Tell Us About The Notable Races You Attended ? (With “Moto-Historical”Significance)

Related:
Create New Tag

9/29/2021 11:39 AM

Were you in Vegas when the lights went out ? At Red Bud when Tortelli ran out of gas ? At Steel City when Grants spokes let loose ? At Glen Helen when Alessi stepped on Tedesco’s handlebars ? At the MXDN when Albertyn hit the deer ? At the ‘86 Anaheim RJ vs. Bailey battle ? JLaw & the rental car ? Tell us your stories…from whenever, thx Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

9/29/2021 11:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2021 11:49 AM

I was at the 96 stl sx round where MC finally lost..... Fro's house / the Edward Jones dome... crazy night... during and after...

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

9/29/2021 11:57 AM

i was at Red Bud when Mike Allessi got ran over after the ski jump. Watched it happen right in front of me.

|

9/29/2021 12:01 PM

1987 MxDesNations at the famed Unadilla Valley Sports Center........

#JeffWard
#RJ
#Hannah

|

9/29/2021 12:02 PM

I was At Millville 2006 when Carmichael Lapped the whole field.
It was also Ryan Dungey pro debut he got 7th over all. Photo
Photo

|

9/29/2021 12:04 PM

I was in San Diego at the 250 Supercross when RC wadded up and tore his thigh on the footpegs. Also there the night he beat MC a year later. (I think that was his first 250SX win???)

I watched the "World Cup" of Motocross at Glen Helen when the MXdN race at Competition Park fell apart.

I was there the day Valentino Rossi passed Casey Stoner in the dirt in MotoGP at Laguna Seca.

And yeah, I was there the day Alessi stood on Tedesco's handlebars. I couldn't figure out what had happened to those two guys when everyone else was going by.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

9/29/2021 12:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2021 12:14 PM

Got to see the Alessi/Tedesco mishap from the side of the hill. Was chaotic for sure after Walker turned around. Also got to see Carmichael the one and only time in the 250/450 class he ran #1 to complete his second perfect season.

The Windham/Pastrana battle and Nac Nac show in Vegas(I think?), whatever year they were both on Suzuki was awesome too. Entire stadium was going nuts. San Fran mud race with Carmichael, Stewart and Reed was probably the best battle I've seen during a mud race.

|

Turning dreams into realities one day at a time.

9/29/2021 12:09 PM

I went to the supercross Race that JeremyMcGrath won on the Suzuki, I think it was his only win On that bike.

Photo

|

9/29/2021 12:14 PM

the first Super bowl of MX at LA coliseum
the first USGP at Carlsbad

|

9/29/2021 12:14 PM

Was at '02 Millville, the race after James let Chad by (bye) and then passed him back. First moto Chad chased James and passed him, probably first time seeing James getting straight up passed. Of course James won the 2nd moto for the overall.
Also Millville this year, best 450 race I ever witnessed with Barcia taking the win after batteling with AC for a while than holding off Dylan and Eli.

|

9/29/2021 12:24 PM

I was at highpoint ‘01 as a 5 year old and watched the pastrana/narita battle in the mud
‘01 steel city and infamous Langston wheel break
‘02 Indy and the pastrana/Carmichael battle and the massive amount of booing
‘04 kenworthys, nothing great just last race there
‘06 highpoint was a great battle until I saw js7’s bike flipping through the air at what seemed like 20ft up (I was 10 so everything seemed bigger)
‘07 red bud was another awesome Carmichael/Stewart battle until that 20ft deep rut grabbed stew’s front brake lever (again still a kid)
‘08 red bud I was right there when Alessi got landed on what seemed like a bazillion times. That was truly scary

|

9/29/2021 12:25 PM

I was at Millville the day when Mcgrath hurt his ankle. After the second moto my buddy got Fro's pit board from J-bone and I was trying to get MC's but skip was so angry he didn't seem to want anything to do with a fan.

|

9/29/2021 12:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2021 12:29 PM

Not that historical but Seattle 06 when Ricky went flying off the track and saved it, saving the title.

Washougal 01 and 03, when kdub beat Ricky straight up and Travis crashed out. 03 was when Ryno hit brownie on horsepower hill and ended brownies season. Was standing right there.

Hangtown 12 Stews suzuki debut

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

9/29/2021 12:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2021 12:35 PM

High Point '02 when the riot cops and the helicopter showed up. Some cars burned, a stabbing, plenty of pepper spray and a few dozen fights.

Steel City '04 MC's last National

|

Violence You Can Believe In

9/29/2021 12:39 PM

I was there at the 1984 Super Bowl of Motocross when Broc Glover rolled out the very first set of pink JT gear for the Miller Dash. I thought that stuff was cool.

|

9/29/2021 12:42 PM

I was there- some of you kids may have to Google Marty Moates… Photo

|

9/29/2021 12:42 PM

I have you all beat.

1974 I was 7 years old and my family drove cross country to watch Evel Knievel jump the Snake River Canyon. He also promoted a mx race with a $100,000 purse. I remember the race, I just don't remember anything specific about the racers. I was wearing my favorite shirt which was a Can-Am shirt. I also remember a couple of characters. One guy was a sheriff or something guarding the Sky Cycle and he was armed to the teeth with bandoleers strapped across his chest and another guy was just a spectator with a Harley primary cover as a hat. I had no idea what it was but my dad said that's what it was. He was just as you would picture him. haha The story from the race that I have only heard recently was Gary Jones and Marty Tripes were first people at the bank Monday morning to cash their purse checks and not many others got cashed.

One race I will always remember but maybe not many people will for this reason was Pontiac 93 SX. Stanton went out and was mic'ed up as he did a rolling lap and hot lap and when he brought MC out to join him he accidentally introduced MC the SX champion instead of the points leader. Big time Freudian slip. Stanton still had a number 1 plate on his bike at the time and MC was quite a few rounds from clinching it.

|

9/29/2021 12:48 PM

First national I spectated was Keithsburg, IL, in 1977. I think everyone who raced there still has a backache from those sand whoops. I was there for the Hannah/DeCoster duel at the 1978 St. Louis Trans-AMA but I was too hung over to notice much about the race.

Before the 2013 Dungey/Villopoto duel at the dome, the loudest crowd I heard was when Donny Schmitt holeshot the 1995 Millville National.

|

9/29/2021 1:05 PM

I was at Ponca in 1982. Very sad ending to the week.

|

9/29/2021 1:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2021 1:09 PM

I was standing right there when Henry Hill got it's name at Budds Creek ('95?). Never heard a crowd scream like that at a motocross race.
-saw RJ's second-to-last race outdoor race ever, Budds Creek 1990, when he wadded it on the Big Gulp in practice on the CR500 (he won his final outdoor race the next weekend at Unadilla)
-at Steel City for Langston's wheel meltdown/championship loss.
-saw James Stewart's last win on a KX125- Steel City.
-saw Stewart go from last to first at Budds Creek.
-2007 MXDN at Budds Creek when Villopoto stomped the world on a 250F.
-Mike Alessi's first podium- Steel City.

|

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” ― Ernest Hemingway

9/29/2021 1:08 PM

Dirtbikeracer wrote:

I was At Millville 2006 when Carmichael Lapped the whole field.
It was also Ryan Dungey pro debut he got 7th over all. Photo
Photo

When rc lapped the field, is a Huge one... probably never be done ever again! Wish I was there that day....

Also wish I would have gotten to see Magoo race in person.... but never did.... sigh...

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

9/29/2021 1:11 PM

Millville 07, RCs last national, 101st or 102nd win?

|

9/29/2021 1:20 PM

I was at the Finnish GP 1993 where Albertyn clinched his first 250 title.
My first GP that I attended and it was a memorable one. I was 16 at the time.

I found an arcticle of that race.

https://mxvice.com/a-trip-down-memory-lane-greg-albertyn-and-the-finnish-gp/

|

9/29/2021 1:23 PM

Brent wrote:

I was there- some of you kids may have to Google Marty Moates… Photo

I was there also. Best moto day of my life. I lost my voice screaming for Marty that day.

Photo

|

9/29/2021 1:27 PM

A1 when RC rolled out on a Honda for the first time. He got booed.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

9/29/2021 1:31 PM

I have a couple "On Any Sunday" races I was at. On the original the whole build up of the Grand National Championship with Mert Lawill, I was in the stands with my dad at the final Sacramento mile race. Then in 1979 I was at Carlsbad GP when "On Any Sunday II" was filmed as Brad Lackey was supposed to win the championship. I don't have a Sacramento mile photo but here is one of Lackey on GP 500 Kawasaki. I always thought it was cool that I was at the final climax race for both movies.

Photo

|

9/29/2021 1:32 PM

1980 Lakewood Co National, two Colorado locals finish inside the top 10. Boo Stichter in the 250s and Arlo England in the 500s.
82 Castle Rock Co National, RJ blew out his front wheel allowing Donnie Hansen to win the title.
Buds Creek MXON, Villopoto crushes it on a 250f.

|

9/29/2021 1:35 PM

Washougal ‘99. First and second place separated by literally a single bike length in 3 of the 4 motos, and the fourth was won convincingly by local hero Jason McCormick. Was also Jimmy Button’s one and only overall big-bike win.

|

"You can't resist the louder pull..."

9/29/2021 1:38 PM

I was at Charlotte MXGP in 16 and that was just the most badass race ever, Webb coming from 19th to pass Herlings for the moto win and overall. Nothing else really compares.

Dungey ran out of gas right in front of me at Freestone 2011 and that eventually gave the championship to Villopoto.

I got to see Stewart go 1-1 at Freestone during his 24-0 season

Canard winning Houston supercross in 2011 was a great race, too. KDub had that one but crashed out, then Dungey passed Canard a few times. Amazing, intense racing; I had never seen someone race as tenaciously as Canard.

I watched Grant Langston Whiskey Throttle his KTM250SX into the concrete at Houston SX 04. I remember watching and just being so confused, it looked like he just gave up and rode right over the berm and face planted.

And wherever Jarrid is - I got to see Cole Seely win that 450 supercross in Houston. Then we got so much free Jimmy John's from the RCH team that I only ate those sandwiches the rest of the weekend.

|

Holeshot Coffee Co.
Each bag sold donates $1 to Road2Recovery

9/29/2021 1:44 PM

Reed Vs. Carmichael in 2003 at Cowboy stadium in Dallas. The whole place was on their feet pretty much the entire race.

Seeing Stewart win his first supercross win in the premier class in 2005 was also pretty awesome.

|

Warning: I support propane and propane accessories, fossil burning two-cycle engines, U.S. beef industry and watching the best athletes in the world go to battle... Yup...