Team USA: Where do we go from Here

cool_hand
10/7/2018 3:38pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2018 3:26pm
These were clearly the best in the AMA, with Barcia as a slight ? mark,...alter the AMA season to finish a week before MXdN?
|
jeffro503
10/7/2018 3:43pm
We need to concentrate more on outdoor's and get our guy's fast again. That's the bottom line , and 100% the truth.
racer495a
10/7/2018 3:44pm
Start with replacing Roger. Clearly we need a big change. We mine as well take next year off. That will be an even worse ass kicking
brocsdad
10/7/2018 3:50pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2018 3:52pm
Roger is definitely not the weak link! The Euros are faster and have been for a few years now. Nobody from the USA is going to touch Herlings in the near future and then you have Prada coming up who is just as fast if not faster than Herlings. The USA does concentrate more on SX because that is where the money is and if the rumors are correct the SX season will get longer and the national season will be shorter. I don’t know if anyone coming up throgh the ranks in the US that will touch the Euros.
Edd71
10/7/2018 3:52pm
More focus on outdoors. Thats the basic of motocross.

The Shop

10/7/2018 3:52pm
Watch the tracks the Euros ride during the week and watch the tracks the US guys ride during the week. Euros ride the Somme and the US ride the billiard table.
Training needs to change
es337
10/7/2018 3:53pm
If you cant be at them change the rules. Sxdn.
haydos25
Fantasy
3302nd
10/7/2018 3:53pm
Supercross has caused it. The top US based riders spend 7-8 months of the year either preparing for or racing supercross, then they part time for a few months in summer outdoors. That's if they're still fit enough after Supercross.

I cant see that changing anytime soon so maybe this is just the new norm.

Guarantee one thing, if they hold a SXdN next week the results would be fairly different. France still podium though.
TXDirt
10/7/2018 3:54pm
Where do we go from here???

Not to the MXDN,
Brent
10/7/2018 3:56pm
Watch the tracks the Euros ride during the week and watch the tracks the US guys ride during the week. Euros ride the Somme and the...
Watch the tracks the Euros ride during the week and watch the tracks the US guys ride during the week. Euros ride the Somme and the US ride the billiard table.
Training needs to change
I would agree.

Tomacs lightly watered home high desert track, or Pala (Fox) raceway is no prep for the European style conditions we had this weekend.
hamncheeze
10/7/2018 3:57pm
Well for next year I think the USA goes and gets roosted in Assen. I cannot see them on the podium at that race. 2 of the 3 best sand riders are Barcia and Tomac and it won't get better for them next year. The best team possible might be Tomac, Barcia and RJ Hampshire but that's no match for Holland, Italy, Belgium or France.

Beyond 2019, the USA needs to switch up the management, try to get a bit more team unity going, and clip all the bro-tards hanging around in the pits!
mwr
10/7/2018 3:58pm
Vegas.
blackdiamond
10/7/2018 4:00pm
I think part of the reason the European riders are better outdoors is because we over-prep all of our tracks and try to make them all the same every weekend in the AMA Nationals. On the GP circuit they race on a much broader range of conditions and after years and years of racing, it is clearly having an impact.

When RV got his ass kicked on the GP circuit in 2015 many Americans made excuses at the time for the beat down. The fact of the matter was that the Euro's were just better on natural MX tracks and they have continued to improve. They are even better now.

When the highlight of the weekend for the United States is KDub leading a lap in the B main, we clearly have a LOT of work to do.
FlaNard
10/7/2018 4:00pm
The B main?
drenmaster
Fantasy
1413th
10/7/2018 4:04pm
we need more threads started for more ideas of why we got our asses kicked today..
PVB
10/7/2018 4:06pm
Bultaco
10/7/2018 4:07pm
First thing that has to happen is the USA moto scene (corporate, riders, sanctioning groups, fans) has to want to be good at Motocross more than it wants the same in Supercross.
peltier626
10/7/2018 4:07pm
125's at every outdoor for future development of youth.
10/7/2018 4:08pm
I think it is fair to say that maybe SX does hurt the outdoor capabilities of the US team slightly, but I don’t think it’s as extreme as some make out.

But the fact of the matter is that if you want to compete on the world MX stage (and win), you need to benchmark yourself against the world standard, not your own national standard. Otherwise you end up isolating yourself with something that is effectively your own sport / sub-sport. Like being the best at American Football or NASCAR - yeah, no shit.

The US is just one nation on the world stage, and while they do have pedigree as the top dog historically, times change and things move on. But to stay relevant / competitive, you do need to face outwardly to the competition, not inwardly to your own series’. The world is a big place, and there’s plenty of talent out there.
bsharkey
10/7/2018 4:10pm
I think part of the reason the European riders are better outdoors is because we over-prep all of our tracks and try to make them all...
I think part of the reason the European riders are better outdoors is because we over-prep all of our tracks and try to make them all the same every weekend in the AMA Nationals. On the GP circuit they race on a much broader range of conditions and after years and years of racing, it is clearly having an impact.

When RV got his ass kicked on the GP circuit in 2015 many Americans made excuses at the time for the beat down. The fact of the matter was that the Euro's were just better on natural MX tracks and they have continued to improve. They are even better now.

When the highlight of the weekend for the United States is KDub leading a lap in the B main, we clearly have a LOT of work to do.
The guy wanted to retire. Bad example. I heard plenty of stories about the disconnect beteween the bikes, mechanics and him. It would have probably been a different story if he had his mechanics from over here and is bikesmith over here
olds cool
10/7/2018 4:13pm
All I know is today was a MONSTER disappointment.
St Ann More
10/7/2018 4:15pm
Assen... 2019... for redemption? USA USA USA! No?
JRT812
10/7/2018 4:18pm
I don’t understand why some think Roger needs to leave. I could care less who is in the spot, but I am pretty sure the person has nothing to do with our guys speed.
dirtmike86
10/7/2018 4:18pm
You guys crack me up. We didn't win. We won't win next year or the year after. So just take a deep breath, get over it. I for one am looking forward to straight rhythm. Out of all the races ive been to in the 25 years ive been watching racing its been the most fun. Or drunkest.
Nighttrain
10/7/2018 4:21pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2018 4:22pm
brocsdad wrote:
Roger is definitely not the weak link! The Euros are faster and have been for a few years now. Nobody from the USA is going to...
Roger is definitely not the weak link! The Euros are faster and have been for a few years now. Nobody from the USA is going to touch Herlings in the near future and then you have Prada coming up who is just as fast if not faster than Herlings. The USA does concentrate more on SX because that is where the money is and if the rumors are correct the SX season will get longer and the national season will be shorter. I don’t know if anyone coming up throgh the ranks in the US that will touch the Euros.
Well said. Matthes and others have spoken about FELD’s plans to lengthen the SX series which would cause a reduction in the number of MX events.

Ideas to improve our MXdN results can be bantered about endlessly on Vital and on podcasts but as long as Supercross is the focus of the rider’s contracts (and advertiser’s dollars) then nothing will change. In fact the gap in motocross skills will grow worse for US riders as more SX events are added.
10/7/2018 4:22pm
The likelihood of it happening is very low indeed, but the best thing the US could do now would be to win next year at Assen. That would be the ultimate redemption.

But it’s not going to happen, not least because winning the MXoN is just so damn tough. So little margin for error, so much opportunity for misfortune. The odds are stacked against winning, even with a top team. The number of variables in a format like this is insane. You need an unpredictable blend of luck, perfection, consistency, and poor luck for the competition.

I wonder what the raw statistical odds of winning a race format like this would be, even if you field a world-class team.
cbuehler767
10/7/2018 4:22pm
I think part of the reason the European riders are better outdoors is because we over-prep all of our tracks and try to make them all...

bsharkey wrote:
The guy wanted to retire. Bad example. I heard plenty of stories about the disconnect beteween the bikes, mechanics and him. It would have probably been...
The guy wanted to retire. Bad example. I heard plenty of stories about the disconnect beteween the bikes, mechanics and him. It would have probably been a different story if he had his mechanics from over here and is bikesmith over here
X2. 2015 RV was already retired in his head and over it. 2013 RV destroys everyone
rutsmash
10/7/2018 4:23pm
Next year will be the first time I will feel that I'm not watching the best in the world while watching the AMA outdoors.
St Ann More
10/7/2018 4:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/7/2018 4:26pm
haydos25 wrote:
Supercross has caused it. The top US based riders spend 7-8 months of the year either preparing for or racing supercross, then they part time for...
Supercross has caused it. The top US based riders spend 7-8 months of the year either preparing for or racing supercross, then they part time for a few months in summer outdoors. That's if they're still fit enough after Supercross.

I cant see that changing anytime soon so maybe this is just the new norm.

Guarantee one thing, if they hold a SXdN next week the results would be fairly different. France still podium though.
Less than a decade ago and the previous 20 years before that everyone stated SX was the reason Team USA were so dominant!

Post a reply to: Team USA: Where do we go from Here

The Latest