Tesla truck

Zaugg
11/24/2019 7:28am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2019 7:30am
Elon Musk: Can you guys design something like this but simplified?

Tesla Designers: Sure thing boss...aaaaaaaand DONE?

Elon Musk: Perfect!!!

Tesla Fanboys: OMG!!! Such a futuristic design...and the name is so original.

I guess the future is very angular. HAHAHAHA
kkawboy14
11/24/2019 7:28am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2019 7:29am
Since the majority of people that own trucks never use it as a truck, the future looks bright for this oversized car that is an ugly truck!
rehan53
11/24/2019 7:29am
Silas444 wrote:
This thread is turning into two separate roads of criticism for this vehicle: one about the design and one about the electric drivetrain. Well, for me...
This thread is turning into two separate roads of criticism for this vehicle: one about the design and one about the electric drivetrain. Well, for me, I have no problem with it being an electric vehicle. I'm no luddite, I own an electric KTM and I'm planning on getting a hybrid Volvo wagon for the missus. What I have a problem with is the complete, utter, all-consuming lack of common sense regarding the design. And to my previous criticisms I'll add this: up here in the Northeast, rain turns into freezing rain often, and temperature swings can make that ice hard as a rock within hours - I know, I often have to scrape it off my Tacoma. Fortunately, the windshield of my truck is short and sharply sloping, so the rain doesn't get as much chance to build up as it would if the windshield were long and less raked. This truck, to put it mildly, would be a total nightmare up here in the winter. Acres and acres of gently raked glass. It's a design that was exectuted in sunny California BY Californians FOR Californians - and may God bless them all - but I wouldn't drive around in that troublemaking albatross if you GAVE it to me. Perhaps, just perhaps, it might have been a good idea for Elon and his crew to pack a bag and see what life is actually like in places where the weather differs from where they live - and THEN design a truck? Or not. My f***s are all given now, none left to give. Carry on.
Those are good things to think about. Teslas can start and drive themselves to come pick you up in a parking lot. May they could also heat and de-ice your windshield. Maybe they could sense the weight on the windshield and periodically melt it. Maybe they could coat the glass in something that beads rain off it more quickly. I don’t have personal experience driving a Tesla but I’ve heard they are beasts when it comes to driving on ice and snow.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
11/24/2019 7:30am
the rivian is sweet but its even more useless as a truck.. the bed is tiny

The Shop

peltier626
11/24/2019 7:33am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2019 7:59am
The 2021 Toyota tundra will have a Hybrid/electric engine as one of the options. Said to put out near 450 hp and 500 lbft of torque with an average of 30mpg. I'm typically conservative in nature but realize evolution is imminent. If your not evolving, your dying. The scary part is evolution of technology is at a higher rate than ever before, mistakes are certain. In the grand scheme of things does all this benefit humanity or have we become a wheel that just needs to be constantly moving. I'm not sure where that line is?
ob
11/24/2019 7:54am
Silas444 wrote:
This thread is turning into two separate roads of criticism for this vehicle: one about the design and one about the electric drivetrain. Well, for me...
This thread is turning into two separate roads of criticism for this vehicle: one about the design and one about the electric drivetrain. Well, for me, I have no problem with it being an electric vehicle. I'm no luddite, I own an electric KTM and I'm planning on getting a hybrid Volvo wagon for the missus. What I have a problem with is the complete, utter, all-consuming lack of common sense regarding the design. And to my previous criticisms I'll add this: up here in the Northeast, rain turns into freezing rain often, and temperature swings can make that ice hard as a rock within hours - I know, I often have to scrape it off my Tacoma. Fortunately, the windshield of my truck is short and sharply sloping, so the rain doesn't get as much chance to build up as it would if the windshield were long and less raked. This truck, to put it mildly, would be a total nightmare up here in the winter. Acres and acres of gently raked glass. It's a design that was exectuted in sunny California BY Californians FOR Californians - and may God bless them all - but I wouldn't drive around in that troublemaking albatross if you GAVE it to me. Perhaps, just perhaps, it might have been a good idea for Elon and his crew to pack a bag and see what life is actually like in places where the weather differs from where they live - and THEN design a truck? Or not. My f***s are all given now, none left to give. Carry on.
rehan53 wrote:
Those are good things to think about. Teslas can start and drive themselves to come pick you up in a parking lot. May they could also...
Those are good things to think about. Teslas can start and drive themselves to come pick you up in a parking lot. May they could also heat and de-ice your windshield. Maybe they could sense the weight on the windshield and periodically melt it. Maybe they could coat the glass in something that beads rain off it more quickly. I don’t have personal experience driving a Tesla but I’ve heard they are beasts when it comes to driving on ice and snow.
Interior climate control is not an issue with a modern electric or hybrid vehicle. I mean you can program start and stop times or just start your car with your phone before you head out into the cold. Of course you can do that with any gas vehicle also.
I really wonder what the truck will actually look like, I'm 100% onboard with saying fuck you to the oil and gas cartels. Old school shit, I can't wait till they have this totally figured out. An electric all wheel drive cargo van with a full solar roof panel would be bad ass.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
11/24/2019 8:00am
soggy wrote:
the rivian is sweet but its even more useless as a truck.. the bed is tiny
I like the Atlis XT. You can get a 6.5 foot box or 8 foot box. There's other variations for the bed as well. The stats are impressive.

In terms of electric trucks, that's the one most like a traditional model.

reded
11/24/2019 8:06am
The Atlis is definitely the best looking and most practical for people who need to use it as a pickup. Not sure how long it would take to get used to the mirrors being in the instrument cluster tho.
TeamGreen
11/24/2019 8:31am
So, an Electric SUT is being compared to 1/2 & 3/4 ton diesel tow & work trucks?
Oh, ok.
Just so you know, Tesla isn't.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
11/24/2019 11:39am
LewDizzle wrote:
Love the tech, hate the practically of the design. How am I supposed to load a cord of wood in there? A truck is supposed to...
Love the tech, hate the practically of the design. How am I supposed to load a cord of wood in there? A truck is supposed to be a truck. That's not a truck IMO. Can't wait till I get passed on the freeway by some 22yr old driving one lifted on 35's that daddy bought him doing 80mph in a 60mph whom somehow forgot to use his blinker
rehan53 wrote:
The truck lifts itself. The bed holds an ATV with closed gate, has a built in cover, ramp, generator and air compressor, and lowers itself for...
The truck lifts itself. The bed holds an ATV with closed gate, has a built in cover, ramp, generator and air compressor, and lowers itself for loading. It signals and drives by itself. It’s $39,000.
Ahh.....that's a big negative there grasshopper. The "Full self driving" package adds $7k to the price
rehan53
11/24/2019 12:37pm
Ahh.....that's a big negative there grasshopper. The "Full self driving" package adds $7k to the price
LOL. Okay so for $46,000 you can have a self driving space-truck. That’s less than 4 of the 7 F150s on Ford’s website.

For all that you get, it’s competitively priced, was my point.
AH387
11/25/2019 6:46am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2019 7:05am
I applaud Tesla for the forward thinking but I'm not sold. First of all, I was under the impression that $40k got you a nicely equipped truck but it doesn't. It's only the single motor 2wd. It's $50k for the dual-motor AWD and $70k for the fully equipped one (that they brag about the performance stats of.) So right off the bat, I was disappointed in that. Also, the looks are ridiculous. Even small things like seeing in your blind spots, how is that even going to be possible with that rear triangle? I feel like there is a reason that every brand makes a truck platform in a similar fashion, because it works. So I'm just not sure if this thing is ready for prime-time as a true truck. I'm driving a Tacoma and it is great. I rack up a ton of miles on it, to commute to work, go to our cabin, take it to the tracks etc. Plus I drive it on mild offroad, on our cabin property etc. It's a work-horse truck for me and a hobby. Not sure I am the demographic that this truck was after. I guess we will see. There is for sure a large population of people that are into this thing, but I don't know if it will sell to a lot of die-hard truck guys.
11/25/2019 6:50am
Silas444 wrote:
rehan53 wrote:
Those are good things to think about. Teslas can start and drive themselves to come pick you up in a parking lot. May they could also...
And I really don't see how this windshield is significantly different in rake than say, a Volvo v90, designed by Swedes and rated as one of the top Vehicles for snow.
Zaugg
11/25/2019 7:04am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2019 7:05am
And I really don't see how this windshield is significantly different in rake than say, a Volvo v90, designed by Swedes and rated as one of...
And I really don't see how this windshield is significantly different in rake than say, a Volvo v90, designed by Swedes and rated as one of the top Vehicles for snow.
Says someone who has clearly never had to scrape ice off his windshield. haha

For reference, the Volvo windshield is quite possibly half the size (if not more) not to mention the significant height difference. All those soccer moms in the Northeast will never be able to reach that high. haha

This clearly seems like a vehicle where function follows form. Not designed for hauling large items like sheets of plywood or building materials. This is designed for people who want an SUV with a bed, not a truck.
11/25/2019 7:05am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2019 7:28am
And I really don't see how this windshield is significantly different in rake than say, a Volvo v90, designed by Swedes and rated as one of...
Zaugg wrote:
Says someone who has clearly never had to scrape ice off his windshield. haha For reference, the Volvo windshield is quite possibly half the size (if...
Says someone who has clearly never had to scrape ice off his windshield. haha

For reference, the Volvo windshield is quite possibly half the size (if not more) not to mention the significant height difference. All those soccer moms in the Northeast will never be able to reach that high. haha

This clearly seems like a vehicle where function follows form. Not designed for hauling large items like sheets of plywood or building materials. This is designed for people who want an SUV with a bed, not a truck.
A soccer mom can't reach the windshield of a 4x 1/2 ton either.

Let me put this differently.

The Ford F150 Crew Cab short bed:
[list][*] -Won't haul a sheet of plywood without additional considerations.
[*] -Has a windshield nobody could scrape the entirety of without a step stool
[*] -Is very expensive
[*] -And Is the best selling vehicle/trim line in America.
[/list]
Zaugg
11/25/2019 7:30am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2019 7:33am
A soccer mom can't reach the windshield of a 4x 1/2 ton either. Let me put this differently. [b]The Ford F150 Crew Cab short bed:[/b] [list][*]...

[*] -Is very expensive
[/list]
You're absolutely right, most people don't use them as intended. Which proves my point that this truck isn't designed for truck owners. You know, people who use their truck for work/ hauling/ functional stuff/ etc. Most people who drive trucks use them like SUVs. For them, the Tesla truck is perfect.

And being vertically challenged (haha) I can say that without running boards and rearview mirrors, I don't see a good way to clear the Tesla windshield using my current technique. That windshield is bigger than you think. (BTW- I own an F150 with a 6.5ft bed and I don't need a step stool to clear my windshield. And I use my truck like a truck.)

Anyway, I don't see a beautiful or fully functional design here. I see an attempt to be different and to get people talking. Mission accomplished. Just because everyone is talking about it, doesn't mean I'm going to change my mind and buy one.

If you like it, great, go buy one. I'd rather have something functional like the Atlis
11/25/2019 7:35am
A soccer mom can't reach the windshield of a 4x 1/2 ton either. Let me put this differently. [b]The Ford F150 Crew Cab short bed:[/b] [list][*]...

[*] -Is very expensive
[/list]
Zaugg wrote:
You're absolutely right, most people don't use them as intended. Which proves my point that this truck isn't designed for truck owners. You know, people who...
You're absolutely right, most people don't use them as intended. Which proves my point that this truck isn't designed for truck owners. You know, people who use their truck for work/ hauling/ functional stuff/ etc. Most people who drive trucks use them like SUVs. For them, the Tesla truck is perfect.

And being vertically challenged (haha) I can say that without running boards and rearview mirrors, I don't see a good way to clear the Tesla windshield using my current technique. That windshield is bigger than you think. (BTW- I own an F150 with a 6.5ft bed and I don't need a step stool to clear my windshield. And I use my truck like a truck.)

Anyway, I don't see a beautiful or fully functional design here. I see an attempt to be different and to get people talking. Mission accomplished. Just because everyone is talking about it, doesn't mean I'm going to change my mind and buy one.

If you like it, great, go buy one. I'd rather have something functional like the Atlis
I don't know if I like this truck at all. What I am saying that your definition of "Functional" is very narrow and doesn't jive with what the market considers "functional"
11/25/2019 7:48am
It is going to be a lot more than 5 years before the battery technology develops to where it needs to be to become a serious option for the masses.
Zaugg
11/25/2019 7:56am
I don't know if I like this truck at all. What I am saying that your definition of "Functional" is very narrow and doesn't jive with...
I don't know if I like this truck at all. What I am saying that your definition of "Functional" is very narrow and doesn't jive with what the market considers "functional"
If the definition of functional is, "it drives and hauls people similar to an SUV with a bed", then yes it is a functional truck. A majority of the trucks on the road are short-bed - extended or crew cab trucks for various reasons. That doesn't mean they're a fully-functional truck. (Key word here is FULLY. haha)

My definition incorporates what you consider functional AND it also incorporates what i think is functional (hauling stuff bigger than groceries, luggage, and 4-wheelers). You're definition only takes into consideration your definition. Want to reconsider you statement that my definition is narrow? haha

11/25/2019 8:03am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2019 8:31am
I don't know if I like this truck at all. What I am saying that your definition of "Functional" is very narrow and doesn't jive with...
Zaugg wrote:
If the definition of functional is, "it drives and hauls people similar to an SUV with a bed", then yes it is a functional truck. A...
If the definition of functional is, "it drives and hauls people similar to an SUV with a bed", then yes it is a functional truck. A majority of the trucks on the road are short-bed - extended or crew cab trucks for various reasons. That doesn't mean they're a fully-functional truck. (Key word here is FULLY. haha)

My definition incorporates what you consider functional AND it also incorporates what i think is functional (hauling stuff bigger than groceries, luggage, and 4-wheelers). You're definition only takes into consideration your definition. Want to reconsider you statement that my definition is narrow? haha

It just seems all the "real truck" things you've applied here maybe do or don't apply the same to the majority of the trucks on the market.

The Tesla is designed for the same space as a shortbed crew-cab half ton, where it will do all of the same "real truck" things, albeit with a more limited range. It isn't designed to compete in any other segment of the truck market.
gt80rider
11/25/2019 8:18am
Wow...... seeing a Tesla truck thread still near the top of a moto forum is impressive!

Props to Tesla for shaking things up a bit!

Oh and yes, I LOVE the look! Want, want, and more want!!
O&GDriller
11/25/2019 8:55am
Bogger wrote:
Tesla stock was dropping pretty fast today. Elon's plan to drop the price so he can buy it all up is working.
Elon and Tesla are broke. The clock is running. You can't burn cash as he is and survive. Even worse, the "real" car makers are about to take control of the miniscule market share for e cars. Note, this "market" only exists in the cities on the left and right coasts. They don't play in Peoria and won't sell in real America. I live in the heartland (i.e., fly-over-country) and I see maybe one Tesla a week AT BEST and I look for them. They also don't have the energy capacity needed to tow my toys the distance needed to make them functional.

On a side note, Elon must really be stressed. I didn't realize he had gotten obese...
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/25/2019 9:05am
aeffertz wrote:
This makes me wonder what a hypothetical Lamborghini truck might look like.Guarantee everyone would call it ugly as well (because trucks are meant for good ol'...
This makes me wonder what a hypothetical Lamborghini truck might look like.Guarantee everyone would call it ugly as well (because trucks are meant for good ol' boys on the farm) but there's something about purpose built engineering that makes me almost admire the looks. I've always kinda been a contrarian though, so I'm not even surprised I'm caught in this debate. Grinning
Premix wrote:
When the Lambo Urus was originally rolled out, I recall seeing a few different truck concept photos. This one always stuck with me as the most...
When the Lambo Urus was originally rolled out, I recall seeing a few different truck concept photos. This one always stuck with me as the most “truck” ish.

This is very different from a current-day truck. Tesla should have gone along these lines.

I'm an "outsider looking in" kind of Tesla fan, but I stopped being interested in the Tesla truck the moment I saw it. It's too bad, because I really like all the performance specs and I think an electric truck would be a great idea. Oh well, I guess I'll wait a few more years.
11/25/2019 9:07am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2019 9:09am
Bogger wrote:
Tesla stock was dropping pretty fast today. Elon's plan to drop the price so he can buy it all up is working.
O&GDriller wrote:
Elon and Tesla are broke. The clock is running. You can't burn cash as he is and survive. Even worse, the "real" car makers are about...
Elon and Tesla are broke. The clock is running. You can't burn cash as he is and survive. Even worse, the "real" car makers are about to take control of the miniscule market share for e cars. Note, this "market" only exists in the cities on the left and right coasts. They don't play in Peoria and won't sell in real America. I live in the heartland (i.e., fly-over-country) and I see maybe one Tesla a week AT BEST and I look for them. They also don't have the energy capacity needed to tow my toys the distance needed to make them functional.

On a side note, Elon must really be stressed. I didn't realize he had gotten obese...
We tend to have very insular views about these things. Like how all of us here on Vital think that the public is ready to knock down dealer doors for a rehashed RM125 just because we want one.

Where does Peoria/Real America sit on actual marketshare? "Just cities on the left and right coasts" is like half the total automobile market.

O&GDriller
11/25/2019 9:09am
CR250Rider wrote:
"by the way we also made an ATV"
When does he make a Tesla dirt bike is my question
KHI Guy wrote:
That would be cool for us, but I think even Elon knows that making dirt bikes would't be a money making venture.
You give the idiot too much credit. Eccentric yes, smart, no. Elon thought making electric cars would be a money making venture. All he's done is cashed in on the American taxpayer who's funded his failed, foiled forray. The man is an ass clown but knew how to get his hands on COUNTLESS SUMS of taxpayer money to fund his ego and failed enterprise. Tesla is out of business, the only question now is how much longer until they turn out the lights. It's impossible to service their debt....
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/25/2019 9:13am
Where can I get some cat shampoo?
GrinningGrinningGrinningGrinning Almost spat water out of my nose.
Premix
11/25/2019 9:49am
O&GDriller wrote:
Elon and Tesla are broke. The clock is running. You can't burn cash as he is and survive. Even worse, the "real" car makers are about...

You sir, with all due respect, are clueless.

Head less than 2 hours Northeast from Peoria, and you’ll see more Tesla’s than you can handle in Chicago and it’s suburbs. Same as you won’t see a boat in every driveway in Arizona, you won’t see a Tesla in the middle of Yee Yee country. It’s not the market they are after. They’re not catering to the blue collar middle to lower class. It’s meant for short commutes and for folks that like new technology and understand its benefits.

wsmille2
11/25/2019 10:22am
O&GDriller wrote:

Premix wrote:
You sir, with all due respect, are clueless. Head less than 2 hours Northeast from Peoria, and you’ll see more Tesla’s than you can handle in...
You sir, with all due respect, are clueless.

Head less than 2 hours Northeast from Peoria, and you’ll see more Tesla’s than you can handle in Chicago and it’s suburbs. Same as you won’t see a boat in every driveway in Arizona, you won’t see a Tesla in the middle of Yee Yee country. It’s not the market they are after. They’re not catering to the blue collar middle to lower class. It’s meant for short commutes and for folks that like new technology and understand its benefits.

And...... they are only building a 2 billion dollar plant in China, where the largest car market is. Clueless is understatement. Pushing out 1000 cars per week just in this plant.

Post a reply to: Tesla truck

The Latest