Tear-off Retainers?

Kelz87
Fantasy
1372nd
Edited Date/Time 4/12/2021 2:40pm

I came across these images earlier today of Nicholas Lapucci. I’ve never seen this kind of system before that retains all the used layers

I can’t imagine having those tear-offs flapping on the side of my helmet, but it’s an interesting concept to keep debris off the track
|
4/11/2021 10:01pm
I think that is a way to overcome the rule in Europe that you can’t use tear offs because of the environmental impact of discarded tear offs. I seem to remember them mention that they were going to have to use rolloffs rather than tear offs. I would use rolloffs too rather than having old tear offs flapping around.
Kelz87
Fantasy
1372nd
4/11/2021 10:09pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2021 10:11pm
Bnagazina wrote:
I think that is a way to overcome the rule in Europe that you can’t use tear offs because of the environmental impact of discarded tear...
I think that is a way to overcome the rule in Europe that you can’t use tear offs because of the environmental impact of discarded tear offs. I seem to remember them mention that they were going to have to use rolloffs rather than tear offs. I would use rolloffs too rather than having old tear offs flapping around.
I seem to remember something about that as well. I agree with you about using the roll-offs though - maybe the goggle manufacturer doesn’t offer a system? I don’t recognize the brand he’s wearing from the pics

(Edit: looks like ProGrip? They offer roll-offs though)
StevenMX
4/11/2021 10:24pm
Kelz87 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/04/11/487335/s1200_72381FC3_5180_44FF_81F5_97009C5132B2.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/04/11/487336/s1200_A64F33BD_50A1_4B23_A8D1_FA72F95F15E1.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/04/11/487337/s1200_202CCD6A_6B69_4117_A1C8_3E853102229A.jpg[/img] I came across these images earlier today of Nicholas Lapucci. I’ve never seen this kind of system before that retains all the used...

I came across these images earlier today of Nicholas Lapucci. I’ve never seen this kind of system before that retains all the used layers

I can’t imagine having those tear-offs flapping on the side of my helmet, but it’s an interesting concept to keep debris off the track
Side note... what track and vertical hill is that in first pic O.O!! Looks straight up!
Ryan625
4/11/2021 10:51pm
That would drive me nuts flapping against the side of my helmet

The Shop

Motofinne
4/11/2021 11:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2021 11:58pm
Bnagazina wrote:
I think that is a way to overcome the rule in Europe that you can’t use tear offs because of the environmental impact of discarded tear...
Kelz87 wrote:
I seem to remember something about that as well. I agree with you about using the roll-offs though - maybe the goggle manufacturer doesn’t offer a...
I seem to remember something about that as well. I agree with you about using the roll-offs though - maybe the goggle manufacturer doesn’t offer a system? I don’t recognize the brand he’s wearing from the pics

I think ProGrip is the company that makes the retaining system too, lots of riders use it at the moment even though they run different goggles. I would go insane having to deal with the sound of those tear offs. But i guess some would take that rather than the limiting view of a roll-off system.

But i think it's great that a company has developed a solution like this. Think about how insane it is that we keep throwing bits of non biodegradable plastic in the environment like we do at the moment. Although tear-offs are banned at more and more places, so there will be a time when either there is a full ban at most tracks/trails or a biodegradable tear-off.
4/12/2021 12:47am
Bnagazina wrote:
Kelz87 wrote:
I seem to remember something about that as well. I agree with you about using the roll-offs though - maybe the goggle manufacturer doesn’t offer a...

Motofinne wrote:
I think ProGrip is the company that makes the retaining system too, lots of riders use it at the moment even though they run different goggles...
I think ProGrip is the company that makes the retaining system too, lots of riders use it at the moment even though they run different goggles. I would go insane having to deal with the sound of those tear offs. But i guess some would take that rather than the limiting view of a roll-off system.

But i think it's great that a company has developed a solution like this. Think about how insane it is that we keep throwing bits of non biodegradable plastic in the environment like we do at the moment. Although tear-offs are banned at more and more places, so there will be a time when either there is a full ban at most tracks/trails or a biodegradable tear-off.
There was a company in the uk making bio degradable tearoffs. Think they were called visor leaf of something. If you ran more than 3 it was like looking through the bottom of a beer bottle and the slightest of breeze would blow them straight off your goggles 😂😂😂
Motofinne
4/12/2021 12:52am
Kelz87 wrote:

Motofinne wrote:
I think ProGrip is the company that makes the retaining system too, lots of riders use it at the moment even though they run different goggles...

POWLEY256 wrote:
There was a company in the uk making bio degradable tearoffs. Think they were called visor leaf of something. If you ran more than 3 it...
There was a company in the uk making bio degradable tearoffs. Think they were called visor leaf of something. If you ran more than 3 it was like looking through the bottom of a beer bottle and the slightest of breeze would blow them straight off your goggles 😂😂😂
Haha that doesn't sound optimalLaughing
JA33
4/12/2021 1:26am
It's the new "Pro Grip green system" the tear offs they used are also bio biodegradable.

4/12/2021 1:39am
Motofinne wrote:
Haha that doesn't sound optimalLaughing
My bro didnt believe how bad they were so i gave him a stack and then watched him rip a holeshot whilst leaving a trail of tear offs behind him down the start straight. It was pretty amusing 😂😂
4/12/2021 2:39am
SX racers could start by not pulling 30 tearoffs after rolling off the track after the checkers. Its so stupid and i see so many of them doing it
tobz
4/12/2021 3:14am Edited Date/Time 4/12/2021 3:15am
Surprised it hasn’t been more common. Haven’t dirt karts had these sort of systems for years now?
PressPassP
4/12/2021 3:34am
I remember hearing about this a while back too

Meanwhile from Science Daily

"Recent studies estimate that we use an astounding 129 billion face masks globally every month -- that is 3 million a minute. Most of them are disposable face masks made from plastic microfibers."☹
Meister
4/12/2021 3:55am
Yeah, no thanks..

When I have 1 get stuck, I feel like I look like a small child swatting a bumble bee trying to get it off my head.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
4/12/2021 7:56am
Thank GOD we aren't disposing of tear-offs anymore. Meanwhile:

Zycki11
4/12/2021 8:03am
Not a fan of the retaining system. I would think that as this becomes more prevalent in Europe and I’m sure America will follow at some point, goggle manufacturers will continue with roll off systems with a wider viewpoint.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
4/12/2021 8:13am
Yeahh... roll offs and retained tear offs are so much better for the environment. Because instead of discarding plastic on the track I am discarding it in a trash can/landfill or somewhere else on earth. Dry

Bottom line, once plastic is produced, there it is. It is going to exist for x-amount of time, not degrading, no matter where you put it. I get it, better in a landfill than littered randomly all over the the earth. At least it's "consolidated" in that way. But really, most end up getting picked up off the tracks and disposed anyway.
4/12/2021 8:48am
I had an entire stack of tear-offs come loose and flap around for 3 laps before I got so damn annoyed I had to rip the entire mess of plastic off my goggles. No gracias.

Roll offs.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
4/12/2021 9:15am
Put designated tear off pull spots around the track. Build some big jumps over a pit of hot lava or sulphuric acid so the riders through them into the pit when they jump. Your welcome, turtles.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
4/12/2021 9:53am
I don't think I could ride with a Christmas Tree of discarded tearoffs hanging off my goggles. It's annoying when one gets hung up on my goggle post or stuck to my thumb. Imagine all those!

PS - I'm with StevenMX about that hill in the background. It looks steeper than Glen Helen, for sure!
karlsmith808
4/12/2021 10:40am
That's pretty cool but, I'd rather run tear-offs only because I wouldn't be able to stand the noise of it flapping against my helmet.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
4/12/2021 10:57am
Falcon wrote:
I don't think I could ride with a Christmas Tree of discarded tearoffs hanging off my goggles. It's annoying when one gets hung up on my...
I don't think I could ride with a Christmas Tree of discarded tearoffs hanging off my goggles. It's annoying when one gets hung up on my goggle post or stuck to my thumb. Imagine all those!

PS - I'm with StevenMX about that hill in the background. It looks steeper than Glen Helen, for sure!
If not for some strategically placed bales Webb would have rolled down the whole thing:

Spooner
4/12/2021 2:39pm
With how good the roll off's have gotten I just don't see the point.
mxbrian15
4/12/2021 7:04pm
I can see that getting ripped off very easily racing through the woods.
SEEMEFIRST
4/12/2021 8:01pm
mxbrian15 wrote:
I can see that getting ripped off very easily racing through the woods.
Copied that. Roll offs are bad enough.
That would likely rip a goggle off.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
4/12/2021 8:14pm
GrapeApe wrote:
If not for some strategically placed bales Webb would have rolled down the whole thing: [embed][/embed]
If not for some strategically placed bales Webb would have rolled down the whole thing:

Damn glad the Blue Pig didn't kill him that day or he'd have missed out on 1-2 SX championships! Grinning

Post a reply to: Tear-off Retainers?

The Latest