Team Puerto Rico raises $15K in donations

MXerDW
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

2018 MXoN TEAM PUERTO RICO ANNOUNCES FIRST ROUND OF DONATIONS
San Juan, PR – Just four days after the Federación de Motociclismo de Puerto Rico Inc. announced their 2018 Monster Energy FIM Motocross of Nations team, Team Puerto Rico is excited to announce they have already raised $15K USD and that money is going straight to the Federation De Motociclismo who will put the funds to work throughout the Puerto Rican community.

Pastrana said about the announcement, “The support we received at Unadilla was unreal and the motocross community has already responded in a big way. I can’t wait to get back to the track after so many years away. I’m looking forward to being a part of this fun project and can’t wait to get down to PR later this year and work hands on to help rebuild what we can with the funds we raise.”

With the Motocross of Nations less than two months away, Coach Ricky Johnson is taking the appropriate measures to ensure Pastrana and the rest of the team are in top shape to qualify for this prestigious race. “ I’m more than honored to represent the team and Puerto Rico.” said Johnson on the project. “After we announced our intention to qualify for Nations at Unadilla, the fans were estatic to support the cause. A family came up during the signing with words of encouragement, cash for a donation, and requested nothing in return. It’s amazing to see how tight knit this [the motocross] community is.”

Gabriel Catala, spokesman for the Federación de Motociclismo de Puerto Rico Inc., is thrilled the support they have received thus far. “We are very proud and overwhelmed by the effort and support given to Puerto Rico by the mx industry and hope that we can accomplish much more moving forward.” said Catala on the successful announcement of Team Puerto Rico.

For more information, team updates and to offer your support head to www.ronsontop.com.
|
kb228
8/17/2018 10:56am
Blackout of the mac
CozMan
8/17/2018 11:11am
mxwrench66 wrote:
Seems odd this didnt make the main page.
Media blackout
LOL. I assume you're being a bit snarky with this, but if they (the media) don't cover this team in the proper way (ala the 125 races)...they will NEVER live this down.

The Shop

8/17/2018 11:48am
I wish they wouldn't cover this team. They don't deserve the exposure and are only taking away from what really matters, Team USA. Flame on.
Dimblewambie
8/17/2018 12:25pm
I wish they wouldn't cover this team. They don't deserve the exposure and are only taking away from what really matters, Team USA. Flame on.
While other teams are out there trying to raise money for themselves to go line up at the event, Mac,TP and Sipes out there benefiting a country in need. Major props to them, they deserve all the attention they get for this.
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
8/17/2018 12:44pm
And how much of this money that's raised will actually go to the people who need it I wonder?
We have laws to protect the "donation" term. They can't touch any of the money for building bikes, gear, etc. They can use it for travel and media expense. Although there are some loopholes for being supplied goods for a charitable cause. Not sure how it works in mx, this is a unique situation they are in. I believe they can't spend more than 35% of the donation on overhead.
Dimblewambie
8/17/2018 12:52pm
And how much of this money that's raised will actually go to the people who need it I wonder?
skeef wrote:
We have laws to protect the "donation" term. They can't touch any of the money for building bikes, gear, etc. They can use it for travel...
We have laws to protect the "donation" term. They can't touch any of the money for building bikes, gear, etc. They can use it for travel and media expense. Although there are some loopholes for being supplied goods for a charitable cause. Not sure how it works in mx, this is a unique situation they are in. I believe they can't spend more than 35% of the donation on overhead.
Just curious, how does that law apply to the items they are selling vs. true donations? Obviously we’ll have to take their word for whatever the final number is, and I dont believe they’d attempt to deceive us.
MXerDW
8/17/2018 1:02pm
Team Puerto Rico is excited to announce they have already raised $15K USD and that money is going straight to the Federation De Motociclismo who will put the funds to work throughout the Puerto Rican community.
magoo1982
8/17/2018 1:17pm
Agreed . pastrana should do one of his circus shows and donate money , would prob have more to donate and not cheapin the MXoNs ...
8/17/2018 1:18pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2018 1:20pm
While other teams are out there trying to raise money for themselves to go line up at the event, Mac,TP and Sipes out there benefiting a...
While other teams are out there trying to raise money for themselves to go line up at the event, Mac,TP and Sipes out there benefiting a country in need. Major props to them, they deserve all the attention they get for this.
There's plenty of ways to help Puerto Rico aside from making a joke of this prestigious event. Travis Pastrana could raise money doing anything. He could also easily donate as much as will be raised himself without even noticing the money missing.

Edit: Looks like magoo got the jump on me.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
8/17/2018 1:28pm
They've raised 15K in less than a week. Wonder how much they'll do AT the mxon when ronnie is partying with all the drunk people and their soon to be empty wallets. Long as the mac isnt goofing off in the motos and actually tries to finish good (I think thisll be the case) then I'm calling it a success and excited to get to witness this.
MXMattii
8/17/2018 1:51pm
I think GuyB is on the road and maybe one of the guys is at the SHOT convention and is now heading home. So no time man no time.
jmb227
8/17/2018 1:53pm
Face it the prestige of the MxDN died years ago. If this was so Prestigious it would actually be televised. It would make a backpage of ESPN.com plain and simple noone cares except a few fans. The riders dont even want to ride anymore and most of the fans that are their are just their because its finally a race where you get to see the american riders go up against the rest of the world. Outside of that noone really cares. Well except for a few on Vital who are mad that someone is doing something that is bringing exposure to the sport and raising money for a good cause......
SCR
8/17/2018 2:11pm
Man the negative Nancy stink around this place is unbelievable. I just bought a T-shirt to try to off set the negative mojo from reading to many Vital posts.

Two former MXDN champions, the first American to ever win the overall at ISDE, and a guy who raced his ass off at the highest level for a decade are going to go race two strokes and raise some money for a good cause.
I cant find fault with that.

8/17/2018 2:18pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2018 2:22pm
There's plenty of ways to help Puerto Rico aside from making a joke of this prestigious event. Travis Pastrana could raise money doing anything. He could...
There's plenty of ways to help Puerto Rico aside from making a joke of this prestigious event. Travis Pastrana could raise money doing anything. He could also easily donate as much as will be raised himself without even noticing the money missing.

Edit: Looks like magoo got the jump on me.
How are they making a joke of this prestigious event? There are rules that will prevent any nonsense from going on on the track during the race. And if you're angry about what they do in the pits then I don't think you know much about what goes on at any MXdN among the spectators.

I also don't even understand why you're mad? All they've done at this point is raise money for a good cause, for all you and I know that might be all they plan to do and never intended on actually riding.
8/17/2018 2:39pm
skeef wrote:
We have laws to protect the "donation" term. They can't touch any of the money for building bikes, gear, etc. They can use it for travel...
I was talking about how much will get through to the people of PR after crooked politions get their greedy hands on it.
joshflo
8/17/2018 3:00pm
Some of you people act like this is the Belmont stakes lol. It’s at redbud for god sakes. Idk about you guys but I’ve never seen a dude with a chainsaw and a mullet chug a beer out of a front fender at a prestigious event
peelout
8/17/2018 3:03pm
the official PR is buried alongside GrapeApe's phone under a huge ass booter at GH
GIwasB4
8/17/2018 3:05pm
peelout wrote:
the official PR is buried alongside GrapeApe's phone under a huge ass booter at GH
Insert DD snowboard video
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
8/17/2018 3:39pm
peelout wrote:
I gave up after my last attempt when Jody chased me off with a rake. We'll never know the results of the 125 dream race, and Page 3 on VitalMX is the best this PR from PR is going to do.

On a related note, someone from Federation De Motociclismo de Puerto Rico, Inc. is enjoying a nice steak dinner tonight, and ordering Remy Martin Louis XIII for the house.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/17/2018 4:51pm
I like the idea that PR is going to get some help out of this.

Being that it's a charitable contribution, I'm sure it's going through a properly registered charity, so you know what portion is going for expenses, and how much is going to the charity.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/17/2018 5:22pm
We don't do politics in here.
jeffro503
8/17/2018 5:47pm
They can't cover both?
jeffro503
8/17/2018 5:50pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2018 5:51pm
jmb227 wrote:
Face it the prestige of the MxDN died years ago. If this was so Prestigious it would actually be televised. It would make a backpage of...
Face it the prestige of the MxDN died years ago. If this was so Prestigious it would actually be televised. It would make a backpage of ESPN.com plain and simple noone cares except a few fans. The riders dont even want to ride anymore and most of the fans that are their are just their because its finally a race where you get to see the american riders go up against the rest of the world. Outside of that noone really cares. Well except for a few on Vital who are mad that someone is doing something that is bringing exposure to the sport and raising money for a good cause......
It is televised. The full 3 hour event is televised , and has been for quite a few years. Delayed a bit , but it's still on same day.
SoCalMX70
8/17/2018 6:28pm
Some of you guys need to go ride this weekend.
JM485
8/17/2018 8:41pm
SoCalMX70 wrote:
Some of you guys need to go ride this weekend.
This cannot be quoted enough.

Post a reply to: Team Puerto Rico raises $15K in donations

The Latest