Team USA: Where do we go from Here

JWACK
10/7/2018 4:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2018 4:28pm
I would love to see a USA based MXGP team.
Gotland Edon
10/7/2018 4:27pm
Well, at least we can say we are pit bike champions. So suck it Europe.
hillbilly
10/7/2018 4:28pm
By reading posts here today I conclude a lot are to stupid to realize a race can go a lot of ways.

I feel stupider by all the stupidity I've mucked thru.

Awesome race though,damn awsome
captmoto
haydos25 wrote:
Supercross has caused it. The top US based riders spend 7-8 months of the year either preparing for or racing supercross, then they part time for...
Supercross has caused it. The top US based riders spend 7-8 months of the year either preparing for or racing supercross, then they part time for a few months in summer outdoors. That's if they're still fit enough after Supercross.

I cant see that changing anytime soon so maybe this is just the new norm.

Guarantee one thing, if they hold a SXdN next week the results would be fairly different. France still podium though.
Or recovering from SX injuries.

The Shop

cbuehler767
10/7/2018 4:28pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2018 4:29pm
I was disappointed today but had a great time. Fans and atmosphere was great and dispute the weather the track held up. Everyone takes this so personal. I felt lucky to see Herlings AC and all the MXGP guys for the first time. Frankly they are amazing. I kept looking at my program like who's that guy who's this guy? I mean I heard the names before but seeing them in person every top 10-15 MXGP guys rip!
After watching that in person. Fuck supercross!!! This is the sport! I'm so sad I bleed red white and blue. Drove 10 hours to see our guys fold.
mxb2
10/7/2018 4:31pm
I think part of the reason the European riders are better outdoors is because we over-prep all of our tracks and try to make them all...
I think part of the reason the European riders are better outdoors is because we over-prep all of our tracks and try to make them all the same every weekend in the AMA Nationals. On the GP circuit they race on a much broader range of conditions and after years and years of racing, it is clearly having an impact.

When RV got his ass kicked on the GP circuit in 2015 many Americans made excuses at the time for the beat down. The fact of the matter was that the Euro's were just better on natural MX tracks and they have continued to improve. They are even better now.

When the highlight of the weekend for the United States is KDub leading a lap in the B main, we clearly have a LOT of work to do.
bsharkey wrote:
The guy wanted to retire. Bad example. I heard plenty of stories about the disconnect beteween the bikes, mechanics and him. It would have probably been...
The guy wanted to retire. Bad example. I heard plenty of stories about the disconnect beteween the bikes, mechanics and him. It would have probably been a different story if he had his mechanics from over here and is bikesmith over here
X2. 2015 RV was already retired in his head and over it. 2013 RV destroys everyone
X2. He was in 3rd in points when he crashed won a overall. Lol. Yea he got destroyed
Gotland Edon
10/7/2018 4:32pm
After watching that in person. Fuck supercross!!! This is the sport! I'm so sad I bleed red white and blue. Drove 10 hours to see our...
After watching that in person. Fuck supercross!!! This is the sport! I'm so sad I bleed red white and blue. Drove 10 hours to see our guys fold.
How's your drive back home been so far?
Nighttrain
10/7/2018 4:32pm
Less than a decade ago and the previous 20 years before that everyone stated SX was the reason Team USA were so dominant!

Well, SAM, what do you reason has caused the growing deficiencies in motocross for the American riders? If not the shift in priorities to SX around the time of McGrath’s SX only contract then what?
500guy
10/7/2018 4:50pm

Two Problems stick in my mind on the issue.

1, Single day Nationals #2 , 6 weeks after the season ended.

Tougher conditions today just magnified the problems of those two issues.

Also maybe it wouldn't hurt to give some other people in the Industry the opportunity to manage the Team

Roger isn't going to be around forever and there are other qualified people who might like the honor of doing it.
Crush
10/7/2018 5:02pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2018 5:04pm
I think part of the reason the European riders are better outdoors is because we over-prep all of our tracks and try to make them all...
I think part of the reason the European riders are better outdoors is because we over-prep all of our tracks and try to make them all the same every weekend in the AMA Nationals. On the GP circuit they race on a much broader range of conditions and after years and years of racing, it is clearly having an impact.

When RV got his ass kicked on the GP circuit in 2015 many Americans made excuses at the time for the beat down. The fact of the matter was that the Euro's were just better on natural MX tracks and they have continued to improve. They are even better now.

When the highlight of the weekend for the United States is KDub leading a lap in the B main, we clearly have a LOT of work to do.
Rv might have broke his ass but it wasn’t from getting it kicked. He was doing just fine, and returning from a major injury.

Biggest thing to me is tracks get rougher with all the racing over a GP weekend and the euros bikes look way more compliant.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/7/2018 5:04pm
Where do we go from here?

The Supercross tracks to ride the only types of tracks we know how to ride... oh and stay far away from any outdoor tracks because we obviously don’t belong on them.
motogrady
10/7/2018 5:06pm
Less than a decade ago and the previous 20 years before that everyone stated SX was the reason Team USA were so dominant!

Nighttrain wrote:
Well, SAM, what do you reason has caused the growing deficiencies in motocross for the American riders? If not the shift in priorities to SX around...
Well, SAM, what do you reason has caused the growing deficiencies in motocross for the American riders? If not the shift in priorities to SX around the time of McGrath’s SX only contract then what?
Well, back then the euros didn't have a lot of man made jumping going on. It's like it was taboo or something. Anything with big air we killed them.
Last few years they have changed up. I've notice
there's a lot more big jumpin goin on over there, and they've gotten used to what was once our speciality.

Also, and this goes back to the AMA sale of pro racing. Youth stream and a few others ridiculed our outdoor series relentlessly. The tracks looked like crap. No banners. Bush league pits. The list went on and on. So, I noticed it anyway, when mxsports took over they really went hog wild making everything more, ah, professional. And the track grooming got out of control. My opinion.

Third, the GP season is long. With the MXON tacked
on right after their final round. Those guys are in race shape, while we've been screwing around for a month.

Less prep track.
Add 3 rounds to the Nationals at the end.

That's what I think anyway.
MotoX85
10/7/2018 5:07pm
Get rid of stupid supercross and expand the outdoor series.

Maybe have a couple one off events in the fall like monster cup.

Supercross is killing our riders speed.
TXDirt
10/7/2018 5:08pm
500guy wrote:
Two Problems stick in my mind on the issue. 1, Single day Nationals #2 , 6 weeks after the season ended. Tougher conditions today just magnified...

Also maybe it wouldn't hurt to give some other people in the Industry the opportunity to manage the Team

Roger isn't going to be around forever and there are other qualified people who might like the honor of doing it.
Roger picked the best riders available. Would another Manger picked a different team that would have been better??? No.,

USA got worked over on home turf.

I can can come up with atleast five solid excuses,. But that's all they all. Excuses.

USA got worked. End of story.

Titan1
10/7/2018 5:09pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2018 5:13pm
I think for this generation of GP riders are just better than the American riders...but that will change.

The talent in MXGP is incredible right now...but MX2 is much weaker (with a few exceptions-but not enough exceptions to field 3 winning riders from any one country) while the talent the 250 nationals is much deeper than our 450 class...as this generation of riders (Cairoli to Herlings) starts to retire-and AC is the tip of that sword-you’ll see the MXDN wins come back to the Americans...because we do have the largest talent pool in the world, and what is happening right now is an anomaly, in that countries with such small populations have 3 winning riders.

And Americans caring so much about super cross isn’t helping the problem.

MX Sports needs to roughen up the tracks, and add a real sand track.

And how about our riders learn how to start?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/7/2018 5:10pm
500guy wrote:
Two Problems stick in my mind on the issue. 1, Single day Nationals #2 , 6 weeks after the season ended. Tougher conditions today just magnified...

TXDirt wrote:
Roger picked the best riders available. Would another Manger picked a different team that would have been better??? No., USA got worked over on home turf...
Roger picked the best riders available. Would another Manger picked a different team that would have been better??? No.,

I can can come up with atleast five solid excuses,. But that's all they all. Excuses.

They also need to put together.. don’t understand why our guys don’t put together under the same awning... not really much of a team, is it?
Mr. Info
10/7/2018 5:33pm
Roger might not want to come back for one. Red Budd a great track but weather was a major factor.
Next year I will bet money some of our top guys chosen will turn it down because they have the Monster Cup coming up and it’s overseas. Great, no really great crowd so we should be proud of that.
Sorry the better teams beat us today.
Excaliburbmx
10/7/2018 5:39pm
Assen... 2019... for redemption? USA USA USA! No?
Do you support one team or all of the world?

You keep giving the USA crap but which one country do you root for or do you root for all of them except the USA ?
500guy
10/7/2018 5:44pm
TXDirt wrote:
Roger picked the best riders available. Would another Manger picked a different team that would have been better??? No., USA got worked over on home turf...

I didn't say Roger was the problem just that it wouldn't hurt to try other people.

Also I gave my observation of possible contributing factors, not excuses.

I totally agree USA just flat got beat today.
ktmdan
10/7/2018 5:54pm
Can we throw about 100 dumptrucks of fine sand onto every national track next season in preperation for Assen? I think that's the least we could do. How about we have Daytona SX on Daytona beach.
motogrady
10/7/2018 6:01pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2018 6:02pm
ktmdan wrote:
Can we throw about 100 dumptrucks of fine sand onto every national track next season in preperation for Assen? I think that's the least we could...
Can we throw about 100 dumptrucks of fine sand onto every national track next season in preperation for Assen? I think that's the least we could do. How about we have Daytona SX on Daytona beach.
I don't know about 100 truckloads at every track,
but if Daytona was run on what's natural for that area, might not be a bad idea.
hillbilly
10/7/2018 6:01pm
When does mxgp season start?april?

If I am a American racer.and sx season is facing me in a couple months I'm not going to hurt myself at a race that don't pay my bills.

Sure,like to win,but that would be in my thinking.
Indy mxer
10/7/2018 6:02pm
MotoX85 wrote:
Get rid of stupid supercross and expand the outdoor series. Maybe have a couple one off events in the fall like monster cup. Supercross is killing...
Get rid of stupid supercross and expand the outdoor series.

Maybe have a couple one off events in the fall like monster cup.

Supercross is killing our riders speed.
I like watching the nationals. But let's stop the "get rid of Supercross" crap. Like it or not, it's not going away.

It's more popular than ever. And it's great tv for casual fans. The USA got worked today. Plain and simple.

jevyguy
10/7/2018 6:28pm
rutsmash wrote:
Next year will be the first time I will feel that I'm not watching the best in the world while watching the AMA outdoors.
Pretty sad considering up to this event everyone was saying “we (USA) are sending our best riders”
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2591st
10/7/2018 6:37pm
I can't be the only one who enjoys the supercross season more then the motocross...
I always get bored of the MX season..doesn't have the intensity of the supercross racing.

EB51
10/7/2018 6:39pm
I like watching AMERICAN motocross and I like watching AMERICAN supercross. I think what we have here with both disciplines is great for the fans and has grown the sport. If we lose the MXON every year because of it I personally don't care. We shouldn't sacrifice the way we do motocross and supercross here to be competitive in this one race. I see why no one wants to race it. Heck most of the general US population doesn't even know it happened. At least some of the regular US motocross and supercross races get decent TV coverage on mainstream TV channels. The bottom line is that no one outside of hardcore MX fans even care about this event or know it even took place. Supercross may not be everyone's cup of tea but it brings in the money and the fans. Dirtbike racing will continue to move in that direction, the rest of the world is just behind and doesn't realize it yet.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3887th
10/7/2018 6:44pm
Netherlands should win in Assen. Coldenhoff, Herlings, and Vlaanderen should be damn near impossible to beat on home soil.
tempura
10/7/2018 6:47pm
Unfortunately supercross is going nowhere (IMO) and will only expand.
Can’t expect the rest of the world to start riding Supercross just to fulfill the U.S. needs to win.
If U.S. really wants to be competitive (as in kicking ass again) in Motocross, they need to invest more in sending some young talent off to Europe to compete with them.
That would be the best way to get around the supercross dilemma. If that’s too much to comprehend, so be it, the inevitable “slipping behind” will continue.

Post a reply to: Team USA: Where do we go from Here

The Latest