Announced - Team Canada MXdN

Related:
Create New Tag

7/18/2017 6:16 PM

Well Team Canada has been picked and although it's a great team I personally believe it could be better.

MXGP = Colton Facciotti #28
MX2 = Shawn Maffenbeier #29
MX Open= Tyler Medaglia #30

If I had my choice MXGP would be Kaven Benoit, MX Open Colton Facciotti and MX2 Cole Thompson or Tyler Medaglia.

Shawn Maffenbeier has been riding good and he's fast but he hits the ground a lot. I feel Thompson is more consistent, just as fast and has more international experience which I believe goes a long ways at a race of that caliber. Tyler Medaglia is a 2 times MX2/250 champ and I feel he could do real well on the smaller bike considering he's only 145 pounds. He's been riding really well in the MX1/450 this season but the team I mentioned would be in my opinion one of if not the strongest team Canada could have sent.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

7/18/2017 6:35 PM

Why no Benoit?

|

7/18/2017 6:41 PM

MX des Nations is correct for all you kiddos.

|

7/18/2017 6:53 PM

Monk wrote:

Why no Benoit?

Ankle injury I believe according to Matthes

|

shit'll buff out

7/18/2017 7:30 PM

It's a shame Benoit's season has been derailed by a foot injury sustained at an off season sx.

It's a good solid team. Benoit and Thompson would be good also

|

7/18/2017 7:31 PM

Monk wrote:

Why no Benoit?

moscrop940 wrote:

Ankle injury I believe according to Matthes

He broke it last winter in Germany and was only on the bike for just over a month before the series started. He was doing great at round 1 and was pulling away but washed the front end and injured his ankle again. It wasn't 100% going in the series and after that he took the next couple of rounds off.

This past weekend he had a big crash so he might of hurt it again. He's apparently fine but who knows maybe he's the one that told them no not this year in order to get some time off to heal properly and be 100% healthy for next season which is obviously more important.

Still would love to see him at the big race especially after last year's race. He was looking even stronger at the start of the series even with the limited amount of time on the bike.

We'll be seeing him for quite some time as he extended his contract with KTM for another 3 years earlier this year.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

7/18/2017 7:39 PM

Benoit - still recovering from injury and not at 100%...yet.
Cole Thompson - a thumb that's painful to look at & could be a problem for a while.

All that taken into consideration, I think the riders chosen are perfect.

Everyone chosen is currently healthy and has shown "excellence and success" on the race track.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

7/18/2017 7:43 PM

There's no doubt it's a great team I just think it's not the best team we could have. It sucks that injuries are part of the sport but that's how that cards fell this year.

Still a strong team and I hope we have a great showing.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

7/18/2017 7:47 PM

Solid team. They could do pretty well.

|

7/18/2017 8:33 PM

At least they're sending a damn team, which is a huge improvement over years past.

|

7/18/2017 9:04 PM

scooter5002 wrote:

At least they're sending a damn team, which is a huge improvement over years past.

Totally agree on this. Good thing Andre from OTSFF is in shipping. He covers all those expenses and that's not cheap. Total write off for his company but still that's a huge help on his part.

I can't wait to see the day we send a team and beat our best finish (7th) at the big race.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

7/18/2017 9:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2017 9:30 PM

Fat Yotes, Kaven, and Cole would be a friggin awesome team. That said, it's still a pretty decent team we're sending.

|

7/18/2017 10:47 PM

Back in the Blair Morgan years, Canada had the most awesome white with a Big Red Mapleaf helmets. So clean and sexy.

|

7/18/2017 10:52 PM

scooter5002 wrote:

At least they're sending a damn team, which is a huge improvement over years past.

...someone at CMRC got a new credit card with a high limit?
silly

|

7/18/2017 11:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2017 11:59 PM

Thumper243 wrote:

Back in the Blair Morgan years, Canada had the most awesome white with a Big Red Mapleaf helmets. So clean and sexy.

2007

Photo
Photo

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

7/19/2017 4:02 AM

Seems like a solid team. Benoit was awesome last year so it's a shame he didn't get picked, but I guess he's been injured and is still not 100% yet

|

7/19/2017 9:55 AM

RG1 wrote:

Seems like a solid team. Benoit was awesome last year so it's a shame he didn't get picked, but I guess he's been injured and is still not 100% yet

Kaven had a crash on Sunday so went and got checked out at the hospital. Turns out he lacerated his liver so it appears he'll be out for a little while.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

7/19/2017 10:29 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Well Team Canada has been picked and although it's a great team I personally believe it could be better.

MXGP = Colton Facciotti #28
MX2 = Shawn Maffenbeier #29
MX Open= Tyler Medaglia #30

If I had my choice MXGP would be Kaven Benoit, MX Open Colton Facciotti and MX2 Cole Thompson or Tyler Medaglia.

Shawn Maffenbeier has been riding good and he's fast but he hits the ground a lot. I feel Thompson is more consistent, just as fast and has more international experience which I believe goes a long ways at a race of that caliber. Tyler Medaglia is a 2 times MX2/250 champ and I feel he could do real well on the smaller bike considering he's only 145 pounds. He's been riding really well in the MX1/450 this season but the team I mentioned would be in my opinion one of if not the strongest team Canada could have sent.

Maff has stepped up, he's a solid choice.

Injury aside, it doesn't seem like Thompson was very interested in the event anyway.

It's a shame about Benoit, but Facciotti and Medaglia are capable of the same if they bring their A-game.

Top 10 is a good goal.

|

7/19/2017 11:27 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Well Team Canada has been picked and although it's a great team I personally believe it could be better.

MXGP = Colton Facciotti #28
MX2 = Shawn Maffenbeier #29
MX Open= Tyler Medaglia #30

If I had my choice MXGP would be Kaven Benoit, MX Open Colton Facciotti and MX2 Cole Thompson or Tyler Medaglia.

Shawn Maffenbeier has been riding good and he's fast but he hits the ground a lot. I feel Thompson is more consistent, just as fast and has more international experience which I believe goes a long ways at a race of that caliber. Tyler Medaglia is a 2 times MX2/250 champ and I feel he could do real well on the smaller bike considering he's only 145 pounds. He's been riding really well in the MX1/450 this season but the team I mentioned would be in my opinion one of if not the strongest team Canada could have sent.

Adam43 wrote:

Maff has stepped up, he's a solid choice.

Injury aside, it doesn't seem like Thompson was very interested in the event anyway.

It's a shame about Benoit, but Facciotti and Medaglia are capable of the same if they bring their A-game.

Top 10 is a good goal.

Sure Maffenbeier has stepped up and like I mentioned he's fast but inconsistent and hits the ground a lot. This will be his second time going to MXdN so hopefully the nerves won't get to him as much.

As far as Colt and Tyler producing the same kind of results as Kaven I don't know about that. Personally I think Benoit has a bit more speed than both of them.

I agree that a top 10 is a good goal. In the end I'm just glad we're sending a team and making an appearance at the race.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

7/19/2017 11:40 AM

#Pettis2018mxon smile

|

7/19/2017 11:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2017 11:49 AM

I'd send Maff ahead of Thompson regardless. This is still a great team although if Benoit was healthy a Benoit/Maff/Faciotti team would be ideal.

|