Technique and Physics to Properly Turning a Motorcycle.

Talisker
1/24/2020 4:38am
We all hear practice technique. In my years riding dirt bikes, I am astonished on how many riders don’t really know the true physics of a motorcycle, or how to turn one.
When I use the age ole saying “you have to turn left to turn right” people who don’t know look at me as if I’m crazy in disbelief.
Attached a simple video that may be a bit lengthy and slow to start. When he gets on the highway at speed, it show how easy and how little effort it takes to turn.
|
1/24/2020 5:45am
Push left side, turn left.

Actually, when you push on the left bar end, physics makes the bike "fall" to the left. That big front wheel is just a gyroscope held in place by the long forks.
kb228
1/24/2020 7:20am
When i went to get my endorsement they taught us that. Took me a while to comprehend it. Ive always “just turn the bike” without really thinking about it. I always wondered whos actually thinking, push on the left grip to turn left.
Talisker
1/24/2020 8:25am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2020 9:32am
kb228 wrote:
When i went to get my endorsement they taught us that. Took me a while to comprehend it. Ive always “just turn the bike” without really...
When i went to get my endorsement they taught us that. Took me a while to comprehend it. Ive always “just turn the bike” without really thinking about it. I always wondered whos actually thinking, push on the left grip to turn left.
Agreed. Rode everyday growing up. Could not wait to get out of school to ride in our yard, the field, or the trails down the road. Even rode those dangerous 3 wheelers (joke). Turning came natural. I never noticed it until 4 strokes came out. The old (first) 4 strokes had TONS of engine braking. Was use to braking, rolling into the corner, and then your just out as fast as you approached it. Everyone raved about how great 4 strokes were and that they would never own a 2 stroke again. I on the other hand, did not feel the same. I could not under stand why I could not turn those heavy POS. Not to mention, they did not accelerate “Now” like a 2t. Someone mentioned to me the “Turn Left to Turn Right” age ole saying. This was around 99ish. Until then, I did not realize what I was doing. I also did not realize the physics of what came naturally on a 2 stroke...
Cant tell you how many people I’ve met since then that don’t know this.
Trying to “pay it forward” and help someone else out who may not know or is to embarrased to ask.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
1/24/2020 9:21am
In the '90s, I had a few friends who graduated to streetbikes. Either through a salesman's disinformation, or confusion on their part, or both, they started believing that streetbikes turned like a dirt bike at speeds below 100MPH, then reversed at speeds above 100MPH. (I think they got confused by the streamlined land speed vehicle in On Any Sunday, which actually had that effect due to aerodynamics).
Even knowing that, they said, "Under 100 MPH, you turn right to go right" (incorrectly). "Then above 100 you turn left to go right." It's a wonder they weren't killed.
Another friend of mine went for a street ride with me around that time and asked me about it, worried. I said to him, "You know how to turn a motorcycle. Don't worry about it. You have always been turning left to go right. And it never changes at speed." He rode down the street, gently pushing on the bars and came back, nodding his head. It's really simple once you take time to think about it.

Whenever I teach riders about basic handling skills, I make them ride slowly alongside a fence and dare them not to crash into it. It really drives home the lesson.

The Shop

TeamGreen
1/27/2020 12:23pm
Inertia Matters?

No WAY!
1/27/2020 3:04pm
thephoenix wrote:
Push left side, turn left. Actually, when you push on the left bar end, physics makes the bike "fall" to the left. That big front wheel...
Push left side, turn left.

Actually, when you push on the left bar end, physics makes the bike "fall" to the left. That big front wheel is just a gyroscope held in place by the long forks.
came here to say this.
MVmoto
1/27/2020 3:32pm
When you "turn left to turn right" it helps you lean the motorcycle which is one way a motorcycle turns...
When the bike starts to lean, you gotta turn in to the lean or you'll crash!
Common sense should tell you that you cant literally turn left to turn right. It's not physically possible.

Post a reply to: Technique and Physics to Properly Turning a Motorcycle.

The Latest