Team USA: Where do we go from Here

Huevos
10/7/2018 10:33pm
This might sound like a stupid idea, but supercross always feels like such a dragged out series. I’d prefer shortening the indoor series to 12 races. Have it end at the end of March. Give the guys more 2 week breaks between outdoor rounds like the MXGP series so that they’re not so fried all year long and then schedule the end of the outdoor nationals to finish a week before the MXDN.

I feel like that would give these guys a much better work/life balance, more time to recover from injuries, and the ability to stay competitive and energized year round.

This 17 rounds of supercross, 12 rounds of outdoors, a month break before MXdN and MEC and then straight into sx testing for the next year is about the worst thing for our riders health, careers, and competitiveness.
NorCal 50+
Posting in here right now is like showing up to a Big Game party where everybody's favorite team lost, and they have all either left, passed out or gone home. GrinningGrinningGrinning That was the best race event I have ever seen, nationalistic tendencies aside.
The real problem is if Carlsbad and Saddleback were still open the message boards would light up with whining and bitching and no one would go. Somewhere along the way rough gnarly became bad and groomed out smooth with big jumps became good. Groom all the ruts out of the jump faces and fix every little thing between motos so we can hit the triple because that's what matters.
Huevos
10/7/2018 10:34pm
rutsmash wrote:
Next year will be the first time I will feel that I'm not watching the best in the world while watching the AMA outdoors.
Rs444 wrote:
You havnt watched the best in the world watching the outdoors since like 09 when desalle who wasnt the top dude in the gps went over...
You havnt watched the best in the world watching the outdoors since like 09 when desalle who wasnt the top dude in the gps went over and smoked everyone except for dungey who only got smoked 2/3 of the race on a borrowed bike.
You mean the same years when Dungey helped the US win MXdN and even won motos while doing it?

The Shop

roninho
10/7/2018 10:34pm
I wouldnt worry that much. This weekends results has given a worse perspective, imo the actual situation is better. Redo this weekend 10 times and 8 out of 10 you score better. And dont forget that Anderson was out.

I dont think SX is a direct reason. imo a bigger reason is guys like RV2 and RD retiring "early", which impacts directly and indirectly. You lose your best guys, and you lose the effect they have on other riders (forcing them to ride harder).
You see it in mxgp, the arrival of febvre, gajser and lately herlings forced everyone to pick up the pace or get dropped.
jmbayle
10/7/2018 10:47pm
So the month off riding didnt help team USA ?
I dont think racing Italy last weekend and then flying half way round the world right at the end of the season helped the euros either !
WCRider
Fantasy
2301st
10/7/2018 10:48pm
I may be crazy, dishonest but KTM has something more than other bikes.

Oh many Holeshot ? and in this conditions, KTM looked like a 250 2 strokes against 125 2 strokes.

WCRider
Fantasy
2301st
10/8/2018 12:18am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 12:25am
I can't be the only one who enjoys the supercross season more then the motocross... I always get bored of the MX season..doesn't have the intensity...
I can't be the only one who enjoys the supercross season more then the motocross...
I always get bored of the MX season..doesn't have the intensity of the supercross racing.

You're not alone. Now, I prefer SX. I was a fan of the 1990/2000's MXGP's but now it's a total KTM world, it's boring. In SX, the skill rider still has a slight advantage over the bike. In MXGP it is just the opposite.

A good rider can become excellent on a KTM in MXGP while a good rider can become excellent in SX on any brand. That's the difference.

JFerry
10/8/2018 12:26am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 12:27am
Watch the tracks the Euros ride during the week and watch the tracks the US guys ride during the week. Euros ride the Somme and the...
Watch the tracks the Euros ride during the week and watch the tracks the US guys ride during the week. Euros ride the Somme and the US ride the billiard table.
Training needs to change
Not fair. When I said before the weekend that american tracks are like freeeways, they said I was a troll. And now you only get thumbs up. Miserable karma.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3887th
10/8/2018 12:33am
Am I the only guy wondering why our riders have been so poor out of the gate the past few years? When is the last time we got out of the gate at this event with both riders inside the top 20? Maybe Ernee?
angel387mx
10/8/2018 1:19am
Huevos wrote:
This might sound like a stupid idea, but supercross always feels like such a dragged out series. I’d prefer shortening the indoor series to 12 races...
This might sound like a stupid idea, but supercross always feels like such a dragged out series. I’d prefer shortening the indoor series to 12 races. Have it end at the end of March. Give the guys more 2 week breaks between outdoor rounds like the MXGP series so that they’re not so fried all year long and then schedule the end of the outdoor nationals to finish a week before the MXDN.

I feel like that would give these guys a much better work/life balance, more time to recover from injuries, and the ability to stay competitive and energized year round.

This 17 rounds of supercross, 12 rounds of outdoors, a month break before MXdN and MEC and then straight into sx testing for the next year is about the worst thing for our riders health, careers, and competitiveness.
I totally agree.
10/8/2018 1:21am
WCRider wrote:
I may be crazy, dishonest but KTM has something more than other bikes. Oh many Holeshot ? and in this conditions, KTM looked like a 250...
I may be crazy, dishonest but KTM has something more than other bikes.

Oh many Holeshot ? and in this conditions, KTM looked like a 250 2 strokes against 125 2 strokes.

They also have the best riders.
10/8/2018 1:40am
How many of the people here ride sx?? We all ride mx right? Why do we want to see the best of the world race a different sport?? It al started with mx.. you say its about the money?? Bs!!!... the money comes from the fans it comes from us, well you guys pay for this.. boycot the sx and they start racing mx only again.. then you will have a better chance for 2019
10/8/2018 1:45am
I can't be the only one who enjoys the supercross season more then the motocross... I always get bored of the MX season..doesn't have the intensity...
I can't be the only one who enjoys the supercross season more then the motocross...
I always get bored of the MX season..doesn't have the intensity of the supercross racing.

WCRider wrote:
You're not alone. Now, I prefer SX. I was a fan of the 1990/2000's MXGP's but now it's a total KTM world, it's boring. In SX...
You're not alone. Now, I prefer SX. I was a fan of the 1990/2000's MXGP's but now it's a total KTM world, it's boring. In SX, the skill rider still has a slight advantage over the bike. In MXGP it is just the opposite.

A good rider can become excellent on a KTM in MXGP while a good rider can become excellent in SX on any brand. That's the difference.

Put cairoli or herlings on a Yamaha they still win. Mx is not motogp
keinz
10/8/2018 2:03am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 3:22am
Titan1 wrote:
I think for this generation of GP riders are just better than the American riders...but that will change. The talent in MXGP is incredible right now...but...
I think for this generation of GP riders are just better than the American riders...but that will change.

The talent in MXGP is incredible right now...but MX2 is much weaker (with a few exceptions-but not enough exceptions to field 3 winning riders from any one country) while the talent the 250 nationals is much deeper than our 450 class...as this generation of riders (Cairoli to Herlings) starts to retire-and AC is the tip of that sword-you’ll see the MXDN wins come back to the Americans...because we do have the largest talent pool in the world, and what is happening right now is an anomaly, in that countries with such small populations have 3 winning riders.

And Americans caring so much about super cross isn’t helping the problem.

MX Sports needs to roughen up the tracks, and add a real sand track.

And how about our riders learn how to start?
What a heck are you talking about. MX2 is weaker in Europe? Our mx2 guys smoked both, Tomac and Barcia
Natester551v
10/8/2018 2:26am
VRR7 wrote:
Remember when Chad Watt's came to the GNCC series from the WEC and won a lot. When he went back to the WEC he was way...
Remember when Chad Watt's came to the GNCC series from the WEC and won a lot. When he went back to the WEC he was way off pace . Format - WEC has timed specials where speed is NB ! Less so in GNCC is less so - It is hare scramble v enduro format. USA ISDE results ?

As stated SX is a "show" like a circus - MX is more of a race.

When the FIM latched on to the success of the AMA series and took over or at least made effort to bring the MXGP to be better than AMA series is when it all changed -

So MXGP does 2 day race weekend of 20 rounds

AMA MX does 1 day race weekend of 12 rounds

Guess who is working harder towards being better ?

Giuseppe Luongo was tasked with resolving the pull and attraction of AMA v MXGP as the AMA was dominant and the MXGP was second rate a few years back - All his political moves has brought basic success to his task !
I think you mean Shane Watts (Chad was RC's mechanic before Goose).

Great points about speed and intensity. Similar scenarios with Juha Salminan and David Knight (who both crushed our GNCC regulars with sheer speed).
Motofinne
10/8/2018 2:42am
Nothing will change as long as the US industry keep using SX as the main reason for this and that there is nothing that can be done to turn it around. Is it a part of it? Yes. Did it help US riders in the past? Yes. But there is no way that there is nothing that can be done about this. And i assume that you want to be better?

The Euros was in this place once upon a time. Did they throw in the towel? No they started to look at what US based riders does different and started to adapt, internet made that easy.

Maybe it's time for the US based riders and the people in that industry to start looking at what the Euros does better. Whether it's how they train, what they train on, how the amateur scene is built (look at the EMX system in Europe) etc.
keinz
10/8/2018 3:01am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 3:26am
What I thik, is that Euros started to take serious about their training programs, diet and etc. It's all started with RC4. Then all the other US guys followed his steps if they wanted to be competitive and started their own RC training and diet program.Years to come and all the euros started to take theirpreparation serious too. Pure and simple. IMO

Robgvx
10/8/2018 3:13am
Well, at least we can say we are pit bike champions. So suck it Europe.
Team USA podiumed the ballot too. So not all bad. ?
hillbilly
10/8/2018 4:56am
teggers wrote:
I'm thinking Some of you all need to go out there actually race Every rider out there today was chancing a broken back and lifelong injuries...
I'm thinking

Some of you all need to go out there actually race

Every rider out there today was chancing a broken back and lifelong injuries.

You all suck judging this team.

By the way...... when you say WE SUCK.......your lifelong paralysis is not a WE.
Get your ass out there.

Fuck all of you for saying shit about this team.

You are fucking assholes.
Preach on it Tim.

Bunch of dipshits talking pride of country would prolly take a knee at the local high school football game.
sfairbro
10/8/2018 5:06am
My thoughts to win MXDN (or at least be top 3) or to have stronger outdoor riders. Not sure how to do this since so much money and time is in SX.
1. Less concentration on SX
2. Create more flowing tracks similar to MXGP
3. Feeder 125cc program to allow younger riders to ride toe national tracks. I know there was a 125cc fun race this year at selected nationals. Not the same.
4. Bring back Trans USA, Trans AM or Winter motocross

If USA continues to concentrate on SX, the days of winning are mostly gone.
10/8/2018 5:45am
Where do you go from here?

Maybe you go to Lommel or Grevenbroich and train for the MXdN in Assen?! Whistling
St Ann More
10/8/2018 5:48am

Maybe you go to Lommel or Grevenbroich and train for the MXdN in Assen?! Whistling
They'll have a month to train in Belgium/Holland after the Outdoors finishes!

I suspect Roger would want to be there early, much like with Lommel. How much do they want it?
MCarthur
Fantasy
4122nd
10/8/2018 5:52am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2018 5:55am
I think, USA just needs to be patient.

USA were clearly the best in the 80s, and there was SX. Then, the Europeans, and in particular the Belgian, succeeded in the 1990s in forming teams with 3 competitive riders. Then in the 2000s, the USA dominated the field again (And there was SX as well). For the past 7 or 8 years, European countries, and in particular the French, have been able to find 3 strong riders to form teams. That will not be always the case. That's the problem for European small countries (BEL, NEL, CH, etc) : find 3 top riders able to score top 15.
This is not the case for a country with +300M inhabitants such as the USA.

Imagine another format like the Ryder Cup (15 best USA riders vs 15 best EU riders). That would be different.
DeStouwer
10/8/2018 5:55am

They'll have a month to train in Belgium/Holland after the Outdoors finishes! I suspect Roger would want to be there early, much like with Lommel. How...

I suspect Roger would want to be there early, much like with Lommel. How much do they want it?
Not one US-rider will leave home for a month to prepare for a race in deep sand they don't really seem to care about.
10/8/2018 5:55am
They'll have a month to train in Belgium/Holland after the Outdoors finishes! I suspect Roger would want to be there early, much like with Lommel. How...

I hope they want it really bad!
Otherwise Assen won't be fun for Team USA.
Kyle_McNab
10/8/2018 5:59am
Everyone was over confident on the us side seems like everyone underestimated the mxgp boys. Most frustrating race I’ve ever watched and USA didn’t have any poor luck just straight up sucked. And to top it off France wins with ned getting a podium with 2 fuckin riders. That humble pie was served fresh
Steve125
Fantasy
2787th
10/8/2018 6:02am
5 weeks off since the last time you lined up at the gate and mixing in SX testing for Monster Cup are 2 strikes against Team USA.
10/8/2018 6:12am
They better send a team to Assen next year. Rather get our asses kicked (cant be worse than what just happened) than to puss out and not go.

Post a reply to: Team USA: Where do we go from Here

The Latest