Team USA and MXDN

Edited Date/Time 1/5/2022 10:21am
Watching revelation 199, and it made me think. What does team USA have to do to win MXDN again? The seasons have been the same for the US guys for a long time, SX/MX. Does 17 main events vs 24 motors really hinder the US guys performance vs the euros when it comes to MXDN or is it something bigger than that?

Also do they have to have GP specs for their bikes? I know the setups differ a bit.
|
Johnny Ringo
1/1/2022 4:31pm
We need better riders, better conditions (no mud) and better luck
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
1/1/2022 4:31pm
A better amateur program to start. 15 year old kids that can finish inside the top 15 at a pro national shouldn’t be racing local B class kids. Start a legit “pre pro” series instead of them doing a couple “amateur nationals” per year. The MXGP series has classes that better prep kids for the MX2 class.
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
1/1/2022 4:36pm
No mud first and foremost and A guys to go. The last dry races we had it’s not like USA were blown out.
Johnny Ringo
1/1/2022 4:40pm
Park Boys wrote:
No mud first and foremost and A guys to go. The last dry races we had it’s not like USA were blown out.
Yep. When you look at 12-16, a lot of them came down to shitty luck.

The teams/riders haven’t all of a sudden cared more about SX since 2016

The Shop

1/1/2022 4:45pm
We definitely need a bit of luck. I think all the guys we send are capable of putting together solid motos. Just not on that day 😂
Johnny Ringo
1/1/2022 4:45pm
Watching revelation 199, and it made me think. What does team USA have to do to win MXDN again? The seasons have been the same for...
Watching revelation 199, and it made me think. What does team USA have to do to win MXDN again? The seasons have been the same for the US guys for a long time, SX/MX. Does 17 main events vs 24 motors really hinder the US guys performance vs the euros when it comes to MXDN or is it something bigger than that?

Also do they have to have GP specs for their bikes? I know the setups differ a bit.
Also, dude, how good is Revelation 199?
hubbardmx50
1/1/2022 5:15pm
More enthusiasm towards the event and no rain. Heat couldn’t hurt either
jemcee
1/1/2022 5:45pm
Maybe the US riders need to get better in the mud unless you (US guys) only want to win when the conditions are perfectly suited to you..

I think you need to stop the excuses and start/go back to having pride in representing your country in the greatest MX event of the year no matter what the result ends up being.. Enjoy and embrace the experience of the event! The Team Fried approach for example.. Once the amount of pressure eases the more the top riders and teams will want to be involved and you'll be back to the annoying country that just always seemed to win haha

Team USA don't need to do much they'll always be a threat
Hi Side
1/1/2022 5:48pm
jemcee hit the nail on the head. Our top riders, unfortunately, don't seem to have pride in the event and/or representing their country in this event. In my opinion, it's shameful.
250 cross
1/1/2022 5:54pm
We need our young rider to pass thru at least a year of 125 TWO strokes to expand their skills!
RG1
1/2/2022 2:18am Edited Date/Time 1/2/2022 2:19am
I don’t think there is anything that Team USA needs to do differently in terms of wholesale changes to win this event. The first thing they need to do is send their 3 best guys. History suggests that if you do that consistently you will win eventually. Fortune plays a big part in this event, there were some years that Team USA won when they maybe didn’t deserve to and luck went in their favour, and in the past 10 years or so there’s been occasions it has gone the other way. It’s just the way things go in a one off, one day event, I don’t think it’s any reason to rip things up and start again
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
1/2/2022 2:28am Edited Date/Time 1/2/2022 2:29am
Edit: Starts at "Fro The Patriot".
cwel11
1/2/2022 3:05am
jemcee wrote:
Maybe the US riders need to get better in the mud unless you (US guys) only want to win when the conditions are perfectly suited to...
Maybe the US riders need to get better in the mud unless you (US guys) only want to win when the conditions are perfectly suited to you..

I think you need to stop the excuses and start/go back to having pride in representing your country in the greatest MX event of the year no matter what the result ends up being.. Enjoy and embrace the experience of the event! The Team Fried approach for example.. Once the amount of pressure eases the more the top riders and teams will want to be involved and you'll be back to the annoying country that just always seemed to win haha

Excellent post. Reading down the comments the words mud and luck were everywhere. Until jemcee finally stated the truth. Listen to Mitch Payton’s whiskey throttle show where he discussed MXDN and how our guys don’t even pit together or act like a team. That mixed with what RV said about the state of our up and comers being soft is a horrible combination to try and win in the future. Also, I’d rather root for a deserving “team” of B riders proud to represent their country than three divas that don’t really care get the nod.
1/2/2022 4:32am Edited Date/Time 1/2/2022 4:32am
RG1 wrote:
I don’t think there is anything that Team USA needs to do differently in terms of wholesale changes to win this event. The first thing they...
I don’t think there is anything that Team USA needs to do differently in terms of wholesale changes to win this event. The first thing they need to do is send their 3 best guys. History suggests that if you do that consistently you will win eventually. Fortune plays a big part in this event, there were some years that Team USA won when they maybe didn’t deserve to and luck went in their favour, and in the past 10 years or so there’s been occasions it has gone the other way. It’s just the way things go in a one off, one day event, I don’t think it’s any reason to rip things up and start again
How do you win and not deserve to win?
motomike137
1/2/2022 5:42am
RG1 wrote:
I don’t think there is anything that Team USA needs to do differently in terms of wholesale changes to win this event. The first thing they...
I agree completely. We missed winning in Italy a few years back by a late race Cooper Webb miscue if I'm not mistaken. We could send let's say any combo of Tomac, Barcia, Webb, Sexton, Cooper and Martin and pull a win this fall at Red Bud.
MX114
1/2/2022 5:45am Edited Date/Time 1/2/2022 5:51am
Replace Roger Decoster as manager. Have a co managed USA team by Mitch Payton and Zach Osbourne. This gives you a well rounded management team of experience and racer perspective. It would refresh the team spirit and motivation it takes to be successful and attract our top riders
vet40
1/2/2022 5:47am
The obvious elephant in the room is the fact that team USA is made up of national riders, not international.

Staying national limits your experience to the variety of conditions mxon will inevitably bring.

Hearing Barcia blame the conditions, saying they made the track “euro” was so painful to hear.

It wasn’t red bud went euro, the race was held in fall & conditions were wetter then when the AMA national is held.

If team usa had riders that raced MXGP then I would pick team USA as favourites most years.

Team USA doesn’t lack speed, they lack experience & confidence outside prime conditions.
motomike137
1/2/2022 6:06am Edited Date/Time 1/2/2022 7:51am
vet40 wrote:
The obvious elephant in the room is the fact that team USA is made up of national riders, not international. Staying national limits your experience to...
The obvious elephant in the room is the fact that team USA is made up of national riders, not international.

Staying national limits your experience to the variety of conditions mxon will inevitably bring.

Hearing Barcia blame the conditions, saying they made the track “euro” was so painful to hear.

It wasn’t red bud went euro, the race was held in fall & conditions were wetter then when the AMA national is held.

If team usa had riders that raced MXGP then I would pick team USA as favourites most years.

Team USA doesn’t lack speed, they lack experience & confidence outside prime conditions.
I don't agree on the national vs international riders comment, we race in mud too. If you are saying we don't race on circuits that aren't worthy of top level professional racing I'll agree Wink Red Bud was waaaay beyond your average muddy race not to mention on Saturday our guys were plenty competitive. It started going sideways when Plessinger got hurt and then we made some tactical errors on Sunday regarding gate pics and our starts sucked. That team was plenty capable that weekend and just didn't get it done.

edit: and let me add that I can't believe anybody wants to see this trend of muddy ass MXoN's continue. I like a good mudder as much as the next guy but by god we are due for a dry race!
cmotodad
1/2/2022 6:10am
There were years, in the beginning of the wins, USA would run up front in many races.All 3 classes in each eace. Face the facts, the euro riders have gotten much faster. When their races were 40 minutes, the race strategy was conserve to a certain time. Now they go basically 100 percent from the start. Riding all season in one style, on very challenging tracks make anuone a better racer, no matter where you are from. We have very fast guys but so does ALL of Europe now.
Johnny Ringo
1/2/2022 7:20am Edited Date/Time 1/2/2022 7:21am
WCRider wrote:
SX priority.
So you’re telling me from 2005-2011 we didn’t care about supercross? Shit, in 2005 our guys were even riding two strokes for half the year.
motomike137
1/2/2022 7:50am
cmotodad wrote:
There were years, in the beginning of the wins, USA would run up front in many races.All 3 classes in each eace. Face the facts, the...
There were years, in the beginning of the wins, USA would run up front in many races.All 3 classes in each eace. Face the facts, the euro riders have gotten much faster. When their races were 40 minutes, the race strategy was conserve to a certain time. Now they go basically 100 percent from the start. Riding all season in one style, on very challenging tracks make anuone a better racer, no matter where you are from. We have very fast guys but so does ALL of Europe now.
I totally agree that the Euro's have really upped their game and our focus is more on SX but... our guys are still capable of grabbing a win. We just will never dominate this thing again. I see this fall as ripe for the picking by our riders as long as we have three healthy top of the line guys at the gate.
Fastbelly
1/2/2022 7:54am
If you sent your best riders and they wanted to go and represent the USA you might win. If you just send some fast guys that want to go you will not.
FWYT
1/2/2022 8:16am
jemcee wrote:
Maybe the US riders need to get better in the mud unless you (US guys) only want to win when the conditions are perfectly suited to...

Yep
gt80rider
1/2/2022 8:45am
If the mxgp guys start racing world sx... things are gonna even up real quick...
1/2/2022 8:52am Edited Date/Time 1/2/2022 8:53am
vet40 wrote:
The obvious elephant in the room is the fact that team USA is made up of national riders, not international. Staying national limits your experience to...

That's a crock of shit. In the 80s, 90s, and up until about 2011 our "national" riders were for the most part, faster than the GP racers. Maybe, it just comes down to the fact the GP racers are faster at the moment. If you go back to the 87 Des Nations -- a mud fest -- Team U.S.A. won even though the GP riders had more experience in the mud. It's because our riders were faster.

One day the pendulum will swing back. U.S.A. had a 30+ year run where they won the most, and some of you act like it's gone forever because we haven't won in the last 11 years.

By the way, when's the last time GBR won one? 1994.
TeamFlannel
1/2/2022 10:39am
Hi Side wrote:
jemcee hit the nail on the head. Our top riders, unfortunately, don't seem to have pride in the event and/or representing their country in this event...
jemcee hit the nail on the head. Our top riders, unfortunately, don't seem to have pride in the event and/or representing their country in this event. In my opinion, it's shameful.
Ditto.
FlaNard
1/2/2022 11:46am Edited Date/Time 1/2/2022 11:46am
I think the GP’s are in an elite era right now where you have multiple guys pushing each other hard for everything they get. That’s the biggest factor IMO. The talent is just crazy at the moment. I also think the GP guys are more comfortable being uncomfortable. They race all over the world and seem to handle the nerves and big stage better. Our guys act defeated before the races even start now even when the MXDN is on home soil. I think we will need an elite talent who can lead the team with confidence and who embraces the challenge. Like an RC or RV. Someone to boost the team mentally and put in (preferably) Moto wins.

Post a reply to: Team USA and MXDN

The Latest