Tech 3 buckles tough to release.

Detroit Dick
11/2/2020 6:29pm
I've got some Alpinestars Tech 3s. Love the fit and look, but the buckles are hard as hell to release after a ride...any tricks/lube/etc? to help make them easier to release?
|
Titanium
11/2/2020 6:39pm
Those were notoriously hard buckles to get open. I used to take a small round file and carefully remove a little material from the groove on the boot side clip. Only remove a little bit at a time and experiment.

Otherwise just pop em open with a flat blade screwdriver...
Spooner
11/2/2020 7:02pm
Are they really old tech 3's or ones from like the last 5 years or so? The old ones were a pain but the new ones can get tough at times. I just spray a little silicone spray on the hinges everyone once in a while on my tech 10's and they open like buttah after. They are the same basic design as the current tech 3.
Detroit Dick
11/2/2020 10:58pm
Spooner wrote:
Are they really old tech 3's or ones from like the last 5 years or so? The old ones were a pain but the new ones...
Are they really old tech 3's or ones from like the last 5 years or so? The old ones were a pain but the new ones can get tough at times. I just spray a little silicone spray on the hinges everyone once in a while on my tech 10's and they open like buttah after. They are the same basic design as the current tech 3.
They're old (but barely broken in...) I'm gonna try the silicone first, then get cautiously busy with a small file if the silicone doesn't work. Thanks for the advice! ( I've been using a small flathead like Titanium suggested, but my 11 year-old son called me on it..."Dad, are you sure that's the right tool for the job?"...
11/3/2020 2:37am
I have broke my ankle in tech 3's. It wasnt the fault of the tech 3's but i had to release the buckles for the doctor because he couldn't get them to release.Laughing

The Shop

Detroit Dick
11/3/2020 8:00pm
I have broke my ankle in tech 3's. It wasnt the fault of the tech 3's but i had to release the buckles for the doctor...
I have broke my ankle in tech 3's. It wasnt the fault of the tech 3's but i had to release the buckles for the doctor because he couldn't get them to release.Laughing
Whooo boy! That's a solid endorsement.... In all fairness, I "kicked a rock" at about 40 mph on my first ride with them on....I lost my big toenail, but no other damage....they paid for themselves right there....
mark_swart
11/4/2020 8:57am
I've had two sets of Tech 3, my first set they were very hard to undo, I had to use a screwdriver at the end of the day. My current set isn't nearly as bad. As someone said you can file away or even use a drill to make the latch slots a tiny bit bigger.
Paw Paw
11/4/2020 1:41pm
Titanium wrote:
Those were notoriously hard buckles to get open. I used to take a small round file and carefully remove a little material from the groove on...
Those were notoriously hard buckles to get open. I used to take a small round file and carefully remove a little material from the groove on the boot side clip. Only remove a little bit at a time and experiment.

Otherwise just pop em open with a flat blade screwdriver...
x2... this works great.

Paw Paw
skeef
Fantasy
1571st
11/4/2020 2:24pm Edited Date/Time 11/4/2020 2:24pm
haha this takes me back to being a kid and beat to death after riding and having to ask my dad to do the clips on my boots
edit: They were Tech3's

Post a reply to: Tech 3 buckles tough to release.

The Latest