Tell Us About Attending Your Very First Outdoor National (or GP) ?

Rupert X
Edited Date/Time 5/22/2020 6:49am
Who, what, where, when and why ? How far did you have to travel ? Bring girlfriend, family or pack o’ goons ? Who won ? *Best of health to you all, these old pics unrelated to my first, 1976 at Southwick, had to look up and see in Racer X Archives that it was Pierre Karsmakers that won.....

|
mxrider641
5/20/2020 9:53am
Pretty sure the year was 1976, and I know the track was Mexico, NY - Convinced my father/uncle/cousin that we needed to go, had no clue what was going on and where to watch. Very funny when I think back, I knew who most of the riders were, but who was this Hannah guy and what was he doing up front? No CycleNews for me, just rags when I could afford them.
GoldenKTM
5/20/2020 9:57am
I went to Budd's Creek in 2017 while I was in technical training for the Air Force. It was really hot and humid but I was used to it after 2 months in Texas.

I drove about 2 hours but officially it was 1 hour if you're asking my Military Training Leaders.

Justin Bogle and AC won that day but ZachO won the title.

Here are some pics I took.

woodsrider427
5/20/2020 10:43am
Budds Creek 1994. Drove 5 hours from Long Island with my girlfriend at the time. Mike LaRocco won, couldn't believe anyone could go that fast on a bike. Up until that point the fastest riders I had seen were the A guys in D34 (and they were plenty fast).

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/20/2020 10:45am
Glen Helen season opener, 1998. RC obliterated the 125s so soundly it was unbelievable. Mickael Pichon won the 250s on a Suzuki, I think, but I remember thinking RC should have lined up on his KX125 in that class and smoked those guys, too.
A notable thing about that race: Doug Henry was on his YZ400F. It seemed just like all the other bikes on the track except it was LOUD. You could hear that thing at all times, no matter where you were on the track.
Louie112
5/20/2020 11:09am
My first national was at Budds Creek '01. I was 7 years old and the rest of my family wanted to drive up from NC to check out Washington D.C. ; Pops said we could hit the Budds Creek National afterwards if the timing worked out!

That weekend was epic! Me and my sister caught our favorite rider, Travis Pastrana, walking around in the infield and grabbed a photo and some autographs. Earlier that morning, we we saw the Factory Honda truck and some mechanics hanging out in our hotel parking lot and they invited us into the truck to check it out! My mind was blown. I believe it was Ezra Lusk and Sebastian Tortelli riding for Honda at the time.
mwssquad827
5/20/2020 11:13am Edited Date/Time 5/20/2020 11:14am
Washougal last year.. came with a pack of old goons (vet class racers😂) camped out from Wednesday to Sunday and raced amateur days and PIR on Thursday night. We were posted up 2nd Moto in the corner that tomac bumped/passed musquin in for the lead. It was badass the crowd was wild for sure.. Was super fun to race a national level track.. I hope we can have a repeat for this year!
Shredder
Fantasy
1194th
5/20/2020 11:20am
1976 Fogelsville, PA Famous for the Jammer taking out Tony D. We came home with the broken off rear fender from Tommy Croft's Factory Honda. It was only an hour and a half from home and it was right at the end of my 5th grade year. Pretty rad stuff for a 5th grader.
mumbles
Fantasy
667th
5/20/2020 11:26am
1979 Carlsbad GP. Drove out from Phoenix with my riding buddy and my brother-in-law. It was hot as hell. I met DeCoster for the first time. He signed a scrap book I made of him.

The next year (1980) was even more epic as just me and my brother-in-law drove to Carlsbad for the GP and we took our bikes. We rode at Saddleback Park on Friday and got to meet Brian Myerscough who was testing the RH250 Full Floater. He was going to ride the support class at the GP. He actually ended up winning it. It was another super hot weekend as usual at Carlsbad. But we got to witness the biggest single moment in US MX history as Marty Moats won both motos.Standing on the side of the track waving the little American flags they gave us at the gate and screaming every time he came around. It was amazing. I still have the program and ticket from that race.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
5/20/2020 11:32am Edited Date/Time 5/20/2020 11:36am
1992 Budds creek National, Me, mom, dad, a few friends and their parents drove 3 hours. First motos were a little wet but it rained for the second motos.

Jeremy McGrath was basically trying to give away signed posters sitting with the Peak Honda Pro Circuit team, nobody knew what was about to happen in the coming years.

I was amazed by the intensity of the racing, Jeff Emig's corner speed was unreal. He went on to win the day and the championship.

The two videos should start on the highlights of the two 125 and 500 motos.

Stanton (my hero) stood with a cold stare at all times, pretty intimidating at 14 years old. But the title on the line and his distrust in his team mate JMB, was going to be a tough day

Jeff had to win and Mike kiedrowski had to get 3rd for Jeff to win the title. Yes it was the 500 title!

The video tells the story, that track and those conditions had JMB whipping everyones ass, but rode like a cold fish, which i believe was on purpose.
Rupert X
5/20/2020 11:39am
Dig ALL your recollections, keep ‘em coming ....,...
JRCII
5/20/2020 11:45am
My first national spectating was Southwick on 5/7/78, went with my two cousins who lived in Suffield,CT about a half hour from the track. We had a 1/2 keg of Budweiser in a kids wagon and the cops just rolled their eyes and said you guys look like you are ready to have have a good time as we went in the gate. Broc Glover won the 125 class over Gaylon Moisier and Bob Hannah won the 250’s over Pierre Karsmakers who was my moto hero at that time.
The highlight of the day though was that after the races were over and people were just hanging around, two red headed identical twin sisters started having a fight over some guy and the fists and red hair were flying as the crowd cheered them on.
Holigan
5/20/2020 11:47am
1983 at Lake Whitney, all 3 classes racing. Bailey, O'Mara, Ward, Lechien, Barnett, Hannah, Howerton, Glover, Chandler and more.

A massive berm gets built up in the middle of the big right hand sweeper in the infield. About 20' down the straight from the exit of the corner, four of us are in lawn chairs with our feet about one foot behind the thin pickets holding up the ribbon at the edge of the track. Every rider is railing that berm at warp speed. Magoo had gotten a terrible start or was in a crash, so he was back in the field. In an attempt to pass a handful of riders in one corner, Magoo flat tracks that big bore Honda on the outside of the berm in that long sweeper. He has the bike sideways and pinned, and wipes out every picket down the straight with his rear wheel hanging out. He missed our feet by about 6 inches as the ribbon floated to the ground. We all looked at each other, picked up our lawn chairs, took one step back, and sat back down. Great day of racing!
Mx391
5/20/2020 12:01pm
2008 Unadilla. I was 16 or 17. Drinking gin and juice all day. partying in random campers. Racing am day hung over as shit. Some dudes stole security guards atv and burnt it to the ground. It was awesome.
dimetime
5/20/2020 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2020 4:18pm
Trans AMA race at Saddleback. I don't remember the year exactly. '74? All l know is the pits were open and l got so many Euro autographs l was a hero in the neighborhood. Two stand outs for me, Adolf Weil, l don't know why exactly but l latched on to this guy early and was always a fan. Sylvan Geobors sp? was so nice to me it made me an immediate fan of his and the entire family.

When my parents moved out to Phoenix from Anaheim in '91 the autobraphs got inadvertently thrown out. I was so pissed but l hadn't marked the box or kept it with me so l had to smile and eat it.

Edit, a little research leads to '71 Trans AMA. Damn l was 7, why did Pops let me run wild all day alone?
mxrider641
5/20/2020 12:03pm
Louie112 wrote:
My first national was at Budds Creek '01. I was 7 years old and the rest of my family wanted to drive up from NC to...
My first national was at Budds Creek '01. I was 7 years old and the rest of my family wanted to drive up from NC to check out Washington D.C. ; Pops said we could hit the Budds Creek National afterwards if the timing worked out!

That weekend was epic! Me and my sister caught our favorite rider, Travis Pastrana, walking around in the infield and grabbed a photo and some autographs. Earlier that morning, we we saw the Factory Honda truck and some mechanics hanging out in our hotel parking lot and they invited us into the truck to check it out! My mind was blown. I believe it was Ezra Lusk and Sebastian Tortelli riding for Honda at the time.
I was there as well - rained like mad Saturday, beautiful Sunday!

Bidirella
5/20/2020 12:16pm
GP Namur 2002.(Visit the other ones till 06 to) That vibe and track was just unreal, after that been to allot of GPs and MXDN but nothing like that. You could hear they coming with the noise off the bikes and the crowd, it got bigger and bigger and then they came across, it was just amazing.

Remember like it was yesterday, the big steep step down into the woods. It was so steep you could barely walk off or get on top off it. There was a big rope on the side off the track so you could pull yourself up the hill or get slowly down. On top off it you couldn’t see the landing until a few footsteps before the take off. Only just some big green trees.

That got me like WTF are they racing this? And even more crazy, some guys jumped that step down to! Fans got wild and crazy when someone jumped it and it got me cheering to!

Amazing first GP, i dont even remember who won, but who cares? It’s a weekend i will never forget
philG
5/20/2020 12:19pm
First GP was Farleigh Castle in 1979, we went down for the day , sat in a crap place in the woods, queued for hours to get in and out. I guess I was 13 or 14.

Learned to drive and did 125/250 stuff here too, didn't miss a 500GP until about 1990. first Nations was Valkenswaard in 1991, first Foreign GP was Valkenswaard the following spring.

I did a 250 GP at Arbis in France for my honeymoon, and my daughter did 2 GP's in Kester, Belgium, and Holzgerlingen in Germany in 1996 , as an 8 month old, with her 3 year old brother.

Since then we did Gp's in Germany, France , Italy, Belgium and Holland, and Switzerland.

My Son hasn't missed a Nations since 2010 ( I think I have missed 3 cos I had a race myself) , and he has added Portugal to the GP list.

Add to that I have done 8 races a year in Germany/Czech/Belgium. Since 2011, we have done some miles from the UK

Anyway back to Farliegh… Heiki Mikkola crashed in front of us , on the first lap , and took an age to get going. When he did , he rode through the pack in the 45+2 race like I have never seen.. up until that day I had never seen a race live, or a bike bigger than a 125 , only schoolboy MX (we were racing local stuff) . The bit where we sat , I don't even think they changed gear in our sight. I was underwhelmed at the time, but looking back it set me on the path. So many people , such a great day.

And as a footnote , we raced there this year at the Vets Des Nations, 40 years later, and did Rewind at Unadilla too.

Louie112
5/20/2020 12:27pm
Louie112 wrote:
My first national was at Budds Creek '01. I was 7 years old and the rest of my family wanted to drive up from NC to...

mxrider641 wrote:
I was there as well - rained like mad Saturday, beautiful Sunday! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/05/20/428434/s1200_IMG_1552.jpg[/img]
I was there as well - rained like mad Saturday, beautiful Sunday!

Hell yeah! I probably still have 10 of those stickers on the garage walls back at my parents' house in NC!
sende
Fantasy
4429th
5/20/2020 12:31pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2020 12:36pm
1993 GP of Finland. Albertyn clinched the title in the second moto by a mediocre performance. He was free from pressure and on fire in 3rd and won it. (yes, there were 3 motos back then).
I'll never forget the first time seeing pro level speed. First lap of first moto Donny Schmit was leading and the top 10 were just soo fast as they flew past us.
5/20/2020 12:35pm
First outdoor national was Glen Helen sometime around 2005 or 2006. There really is nothing quite like the first time you see, hear and feel 40 bikes drag race to that first turn. I will never forget that.
5/20/2020 12:48pm
1990 USGP at Glen Helen and it was glorious except trying to get out of that two lane road. Took and hour and a half to get to the frontage road. I remember Kiedrowski going by in his pickup on the shoulder at about 30 while we were all parked.
SEEMEFIRST
5/20/2020 12:49pm
Holigan wrote:
1983 at Lake Whitney, all 3 classes racing. Bailey, O'Mara, Ward, Lechien, Barnett, Hannah, Howerton, Glover, Chandler and more. A massive berm gets built up in...
1983 at Lake Whitney, all 3 classes racing. Bailey, O'Mara, Ward, Lechien, Barnett, Hannah, Howerton, Glover, Chandler and more.

A massive berm gets built up in the middle of the big right hand sweeper in the infield. About 20' down the straight from the exit of the corner, four of us are in lawn chairs with our feet about one foot behind the thin pickets holding up the ribbon at the edge of the track. Every rider is railing that berm at warp speed. Magoo had gotten a terrible start or was in a crash, so he was back in the field. In an attempt to pass a handful of riders in one corner, Magoo flat tracks that big bore Honda on the outside of the berm in that long sweeper. He has the bike sideways and pinned, and wipes out every picket down the straight with his rear wheel hanging out. He missed our feet by about 6 inches as the ribbon floated to the ground. We all looked at each other, picked up our lawn chairs, took one step back, and sat back down. Great day of racing!
My first was Whitney in the late 70's. I went to every one after, so they kind of run together.

Notable moments, Hannah coming off a practice, not sure if he was pissed off or happy, but he wheelied all the way from the exit lane to the widow maker hill and bombed the hill on a 125. If you know the hill, you understand.

Another was Barnett finishing with a broken footpeg. He rested his foot on the clutch cover.
(Now stuck tear offs throw them off, pfft)

Got to see Howerton win at home. Him and Stackable out lasted every one in the Texas Heat.
Yes, home field advantage.

All great times. Finally got to take my son to his first there.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
5/20/2020 1:24pm
Sears Point, 1980.
At 9 years old, I really liked riding my Mini Enduro, but I didn't know a damn thing about dirtbikes. During the first 125 moto, I decided I liked the red bikes and not the yellow ones. So whenever the leader on the yellow bike would come by, I would give him the thumbs down. When the 500 class took off, I was happy to give the thumbs up to the guy on the red bike. I repeated this in the second motos. My dad told me some guy named Broc Glover on the yellow Yamaha won the 125 class, and the guy that won on the red Honda was Chuck Sun (hey- that sounds like Sheheen announcing a SX race). While that meant absolutely nothing to me, I sure did love watching the races.

As the years wore on and I became a real fan on motocross, I came to realize that Broc was not only one of the all time greats, but everyone save Bob Hannah really liked him. I decided that if I ever go the chance to meet him, I'd apologize for the thumbs down.

A couple of years ago at Hangtown I got my chance. Broc was walking around doing his Dunlop duties and I stopped him. Introduced myself and then my son to one of the greatest MX racers ever. My son had heard me talk about Broc's accomplishments, so he was suitably impressed as well. I recalled the Sears Point story from 35 years ago, and let Mr Glover know that I was sorry for being a dumb ass kid. He laughed it off, saying he certainly didn't remember anything like that (not that I expected him to). Broc then spent the next 30 minutes bench racing, telling stories, and just being an amazing ambassador for the sport as well as for Dunlop. I've been told that it's best to never meet your heroes, but Broc proved that saying wrong.
HuskyEd
5/20/2020 1:40pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2020 1:41pm
1975 USGP at Carlsbad. What an exciting day. Got to see all my heros that day. To see the 250 support class and to see Marty Smith and Tommy Croft come out on those fire engine red Hondas was a sight and then to see the mighty 500's with the lone CCM thumper of John Banks.

Watching Rex Staten take the lead in moto1 we thought there was history in the making but it was not meant to be. Was a great day at Carlsbad for sure.
troymoto2
Fantasy
74th
5/20/2020 2:25pm
Southwick 1989, I was 8. I went with my Dad and his friend. I remember seeing Bradshaw sitting in the back of his box van, in just his holy underwear, with a fan blowing right in his face to try and cool off, i knew he was a bad dude! Bob Hannah crashed out of the second moto and was hanging out in the back of his box van, telling stories and drinking beers with fans. I was so nervous, but my dad sent me up into the van to get his autograph on my Ocean Pacific t shirt. I was a shy kid, and Bob was larger than life to me, it was really a cool moment. On the way out a track official riding by on a quad stopped me and said, "you look like a lonely kid," and handed me the press packets for Team Suzuki and Team Kawasaki. I think i blacked out after that! Such a great memory.

davis224
Fantasy
165th
5/20/2020 2:30pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2020 2:30pm
It was Red Bud 07, the last dance of Stewart vs Carmichael. I think I met you by the leap during practice, Rup, and talked Zeppelin for a bit. Raced amateur day (when it was the friday before the race) and it was crazy overwatered to make it nice for the pros Saturday and Sunday, got completely blown away by both the competition and the scale of the track vs the 3 smaller local tracks I had ridden before. Cant remember his name now, but he was still a top amateur prospect from Australia on a KTM 125, lapped me on the 3rd lap before the finish line, and threw the nastiest whip in front of my face. Spectated the night track and saw RC, Tedesco, and I think Erin Bates roll past me in a golf cart.

Watched the Sunday national on top of the hill next to the grandstands, running back and forth so I could see both sides of the track. Ended up bumping into Ryan Sipes who was out injured, watching in the same spot. It's still burned in my brain seeing James go over the bars, and the whip RC threw over the leap on the last lap. Great race for a first race.
5/20/2020 3:48pm
My first GP was in 1986,the final round of the 500 worldchampionship here in Luxembourg.I am still flashed today,epic!

Post a reply to: Tell Us About Attending Your Very First Outdoor National (or GP) ?

The Latest