Tear off ban in Australia

RickA
12/12/2016 2:24pm Edited Date/Time 12/12/2016 2:43pm
RickA wrote:
I've raced Millville for 20 years, average 12 races a year and 600 riders. Sadly now, there is no wild left because of tear offs. The...
I've raced Millville for 20 years, average 12 races a year and 600 riders. Sadly now, there is no wild left because of tear offs. The grass is brown, birds are dead, and the deer have genetic mutations. THIS is what some people would have you believe..

I've walked around tracks, in reality the dozer works the tears offs into the ground just like a landfill and it's not a problem. There isn't plastic blowing around like Mad Max post nuclear war. The world goes on and Mother Earth is just fine with it. Here in the U.S. congress will probably now waste a billion dollars to find out it has no impact. I'm all for a clean environment, but this was never on my radar. I feel that motocross racers are very responsible. When we made a track here at home, we were the ones cleaning up beer cans and plastic bottles that kids throw around.
My guess is that track workers pick up 90% of the tears offs that blow off the track after a weekend race.

ctbale wrote:
I am gunna have to back Amatuzio up, I first raced Millville back in 76' (Was called Zumbro then, have always hated the Millville name) We...
I am gunna have to back Amatuzio up, I first raced Millville back in 76' (Was called Zumbro then, have always hated the Millville name) We used tear offs back then, much thicker then todays tear offs, cows had a rough time getting them down with out a glass of milk.

I bet some of my 40 year old tear offs are still in the track, I think one of mine I negligently left behind after getting roosted on by Tommy Benolkin made Chad go sideways over the chad-a pault, makes me sad.
Lol, do Croc's eat plastic?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/12/2016 2:39pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Damn I am glad I dont live in Australia,France, Belgium or New Zealand or any of those country's that must be damn near communist now if...
Damn I am glad I dont live in Australia,France, Belgium or New Zealand or any of those country's that must be damn near communist now if they go so far as suppress the lowly motocross riders and tracks.
haydos25 wrote:
If the biggest problem you can find with a country is its stance on plastic tear offs then I think that country is doing something right.
The biggest problem I have with Australia isnt the tear off ban, its all the poisonous snakes and don't even get me started on crocodiles.
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
12/12/2016 2:43pm
lostboy819 wrote:
The biggest problem I have with Australia isnt the tear off ban, its all the poisonous snakes and don't even get me started on crocodiles.
Snakes and crocodiles are placid enough. Had a 6ft black snake in the backyard yesterday enjoying the sun. Drop bears however, those are what you need to look out for.
12/12/2016 2:49pm Edited Date/Time 12/12/2016 2:55pm
RickA wrote:
Great point, and that's where it starts. It always does.. Liberals don't know when to stop. It will move on to the next thing.. Exactly why...
Great point, and that's where it starts. It always does.. Liberals don't know when to stop. It will move on to the next thing.. Exactly why the AMA exists, to stop ridiculous legislation.

Do you remember the lead ban is the U.S. that was repealed? Apparently the government thought kids were chewing on engine cases, which in my eyes means you me kid has a bigger issue than just lead in his diet. So motorcycles couldn't be sold, or outboard motors, or ATVs.. Not even clutch levers

I've spent my whole life watching things get taken away. It comes down to "what next?" Lately it's been 2 lane streets where I live. Replaced with a single lane and dumb ass 12 foot wide BIKE LANE that nobody uses, as we have a foot of snow on the ground 6 months out of the year. I just tear my hair out. Sorry for being persistent on this, it's good in theory but won't end well as they assault on the next thing to change, like maybe using non-gender specific bathrooms. Oh brother I need to stay off here LOL
This wasn't legislated. It's a race rule by Motorcycling Australia, their equivalent of the AMA.

The Shop

lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/12/2016 2:49pm
No thank you , I saw the movie Crocodile Dundee and that place is scary DANGEROUS!
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
12/12/2016 3:15pm
lostboy819 wrote:
haydos25 wrote:
Snakes and crocodiles are placid enough. Had a 6ft black snake in the backyard yesterday enjoying the sun. Drop bears however, those are what you need...
Snakes and crocodiles are placid enough. Had a 6ft black snake in the backyard yesterday enjoying the sun. Drop bears however, those are what you need to look out for.
those drop bears are cunts for sure, glad those are not around here, (and snakes and crocs can stay there as well)

and there is enough people moving down this end of the world already, so glad you are happy at home
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/12/2016 3:46pm Edited Date/Time 12/12/2016 7:18pm
We just have Jackalopes here.Those drop bears are scary

motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
12/12/2016 5:31pm
A 3L Diesel toyota "pickup" (Or Hilux ute in kiwi / Aussie langauage)
Tonynz
12/12/2016 5:38pm
lostboy819 wrote:
haydos25 wrote:
Snakes and crocodiles are placid enough. Had a 6ft black snake in the backyard yesterday enjoying the sun. Drop bears however, those are what you need...
scott_nz wrote:
those drop bears are cunts for sure, glad those are not around here, (and snakes and crocs can stay there as well) and there is enough...
those drop bears are cunts for sure, glad those are not around here, (and snakes and crocs can stay there as well)

and there is enough people moving down this end of the world already, so glad you are happy at home
Bloody Magpies are bad enough.
jemcee
12/12/2016 6:00pm
Tonynz wrote:
Bloody Magpies are bad enough.
Not to mention the Plovers haha
Underdog999
12/12/2016 6:26pm
I think the ban is not only for the fact that the tear offs litter the tracks and possibly surroundings after a race, but they don't decompose in a landfill. If we just don't make them any longer, we don't have to worry about them hanging around for a zillion years. Lets just get rid of them.
RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
12/12/2016 6:54pm
I think California has figured out, that they would rather tax something than ban it. They'll say it's bad for the environment and start adding a .10 cent fee to each one.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/12/2016 7:19pm
RonSkj wrote:
I think California has figured out, that they would rather tax something than ban it. They'll say it's bad for the environment and start adding a...
I think California has figured out, that they would rather tax something than ban it. They'll say it's bad for the environment and start adding a .10 cent fee to each one.
BobPA
12/12/2016 7:30pm
kaptkaos wrote:
All I am saying is that its not right to pull a tear off and be done with it. It has to be accounted for somehow...
All I am saying is that its not right to pull a tear off and be done with it. It has to be accounted for somehow. The tear offs will blow off the track into the environment where it doesnt belong and having it plowed into the track by a dozer isnt any better. They need to be picked up and disposed of or recycled properly. Yes they can be recycled dirty.

Who pays for it and who does it plays a major part of this and its eveident that it hasnt been getting done.

Most tracks barely get by as it is, so this isnt as easy as saying they have to do it unless you are willing to A. Help or B. Pay a small fee.
Oh boy, you must be a vegan.
kaptkaos
12/12/2016 7:35pm
Ha that was funny but very wrong. I love a big steak as much as the next guy. I really dont care about the cow that got sick, I just think its foolish and careless to toss ANYTHING on the ground and not pick it up or know its going to picked up.

You take it for granted that we have relatively clean streets here in the US, I challenge you to go visit less developed countries/cities and take a walk. The amount of garbage is astounding and its all do to ignorance and carelessness.
Jrewing
12/13/2016 1:44am
lostboy819 wrote:
Damn I am glad I dont live in Australia,France, Belgium or New Zealand or any of those country's that must be damn near communist now if...
Damn I am glad I dont live in Australia,France, Belgium or New Zealand or any of those country's that must be damn near communist now if they go so far as suppress the lowly motocross riders and tracks.
They took out guns!!! Now our tear-offs... Next we will be wearing fluoro vests while riding and steel cap boots
ando
12/13/2016 1:57am
lostboy819 wrote:
Jrewing wrote:
They took out guns!!! Now our tear-offs... Next we will be wearing fluoro vests while riding and steel cap boots
Last I checked you can still buy guns of various types.
ando
12/13/2016 1:58am
kaptkaos wrote:
Ha that was funny but very wrong. I love a big steak as much as the next guy. I really dont care about the cow that...
Ha that was funny but very wrong. I love a big steak as much as the next guy. I really dont care about the cow that got sick, I just think its foolish and careless to toss ANYTHING on the ground and not pick it up or know its going to picked up.

You take it for granted that we have relatively clean streets here in the US, I challenge you to go visit less developed countries/cities and take a walk. The amount of garbage is astounding and its all do to ignorance and carelessness.
Agreed.
12/13/2016 2:11am
What about all of the frigging water bottles grubby pricks leave lying around because its just not cool to clean up after your self /
Ride124
12/13/2016 2:15am
The blatant disregard for our environment shown by some is downright frightening. I did get a chuckle out of the guy who tried to tie this issue into his climate change denial though.
tobz
12/13/2016 2:21am
Say, a local race gets 80-100 racers at a meet. And they compete in practice, and 3 races for the day. On average, a racer might pull 5 tear off's any time they've competed on the track. Guestimation here but I know I accidentally bloody pull all 18 of the bastards at once. So.

80 racers X 4 rides, tearing 5 tear off's is 1600 tear off's, per race meet. 5 meetings per season, that's 8000!

That's a shitload of non-biodegradeable shit floating around, regardless if your a vegan or not.

Why can't the manufacturers make them biodegradable? That'd be a helluva lot easier (albeit more expensive)
RickA
12/13/2016 4:32am Edited Date/Time 12/13/2016 4:38am
Ride124 wrote:
The blatant disregard for our environment shown by some is downright frightening. I did get a chuckle out of the guy who tried to tie this...
The blatant disregard for our environment shown by some is downright frightening. I did get a chuckle out of the guy who tried to tie this issue into his climate change denial though.
How possibly can we allow "dirt"
Bikes tear up Mother Earth? Torn up grass, deep mud ruts, massive erosion, CO2 polluting engines, obnoxious noise disrupting the animals safe space.. Plastic tear offs.. The list goes on. You know what, I'm on board now protecting the environment suddenly.

I hope the climate stops changing, it's should be 59.1 degrees forever, slightly Cloudy with a light Easterly breeze. Who the hell knows where that Ice Age, or extremely hot Holocene era came from. Our 1000 years on Earth far outweighs the other 4.5 billion years of Climate, what the hell was this planet Doing changing anyway? We do that know "plastic" comes from CO2 producing Fossil fuels (crude) right?
If we are TRULY concerned about the environment, stop making motorcycles. Stop building houses. Stop driving cars, stop making asphalt streets, stop making plastic, stop making light bulbs, stop making lawn mowers, and stop driving ambulances, stop making hospitals, no more computers or IPhones. Enough of pretending to worry about the environment, time to get real, put your balls on the handlebars and protect it if it's REALLY about disregard for the environment. God bless

(By the way, I'm glad your entertained with my cynicism. I try to lay it on a little thick to prove my point)
RickA
12/13/2016 4:42am Edited Date/Time 12/13/2016 4:42am
tobz wrote:
Say, a local race gets 80-100 racers at a meet. And they compete in practice, and 3 races for the day. On average, a racer might...
Say, a local race gets 80-100 racers at a meet. And they compete in practice, and 3 races for the day. On average, a racer might pull 5 tear off's any time they've competed on the track. Guestimation here but I know I accidentally bloody pull all 18 of the bastards at once. So.

80 racers X 4 rides, tearing 5 tear off's is 1600 tear off's, per race meet. 5 meetings per season, that's 8000!

That's a shitload of non-biodegradeable shit floating around, regardless if your a vegan or not.

Why can't the manufacturers make them biodegradable? That'd be a helluva lot easier (albeit more expensive)
Perhaps your missed the Millville post. Some dudes tear off from 1974 caused Chad Reed to crash. Those things are piled up 25 feet deep after 40 years of racing. I saw a mutated deer because of this, he had a fly penis and Elk horns.
tobz
12/13/2016 4:51am
That's very clever perspective from you.
tobz
12/13/2016 5:25am Edited Date/Time 12/13/2016 6:05am
Like I said, very clever. Huh

Oh, and I was referring to Rick.
JAFO92
12/13/2016 5:25am
You forgot the old tire bonfire we have going down in the back pasture, with 5 or 6 old broken styrofoam ice chests thrown in to make the fire burn different colors.

Now if you will excuse me, I changed oil in all the tractors this fall and have about 35 gallons of used diesel engine oil Im gonna pour up and down our gravel road to keep the dust down.

Evil
RickA
12/13/2016 6:22am
JAFO92 wrote:
You forgot the old tire bonfire we have going down in the back pasture, with 5 or 6 old broken styrofoam ice chests thrown in to...
You forgot the old tire bonfire we have going down in the back pasture, with 5 or 6 old broken styrofoam ice chests thrown in to make the fire burn different colors.

Now if you will excuse me, I changed oil in all the tractors this fall and have about 35 gallons of used diesel engine oil Im gonna pour up and down our gravel road to keep the dust down.

Evil
LMFAO
RickA
12/13/2016 7:51am
I think the ban is not only for the fact that the tear offs litter the tracks and possibly surroundings after a race, but they don't...
I think the ban is not only for the fact that the tear offs litter the tracks and possibly surroundings after a race, but they don't decompose in a landfill. If we just don't make them any longer, we don't have to worry about them hanging around for a zillion years. Lets just get rid of them.
Your saying get rid of plastic all together, you realize that right? Plastic fenders, garbage bags, cellphones.. The entire planet of plastic which goes to a landfill. Ouch

Post a reply to: Tear off ban in Australia

The Latest