Tech 10s vs Instincts

EHink450
Edited Date/Time 9/18/2018 8:59pm
Can anyone give me some input on which boots are better, tech 10s or the fox instincts? I can't decides on which ones I want. I have tech 7s at the moment but there like 2 sizes to big so it interferes with shifting badly.
|
9/18/2018 12:09am
I'll be that guy that tells you to get SG 12's instead

Between the two you mention though, I'd go with the tech 10s
9/18/2018 12:18am
I have ridden with every single pair of high end boots. My personal favorite are Sidi Crossfire boots. My last pair of boots were Tech 10's and I loved them. Before that, I had Fox Instincts and they were extremely comfortable but they kind of felt less supportive than the Tech 10's.

I actually just broke in aanother pair of Fox Instinct Boots this past weekend. Again, I think they are the most comfortable. Kind of like Sidi Crossfires but they just feel a little softer to me. Less supportive but more comfortable.

I also love SG-12's. However, they feel kind of bulky to me.

Check out my newest pair of Fox Instincts. This color never made it to production.
wheres wally
Fantasy
809th
9/18/2018 4:36am
My last pair were tech 10s and my current are Instincts, I kinda wish I just got another pair of tech 10s when the last pair wore out, but not much I could do after buying and trying the Fox's.

In saying that the instints are still great boots, but I personnelly much preferred the tech 10s, and they will be my next pair when the Fox's are toast.

The Shop

AZRider
9/18/2018 4:39am
I'm going to be another person to add that my instincts are the most comfortable boots Ive ever had. I have 2 pair of tech 10's that are great boots but not as comfortable..to me.
Bramlett321
9/18/2018 4:54am
I have ridden with every single pair of high end boots. My personal favorite are Sidi Crossfire boots. My last pair of boots were Tech 10's...
I have ridden with every single pair of high end boots. My personal favorite are Sidi Crossfire boots. My last pair of boots were Tech 10's and I loved them. Before that, I had Fox Instincts and they were extremely comfortable but they kind of felt less supportive than the Tech 10's.

I actually just broke in aanother pair of Fox Instinct Boots this past weekend. Again, I think they are the most comfortable. Kind of like Sidi Crossfires but they just feel a little softer to me. Less supportive but more comfortable.

I also love SG-12's. However, they feel kind of bulky to me.

Check out my newest pair of Fox Instincts. This color never made it to production.
For comfort I'd always go with that Instinct boot, you can put that sucker on and ride without socks. But, the tech 10 is still an amazing boot I just hate the bootie.
9/18/2018 7:04am
Instincts are light and very comfortable boots but not very protective. I rode instincts for 3 years but now my bad ankles scream for more support. Tech 10 gives much better ankle support yet still they offer pretty good feel. And you get used to bootie don't worry.
EHink450
9/18/2018 7:46am
Thanks guys. Your making this choice easier for me with your answers, but I have one more question... do the instincts fit well? Like are they true to size? Just wondering if I should try my usual 12 or if I'll need a 13. I have a really wide foot and a high in-step.
9/18/2018 8:23am
EHink450 wrote:
Thanks guys. Your making this choice easier for me with your answers, but I have one more question... do the instincts fit well? Like are they...
Thanks guys. Your making this choice easier for me with your answers, but I have one more question... do the instincts fit well? Like are they true to size? Just wondering if I should try my usual 12 or if I'll need a 13. I have a really wide foot and a high in-step.
Instincts tend to run one size small, atleast for me. My casual shoes are 9 and instincts i used size 10.
moto711
9/18/2018 8:29am
EHink450 wrote:
Thanks guys. Your making this choice easier for me with your answers, but I have one more question... do the instincts fit well? Like are they...
Instincts tend to run one size small, atleast for me. My casual shoes are 9 and instincts i used size 10.
See im opposite i run a size 10 in vans but on my instincts i run a size 9. But I do like my boots to be snug. My brother wears a 10 in vans and a 11 in instincts. I would recommend going to your local shop and trying on a pair to make sure they fit they way you want them to!
Btro317
9/18/2018 8:36am
I'll be that guy that tells you to get SG 12's instead

Between the two you mention though, I'd go with the tech 10s
+1 SG 12's are so comfortable and last forever... I would definitely consider Gaerne. SG 10's and SG 12's..
Spooner
9/18/2018 8:52am
The all new tech 10 will be available soon and are more comfortable than the previous version. There is a little more room in the toe box and they are ~1.5 lbs lighter per pair than the old version. Your foot sits even lower in these and the entire boot is skimmed down. It seems more like a tech 7 feel with tech 10 support. Maybe ML can chime in more as I know he’s ridden in them. I haven’t gotten my personal pair yet.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
9/18/2018 8:57am
I'd go Tech 10's. I love mine. SG12's would be my second choice.
Husky807
9/18/2018 9:12am
I can't comment on the Tech 10's or Instincts but i've been wearing the same pair of SG12's for coming up to 6 years now and they're still as comfy as ever and have held up perfectly. Granted i don't ride as much these days but i've still got a lot of wear out of them.
DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
9/18/2018 9:47am
sg12 for longevity
instincts for comfort wear out first
tech10 for comfort but doesn't last as long as sg12
murph783
9/18/2018 1:37pm
Slightly off topic but anyone try the tech 8 RS? I’ve run 10’s, sidi’s? Currently in SG 12’s. No complaints about them but I loved the original tech 8 and wanted to try those
Zaugg
9/18/2018 1:47pm
They're both gonna be pretty good.

I'll suggest, as I do every time these questions pop up, for you to TRY THEM ON.

If you have a wide foot, good luck making the Instincts comfortable. They tend to run narrow in the toe box.

The SG12's will be your best bet.

The Tech 10's are somewhere in the middle.

All three are really good boots.

Fit is important especially when dropping $500+ on boots.
9/18/2018 2:53pm
EHink450 wrote:
Can anyone give me some input on which boots are better, tech 10s or the fox instincts? I can't decides on which ones I want. I...
Can anyone give me some input on which boots are better, tech 10s or the fox instincts? I can't decides on which ones I want. I have tech 7s at the moment but there like 2 sizes to big so it interferes with shifting badly.
I honestly think they provide the same amount of protection/confort but the instinct are confortable right off the bat.

So, choose the best looking one in your opinion because they are really close in every aspects.

However, if you want the best protection/longevity out there, yes the gaerne S12 is the best but it takes 4 to 5 rides to get use to it (IMO) and they are not as confortable as the instinct.

DaBaum44
9/18/2018 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2018 4:44pm
Fox Instincts:
Pro's:
Sizing is spot on with the new models (blue inner liner)
Great comfort right out of the box, and the best "feel" on the bike
Great service from Fox. (Re-soles, parts, support, etc.)
Have been very durable in my experience

Cons:
Good support (7/10 support in my opinion. Not great but good enough if you don't have ankle issues).
Each time I have crashed one buckle will pop out. This has happened in every pair I have owned

Tech 10:
Pros:
Sizing is spot on
Great comfort once broken in
Best ankle support and protection
Long life: I wore one pair for 4 years with no issues

Cons:
Slightly heavier than other high end boots, which is definitely noticeable during long motos
Less "feel" on the bike compared to Fox Instincts

It's really a give and take. If you have bad ankles or want more support, I'd go with Tech 10's. If you want comfort and performance Fox Instinct's are the route to go.
loftyair
9/18/2018 5:06pm
Trying them on will answer your question.
EHink450
9/18/2018 5:12pm
loftyair wrote:
Well I can't ride with them both before making my choice
EHink450
9/18/2018 5:13pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2018 8:59pm
Honestly after hearing all you guys have to say, I might seriously get them both
ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/18/2018 5:17pm
Spooner wrote:
The all new tech 10 will be available soon and are more comfortable than the previous version. There is a little more room in the toe...
The all new tech 10 will be available soon and are more comfortable than the previous version. There is a little more room in the toe box and they are ~1.5 lbs lighter per pair than the old version. Your foot sits even lower in these and the entire boot is skimmed down. It seems more like a tech 7 feel with tech 10 support. Maybe ML can chime in more as I know he’s ridden in them. I haven’t gotten my personal pair yet.
The new Tech 10 is more comfortable and lighter for sure. The break-in period was quite long though, I didn't find them to hit their happy point for me until I had around 5-6 hours in them. Support of the ankle area is high but the new bootie traps a bit of heat as well. Overall, it's an improvement over the prior model and I think anyone who likes Tech 10s will be happier with the new version.

Sizing is spot on for me. I wore a size 8 in the old one and size 8 in the new one. I wear a 8 1/2 shoe.

Fox Instinct - This is the boot I wear the most often and for me is the most comfortable. For ankle support, it ranks in lower than most and I tend to wear the toe box out before any other part of the boot. But, I've destroyed the toe bones in your feet on both sides, so I'm very sensitive to the toe box becoming soft. The footbed offers the most connected feel for me of any boot and I feel like I can control the bike best with this boot. I tend to wear out a pair of Instincts faster than a Tech 10, SG-12 or Sidi though when it comes to the structure of the boot.

The sizing for me still isn't perfect here. When they first came out, I was in 9s as the 8s were way too tight. I'm lucky enough to have gotten custom 8 1/2s for a few years. The newest production batch is better but I'm still between sizes. The 9s are good for my toes and bad for my ankles. 8s are good for my ankle and bad for my toes.

Gaerne SG-12 - Comfortable, sort of a long break in period but great support. My biggest issue with them is the footbed feel, I can't feel much in these soles and have poor connection to the bike. The steel toe drives me nuts, I take them off and grind that area of the sole flush with the boot.

Size 8 fits on point.

Sidi crossfire - Decent break-in, great ventilation, but I go through soles quicker on these than any others, thank goodness for the replaceable soles. I don't wear them often as the 8 1/2s are too tight on the sides of my feet and causes blisters.

8 1/2s a bit too tight and 10s are huge.
loftyair
9/18/2018 5:29pm
loftyair wrote:
EHink450 wrote:
Well I can't ride with them both before making my choice
True. But, it will most likely answer your question.
EHink450
9/18/2018 9:28pm
Which are easier to shift in? Or are they about the same?

Post a reply to: Tech 10s vs Instincts

The Latest