TechNiche Cooling Vest - Awesome!!

MXEditor
Edited Date/Time 6/23/2019 11:26pm
We have been testing one of the Techniche cooling vests - they use this HyperKewl component and it works.

Yesterday it was about 92 on the track if not hotter, wore this thing, it was incredible. Must of lowered my core temp a lot - at least very noticeable. It turned a very hot and potentially short day into an all-day affair.

Really good stuff - recommended! Will post pics later after dumping the camera.
|
MXEditor
7/9/2012 6:38am
Totally worth it! Cheap insurance against heat stroke!
slipdog
7/9/2012 6:41am
Thanks for the post!

I found them online for $40, is the sizing the same as shirt size?

The Shop

MXEditor
7/9/2012 6:46am
slipdog wrote:
Thanks for the post!

I found them online for $40, is the sizing the same as shirt size?
I goes by chest size - I wear a medium and it needs to be snug so it sits against you.

You can't even see it once your jersey is on...really simple but incredibly effective
uk125250
7/9/2012 9:24am
Does this work better than the vest you put the ice packs in? I'm extremely intolerant if heat because an illness. Do you leave it in the freezer until you use it?
slipdog
7/9/2012 9:41am
uk125250 wrote:
Does this work better than the vest you put the ice packs in? I'm extremely intolerant if heat because an illness. Do you leave it in...
Does this work better than the vest you put the ice packs in? I'm extremely intolerant if heat because an illness. Do you leave it in the freezer until you use it?
Forgot to quote you... see post above.
MXEditor
7/9/2012 9:49am
You don't put ice packs in it...you either pour water into it as we did or you can immerse it totally - we found it was a bit too wet doing that but could have easily squeezed out the excess water.

We also found that to use ice water from the cooler was too cold!!

The water evaps so slowly, we are still drying ours out today on the porch.
uk125250
7/9/2012 9:55am
Thanks! I'll have to try one. The ice vest is bulky.
MXEditor
7/9/2012 10:00am
uk125250 wrote:
Thanks! I'll have to try one. The ice vest is bulky.
I can guarantee this is going to be a lot more comfortable!
slipdog
7/9/2012 10:02am
I didn't see the link to the 811 foundation that PPS Moto posted untill just now.

I think I'll order one through them so the few extra bucks goes to a good cause!
dehner47
7/9/2012 3:29pm
and where do i order one of these for the next race in 2 weeks??
Titan1
7/9/2012 3:41pm
How long do they last? Would one last a full 3 hours or so for a hare and hound? I'd hate to have it dry out and then become another insulating layer.

Also, how bulky is it? I were the Fox Titan body armour under my jersey and I'd have to wear it under that...

I don't tolerate the heat well at all....so if this would last a full three hours, it could really save me!
BAMX
7/9/2012 3:49pm
Titan1 wrote:
How long do they last? Would one last a full 3 hours or so for a hare and hound? I'd hate to have it dry out...
How long do they last? Would one last a full 3 hours or so for a hare and hound? I'd hate to have it dry out and then become another insulating layer.

Also, how bulky is it? I were the Fox Titan body armour under my jersey and I'd have to wear it under that...

I don't tolerate the heat well at all....so if this would last a full three hours, it could really save me!
MXA has a product test on them. 4 stars. They say that the claim is 8 hours but in reality they thought that 1 hr was more realistic for moto.
MXEditor
7/9/2012 3:55pm
Titan1 wrote:
How long do they last? Would one last a full 3 hours or so for a hare and hound? I'd hate to have it dry out...

IMine was still wet today and after sitting in the sun!

I can't say 100% it would last 3 hours - there are factors that affect how fast it evaporates of course - like median temperature, chest protector/neck braces, vented gear, etc.

My "guess" is that with a CP it would last that long with a good soaking, like leaving it in the cooler for a while.
chronicmx
7/9/2012 5:40pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2012 8:05pm
We have tested the hyperkewl vests extensively and love them too. We introduced Techniche to Bill Lichtle after Josh's death, as a way to help the foundation and to educate people about the importance of staying cool and hydrated. There are two vests. One is fairly inexpensive and is called the #6531. That is purely for use during exercise (riding) and works via Air flowing through it...so be warned that if you use a chest protector it wont cool as much. It works awesome with a vented jersey and is best in non humid areas. The second vest is more expensive and is the #4531. That one is a 'hybrid'... meaning you can use it before-during-and after your ride. It's the mack dady of em all. During your ride it works exactly like the less expensive #6531 and is activated by air flowing through it. However...what makes the #4531 worth the money is...it can be filled with 'cooling gel paks'. They are cold packs and fit into the vest via the velcro enclosures. Wear the vest with the gel packs before riding to cool your body. Simply take them out and keep the vest on when you go ride. Once your back from your ride...simply insert the cool packs in again to cool down for hours. They are hard to find but here is the link to buy them on our ebay store: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221010565891&ssPageN… Here is the link for the less expensive #6531: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220980784512&ssPageN… This was all prompted by our desire to prevent another rider from losing his life from something that could have been avoided. We have enjoyed working with the 811 foundation to set them up with Techniche. Thanks Christian from Chronic MX.
JOHN CHOATE
7/9/2012 8:10pm
I've heard good things about the vests you have on your ebay store, Christian. I've thought about getting one for Loretta's. If the weather around these parts as of late is any indicator of what's to come, they may break some heat records at LL's this year. Nice ebay store by the way!!!!!
fcr
7/10/2012 10:15am
I think I've seen Leipheimer in one of the #4531 warming up for the TT in the TDF. Good stuff.
jasonward73
7/10/2012 11:18am
chronicmx wrote:
We have tested the hyperkewl vests extensively and love them too. We introduced Techniche to Bill Lichtle after Josh's death, as a way to help the...
We have tested the hyperkewl vests extensively and love them too. We introduced Techniche to Bill Lichtle after Josh's death, as a way to help the foundation and to educate people about the importance of staying cool and hydrated. There are two vests. One is fairly inexpensive and is called the #6531. That is purely for use during exercise (riding) and works via Air flowing through it...so be warned that if you use a chest protector it wont cool as much. It works awesome with a vented jersey and is best in non humid areas. The second vest is more expensive and is the #4531. That one is a 'hybrid'... meaning you can use it before-during-and after your ride. It's the mack dady of em all. During your ride it works exactly like the less expensive #6531 and is activated by air flowing through it. However...what makes the #4531 worth the money is...it can be filled with 'cooling gel paks'. They are cold packs and fit into the vest via the velcro enclosures. Wear the vest with the gel packs before riding to cool your body. Simply take them out and keep the vest on when you go ride. Once your back from your ride...simply insert the cool packs in again to cool down for hours. They are hard to find but here is the link to buy them on our ebay store: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221010565891&ssPageN… Here is the link for the less expensive #6531: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220980784512&ssPageN… This was all prompted by our desire to prevent another rider from losing his life from something that could have been avoided. We have enjoyed working with the 811 foundation to set them up with Techniche. Thanks Christian from Chronic MX.
What model is the Josh Lichtle Foundation selling?
7/19/2012 5:55pm
MXEditor wrote:
We have been testing one of the Techniche cooling vests - they use this HyperKewl component and it works. Yesterday it was about 92 on the...
We have been testing one of the Techniche cooling vests - they use this HyperKewl component and it works.

Yesterday it was about 92 on the track if not hotter, wore this thing, it was incredible. Must of lowered my core temp a lot - at least very noticeable. It turned a very hot and potentially short day into an all-day affair.

We are looking forward to reading your review MX Editor.

To answer a few questions above:
slipdog - Our vests run true to your normal shirt size. A complete size chart can be found on our website www.techniche-intl.com under documents

uk125250 The current style that MX Editor is testing does not contain our Phase Change Cooling Packs. This vest you simply soak in water for 1-2 minuets and then wear under your jersey during the moto. If you are looking for Phase Change Cooling look into our Hybrid Elite #4531

dehner47 A few retailers have posted in this thread, if not please feel free to give us a call for a retailer in your area. 888-823-2665

Titan1 We state our HyperKewl Cooling products will last 5-10 hours but of course this depends on a lot of outside factors. Since our HyperKewl vests work on evaporation and airflow, during a moto you can expect 1-2 hours of cooling. The more airflow the better or cooler you will feel.

fcr yes you are correct Leipheimer is one of the many high profile athletes that train with our vest.

jasonward73 The 811 Foundation is selling our #6531 HyperKewl Evaporative Cooling Ultra Sport Vest

With the summer ride season upon us, feel free to ask me any questions!
8/24/2012 8:45am
MXEditor wrote:
We have been testing one of the Techniche cooling vests - they use this HyperKewl component and it works. Yesterday it was about 92 on the...

Read the www.mxnewsfeed.com review of our HyperKewl Cooling Vest here

http://www.mxnewsfeed.com/article.php?artid=3611

thanks again guys!
newmann
8/24/2012 8:59am
If the vest works through evaporation, how effective is it in the Houston area with 100 degree temps and 100 % humidity. I start sweating and can't stop. Once the clothing gets wet it only gets worse, even with vented gear.

I'm guessing it works a whole lot better in a drier climate.
yzmatt
8/24/2012 1:19pm
newmann wrote:
If the vest works through evaporation, how effective is it in the Houston area with 100 degree temps and 100 % humidity. I start sweating and...
If the vest works through evaporation, how effective is it in the Houston area with 100 degree temps and 100 % humidity. I start sweating and can't stop. Once the clothing gets wet it only gets worse, even with vented gear.

I'm guessing it works a whole lot better in a drier climate.
You beat me to it. I have yet to hear a decent review of an evaporative cooling vest that works worth a damn in the Humidity we face in Houston. I will buy one as soon as I'm convinced it won't make the heat WORSE for me in this part of the world....
8/24/2012 1:38pm
Hey Newman and YZMatt,
In higher humidity climates (90% and above) our evaporative vests will not work as well as they would in a more dry climate. This is not to say they will not work, as we have many riders in Florida and high humidity climates that swear by our HyperKewl vests and accessories. As with the case of all products that rely on evaporation for cooling (vests, swamp coolers, etc.) they will not work as well in high humidity environments (90% and above) because there is too much moisture already in the air.

An alternative is our Phase Change Cooling Vests which do not rely on evaporation to provide cooling.

Many of our top athletes wearing our cooling products are wearing our 4531 Elite Hybrid Cooling Vest as this provides both Evaporative Cooling and Phase Change Cooling. These vests are worn by the Honda International MX Team, The Kawasaki Monster Energy Australian Team as well as Tour De France Champion Alberto Contador and Formula 1 and Nascar Drivers.
newmann
8/24/2012 2:12pm
Funny you mention swamp coolers. That's exactly why I was asking in the first place. I have four of them and while they do work, they don't work nearly as good here as they do elsewhere.

Thanks for the info!
8/27/2012 9:10am
newmann wrote:
Funny you mention swamp coolers. That's exactly why I was asking in the first place. I have four of them and while they do work, they...
Funny you mention swamp coolers. That's exactly why I was asking in the first place. I have four of them and while they do work, they don't work nearly as good here as they do elsewhere.

Thanks for the info!
Not a problem Newman, thanks for the interest in our products. Keep your eyes open for more reviews from some of your favorite MX publications.

Make sure to "like" our facebook page as we are launching many give-a-ways this season!

Post a reply to: TechNiche Cooling Vest - Awesome!!

The Latest