is a very reasonable question. Just like ICE vehicles, EVs will inevitably have drivers who will manage to run their cars or trucks out of electricity. When they do, they will require someone to bring them some more electricity, just as ICE vehicles require someone to bring them more gasoline/diesel. Since they only will require a charge that is sufficient to get them to a charging station and not a full charge, that charge will be fairly short (like getting a few gallons from a tow truck and not a full tank.)

I have a feeling this will probably happen less frequently than with ICE vehicles, and for several reasons:

First, EVs and their owners are very range-aware. New owners often have "range anxiety" which quickly disappears as they become more familiar with the car and realize it's not an issue. The vehicles themselves are smart vehicles and can tell you exactly where charging stations are relative to you, which ones you have the range to reach, and exactly what time you will get there.

Secondly, the network of charging stations along major highways is rapidly expanding in North America and around the world. This trend will probably accelerate as the number of EVs increases. Here is a map of Supercharger stations that are in place or being installed in North America.

Also, an important point to remember is that EVs charge using electricity via an electrical outlet (110v or 220v), which is available at virtually every house/office/store. While nowhere as quick as a Supercharge station, you can recharge almost anywhere there is electricity using a portable charger (just like with your phone.) And as more homes have charging stations installed (similar to installing a dryer outlet) this will become even easier. It will become more similar to charging your phone than filling a vehicle with fuel.

Third, the rapid advances in battery technology WILL continue to extend the range of EVs. This will render the need for charging stations less pressing for almost everyone. They are already getting so good that it is quickly becoming more a question of how much range do you want in your car or truck when you order it. Actually, it is already that way with the Cybertruck. Ranges of 250 miles, 300 miles and 500 miles are all options.

Rooster
1/16/2020 10:38am
Rooster wrote:

Two years actually, and 1.3 billion short or a full repayment. Plus they became a majority owned foreign corporation in the process (Fiat Chrysler).

Ford took 5.9 billion in tarp funds that they expect to have repaid by 2022. They had initially requested 9 billion in bailout funds, but were denied. .

i still fail to see how Tesla is purely a product of government subsidies. Especially in light of how they've received fewer subsidies than either their domestic competitors or the oil industry that fuels their competitors.
Zacka 161
Fantasy
2033rd
1/17/2020 4:24am
Silas444 wrote:
pilotdude wrote:
This is a very reasonable question. Just like ICE vehicles, EVs will inevitably have drivers who will manage to run their cars or trucks out of...
This is a very reasonable question. Just like ICE vehicles, EVs will inevitably have drivers who will manage to run their cars or trucks out of electricity. When they do, they will require someone to bring them some more electricity, just as ICE vehicles require someone to bring them more gasoline/diesel. Since they only will require a charge that is sufficient to get them to a charging station and not a full charge, that charge will be fairly short (like getting a few gallons from a tow truck and not a full tank.)

I have a feeling this will probably happen less frequently than with ICE vehicles, and for several reasons:

First, EVs and their owners are very range-aware. New owners often have "range anxiety" which quickly disappears as they become more familiar with the car and realize it's not an issue. The vehicles themselves are smart vehicles and can tell you exactly where charging stations are relative to you, which ones you have the range to reach, and exactly what time you will get there.

Secondly, the network of charging stations along major highways is rapidly expanding in North America and around the world. This trend will probably accelerate as the number of EVs increases. Here is a map of Supercharger stations that are in place or being installed in North America.

Also, an important point to remember is that EVs charge using electricity via an electrical outlet (110v or 220v), which is available at virtually every house/office/store. While nowhere as quick as a Supercharge station, you can recharge almost anywhere there is electricity using a portable charger (just like with your phone.) And as more homes have charging stations installed (similar to installing a dryer outlet) this will become even easier. It will become more similar to charging your phone than filling a vehicle with fuel.

Third, the rapid advances in battery technology WILL continue to extend the range of EVs. This will render the need for charging stations less pressing for almost everyone. They are already getting so good that it is quickly becoming more a question of how much range do you want in your car or truck when you order it. Actually, it is already that way with the Cybertruck. Ranges of 250 miles, 300 miles and 500 miles are all options.

I have friends who made a lot of money with a company called Battery Assist. Which is basically sending out roadside assistance vehicles purely for EVs. Now I’m not sure exactly what they do but it would make a lot of sense to have an on board high discharge batter connected to a fast charger for each type of ev plug. 5 minutes of charge will easily get you 10-20 miles to get to a fast charger to top up. It would take less time than changing a tyre. Not sure if that’s the cast but It makes perfect sense. These service vehicles would be plugged in at base to the wall power.

Also not only will battery capacity increase but so will efficiency of the power train and usage management, efficiency of the vehicles aerodynamically, tyres will become more efficiency reducing rolling resistance, and charging speed.

The Tesla model 3 range is only about 10% below a BMW 323 and its only getting better and better. Tesla is the leader in EV efficiency and through engineering and computer efficiency they will be there within 2 yrs.

In the meantime Hybrids are the answer for people that need long range and fuel efficiency
arunkxf
2/19/2020 1:43am
Premix wrote:
It’s obviously still in its initial phase and I’m sure there will be a redesign before it comes to market. Impressive in a lot of ways...
It’s obviously still in its initial phase and I’m sure there will be a redesign before it comes to market. Impressive in a lot of ways, bleak in others. Couple of body lines in those massive panels would help tremendously. The amount of Tesla’s running around the Northern Ohio area is staggering.

There’s a reason Ford pulled its entire passenger car line earlier this year, E is coming to production sooner than later.

Now mind you, I saw this today, and damn I want one:

Now that is cool
2/19/2020 5:14am
Silas444 wrote:
Buy a generator, stick it in the trunk. Keep the tank full......

Post a reply to: Tesla truck

The Latest