Tear Off Production

2020mxg
Edited Date/Time 10/28/2020 1:26pm
Hey guys!
I am currently building a goggle brand and looking to produce my tear offs in-house. Wondering if anyone has any experience in doing so or has any knowledge on it? I was thinking some sort or stamp or vinyl cutter? Picture is from a vinyl cutter I was experimenting with. I have also heard there is a patent on laminated tear offs? Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, Matt Karwat. 20/20 Mx Goggles

|
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
10/27/2020 2:25pm
Are the lenses going to be magnetic/removable?
2020mxg
10/27/2020 4:36pm
skeef wrote:
Are the lenses going to be magnetic/removable?
Yes they are
Spooner
10/27/2020 5:04pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2020 5:05pm
Isn't there basically one company that makes them for everyone? I'll do some digging.

Edit-yeah I think Racing Optics makes the laminates for everyone. I want to say they are the one with the patent but I could be totally wrong.

The Shop

2020mxg
10/27/2020 5:07pm
Yes you are correct about that.
Highflier
10/27/2020 5:10pm
Hey Matt, good luck in your venture, hope you are very successful.

Can't help you with tear offs, but I can help you with a suggestion on patent pitfalls..
Hire at least two patent attorneys to research anything you are doing or plan to do.
Pay the $1000 -$1200 to each and take notes when you are discussing their findings.
Then, find another, highly regarded patent attorney (does not have to be in your town)that cost twice as much per hour and take all your information to them and present your interest and prior information.
Gladly pay the $2500+ they will charge to do a full review.

This will prevent you from massive amounts of work and money spent to only find out that you've been working on something that is patented.
Many times very common product are patented but are being manufactured via a licensing agreement.
Don't assume there not a patent because many companies are doing the same thing.

There are many patent attorneys that suck, and if you don't check their work, you can lose thousands and thousands of dollars to their incompetence.

Ask me how I know.

Good luck!!
kb228
10/27/2020 5:12pm
Theres different ways you can do it. You can start with a sheet of the plastic lens material and stamp your lenses in a die(cookie cutter). You can start with a sheet and do laser cutting. Laminate is done in a mold - im not a plastic mold guy couldnt tell you the exact process. id assume its injection molded.

After molding you need to have a way to remove flash. Maybe a deburring fixture.

Id suggest consulting with companies you can outsource your work to. Theyre experts.
Beeby
10/27/2020 6:07pm
Funny to think there is so much involved in something we buy fairly cheap and throw into a field.
Anton_514
10/27/2020 7:06pm

Racing Optics is the company that has the patent to the laminate process, they do everything from MX and auto racing tearoffs to military-grade window coverings. They're based in Las Vegas, right next to the air force base and motor speedway. It's a legit and impressive operation.

https://www.racingoptics.com/
10/27/2020 7:29pm
Are tear offs still allowed, I though they were going to be phased out, a lot of countries have already banned them.
Rickyisms
10/27/2020 7:58pm
Are tear offs still allowed, I though they were going to be phased out, a lot of countries have already banned them.
Still good to go where I am.
chump6784
10/27/2020 10:51pm
They tried to ban them in Australia and then the first few rounds of the mx nationals were a complete mud fest and guys were chucking their roll off equipped goggles throughout the moto as the film was getting pulled out by the roost. Didn't take long for motorcycling australia to change their stance and as long as the track had a tear off disposal protocol then tear offs were good to go. Still some places they can't be used though
10/28/2020 12:00am
Here in the Netherlands they have been banned since 2010. They can only be used at gp races.

I hope you are going to have a succesful business.
martymac
10/28/2020 12:42am
Only banned in certain disciplines.
tobz
10/28/2020 1:34am
Invent a roll off google that works like a roller shutter that rolls full vision as it rolls upward. Full vision per pull and you can sell where tear offs are banned, like Australia: Your welcome.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
10/28/2020 8:12am
kb228 wrote:
Theres different ways you can do it. You can start with a sheet of the plastic lens material and stamp your lenses in a die(cookie cutter)...
Theres different ways you can do it. You can start with a sheet of the plastic lens material and stamp your lenses in a die(cookie cutter). You can start with a sheet and do laser cutting. Laminate is done in a mold - im not a plastic mold guy couldnt tell you the exact process. id assume its injection molded.

After molding you need to have a way to remove flash. Maybe a deburring fixture.

Id suggest consulting with companies you can outsource your work to. Theyre experts.
We make disposable PPE eyewear, film is much thicker than a tear off but use a rotary die to cut out of of roll of film. Much faster than a die "cookie" cutter. I would think with how thin tear offs are, you could get multiple unwinds to hold rolls of tear off film and run the qty you want in a stack (say 10) thru the die cutter. The film width is going to be wide enough that you can cut 6-8 tear offs across. The only problem is the "tail" of the tear off is going to cause a lot of trim waste, so would need to look at "nesting" the cut outs into each other to minimize waste.
mtl
10/28/2020 8:15am
kb228 wrote:
Theres different ways you can do it. You can start with a sheet of the plastic lens material and stamp your lenses in a die(cookie cutter)...

yak651 wrote:
We make disposable PPE eyewear, film is much thicker than a tear off but use a rotary die to cut out of of roll of film...
We make disposable PPE eyewear, film is much thicker than a tear off but use a rotary die to cut out of of roll of film. Much faster than a die "cookie" cutter. I would think with how thin tear offs are, you could get multiple unwinds to hold rolls of tear off film and run the qty you want in a stack (say 10) thru the die cutter. The film width is going to be wide enough that you can cut 6-8 tear offs across. The only problem is the "tail" of the tear off is going to cause a lot of trim waste, so would need to look at "nesting" the cut outs into each other to minimize waste.
This guy knows!

Think paper mill, not stamp =)
Markopolo400
10/28/2020 1:26pm
Highflier wrote:
Hey Matt, good luck in your venture, hope you are very successful. Can't help you with tear offs, but I can help you with a suggestion...
Hey Matt, good luck in your venture, hope you are very successful.

Can't help you with tear offs, but I can help you with a suggestion on patent pitfalls..
Hire at least two patent attorneys to research anything you are doing or plan to do.
Pay the $1000 -$1200 to each and take notes when you are discussing their findings.
Then, find another, highly regarded patent attorney (does not have to be in your town)that cost twice as much per hour and take all your information to them and present your interest and prior information.
Gladly pay the $2500+ they will charge to do a full review.

This will prevent you from massive amounts of work and money spent to only find out that you've been working on something that is patented.
Many times very common product are patented but are being manufactured via a licensing agreement.
Don't assume there not a patent because many companies are doing the same thing.

There are many patent attorneys that suck, and if you don't check their work, you can lose thousands and thousands of dollars to their incompetence.

Ask me how I know.

Good luck!!
How do you know? Smile

Post a reply to: Tear Off Production

The Latest