Technique for wheelieing whoops/rollers

yz133rider
3/1/2018 7:47am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2018 5:16am
Is there a part to this technique that can conserve energy? I find if i wheelie thru often times it uses most of the energy i have in my forearms and after that are pretty smoked. I try to ride loose everyehere i can but in those sections isnt much choice.

Maybe finding the speed and line to jump thru is less tiring.

Also am not remotely talking about stadium whoops just different obstacles on an outdoor track
|
BobbyM
3/1/2018 9:38am
yz133rider wrote:
Is there a part to this technique that can conserve energy? I find if i wheelie thru often times it uses most of the energy i...
Is there a part to this technique that can conserve energy? I find if i wheelie thru often times it uses most of the energy i have in my forearms and after that are pretty smoked. I try to ride loose everyehere i can but in those sections isnt much choice.

Maybe finding the speed and line to jump thru is less tiring.

Also am not remotely talking about stadium whoops just different obstacles on an outdoor track
Right wrist, turn it.
3/1/2018 9:44am
Step one, don't wear any gear of any kind. Stay tuned for more riding tips from Coach DV!

mikec265
3/1/2018 7:52pm
I find sitting on the couch watching people who can actually ride is great for conserving energy. Wish I knew the answer
JM485
3/1/2018 7:59pm
Use your legs more, that’s the best advise I have. I don’t think you’re ever going to get away from using forearm energy, but really try to use your legs to manipulate the bike more. Also, carry that speed through, I see so many guys wheelie thought, only to let off too early and just plow into the next roller, rather than carry their momentum all the way over to the next one.

The best practice you can get is getting on a bmx or cruiser and hitting up the local park or bmx track. You’ll learn so much about how to use your legs and body to control the bike that you just don’t get anywhere else.

The Shop

Jake_CR250R
3/1/2018 8:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 8:32pm
Step one, don't wear any gear of any kind. Stay tuned for more riding tips from Coach DV! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/07/242474/s1200_1342E7F9_0045_427D_AD3C_D8338B3B7FE3.jpg[/img]
Step one, don't wear any gear of any kind. Stay tuned for more riding tips from Coach DV!

I mean can't argue that. Look at the foot positioning
kkawboy14
3/1/2018 8:51pm
Relaxing and wheelieing whoops? That has to be so ingrained into your abilities that you don’t even realize how you did it. Serious FLOW
Doddy
3/1/2018 9:12pm
JM485 wrote:
Use your legs more, that’s the best advise I have. I don’t think you’re ever going to get away from using forearm energy, but really try...
Use your legs more, that’s the best advise I have. I don’t think you’re ever going to get away from using forearm energy, but really try to use your legs to manipulate the bike more. Also, carry that speed through, I see so many guys wheelie thought, only to let off too early and just plow into the next roller, rather than carry their momentum all the way over to the next one.

The best practice you can get is getting on a bmx or cruiser and hitting up the local park or bmx track. You’ll learn so much about how to use your legs and body to control the bike that you just don’t get anywhere else.
I agree. Manualing a BMX bike on the track/park/streets as a teen really upped my game. Still feel the burning in my legs from it. Still can't do sweet slow wheelies to save my life though.
yz133rider
3/1/2018 9:14pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Relaxing and wheelieing whoops? That has to be so ingrained into your abilities that you don’t even realize how you did it. Serious FLOW
Kind of what i figured but that's one technique ive never read any tips about so decided to ask.
Turbojez
3/2/2018 12:08am
Not that I'm an expert of some kind, but the only way to conserve energy through rollers is to get your bike on the rear wheel more by using more throttle, instead of pulling the bike to your chest using back and arms' strength. Another way to overcome it is do lots of reps of the excersice below. I know it helped me a lot in an overall moto strength.

yz133rider
3/2/2018 6:11pm
Turbojez wrote:
Not that I'm an expert of some kind, but the only way to conserve energy through rollers is to get your bike on the rear wheel...
Not that I'm an expert of some kind, but the only way to conserve energy through rollers is to get your bike on the rear wheel more by using more throttle, instead of pulling the bike to your chest using back and arms' strength. Another way to overcome it is do lots of reps of the excersice below. I know it helped me a lot in an overall moto strength.

Thanks yes have been steady at the gym for about a bit over a month now (i know not long but its hard sticking with it for me)

answers are more seat time
More speed
More gym and fitness
And more throttle!

Will try it out next week!
Lightning78
3/2/2018 8:23pm
In my experience Wheeling whoops and ESPECIALLY rollers has always been a big energy saver for me ....

While I'm not sure what degree of difficulty the whoops you have in mind are, for nice rolling mounds aka "rollers" basically you use your legs and balance to "manual" the rollers letting the bike do what it needs to as the rear wheel drops in between the rollers and which point your legs should be slightly bent retaining just a little more travel just in case and keeping you tucked onto the bike and as the rear wheel crests over the top of each roller your legs are in the opposite extension you had when the rear wheel was in between rollers ..... During all this you're still using 90% legs to grip and hold onto the bike while also using your balance for the most important part which is keeping the front wheel in the same position throughout the section of rollers just slightly above the top of each rolling bump. When I do it successfully my arms and hands have a very relaxed hold on the bike as I'm also using my core to work the bike and mostly just using my arms to maintain control of the rowing motion the handlebars are wanting to do.
yz133rider
3/2/2018 8:37pm
In my experience Wheeling whoops and ESPECIALLY rollers has always been a big energy saver for me .... While I'm not sure what degree of difficulty...
In my experience Wheeling whoops and ESPECIALLY rollers has always been a big energy saver for me ....

While I'm not sure what degree of difficulty the whoops you have in mind are, for nice rolling mounds aka "rollers" basically you use your legs and balance to "manual" the rollers letting the bike do what it needs to as the rear wheel drops in between the rollers and which point your legs should be slightly bent retaining just a little more travel just in case and keeping you tucked onto the bike and as the rear wheel crests over the top of each roller your legs are in the opposite extension you had when the rear wheel was in between rollers ..... During all this you're still using 90% legs to grip and hold onto the bike while also using your balance for the most important part which is keeping the front wheel in the same position throughout the section of rollers just slightly above the top of each rolling bump. When I do it successfully my arms and hands have a very relaxed hold on the bike as I'm also using my core to work the bike and mostly just using my arms to maintain control of the rowing motion the handlebars are wanting to do.
Awesome explanation. Cant wait to get out there again
Jeff alessi
3/2/2018 9:47pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2018 9:49pm
In my experience Wheeling whoops and ESPECIALLY rollers has always been a big energy saver for me .... While I'm not sure what degree of difficulty...

To add to this, the momentum you bring in is what keeps it controlled. Imagine it like this, popping the clutch from a stand still will throw off everything in the burst, but the greater the momentum the easier it is to continue making little changes while your head (commitment and momentum) is driviving the bike strait and threw. The fastest riders make this happen because they come in with a lot of smooth momentum and just maintenance the flow by staying ahead of the balance curves. If your hanging off the bike anytime your doing it wrong, strait elbows make you a passenger to left right forward movements, everything should come from your legs and core sucking the bike to the ground in power while upper body absorbs and moves minor movements while being in front of the momentum and forward balance curve, it makes things easy so your not going from wide open to off power to on power, all that should be smooth transitions. Hope this helps.
yz133rider
3/3/2018 5:16am

To add to this, the momentum you bring in is what keeps it controlled. Imagine it like this, popping the clutch from a stand still will...
To add to this, the momentum you bring in is what keeps it controlled. Imagine it like this, popping the clutch from a stand still will throw off everything in the burst, but the greater the momentum the easier it is to continue making little changes while your head (commitment and momentum) is driviving the bike strait and threw. The fastest riders make this happen because they come in with a lot of smooth momentum and just maintenance the flow by staying ahead of the balance curves. If your hanging off the bike anytime your doing it wrong, strait elbows make you a passenger to left right forward movements, everything should come from your legs and core sucking the bike to the ground in power while upper body absorbs and moves minor movements while being in front of the momentum and forward balance curve, it makes things easy so your not going from wide open to off power to on power, all that should be smooth transitions. Hope this helps.
Jeff i noticed lately your posts are super helpful. I appreciate it not just in this thread but others too. Some really good tips for those willing to take it in.

Post a reply to: Technique for wheelieing whoops/rollers

The Latest